Dueling in WvW

Turkeyspit.3965

Duel if you want and where you want, but expect to be attacked by anyone. I personally leave duelers alone, BUT, not everyone knows, or cares about the dueling unwritten rules.

The only time I don't ever want to see dueling anywhere is reset night. I've seen people complain heavily after having their duels interrupted on reset nights. Don't do it. You're taking the spot of someone that actually wants to do WvW, on maps that are always queued.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Strider Pj.2193 said:No 'approved spot' exists anywhere.

Actually, Anet Specifically made the arena in the obsidian sanctum for dueling, gvg, what have you. It was used for a time before they just went back to dueling outside objectives again.

In my opinion, duelers have been given far more consideration from the devs than most players, and they would rather be a problem to others. To me, if the name is red, its dead.

ha, i duel alot myself and ppl that intervene in duells are told to stop and if they dont, they most likely die :)its just something you dont do out of respect imoif you are that desperate for a bag or participation im feeling bad for youppl saying, oh but you can duell in obsi dont consider that most duels happen spontanious, you are roaming meet someone you fight, its a good fight, he or you doesnt finish you and lets you get back up and then you go for some more rounds, other ppl see that and ask for a chance to duell tooits not like you have some big group in some chat that just make out a time to meet and then start duelling

People like to duel around sm. But if you attack the person I'm dueling, and I tell you to stop, and you don't, and then you proceed to have your ass handed to you, don't get mad at me. I warned you. Dueling is how you get better, am I'm not surprised that nearly 95% of the time when my duels are interrupted by 1 person they die. And you best believe I BM my own server when they get their ass handed to them. Give em a nice siege burial and don't revive.

General rule of thumb is that if there are people idly watching nearby, or if they emoted a 'bow' to each other, then it's a duel. Duels can happen anywhere. You don't have to respect duels. It's not against the rules to be a jerk off.

The whole idea behind a duel is that it allows for the most fights in the shortest amount of time. Without the hassle of having to run back from a waypoint, multiple people can fight repeatedly quickly. The reason no one goes to duel in out of the way places is that most duels happen spontaneously. Two roamers who would otherwise be flipping camps and sentries, killing yaks, tapping keeps, and ganking backliners and stragglers will run into each other and spend a while fighting. If you interrupt those duels the roamers are just going to go back to flipping camps and sentries, killing yaks, tapping keeps and ganking backliners and stragglers to keep their participation up while they look for someone new to duel. If you don't like them doing those things don't interrupt the duels as they would almost always much rather be dueling.

+1ing a duel is a crappy thing to do because it wastes the time of everyone involved for essentially no reward. No one gets a challenging and rewarding fight, the war score contribution from killing a single player is negligible, the kill reward is bad, and the roamer will almost always end up going off and doing something more annoying. The only reason you could have for knowingly +1ing a duel is to ruin everyone else's time. That is why people who +1 duels are generally looked upon poorly.

That spot is used as a dueling area by the community. Though, there is no in-game rule (no matter what people may claim) that forces you to behave and allow others to have 'fair' duels or whatever there. You may decide to leave them alone now that you know. That is all.Don't see the point in getting mad about stuff like this. I duel people quite frequently and get interrupted once in a while like most people do. All you have to do is to stop attacking for a few seconds which usually leads to the interference getting taken care of quickly.

Other than some accepted dueling areas, telling people not to interfere with 1vs1 around objectives is a little silly. Why would anyone leave you alone if you threaten them like that? Not to mention that the real spice of solo roaming comes from entering enemy land and not knowing how many people will show up but that they will almost certainly outnumber you.

@"Henry.5713" said:Not to mention that the real spice of solo roaming comes from entering enemy land and not knowing how many people will show up but that they will almost certainly outnumber you.

Which is what WvW is. its a warzone, not a daycare center.

I dont respect duelers yelling "omg duel!" one bit.

Either I respect a fight - which can be 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, whatever - or I respect the player. The former is at my own discretion and suffer no automatic dueling immunity (a good fight is a good fight) and the latter is never earned by standing on an island waiting for a safe fight while the rest of us fight outmanned.

@Blocki.4931 said:These people are among the most vile I've seen in this game lol.

Hit one on accident and get spammed by 2 people for the next 5 minutes is my experience. I loathe them.

The more viles are the stupid gankers who attack you off objective 5vs1 and then bm you with siege and whisper to get good. And just because you killed one of them in a fair 1vs1, they called for guild mates for revenge. Those are the real cowards and garbage players in wvw.

If you wanna do the objective join a zerg and fight other zergs, or make an havoc and fight other havocs, don't chase 1 player 10vs1 for half the map like a damn eager kitten. Killing one player on a 2+ will make you just worse at the game and as soon you find yourself in a 1vs1 scenario you die like an ant because only got easy cheap kills.

People here acting like duelers complain, when more often than not, the one actually complaining is the +1'er who got stomped.There have been countless times where I have stopped my duel, type "it's a duel", and then get flamed by the guy who tried to +1 because I didn't help.If you're going to +1, at the very least, don't flame. Hopefully, you're good enough to get the stomp, not get stomped.

I don't get why the community berates dueling. Dueling is the best way to get better at roaming. If you don't know how to fight each class (and with experience you'll know what you can and can't fight), you won't be able to roam efficiently because you'll need to respawn every minute. There are less duels happening now than before, and it really shows through the quality of roamers in every server.

To the people saying "duel in PvP" or "duel in guild hall", that defeats the entire purpose. We're not dueling to learn mechanics, but to learn interactions that happen in the WvW environment. PvP has standardized builds with lower stats across the board, while PvE has different skill balances (hello Full Counter, retaliation, etc.). Dueling in either of those places is wholly different to WvW dueling.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Not to mention that the real spice of solo roaming comes from entering enemy land and not knowing how many people will show up but that they will almost certainly outnumber you.

Which is what WvW is. its a warzone, not a daycare center.

I dont respect
duelers
yelling "omg duel!" one bit.

Either I respect a fight - which can be 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, whatever - or I respect the player. The former is at my own discretion and suffer no automatic dueling immunity (a good fight is a good fight) and the latter is never earned by standing on an island waiting for a safe fight while the rest of us fight outmanned.

People might need to stop taking themselves so seriously with all of that 'dueling honor' and 'no bad manners' nonsense. It is a war zone in a video game and the closest thing to Open World PvP we have. Might be an age thing but it seems so a little silly to me to bow to and 'respect' every single person I meet as if I was in some real life dojo. Even more so due to the fact that there is no counting all of the hypocrites who stop caring about any supposed immunity of duels or small fights as soon as they stop winning.

More to the point dueling in WvW is spontaneous, you don't know the people you're dueling, so saying stuff like "you can go to PvP or obsi sanctum" is stupid.

This thread is sad as fuck. Some people can't understand that there are players in WvW who actually want good and fair fights and not just trampling roamers with your blob on the way to the next stop of the karma train. It's sad because I guarantee 90% of the people saying they don't respect dueling are bad at this game and would get stomped by the person they're attacking 1v1. I know this because 90% of the time when I see one person interrupt a duel he gets stomped, whether by me or the enemy player.

There are unwritten rules for roaming that you should have the decency to follow. The least you can do is not interrupt duels in well known dueling spots. Don't be that guy who does it then cries when you die and don't get any help.

@"Mr Green.4157" said:...That is why people who +1 duels are generally looked upon poorly......ganking backliners and stragglers...

Which is why some duellers are looked upon poorly and have their duel ended prematurely, you have some guy who 30 mins ago was 4v1 ganking guys in zergs builds going back to their zergs, who then expects to be left alone and have his gameplay "respected" when he is duelling outside SM, that level of hypocrisy borders on stupidity.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:I was solo roaming before work this morning, just trying to quickly bang out some WvW dailies, and right outside my main camp in the borderlands, I saw several enemy players in combat with players from my realm. As a Ranger, I need to attack from the longest distance possible to maximize results, so without hesitating, I started to unload on the first enemy player.

It was only after some quick combat I saw someone typed in /chat "it's a duel".

Now I've come to notice that there is a spot just south of SMC where people duel. Is there like a list of approved dueling spots or something so I don't inadvertently interrupt another 1vs1?

I think your answer has been given as to the location of duelling spots. Whether you choose to attack them or not is up to you, but thanks for at least asking.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@"Mr Green.4157" said:...That is why people who +1 duels are generally looked upon poorly......ganking backliners and stragglers...

Which is why some duellers are looked upon poorly and have their duel ended prematurely, you have some guy who 30 mins ago was 4v1 ganking guys in zergs builds going back to their zergs, who then expects to be left alone and have his gameplay "respected" when he is duelling outside SM, that level of hypocrisy borders on stupidity.

Those are the kind of people I'm happy to see siege corpsed and danced upon. Or my favourite of sitting on them with the Nuhoch tonic.

I let them be to be honest. When I first started WvW, I happened upon two dueling players and didn't properly understand the etiquette. They both gave me a lot of crap for jumping in and killing the guy.

But I tried not to be bitter, they didn't know I was new after all, and now I respect the unwritten rules, to make WvW a better place for everyone, even those who want to duel.

In my opinion - if you interrupt a duel that you KNOW is a duel, that's extremely rude and unsportsmanlike. The truth is, WvW is by far the best format for facilitating duels. Of course, being that it is WvW, duelers should expect that they may get run over by a zerg from time to time - it comes with the territory. If you interrupt a duel because you didn't realize it was a duel and someone sends you a message, just reply with "my apologies I didn't realize it was a duel" and move on. If they continue to harass you, then block/report the player.

As an Avid Dueler in WvW and whose always down to 1v1.

Alpine Borderlands - Behind/Next to the Windmill South of South Supply Camp.

Any where else is opening yourself to getting interrupted and you're only to blame if you die, get zerged, ganked, griefed, etc.

If youre dueling in EBG youre dumb and bound to get killed.

Plus its faster to get back from Alpine Borderlands if you actually get stomped by griefers

There aren't so many dueling ppl as there used to be.Sometimes it's not obvious that what you see is a duel,but interrupting on purpose is seriously rude.Usually after you start hitting,enemies in "duel-zone" will come after you and alliances won't help you,so keep that in mind.Also,ppl 1v1ing are mostly not everyday handless gankers wearing full zerk that only hit and run,so think twice before you start attacking to make sure you can kill him in time...What I'm trying to say is that sure,go and help your buddy with opponent,but if it's a duel and you overextend,expect getting corpse jumping and sieges throwing on your body if you fail.

@Blocki.4931 said:These people are among the most vile I've seen in this game lol.

Hit one on accident and get spammed by 2 people for the next 5 minutes is my experience. I loathe them.

This is a huge issue. Jump in on one and all of a sudden you get hate messages for long periods. Don't interfere, and get the whole why didn't you help for long periods. If they really want to duel they need to pick a spot far away where no one needs to go. Windmill on the Alpine. Center ruins on Desert. Way over past Mendons on EBG.

Avid WvWer and duelist checking in.

Many duels happen between strangers from different servers. It happens when one encounters another in a 1v1 scenario and it was a very close/good fight so one whispers the other something like "GF want to go behind the windmill and duel?" as a very common scenario. It doesn't really make sense to go to PvP because the balancing runes/stats are completely different. Even the guild hall has slightly different balancing and takes more time, not to mention you aren't earning any pips or rewards. Obsidian Sanctum involves going to a different map so for convenience purposes it's just easier to go behind the windmill and duel. These things just happen organically rather than it being planned "oh me and my friends are going to duel in wvw".

If you duel just north of the south camp it is at your own discretion that it gets interrupted. Many roamers, zergs, groups run through that area and that area is in the way of objectives like dolyaks, sentries, etc. It's pretty much not a good place to duel at all. Right beside SM as well is not a good place at all and as a duelist you should absolutely expect for your duel to get interrupted; and you shouldn't be mad about it.

I will usually respect a good 1v1, it's good to see zerglings actually go outside of their box once in awhile and actually learn their own class mechanics and acquire some skill which would be helpful to the server.

If somebody is fighting at the windmill I see no point in interrupting the duel aside from trying to grief or be a douche. This is because the dueler's intentionally picked a spot which is not interfering with anything and trying to be reasonable and civil by doing so. Yes everything is fair game in WvW but from a logical standpoint why would you go behind the windmill? There are literally no objectives there so you aren't getting any WXP or bags. So if you show up there ganking two people dueling you're just a terrible WvW player in general or a douche.

More than 90% of the time as well in my experience it isn't the duelers that are complaining, it is the +1ers that complain about "why you didn't help?", "why you laugh?", "its wvw duel somewhere else". It's WvW, I can play it how I want, don't like it who cares. I will usually say it is a duel and most players are sensible enough to back off. If they get stomped then they pretty much got the message. But if you interrupt it no big deal to me, 90% of these interrupters are getting killed off anyways so it is only a minor hiccup.

I laugh at some of these responses in the thread, it was clearly posted by players who mostly run in zergs and the above scenario happens to them and then they cry about it. Some people can't appreciate a good duel and are desperate enough for one bag lol. I don't get the aversiveness of having a few good duels and then getting on with roaming.

I'll personally never understand how anyone who wants to duel in WvW could be entitled to not having someone kill them should they choose to duel out in the open on commonly traversed paths. Formerly I was all about letting duelists have their space, but since the arena in the obsidian sanctum is a thing I don't see any reason to show mercy towards the players that choose to duel outside of it.

I'm sorry if I sound like a douche, truly I do since I don't want to come across as overly mean. But with how bursty thing's have become, and how random the spots for some duelers can be. I just honestly don't have the means to question is something is a duel before someone dies.

As someone who loves to 1v1, a lot of my duels happen adhoc. If someone interrupts, I'm fine with it since I don't expect people to know or care for it. If it gets interrupted and it was a fun duel before the interruption, I usually whisper the person so that we move elsewhere.

As for if someone else may be dueling, I usually ask or wait until it's over and see if they attempt to stomp. Other times, I'll help down the player and let my servermate decide to stomp or not.

Archived