Gold Exchange Rate is getting out of hand

Ashantara.8731

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Mea.5491 said:Why would someone buy 250 Gold for real money when it can be farmed in 2-3 days? I'm glad Gem prices are cheap because I buy them with Gold, I hope it stays this way (but I know it won't).

Why would I waste 2-3 days farming gold when I can pay for that with 30 mins overtime at my job?

Not everyone lives in a rich country. ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:Why would someone buy 250 Gold for real money when it can be farmed in 2-3 days? I'm glad Gem prices are cheap because I buy them with Gold, I hope it stays this way (but I know it won't).

Why would I waste 2-3 days farming gold when I can pay for that with 30 mins overtime at my job?

And not everyone lives in a poor one. Gold2Gems is cheap because someone else bought these gems for you.

@Mea.5491 said:

Now you can see both sides of the coin.

@Mil.3562 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Within just a week it increased from ~1,200 to 1,600 (and still rising) for 250g. Do you think it will eventually normalize again?

With the current rate, no one will want to invest real money anymore to buy gold if absolutely necessary. I know I won't.

You pay real life money for gold?PffttgghhLol.

LOL

What is so funny about paying real money for in-game gold?For me, earning money IRL is easier and faster than spending hours in this game to farm for gold. In short, we can afford it. For you, it has to be the opposite.

I never get why people mock others for spending RL money for gaming stuff, it's all just time invested. For me it is far cheaper on my time to just go buy some gold. Although I do actually enjoy farming at times.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Lots of people are buying gold at that rate, which is precisely why the rate has dropped [...]

Apparently, people missed my important response in which I declared that I had misunderstood the concept: I did not know that the gems-to-gold and gold-to-gems exchange rates do not increase/decrease parallelly but conversely. I did not know this because, except for maybe a handful of occasions, I never converted gold to gems (and during those few occasions I did not pay attention to the gold-to-gems conversion rate, because the course had been relatively stable for a long while).

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Within just a week it increased from ~1,200 to 1,600 (and still rising) for 250g. Do you think it will eventually normalize again?

With the current rate, no one will want to invest real money anymore to buy gold if absolutely necessary. I know I won't.

LOL

What is so funny about paying real money for in-game gold?For me, earning money IRL is easier and faster than spending hours in this game to farm for gold. In short, we can afford it. For you, it has to be the opposite.

I never get why people mock others for spending RL money for gaming stuff, it's all just time invested. For me it is far cheaper on my time to just go buy some gold. Although I do actually
enjoy
farming at times.

I used to think paying money for gold was not worthwhile too. But once I considered it, an hour of my RL job will earn me the equivalent of days or even weeks of farming... and I could use that in-game time to do things I actually enjoy.

It really depends on one's circumstance if time or money is the more valuable resource.

Another factor to consider in the time vs. money decision is what else you could do with it.

This is why I almost never buy gold with real money. Yes I earn money faster (although at a fixed rate - paid overtime is not an option in my job) but there's also far more things I can do with real money and many of those come higher in my list of priorities than GW2 items, even ones I really want. I don't just mean boring things like food or rent either - if I have a choice between buying a new album, going to a concert or a movie or buying a weapon skin I'm highly unlikely to choose the weapon skin.

Whereas time spent earning gold is time I've already chosen to spend playing GW2 - I'd be playing regardless of whether I get gold or not, so the gold I do get is essentially free. (Note: I almost never farm for gold, or anything else really, I just play and get whatever gold/items come my way while I'm doing it.) And if I wasn't playing GW2 I'd be playing another game.

So for me in the vast majority of cases it works out far better to save up my gold and buy things I want than to spend real money on them. But for other people it may well be different.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Lots of people are buying gold at that rate, which is precisely why the rate has dropped [...]

Apparently, people missed my important response in which I declared that I had misunderstood the concept: I did not know that the gems-to-gold and gold-to-gems exchange rates do not increase/decrease parallelly but conversely. I did not know this because, except for maybe a handful of occasions, I never converted gold to gems (and during those few occasions I did not pay attention to the gold-to-gems conversion rate, because the course had been relatively stable for a long while).

If you look at the time stamp, you'll see that you're responding to my post made before you "declared" that you had "misunderstood the concept". And my response was to your comment, "who wants to buy gold anymore at that rate?" which makes clear the misunderstanding: the low gem:gold (or gold:gem) rate is precisely because more people are selling gems to buy gold, i.e. more people are wanting to sell at any rate they can get.

Again, as I said above, I'm glad it's clear to you now and I haven't made any other response to you in this thread since. (I do agree that some other people have since replied as if your thinking hasn't evolved, so perhaps you might want to update the original post — and perhaps the thread title — to clarify that you get it now.)

@onevstheworld.2419 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

I never get why people mock others for spending RL money for gaming stuff, it's all just time invested. For me it is far cheaper on my time to just go buy some gold. Although I do actually
enjoy
farming at times.

I used to think paying money for gold was not worthwhile too. But once I considered it, an hour of my RL job will earn me the equivalent of days or even weeks of farming... and I could use that in-game time to do things I actually enjoy.

It really depends on one's circumstance if time or money is the more valuable resource.

One hour of my time is 80$ CAD. How much is that in gems? I STILL would never buy gems. And I play 8 hours a week tops. So i have more money than time.

Heres the thing. I dont see how playing a videogame for my comfort and lesiure is a chore.

You say you can use the time ingame for things you enjoy (instead of earning gold/rewards in game)???!!!

Lol wat? Isnt playing the game enjoyable?

I legit dont understand. Help me.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

enjoy
farming at times.

I didnt buy a fantasy videogame to experience the rat race but only in "Tyria".

Gold, even precursors are disposable to me. I dont see how people legit pay to get ahead in virtual keeping up with the joness

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

See above. Lots money. Zero time.

Again. I play this game for fun. Not to earn gold.

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

Correct. There’s nothing funny about it. The price of gems to gold would skyrocket if no one bought gold with real money. You may not have the understanding or appreciation of some individuals but as someone who buys gems with gold I appreciate the people on the opposite side of the gold<->gems transaction who keep gems cheap by selling them for gold.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

enjoy
farming at times.

Gold, even precursors are disposable to me. I dont see how people legit pay to get ahead in virtual keeping up with the joness

It's not "getting ahead" or "keeping up with the joness" it's sensible use of time to get what you want. If you enjoy grinding gold then you go girl.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

enjoy
farming at times.

It's not "getting ahead" or "keeping up with the joness" it's sensible use of time to get what you want. If you enjoy grinding gold then you go girl.

I dont grind. I enjoy picking blueberries and fighting the Queensdale Boar. It just so happens doing what I enjoy got me a shit ton of precursors.

Wait. Is doing Mad King lab considered grind? Its hella fun. And i dont do that for gold either. I do it for my love of opening ToTs.

And my love of Adelbern. I can hear him spurring me on. "Yes Omar! Thats it, kill more Halloweenies! Youre like the son I never had. You would never have stabbed me in the back over some stupid door. I love you"

I love him too.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@onevstheworld.2419 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

LOL

enjoy
farming at times.

One hour of my time is 80$ CAD. How much is that in gems? I STILL would never buy gems. And I play 8 hours a week tops. So i have more money than time.

Heres the thing. I dont see how playing a videogame for my comfort and lesiure is a chore.

You say you can use the time ingame for things you enjoy (instead of earning gold/rewards in game)???!!!

Lol wat? Isnt playing the game enjoyable?

I legit dont understand. Help me.

Like I said, it depends on your circumstance. Even though you say you've got more money than time, you clearly value that money more. I have about 8-10 hours a week, but this is often interrupted by work, baby, etc.

What I do? Story, achievements, exploration, events with guild, fractals (raids if I can guarantee regular uninterrupted play sessions, which currently is difficult). What I don't do? SW farm, fractal 40 farm, wood/ore runs. That's pretty leisurely, isn't it?

For the record, I've never converted gems to gold, not even for the legendaries I've made. What I have done is stop farming gold to convert to gems for my tools, slots and other QoL things... now I just pay RL money for my gems and play to enjoy. I'm talking disposable income here, I don't condone putting oneself into financial hardship on account of a game. I've done the maths... an unlimited tool takes me minutes to earn in RL, or 12+ hours of farming. Easy choice, no?

Presumably you don't want gold for the sake of having gold, but as an intermediary for the stuff gold buys. In that case, I have good news, dollar prices have not changed too much pre and post expansion! Stuff exclusive to non-PoF content is up - like gen 1 legendaries - while stuff dropping from PoF - like crafted exotic or ascended armor - is down!

Lots of new people because of xpac. New people have no reasonable way of aquire large amounts of gold quickly, because that doesn't exist in this game (it's gradual process). New people are enticed buy gemstore and TP things, and some could argue have gun held to head to buy the griffon. Outcomes the credit cards, Anet wins cash, hardcore players win cheap gems.

It should stabilize over time but the griffon in particular was a low blow by Anet and I think is going to keep the exchange rate out of wack for a few weeks to come and may even have a permanent impact because we have never before seen a major gameplay feature held hostage by Anet for a large sum of gold.

Archived