Remove Power Gear From The Game

Tots.3056

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:in neverwinter pvp theres a troll comp of 2 healers+3 guardians(their "tanks" class), its almost impossible remove them from a point.

GW2 had an interesting "bunker meta" where you had amazing 15 minute matches with both teams having sub 100 scores. Matches being won of a single point being capped or a single kill being made, and so forth. Bunkers both standing on node, hitting for 1-2 mins then going afk and doing /sit next to eachother.

@Justine.6351 said:I do think the extremes on both ends of the glass vs bunker issue could be narrowed some.

For a while now, been wanting to see how it would turn out to halve the stat gains from all gear. Effectively balancing out the stats more, give us in general more TTK, and more time to react/play etc. Worried that this might make defenses a tad too powerful, and that the main damage gain would be multiplicative damage bonus traits more than stats.

@"Tots.3056" said:Hey all, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but when I run a power build I die instantly. Like, the game needs to be more tanky kind of like world of warcraft. I propose removing all power gear from the game so everyone has to play a condi tank class to draw out the fights longer. I think if everyone is on condi tank then the combat will be infinitely more exciting as you won't have your whole guild dying instantly to a burst or warrior killshot. Instead it will be a battle of epic condition clears where your team will die slowly and gloriously over the course of a 25 minute battle over a supply camp. Thoughts?

There are still teams out there that have long fights.

my small team do have drawn out battles sometimes. And it's fun.

@Virelion.4128 said:I love the fact that as long as condi is more common in the meta everyone shouts remove dire, nerf condi despite only few builds being overtuned. But when someone makes the same thing for power damage is not even considered seriously.

Time to kill is serious issue in this game.

Well the basic issue with power v condi is simply that condi doesn't require as much investment as power. So even if very few builds can actually take advantage of condi due to class design, the ones that can have both insane survivability and strong damage output AND the damage goes through armor AND it isn't effected by weakness. So yeah even though it may be true that at this particular point in time condi isn't the go to for every single build for every single class all it takes is one bad balance patch to make condi the clear winner for 99 percent of builds.

@Ubi.4136 said:Remove all stats, give everyone a stick and 50 health, sticks do 5 damage each hit.

I think the stick idea was too primitive, not enough dynamic gameplay. TBH though I think you are onto something, I think every player in wvw should not be allowed to have any gear(as this is far too hard to balance) same with traits, instead we should have perma superspeed, and our autos replaced with spectral grasp(no other skills) except it should have a 2-3 sec cd, and give 1 stack of stab for every enemy player you successfully hit.

This could even be used in addition to the stick! If so renaming spectral grasp to spectral stick is a must for there needs to be some continuity.

@Israel.7056 said:Well the basic issue with power v condi is simply that condi doesn't require as much investment as power. So even if very few builds can actually take advantage of condi due to class design, the ones that can have both insane survivability and strong damage output AND the damage goes through armor AND it isn't effected by weakness. So yeah even though it may be true that at this particular point in time condi isn't the go to for every single build for every single class all it takes is one bad balance patch to make condi the clear winner for 99 percent of builds.

As I agree with most of your points I do not think that bad reputation condi has is due to less required investment. As condi build you cannot go full glass, you will loose to burst build because condi is slower. Even after eating full condi burst you have time to clear some of them or burst back. If you eat power combo you are dead. This is why as condi player you need more defensive stats to balance that. It is more efficient from defensive side, but you have a price to pay for all adventages.

One balance patch can make almost all condi obsolete, look at the previous one. Only condi build left in spvp is mirage and some more stubborn scourges.

There is one think condi has that makes them quite annoying. Condis are difficult to debug. After getting hit by massive strike you are unable as player to learn from the fight as good as vs power build.

@Virelion.4128 said:As condi build you cannot go full glass, you will loose to burst build because condi is slower.

It's just not necessary to run full glass with condi to be extremely effective. The marginal damage increase that one gets from running say grieving or viper isn't worth the trade off in survivability when given the choice to run TB. Power builds aren't given this choice but If there were a PPTVF 5 stat combo that had roughly the same damage output as mara no one would run mara.

Even after eating full condi burst you have time to clear some of them or burst back.

In a 1v1 or small group fight maybe. In medium to large group play people aren't getting hit with one condi burst but several at the same time. So instead of having a few seconds to react and press buttons people take one tick and die without resi or healing just like with power.

If you eat power combo you are dead.

It is about the same for all damage in WvW at some point. If you eat a full coordinated bomb you're in trouble no matter what the damage type is but with power damage armor and prot gives you at least some measure of protection, whereas with condi they give you none. A good comp can be designed to absorb quite a lot of power damage output and just walk through it, not so much with condi. Surviving condi just comes down to resi uptime and coordinated aoe cleanses. The only reason condi doesn't completely dominate the meta is class balance, which is shorthand for saying they nerfed condi scourge pretty hard.

This is why as condi player you need more defensive stats to balance that. It is more efficient from defensive side, but you have a price to pay for all adventages.

I would argue that the marginal price to pay in instant damage effectively disappears in group play. I think condi is superior to power for any build that can output consistent condi damage in medium to large scale battles. The limitation for most builds isn't the stats right now it's the skill balance. There aren't actually that many available builds with consistent condi damage application. Scourge even has trouble with consistent pressure after the dhuumfire nerf.

One balance patch can make almost all condi obsolete, look at the previous one. Only condi build left in spvp is mirage and some more stubborn scourges.

In the case of PvP condi is held back there largely due to the restricted amulet choices.

There is one think condi has that makes them quite annoying. Condis are difficult to debug. After getting hit by massive strike you are unable as player to learn from the fight as good as vs power build.

I don't really see much of a difference when thinking about it generally. Perhaps there is a specific example you're working from in your mind?

Archived