Hi, thinking of reinstalling but...!

Hey there,

Now these kind of topics come a long quite a bit I think and the obvious answer is "just re-install and see for yourself", but yea, I might just do that, but before I do!

I play GW2 the same way I played GW1... I played GW1 for a long time, then left it for a few months/years just to come back and catch up with everything. It was good fun. I wanted to do the same with GW2 and I'm fine with buying the DLC's as I did with GW1 but....

• Is Living World still a thing? And primarily the "if you didn't login during the time period it was active you now need to pay half your soul to play it" part?
  • We can go to Elona now, true?
  • Last thing I remember playing is the story mission where the Pale Tree was attacked by a Dragon, a lot more content now after that I guess? :D
  • I was busy working on my first Legendary but kinda quit with that cause I got bored, is it easier / different now? (I still got some Gold I think)

I don't mind paying for the DLC's but paying gems / money for mini stories etc is a massive no-go for me I guess.

Cheers,

P.S. to add, I currently live in a place where I have like 200kb/s download speed so hence this topic before I even attempt to download it... lol

@"Furesy.6935" said:Hey there,

Now these kind of topics come a long quite a bit I think and the obvious answer is "just re-install and see for yourself", but yea, I might just do that, but before I do!

I play GW2 the same way I played GW1... I played GW1 for a long time, then left it for a few months/years just to come back and catch up with everything. It was good fun. I wanted to do the same with GW2 and I'm fine with buying the DLC's as I did with GW1 but....

• Is Living World still a thing? And primarily the "if you didn't login during the time period it was active you now need to pay half your soul to play it" part?Yeah you have to buy the Episodes, even though they are not so expensive and really worth it. (Maybe leave gw2 on your pc and at least log in every 3 months to unlock them in the future?^^)
  • We can go to Elona now, true?Ohhhhhhhh yes
  • Last thing I remember playing is the story mission where the Pale Tree was attacked by a Dragon, a lot more content now after that I guess? :DIndeed, much has happened since then, including better story writting.
  • I was busy working on my first Legendary but kinda quit with that cause I got bored, is it easier / different now? (I still got some Gold I think)There are the gen2 legendarys now, where besides 5 or so just need gold and karma to get, no more world exploration (though they are a little more expansive to make then gen 1)

I don't mind paying for the DLC's but paying gems / money for mini stories etc is a massive no-go for me I guess.If you have still gold as you said, then you could transform the ingame gold for gems and then buy the episodes with that ;). I think each living world episode of 2 cost 200gems each or 1280 if bought as a paket https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack , and the living world season 3 whole cost 960gems https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack . Otherwise it would be ~ 25$ for both.

Cheers,

P.S. to add, I currently live in a place where I have like 200kb/s download speed so hence this topic before I even attempt to download it... lol

@"Furesy.6935" said:

• Is Living World still a thing? And primarily the "if you didn't login during the time period it was active you now need to pay half your soul to play it" part?

Yes and yes. Living World episodes are free as long as you play the episodes during the release window. After a new episode comes out, you need to pay 200 gems for the previous episode.

• I was busy working on my first Legendary but kinda quit with that cause I got bored, is it easier / different now? (I still got some Gold I think)

Easier isn't the right word to describe it. Less stressful is a better term for that. Since HoT, you can increase your mastery level by gather mastery points. You can then use those mastery points on the legendary crafting manual which allows you to keep replicas of precursors for legendary weapons, meaning you no longer have to gamble for rares to give you a precursor.

Yes, and unfortunately yes. I never understood the model of limiting content to only those who log in at the right time or buy them separately.

Yes.

Yes

I'm not the guy to ask for this one since my method of obtaining legendaries has just been, get lots of money and buy the legendary from TP but iirc, the precursor is a lot easier to get but you're still on your own for the other materials.

@Magek.4718 said:

1. Yes, and unfortunately yes. I never understood the model of limiting content to only those who log in at the right time or buy them separately.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes
  4. I'm not the guy to ask for this one since my method of obtaining legendaries has just been, get lots of money and buy the legendary from TP but iirc, the precursor is a lot easier to get but you're still on your own for the other materials.

They do it becouse they want you to login to the game mate.If you login there is a chance you buy something in the store or keep playing and buy something the next week or month etc.

• Last thing I remember playing is the story mission where the Pale Tree was attacked by a Dragon, a lot more content now after that I guess? :D

I don't mind paying for the DLC's but paying gems / money for mini stories etc is a massive no-go for me I guess.

Cheers,

What's the difference between a DLC and a mini-story? GW2's Living Story is almost exactly the same as my other MMO's DLCs, the only difference is that the ones called DLC cost at least £8 instead of £2 for a Living Story update and there's no way to get them free or with in-game gold. I understand not wanting to pay extra on top of the purchase price of a game, but I don't understand objecting to it because it's given a different name.

Other than that: Yes there's a lot more content. You left towards the end of Season 2 of the Living Story. Since then there's been the rest of Season 2, Heart of Thorns (1st expansion - everyone had to pay real money for it, set in the Maguuma Jungle), Season 3, Path of Fire (2nd expansion, set in Elona) and we're just starting Season 4. You will get the 2nd episode of Season 4 free if you log in, but the rest you'd have to pay for.

Depending on what you'd done towards your legendary it may be easier or about the same. They added the ability to craft precursors through a series of collections. It's not quick or cheap but by giving players another way to get them it took some of the control away from people who gambled for them or got them as drops, which dropped the prices and stopped the constant inflation we saw on them before. But the rest of the process is the same.

I'm glad you're going to try the game again.

To put things in perspective, the 6 Episodes of Living World Season 3 come with access to six new maps, with some content and rewards, in addition to the story episodes. The total amount paid, at full price, would be $15 US, the same amount needed to buy one month's sub (or "optional" sub) at some other MMO's.

A note about the free unlocking of LW episodes - you do not have to play the episode as it comes out to unlock it. All you have to do is log in to a character while it's "current" - from Season 3 onward that's a period of 2-3 months. While you need the expansion preceding the season to play it, you will "bank" the episode anyway.

Tl;dr - simply log in to the game world at any point during an episode to unlock it for free.

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:A note about the free unlocking of LW episodes - you do not have to play the episode as it comes out to unlock it. All you have to do is log in to a character while it's "current" - from Season 3 onward that's a period of 2-3 months. While you need the expansion preceding the season to play it, you will "bank" the episode anyway.

Tl;dr - simply log in to the game world at any point during an episode to unlock it for free.

This would work when one is at home, I've been backpacking and traveling for the last 2 years so that wasn't really possible :D

Guild Wars 2 = Season 1 & 2Heart of Thorns = Season 3. You need to buy this expansion before you even think of playing the season 3.Path of fire = Season 4 This expansion also needs to be bought before season 4.Season 4 episode 1 is out so is episode 2, episode 3 is due any week now, as soon as you have Path of Fire get ready to log in to unlock episode 3 no need to play it as it comes out, as you log in it's yours to keep. B)

In Heart of Thorn you will learn to glide, in Path of Fire you will learn to ride 5 different mounts, have fun. =)

Cheers,

Living world is still a thing. You can experience it anytime you want, but it is only free if you played when ot was released. Im not sure How you qualify pricing, but a full season cost About 15 euro’s/USD. For season 3 (and 4, but it isncurrently running and if you login now you only need chapter 1.

But.. when it. Omes to pricing. When you want to play season two, you can purchase it. When you want to purchase season three, you need to purchase HoT. When you want to purchase season 4 chapter one you need to buy PoF.

Now to your question about elona. There are four maps in elona. Two are part of path of fire (the others are in the crystal dessert, but like in gw1, people from elona went to the north and culturally it is now part of of elona as well, Well if you ignore the antigonists)

The maps are huge. One is the full desolation and one is the full vaabbi Area.

In the living world season 4 two more maps have been released.istan. This is half the island we know from gw1. You need to buy chapter oneSandswept isles. This is chapter two (free if you login now) it is north of istan and was not available in gw1. To me it is a lot better then the istan map (and the istan map is also very good).

You need to pay for expansions. The expansions are now extensief with living world seasons. An expansions cost 30 euro/usd. If you buy them together it is 50 usd. The living world seasons cost 15 euro per full season (so half the price). Season 3 (which is only 10 usd) also gives access to 6 new maps.

I use a lots of words to explain that I understand your sentiment, but the current living world seasons are still in the same payment model, but are much richer as it offers new maps, new content and new stories. It is an expansion to the expansion.

@Furesy.6935 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:A note about the free unlocking of LW episodes - you do
not
have to play the episode as it comes out to unlock it. All you have to do is
while it's "current" - from Season 3 onward that's a period of 2-3 months. While you need the expansion preceding the season to play it, you will "bank" the episode anyway.

Tl;dr - simply log in to the game world
at any point
during an episode to unlock it for free.

This would work when one is at home, I've been backpacking and traveling for the last 2 years so that wasn't really possible :D

Sounds like you got an amazing life experience out of your two years. Fair trade for not gettiing a few small zones unlocked in a video game I would say.

@"Furesy.6935" said:

If you consider the relatively low price for a LS episode "half your soul", then I would say not only is GW2 not for you, but the entire MMORPG genre.

No other mmo packs value into a content drop or expansion like GW does. If you consider these prices worthy of the "half your soul" hyperbole, you are better off looking at other games, and probably other genres.

Cheers,

I wonder why no one else is asking this...

What is your performance like with 200Kb download speeds? That is not fast and I am truly curious how well this runs for you with that low speed? Can you run high settings and go to larger events without massive lag?

@jbrother.1340 said:

Cheers,

What is your performance like with 200Kb download speeds? That is not fast and I am truly curious how well this runs for you with that low speed? Can you run high settings and go to larger events without massive lag?

I can kinda answer this, because in the past I did play GW2 with similar speeds. Performance is fine for the most part, but I did have issues at times when there were lots of players doing a big world event in a single area, or when there were particularly large zergs in WvW. It was usually hit or miss - sometimes I could do Tequatl with no issues (for example) and yet other times the latency would spike so high that it was basically unplayable. Graphical settings didn't appear to make any difference, it was more about the amount of players or the general integrity of my connection at the time.

But, that was quite some time ago, I am not sure if it would be any different now with two expacs launching.

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

Cheers,

I can kinda answer this, because in the past I did play GW2 with similar speeds. Performance is fine for the most part, but I did have issues at times when there were lots of players doing a big world event in a single area, or when there were particularly large zergs in WvW. It was usually hit or miss - sometimes I could do Tequatl with no issues (for example) and yet other times the latency would spike so high that it was basically unplayable. Graphical settings didn't appear to make any difference, it was more about the amount of players or the general integrity of my connection at the time.

But, that was quite some time ago, I am not sure if it would be any different now with two expacs launching.

Well I get lag in larger groups on a 60Mb service. I cannot imagine it runs well at all in that setting with those speeds.

Thanks for the response.

to the OP;

sounds like you don't want to spend anything and I totally understand but no one is making you and it is not required. I have a fully updated account and one vanilla account that I got cheap on some sale a long time back. I still play that one as well and it is fun. I just don't do the same things. I did buy some of LS2 as I missed it as I could not play during that time.

the overall cost I have incurred in this game is so much cheaper than any other mmo I have played. far far less than15$ apx in most pay monthly games.I buy gems about once every 2 months for fun get some keys or a mini or something just for fun. I do it out of amusement not obligation. It is totally fun to play without that as well and nothing I have done required it. I would try this out again and see if you can find some gaming happiness.

Archived