AFK farming and reports (merged)

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:@Obtena.7952 and you have made an assumption that my reply to another poster had anything to do with the economy.. it was not.. but please do keep speculating yourself instead of actually reading what is written.Reading hack sites is one thing, looking at the number of downloads of certain tools directly connected to the afk farming issue is another.. and its not just a few here and there.. but like I said, if you choose to ignore the issue that's up to you.Personally I live in hope that ANET one day might take it seriously and finally decide to do something about it to curb it or make a statement to advise it is now acceptable practice that we can all share in and whatever other nefarious activities are connected to it... either way at least then there will be clarity.

What tools exactly? Because AFK farming can be easily achieved with self written macro that Anet will never detect.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Honestly yeah, it's total BS. It DOES harm the economy, and it DOES harm other players.

I used to farm Elaborate Totems, manually. They were like 24 silver each, and I would load up on magic find food, get a boost etc and go to my farm spot. I'd run around killing any mobs and it was decent money, until I started noticing dreaded Minion Masters standing in a certain spot (just the right place to get their pets to quickly tag and kill the maximized amount of mobs). They were doing the same thing as me, except I was putting in real effort and time, while they were AFK abusing a game mechanic.

How much are Elaborate Totems now? 10 silver.

Tell me more about how it doesn't hurt the economy or players.

Okay, so we're throwing BS around now?The prices of a lot of materials went down because they literally rain down in PoF and S4.Did you know you can buy bags of T6 mats in any of the S4 maps? And that you can rake up 20-40 rares per cycle of Istan?I have ZERO reason to believe the market crashed from a bunch of afk farmers instead of a few maps designed to create literal tons upon tons of ex-valuable resource

Scroll down past that, you'll see I clarified that I meant Engraved Totems, not Elaborate Totems (T4, not T6).

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Honestly yeah, it's total BS. It DOES harm the economy, and it DOES harm other players.

I used to farm Elaborate Totems, manually. They were like 24 silver each, and I would load up on magic find food, get a boost etc and go to my farm spot. I'd run around killing any mobs and it was decent money, until I started noticing dreaded Minion Masters standing in a certain spot (just the right place to get their pets to quickly tag and kill the maximized amount of mobs). They were doing the same thing as me, except I was putting in real effort and time, while they were AFK abusing a game mechanic.

Okay, so we're throwing BS around now?The prices of a lot of materials went down because they literally rain down in PoF and S4.Did you know you can buy bags of T6 mats in any of the S4 maps? And that you can rake up 20-40 rares per cycle of Istan?I have ZERO reason to believe the market crashed from a bunch of afk farmers instead of a few maps designed to create literal tons upon tons of ex-valuable resource

Scroll down past that, you'll see I clarified that I meant Engraved Totems, not Elaborate Totems (T4, not T6).

Ooh right, apologies.Well.. can't beat 'em, join 'em, i guess

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:@Obtena.7952 and you have made an assumption that my reply to another poster had anything to do with the economy.. it was not.. but please do keep speculating yourself instead of actually reading what is written.Reading hack sites is one thing, looking at the number of downloads of certain tools directly connected to the afk farming issue is another.. and its not just a few here and there.. but like I said, if you choose to ignore the issue that's up to you.Personally I live in hope that ANET one day might take it seriously and finally decide to do something about it to curb it or make a statement to advise it is now acceptable practice that we can all share in and whatever other nefarious activities are connected to it... either way at least then there will be clarity.

What tools exactly? Because AFK farming can be easily achieved with self written macro that Anet will never detect.

Oh please... go do some research... I mean you spent numerous hours recently trying to argue anets ban wave after detecting those same hack tools was bad and unjust... ya know your favourite false positive crusade

You brought up the argument, so it's on you to back up your words. Until then, they are considered empty claims.

There's a presumption that some of us know better than ANet what is or what isn't important to the health of the game. Since they have run a successful game studio for 10 years producing popular MMOs, I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt over any of us to know what works and what doesn't.

To convince them that their policies need changing, it's going to take more than repeating the same things, especially if it's nothing more than, "I don't like what other people are doing, make them stop."

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

T4s have gone down in price because T6s have. It's called Laurel->T4 conversion. When T3 or T4 are the most profitable, that's what people buy. I do not believe there's a single other (big) reason. T4 farming would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Oh please... go do some research... I mean you spent numerous hours recently trying to argue anets ban wave after detecting those same hack tools was bad and unjust... ya know your favourite false positive crusade

You brought up the argument, so it's on you to back up your words. Until then, they are considered empty claims.How are they empty claims.. ANET themselves highlighted the exact same tools that were being used,.as well you know. and I have already named several in this thread already, please stop firing off empty statement just for effect.As for your macro comment.. yes we all know you can create them.. and that is why if you believe someone to be afk farming report and let anet decide.. as for being undetectable, you sound confident ..

@anonymous.7812 said:

T4s have gone down in price because T6s have. It's called Laurel->T4 conversion. When T3 or T4 are the most profitable, that's what people buy. I do not believe there's a single other (big) reason. T4 farming would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list.

Yeah, January last year they were worth 8s or so, they spiked up to 20s for some reason (new legendaries maybe) and it seems like they're adjusting back down.

I doubt it's all that much to do with AFK farming though. A slow down in the introduction of new legendaries, maybe?

On the economy, most tiers of mats can be purchased with unbound/volitile magic and then sold. I know I blow my stacks of magic on them, I sell what I don't need. If you get alot of people doing that the cost will go down. I don't think the amount they get from inattentive farming is dropping the prices that much. Since PoF launched we had a whole slew of mats flood into the market, ectos had dropped to a point the devs did something. But that's just my opinion. ?

@Pifil.5193 said:

Yeah, January last year they were worth 8s or so, they spiked up to 20s for some reason (new legendaries maybe) and it seems like they're adjusting back down.

I doubt it's all that much to do with AFK farming though. A slow down in the introduction of new legendaries, maybe?

No it's what I said, T6 dropped, so T3 and T4 became better to buy with laurels, slowly dropping prices for both of those tiers. The big spike was Legendary Armor released, little spikes were probably a new weapon.

@anonymous.7812 said:

No it's what I said, T6 dropped, so T3 and T4 became better to buy with laurels, slowly dropping prices for both of those tiers. The big spike was Legendary Armor released, little spikes were probably a new weapon.

Ah, of course, that makes sense, there were spikes when they added the WvW and PvP armour too. I suppose some people had enough tokens and tickets saved to begin creating those, or else it was speculators.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Ah, of course, that makes sense, there were spikes when they added the WvW and PvP armour too. I suppose some people had enough tokens and tickets saved to begin creating those, or else it was speculators.

Yeah.. also way less people made WvW/PvP armor -- and if they did, it's spread out a lot more, since the PvE people were sitting on their tokens for many months.

Banning the ppl or taking out the loot of a spot (the "farmer" would simply move to the next spot) is not the proper way to solve this issue - at least imho. Maybe having minions like we had in GW1 - with a strong life degeneration, which you could heal but only with care because you had to sacrifice your own hit points for that. At least it would be harder if not impossible to farm afk like that. Might still work if ppl are properly playing though and thats totally ok.

• 1 month later...

If you think about how MMOs work, they all have an infinite supply of stuff to farm.eg if I go and find an ore node and farm it , the total amount of ore in the game doesnt reduce, as the ore node will magically come back some time later.So me farming something doesnt reduce the amount of stuff thats left for anyone else to farm.So it doesnt matter to the economy whether I farm stuff by moving around and farming it , or I stand still and farm stuff, the total amount of stuff thats available for anyone else to farm stays the same.The effect on the economy is determined not by how people are farming stuff, but by how many people at any given time are farming stuff.How the people are doing the farming doesnt matter.As another example, I quite frequently stand in the TP and buy and sell stuff, and make money in the process.During this time Im not moving at all.

I don't care about them. If Anet doesn't, why should I? Afk farmers aren't taking anything away from me and at times it saved my rear end to run towards the afk necro while beeing chased.

I'd appreciate if this wasn't a thing in the game and if Anet would do something against it, only because it promotes lazyness and entitlement to getting stuff for free. But it's a minor issue in GW2 as you are not competing for kills or mats with other players.

Well report me for watching series with gw2 open. And please do /w me so I can get a good laugh :p.Afk farming has almost zero impact on the game. 1person farming Istan has the impact of maybe 20people afk farming, dont be jelly.

It isnt an exploit, weve had this topic going on for a long time. Please close this.

@"Sariel.2143" said:It isnt an exploit, weve had this topic going on for a long time. Please close this.

This thread is about afk farming, which is an exploit. If you are under the impression that "we had this topic going for a long time" and "it isn't an exploit" then it seems you did not read the threads that were about this topic, or you did not understand them.

If you pay enough attention to the game so that you will see when a GM tries to contact you, then it isn't an exploit, and it also is not afk-farming, because ArenaNet defines afk in this context as "being unresponsive to interaction" with a GM.

In short, either you are afk-farming and wrong about it not being an exploit - or you are not afk-farming and your post is off-topic in this thread because this is about people who are afk.

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@"Sariel.2143" said:It isnt an exploit, weve had this topic going on for a long time. Please close this.

This thread is about afk farming, which is an exploit. If you are under the impression that "we had this topic going for a long time" and "it isn't an exploit" then it seems you did not read the threads that were about this topic, or you did not understand them.

If you pay enough attention to the game so that you will see when a GM tries to contact you, then it isn't an exploit, and it also is not afk-farming, because ArenaNet defines afk in this context as "being unresponsive to interaction" with a GM.

In short, either you are afk-farming and wrong about it not being an exploit - or you are not afk-farming and your post is off-topic in this thread because this is about people who are afk.

This thread isnt only about afk farming. Even tho OP called it that. He said he reports everyone he sees in the same spot.That includes idle farming. And Ive read enough about these posts. Anet gave a response half a year ago and we still get topics like this.If people did some research beforehand..This topic has zero purpose.

@Sariel.2143 said:

@Sariel.2143 said:It isnt an exploit, weve had this topic going on for a long time. Please close this.

This thread isnt only about afk farming. Even tho OP called it that. He said he reports everyone he sees in the same spot.That includes idle farming. And Ive read enough about these posts. Anet gave a response half a year ago and we still get topics like this.If people did some research beforehand..This topic has zero purpose.

The OP was already 6 weeks old. This thread was done. It was brought up again by a person making a post saying basically "afk-farming is fine". I don't think you can blame people to respond to that. If you want to read less about this topic it was not a good idea to bump the thread yourself by adding another reply that was about a 6 week old already ended conversation ;)

I'm doing some kind of this farming while i open SW bags and PoF Loot wich i collect within a few weeks or months and clearing/selling the inventory. It often takes around a hour. So why should i stay in LA or DR when i can get some extra loot? About an half year ago i was whispered ingame by a gm, i told him what i'm doing and it was okay. Got no ban or something else.

Whether afk farming is or isnt harmful or an exploit or whatever you want to call it , is really not relevant as Anet have chosen for their own purposes not to do much about it , so threads like this dont serve any useful purpose other than allowing people to rant.Some in game problems like this cant be fixed without imposing some impediment on all other players who arnt involved, so its quite often best to do nothing.

@"mauried.5608" said:as Anet have chosen for their own purposes not to do much about it

Pure speculation on your side, you have no way to tell what they are doing and why. On the other hand, just above you someone posted that a GM actually checked on him to see if he was really afk or not, and the actual official statement we have about it is not "we don't care" but "you may get actioned for it".

What really is irrelevant here, is if threads about it "serve any useful purpose". This is a forum to discuss and have conversations, not to fix the game. So any discussion between people who care for this topic serves exactly the purpose that this forum exists for. Noone forces people who do not care or do not want to talk about this topic to participate in these threads.