WvW commanders/guilds kicking non-meta classes.

Princ.3598

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"hobotnicax.7918" said:I see people still don't know how to play soulbeast properly in WvW.Soulbeast is fantastic in a zerg, top 3 class for melee damage in a zerg.I saw someone say in this thread that with a dps meter you'd be bottom? What, the, f? What are you people playing?Melee soulbeast outputs upper mid table damage while still being tanky af and also offering some support, cc, reflects.When I played pure glass backline ranger GS/LB I've been top dps in blob fights so many times I stopped counting.Positioning is key.

Honestly all this ranger hate in WvW is because terrible players come to the game mode and play badly. Yet I've seen more bad rallybot necros, revs and eles in WvW than rangers. But somehow they go unnoticed cause they play meta builds... or are they? How would you know? You assume they're using it, you assume they know how to play their role in a zerg.

Core ranger, I agree, no place in a zerg unfortunately. Druid can be useful with hard cc and heal. Soulbeast is imo top 4 classes for WvW zerg. Again, if built and played right.

Don't believe me? Come to Vabbi, get on my tag and join the revolution.

Strangely enough, Vabbi build site had an "omegalul" on ranger section on builds. Now it explains why you shouldnt play ranger. If you were top dps as ranger, your weavers, necros and heralds sucked horribly, sorry. There is nothing a ranger can do in zergs that another class cant do better. Also do not compare bad players with proper build classes against great players with no blobclasses. When speaking of players at the same skill level, ranger will be always outdpssed, outhealed, outcced. The fact that YOU know how to play a ranger well, speaks for a tiny minority of the class. A mediocre scourge is still more useful than a good ranger.And ranger being top 4 blobclass,i am not buying it. Firebrand, scourge, herald, weaver, fl dd, spellbreaker, healengi, healtemp do stuff better than a ranger. That is objective.

And yet a decent ranger could pinsnipe the tag and make the enemy zerg crumble..99% of rangers are bad at blobbing but there are a few good ones out there that know what to bring and what to do at keytimes such as barrage on the push or knockback shot on the enemy commander or even just tanking up with stone on the push and dropping a maul to WI to instantly down everyone around you for a bag cleann up.

Run 50 ranger squad, pinsnipe everyone, win. How have people not thought of this? Engies can pull comms too, maybe throw some of them in the mix? (a certain eu guild comes to mind)Lemme apply that logic of yours : a good scourge will boonrip and bomb 10 people into oblivion, a good FB will heal reflect and keep his party alive, a good weaver will do huge dps, a good herald wi pressure scourges so his squad will have an easy time to push the enemy, and so on. "barrage on push". This is a joke. Barrage is good only for bombing enemy siege on walls.Also, keep in mind that pinsniping comms is frowned upon, as it shows that you know your squad is bad and cant win otherwise. I know people like ranger class, but in its current state it really offers less than other classes. It excels at roaming.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"hobotnicax.7918" said:I see people still don't know how to play soulbeast properly in WvW.Soulbeast is fantastic in a zerg, top 3 class for melee damage in a zerg.I saw someone say in this thread that with a dps meter you'd be bottom? What, the, f? What are you people playing?Melee soulbeast outputs upper mid table damage while still being tanky af and also offering some support, cc, reflects.When I played pure glass backline ranger GS/LB I've been top dps in blob fights so many times I stopped counting.Positioning is key.

Honestly all this ranger hate in WvW is because terrible players come to the game mode and play badly. Yet I've seen more bad rallybot necros, revs and eles in WvW than rangers. But somehow they go unnoticed cause they play meta builds... or are they? How would you know? You assume they're using it, you assume they know how to play their role in a zerg.

Core ranger, I agree, no place in a zerg unfortunately. Druid can be useful with hard cc and heal. Soulbeast is imo top 4 classes for WvW zerg. Again, if built and played right.

Strangely enough, Vabbi build site had an "omegalul" on ranger section on builds. Now it explains why you shouldnt play ranger. If you were top dps as ranger, your weavers, necros and heralds sucked horribly, sorry. There is nothing a ranger can do in zergs that another class cant do better. Also do not compare bad players with proper build classes against great players with no blobclasses. When speaking of players at the same skill level, ranger will be always outdpssed, outhealed, outcced. The fact that YOU know how to play a ranger well, speaks for a tiny minority of the class. A mediocre scourge is still more useful than a good ranger.And ranger being top 4 blobclass,i am not buying it. Firebrand, scourge, herald, weaver, fl dd, spellbreaker, healengi, healtemp do stuff better than a ranger. That is objective.

And yet a decent ranger could pinsnipe the tag and make the enemy zerg crumble..99% of rangers are bad at blobbing but there are a few good ones out there that know what to bring and what to do at keytimes such as barrage on the push or knockback shot on the enemy commander or even just tanking up with stone on the push and dropping a maul to WI to instantly down everyone around you for a bag cleann up.Though here is still the point:
you dont need to be in squad and on commander to do that

It is easier to run herald or even dragonhunter in WvW than ranger (which needs marksmanship to hit multiple targets with bow) due to projectile hate.CoR isn't a projectile, Phase smash isn't a projectile, drop the hammer isn't a projectile , they also hit 5 targets. If you're using barrage you're better off with Hunter's ward on DH , True Shot does damage in one hit instead of eating a bunch of retal. If you've ever been caught in Hunter's ward you'll know why.

If you mean greatsword ranger, then you're better off with spellbreaker , herald with staff, daredevil with staff, or melee firebrand with axe+shield with more DPS-oriented stats.

The only real non-spirit support you can run is stanceshare which isn't amazing (since you apply relatively short duration in 360 radius). I've seen people that have played ranger all the time in PvE / PvP transition to scourge, reaper, or herald for WvW. Maybe if Moa stance and dolyak stance stood up to Rite of the Great Dwarf and such, but in its current state it isn't that amazing when you factor in weapon skills.

Sorry but this is simply pure negligence on your behalf since you've stated "played WvW before" especially considering the time it takes to acquire GoB so you would've gotten a taste for what meta classes were required/accepted for organised squad zerging yet you still decided to, upon the introduction of a new feature in WvW (Warclaw) whereby there would be evident queues - hopped on a non-zerg class and expected to be wanted in that squad as a soulbeast.

You also stated that you are "plat" in PvP so it only makes sense that there are high chances you would be using metabattle or some other outlier source for a meta build required to be efficient in such a game mode. Metabattle being a common outlier source for builds, includes a WvW section.

Always do your research, no matter the game, patch or content update.

Yes it is common to kick non-meta classes from squads.

Don't think to yourself Soulbeast doesn't have a place in WvW, it does. They're excellent roamers/gankers, great in small-scale and can be used to pin-snipe commanders/targets. Back in the day squads never existed, players were either in a 5 man party or left alone. You can do just fine outside of squad, but requires more situational awareness + positioning.

I recommend to bring a meta zerging class next time if you wish to secure a place in squad (organised or not) that is obviously going to encounter enemy zergs as there is a meta for a reason - some classes do the job better than others.

Hope that helps answer your question.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

And yet a decent ranger could pinsnipe the tag and make the enemy zerg crumble..99% of rangers are bad at blobbing but there are a few good ones out there that know what to bring and what to do at keytimes such as barrage on the push or knockback shot on the enemy commander or even just tanking up with stone on the push and dropping a maul to WI to instantly down everyone around you for a bag cleann up.

Run 50 ranger squad, pinsnipe everyone, win. How have people not thought of this? Engies can pull comms too, maybe throw some of them in the mix? (a certain eu guild comes to mind)Lemme apply that logic of yours : a good scourge will boonrip and bomb 10 people into oblivion, a good FB will heal reflect and keep his party alive, a good weaver will do huge dps, a good herald wi pressure scourges so his squad will have an easy time to push the enemy, and so on. "barrage on push". This is a joke. Barrage is good only for bombing enemy siege on walls.Also, keep in mind that pinsniping comms is frowned upon, as it shows that you know your squad is bad and cant win otherwise. I know people like ranger class, but in its current state it really offers less than other classes. It excels at roaming.

It doesn't matter to me if valid and effective tactics are frowned upon, its a war zone after all.In fact many used to tell me that baiting enemy zergs onto mendon bridge or pang tunnels then fast building ballistas for spreadshot was cheap and frowned upon, but I'll use what ever advantage I can take.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

And yet a decent ranger could pinsnipe the tag and make the enemy zerg crumble..99% of rangers are bad at blobbing but there are a few good ones out there that know what to bring and what to do at keytimes such as barrage on the push or knockback shot on the enemy commander or even just tanking up with stone on the push and dropping a maul to WI to instantly down everyone around you for a bag cleann up.Though here is still the point:

nerp, you do not. Just follow comm regardless of his preferences.A good person will make do and a better comm will make it work.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

It doesn't matter to me if valid and effective tactics are frowned upon, its a war zone after all.In fact many used to tell me that baiting enemy zergs onto mendon bridge or pang tunnels then fast building ballistas for spreadshot was cheap and frowned upon, but I'll use what ever advantage I can take.

nerp, you do not. Just follow comm regardless of his preferences.A good person will make do and a better comm will make it work.

Still, doesnt really explain WHY the ranger should be in squad. And take boons while giving nothing in return.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Still, doesnt really explain WHY the ranger should be in squad. And take boons while giving nothing in return.

I would laugh my butt off if someone actually said "our squad wiped because that ranger stole our boons"... And believed it.

"oh man a 50 man zerg just wiped 25 of us, we would have won too if that ranger didnt steal our boons".... like, cmon.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

I would laugh my butt off if someone actually said "our squad wiped because that ranger stole our boons"... And believed it.

"oh man a 50 man zerg just wiped 25 of us, we would have won too if that ranger didnt steal our boons".... like, cmon.

There are much better classes than ranger in a zerg. Ranger offers pretty much nothing of value in a zerg, unlike other classes. You may try to dodge the "what does the ranger bring to the zerg to justify a spot in it?" question again and again, like you do. It wont make the ranger useful.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

There are much better classes than ranger in a zerg. Ranger offers pretty much nothing of value in a zerg, unlike other classes. You may try to dodge the "what does the ranger bring to the zerg to justify a spot in it?" question again and again, like you do. It wont make the ranger useful.

Its useful to those who know how to play it. If people are ungrateful for it, then so be it.

Im not the sort of person that dictates what others should be doing based off my own personal opinions, which is essentially what people are arguing over now."play my way or dont plat at all" isn't a philosophy I follow.

A ranger is very helpful to me, I place more value onto those players who are skilled enough to pull it off and encourage those who cant to keep trying.

I woudn't worry about it too much. Unless you're built incompetently, you'll still meaningfully contribute to WvW. Having bodies is still really important, and there's a not of niche skills that aren't on the Meta but are still useful.. Besides, it's not like they can kick you off the server, so just run along anyway and ignore all the people who complain. All of the people who complain are just ungrateful.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Its useful to those who know how to play it. If people are ungrateful for it, then so be it.

Im not the sort of person that dictates what others should be doing based off my own personal opinions, which is essentially what people are arguing over now."play my way or dont plat at all" isn't a philosophy I follow.

A ranger is very helpful to me, I place more value onto those players who are skilled enough to pull it off and encourage those who cant to keep trying.

Vague answer, as expected. Good day!

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Not this topic again....Let me guess. Ranger?

soulbeast

I know my WvW QQ.

But back to topic.

You can play currently without any questions asked in zergs:

FirebrandBoth Rev Elite SpecsSpellbreakerScourgeBoth Ele elite specsChronoDaredevilScrapper

I think there are enough choices here.

And yes we get it, Ranger is not part of this list.

Reason?Not a single viable weapon for zerging.

I was kicked as a Daredevil before, the Commander just said "Kicking Rangers and Thiefs".

@wesron.7351 said:

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Not this topic again....Let me guess. Ranger?

soulbeast

I know my WvW QQ.

But back to topic.

You can play currently without any questions asked in zergs:

FirebrandBoth Rev Elite SpecsSpellbreakerScourgeBoth Ele elite specsChronoDaredevilScrapper

I think there are enough choices here.

And yes we get it, Ranger is not part of this list.

Reason?Not a single viable weapon for zerging.

I was kicked as a Daredevil before, the Commander just said "Kicking Rangers and Thiefs".Many coms dont care what elite. Daredevil staff stomper is not meta no matter how much daredevils wish it.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:SOP= Standard Operating Procedures. If you're not running a META class or build, you are useless. Regardless if the squad is full or not.

Problem is the meta way to play the game or GTFO, this behaviour happens due awfull class design, because one thing is a meta existing for being sightly better or counters some behaviours/tactics, but
what happens its because meta is the only thing that works AKA stack aoe and spam faster than targets.

Its a design and balance issue... its a dev quality problem, the reason why this behavior exists.

And that's why I don't play META, I do my own thing and don't join squads either. Sometimes I like to follow them to watch them wipe tho, lol.

It's funny people say WvW has alot of builds, where every one tends to converge to the same builds and classes :}

/irony.

Yup, yet any time anyone brings up the idea of a PvP like Amulet system, these same people that scream about sticking to the meta also scream about their build diversity.

@Princ.3598 said:(Posted this on reddit but will here aswell to maybe hear more opinions)

Hi,

First off I would like to say I'm a fairly new player to WvW, but not the game or PvP (plat there). I have played WvW before but just to get my legendary weapon. Since the mount came out I tried WvW again and found that It's enjoyable if done correctly, especially with coordinated teams in discord.

​

The thing is..I'm a soulbeast. And the commanders don't want me in their teams. In our server, there is one prevalent guild that runs WvW and tags and I got told to basically switch to meta wvw classes or else I'm just not welcome in the raid. So after waiting in a 50-100man queue, all I can do is try to follow the commander as some outcasted class that shouldnt be there in the first place.

​

It definitely shifted my perspective on WvW a bit. While I understand where they are coming from since the goal is to..win. Just doesnt feel good.

EDIT: I would just like to add that I'm talking about the scenario of a squad not being full. So 35/50, otherwise I would gladly leave a spot for a meta class honestly.

Is this a common occurence on your servers aswell?

Thoughts?

Go and run random builds in ranked PvP in plat teir and see the reaction from your team mates.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

It's not everyday someone expects an answer to a question they never asked but ok, I like the material so I'm going to use it one day for kicks so thank you and good day to you too sir!

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:SOP= Standard Operating Procedures. If you're not running a META class or build, you are useless. Regardless if the squad is full or not.

Problem is the meta way to play the game or GTFO, this behaviour happens due awfull class design, because one thing is a meta existing for being sightly better or counters some behaviours/tactics, but
what happens its because meta is the only thing that works AKA stack aoe and spam faster than targets.

Its a design and balance issue... its a dev quality problem, the reason why this behavior exists.

And that's why I don't play META, I do my own thing and don't join squads either. Sometimes I like to follow them to watch them wipe tho, lol.

It's funny people say WvW has alot of builds, where every one tends to converge to the same builds and classes :}

/irony.

Yup, yet any time anyone brings up the idea of a PvP like Amulet system, these same people that scream about sticking to the meta also scream about their build diversity.

Class imbalance has nothing to do with amulet system. Some classes are better suited for groups, others for solo/small parties.Ranger still will be useless in blobs. That agenda is getting boring.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

It's not everyday someone expects an answer to a question they never asked but ok, good day to you too sir!

You have dodged the question 'what does the ranger bring to justify it being in a zerg? "many times. Now, if youre trying to" troll", try harder.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

It's not everyday someone expects an answer to a question they never asked but ok, good day to you too sir!

You have dodged the question 'what does the ranger bring to justify it being in a zerg? "many times. Now, if youre trying to" troll", try harder.

Oh I went over that already inadvertently but it doesn't appear to be the answer you want to hear.

Seeing as youre so inquisitive and fixated on as to why someone might play Ranger, the short answer is because it's fun.

Every player has a right to be on the field regardless of class choice.

No trolling here, Ive responded politely to all of your posts.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Oh I went over that already inadvertently but it doesn't appear to be the answer you want to hear.

Seeing as youre so inquisitive and fixated on as to why someone might play Ranger, the short answer is because it's fun.

Every player has a right to be on the field regardless of class choice.

No trolling here, Ive responded politely to all of your posts.

Its fun to those who like it, sure. Not efficient. And every player has the right to be on the field, sure. But this thread was about a ranger getting kicked out of a squad, not out of the map. As ranger in its current state is far from good, people have every right to not want em in squads.Maybe my replies arent to your liking, I understand. But please stay on the topic at hand, instead of trying to detail it into something else.Have fun! See you on the battlefield if youre eu

Squad and subgroups are supposed to maximize efficiency for boon shares and heals. Rangers can function on their own why would you wanna take it away from scourges/herald/fb or any zerg class who need them when you give nothing to the team in return? Nothing stops you from running along the zerg and do your own thing. This has been discussed too many times and you should understand it's noting personal.

@Duckota.4769 said:Ive noticed mostly zerg players are against no downstate (or so it seems to me) but I think that if there were no downstate this would go away. No downstate = no rallies. If you're playing a class or build that is not up to part for large scale WvW then you are not only just a liability to your team but you're technically helping the enemy team. Lets say 5-10 people tag you. Then you die because of your build and not your skill. Well then you just rallied 5-10 people. Obviously there are cases where you can play off meta exceptionally well and your team can truly benefit from you but they are looking to be competitive. It is a competitive game mode after all.

Edit: I get why some people dont like no downstate. Must be annoying being a glass weaver and dying to AC and having to run all the way back, but I do think no downstate would help eliminate some of the concerns over rallying.

Couple things here, firstly only 1 enemy player can rally of you going down; it's different than PvE. Secondly, the issue you bring up with downed state is separate to the issue of rally. I imagine ANET could disable the ability to rally off other players, similar to how they changed it in WvW so you could only rally 1 person, and leave downed state in the game. Should they do it, or would they do it is a separate question.

If for argument's sake they removed rally from the equation, it would reduce the liability of having players running weaker builds in the squad - it wouldn't be as big of an issue - but it would remain an issue from the perspective of a commander trying to build the best comp, and who would obviously prefer to take a Herald or Necro in the place of a Ranger. But with regards to the OPs post, when the squad was 35/50, I would surmise that commanders would be more willing to accept them until a time came when the squad was full and he had players with meta builds waiting to join.

@sephiroth.4217 said:And yet a decent ranger could pinsnipe the tag and make the enemy zerg crumble..99% of rangers are bad at blobbing but there are a few good ones out there that know what to bring and what to do at keytimes such as barrage on the push or knockback shot on the enemy commander or even just tanking up with stone on the push and dropping a maul to WI to instantly down everyone around you for a bag cleann up.

Most certainly, but in a vacuum it's useless. Unless the commander is already dealing with a push/counter push, pin sniping him down will just mean the group of people on tag will press F and have them up and running again in a second. Pin sniping is also frowned upon, so I doubt most commanders would want to encourage that behaviour (makes sense I guess, since they would be the target lol)

@Dawdler.8521 said:Many coms dont care what elite. Daredevil staff stomper is not meta no matter how much daredevils wish it.

True but that doesn't mean they can't work, and for that it's good to either join a guild or get to know the commanders running open squads on the server. Once they know you're a solid player they are likely to be more open about the profession you choose.

And just like Fractals and Raiding, the option always remains to just form your own squad and set your own rules - it isn't as if getting a commander tag requires skill or knowledge, just 300g. Please observe common courtesy and etiquette though, especially if another commander is on the same map.

Should also point out that I have been summarily booted from a squad by a commander I didn't know while I was running a meta build. No reason was given and I didn't ask. Maybe they wanted to run closed (guild only) but mistakenly left the tag on open? Maybe they had enough Revs? Maybe the commander really hates Charr? Point is, the leader of the group kicked me for their own reason, and it isn't as if I'm going to change their mind with a /w or a forum post, so I just moved on to another map and comm.