Gold Exchange Rate is getting out of hand

Ashantara.8731

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ashantara.8731 said:

With the current rate, no one will want to invest real money anymore to buy gold if absolutely necessary. I know I won't.

The key fact being that buying gold is not absolutely necessary...ever.

It's a new expansion. The markets are going to be loopy for a few weeks, just as they were when HOT first came out. Take a chill pill, and don't worry about it.

@Kreed.2768 said:It's an exchange system. Supply and demand. Prices can go up. Prices can go down. It's how the system works. Just bide your time and exchange when you feel the price is right.

Thank you.

Everytime I see one of these posts that TC made, I lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

The gem-gold exchange rate is an exchange system with fixed rules. If supply increases/decreases for either side the exchange rate will be affected. A new expansion brings in a lot of players who are more willing to exchange gems for gold, thus the value you get per gem drops. Nothing is getting out of hand, it's simply the exchange shifting according to the new supply and demand.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Within just a week it increased from ~1,200 to 1,600 (and still rising) for 250g. Do you think it will eventually normalize again?

With the current rate, no one will want to invest real money anymore to buy gold if absolutely necessary. I know I won't.

I agree the prices of gems are going so high its not worth it anymore. why implement that option if u gonna pull this shit? either lower the prices or remove the option

@TriEdge.5149 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Within just a week it increased from ~1,200 to 1,600 (and still rising) for 250g. Do you think it will eventually normalize again?

I agree the prices of gems are going so high its not worth it anymore. why implement that option if u gonna pull this kitten? either lower the prices or remove the option

I don't think you understand how the gems<>gold exchange works... see Cyninja's post above yours, or have a read here:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Currency_exchange~TG

It is the inverse of when something good comes on the gem store, people are buying the new mount.

"Out of hand", you say? With an exchange rate like that, buying gems has never been cheaper, and might even go lower! This is a fantastic time to get lots of expensive gems for cheap. You can finally get the gemstore skins/stuff you've wanted, or you can hold onto them until the market swings back the other direction and turn your 250g into 400g or more.

@sorudo.9054 said:i always see it this way, an exchange should at all times be give what you gained.if the exchange rate was done right then 1 gem for 20g should also have 20g for 1 gem, having a huge difference in this exchange makes one side profitable and the other hugely cheated.

I can see them wanting to take a slice of the pie but they have gotten too greedy. If I buy gems with gold at a good rate then a few weeks later buy gold with gems at a good rate I should not lose gold in the process, just not make as much as I theoretically could without anet's cut.

@sorudo.9054 said:i always see it this way, an exchange should at all times be give what you gained.if the exchange rate was done right then 1 gem for 20g should also have 20g for 1 gem, having a huge difference in this exchange makes one side profitable and the other hugely cheated.

I can see them wanting to take a slice of the pie but they have gotten too greedy. If I buy gems with gold at a good rate then a few weeks later buy gold with gems at a good rate I should not lose gold in the process, just not make as much as I theoretically could without anet's cut.

The gem to gold exchange rate is rising because so many people are willing to invest real money even with the rate rising. I wouldn't worry about anything. In fact I would recommend being happy instead. I think the exchange rate shows that the game isn't awash in gold, that some players are willing to spend cash to support the game, and the studio made something people really want and offered it at a gold price many players are willing and able to pay.

The rate will rebound. The demand for the new mount will decrease; fewer people will be converting gems to gold and as important, players who would normally be converting gold to gems but are currently using that gold to buy the mount will resume converting gold to gems. I wouldn't expect it to rebound very quickly though. That mount is sucking gold from the game.

@Trise.2865 said:"Out of hand", you say? With an exchange rate like that, buying gems has never been cheaper, and might even go lower! This is a fantastic time to get lots of expensive gems for cheap.

Errrrr... (is trying to find logic in that response, but fails) What? How is it "cheaper" when you get less gold for the same amount of gems?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Trise.2865 said:"Out of hand", you say? With an exchange rate like that, buying gems has never been cheaper, and might even go lower! This is a fantastic time to get lots of expensive gems for cheap.

Errrrr... (
is trying to find logic in that response, but fails
) What? How is it "cheaper" when you get less gold for the same amount of gems?

@Trise.2865 is speaking about the other side of the exchange. If you're flush with gold (or even just comfortable), you may want to convert some of this wealth into gems for future BLTC items rather than buying the gems with actual cash later. The cash to gems exchange is constant (purchase price), but the gold to gems exchange is the inverse of gems to gold (naturally). It's not severe enough to encourage speculators to play a currency game due to Anet taxes. The exchange will settle down after the gold demand for new items (mounts and otherwise) dies down, and certainly if gem demand rises with new and exciting BLTC items.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Thank you.

Everytime I see one of these posts that TC made, I lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

Did you even read my post? I merely asked whether you think the exchange rate will go back down to a normal level (as I did not care much about the TP when the last expansion was released and therefore lack the experience of market fluctuations during new releases). Also, "out of hand" is my personal opinion in connection with my willingness to buy gems for real money at the moment.

On a different note, it didn't even hit me that the Griffon could be the reason for this sudden increase (i.e., that people would buy gems in order to be able to afford the mount). Thank you for your input, folks.

A lot of liquid gold got removed from the system on one-time investments like griffon and bags (ecto gambling removing gold + selling runes removes more gold via transaction fees). Couple this with lack of exciting new things in the gemstore and you see why the exchange rate is the way it is. Give it another month or two for gold stashes to replenish and new gemstore items (like mount skins) to start rolling out, and we'll see people complaining about exchange rate being unfair in the other direction.

Am I learning here that the gems-to-gold thing fluctuates instead of just being an Anet service transaction? If so, are we serious Anet? Gemstones aren't available in the game in any way as part of a raid or drop. You have to buy them, right? With real money? Anet decided that exchanging gems for gold ought to be a market fluctuation based on player transactions? Seriously?

Archived