Welcome Back to Guild Wars 2!

• ArenaNet Staff

When you take a break from a game, one of the things that makes it difficult to start back up again is the feeling that you've missed too much to ever catch up. We want to offer to help former Guild Wars 2 players who might feel that way, so starting next Monday we're going spend five weeks getting those members of our community re-acquainted with Tyria. We'll show how to get your first mount and play through Living World Season 4, pointing out helpful features and updates along the way. Members of our partner program will be joining too, leading players through various open world events.

If you want to join in but can't remember your password, we can help you with that! Go to https://help.guildwars2.com and click "Trouble Logging In?", and our CS team can help.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely more helpful than when I tell people "I told you you'd be back, they always come back" and then show them The Sign.TYQVLRK.jpg

While GW2 is extremely friendly towards returning players thanks to the fixed level cap, with all the content that has been added some people don't know where to start.There's some guide for returning players in some community sites and reddit, but how do we get them to read the stuff?

Maybe there could be an in-game message or panel when an account hasn't logged in for a long time, linking to the content for returning players in the official site.

@"theSacred.1942" said:I think you forgot to add new content to the game so people would have a reason to get back...

SAB will bring some people back, but overall, this is odd to do without a promotion. Maybe it's just around that time when people naturally come back, considering WoW is also doing a "welcome back" thing this weekend with a free trial of their latest expansion. It would make a lot more sense if GW2 was also doing a trial for PoF and/or brought back the free unlock period for each week they do one the episodes.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Kitta.3657 said:So hum, this is vague... You mean you'll be streaming and this will be the theme of your streams as a project with the partners?

There will be livestreams, guides, and some more surprises that I won't spoil now, but there will be a full outline and schedule on our site Monday morning. Today's post is just a heads-up on various channels to get the word out a little bit in advance, so those who are interested but don't remember their login info can work with our CS team to get that taken care of. It's so frustrating when you want to participate in something that has already started and can't remember your password, so we thought a head start for those people would be less stressful.

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:We'll show how to get your first mount and play through Living World Season 4, pointing out helpful features and updates along the way. Members of our partner program will be joining too, leading players through various open world events.

If you want to join in but can't remember your password, we can help you with that! Go to https://help.guildwars2.com and click "Trouble Logging In?", and our CS team can help.

So.. Are you giving everyone a raptor without PoF? Lifting the requirement to have PoF in order to do "Bug in the System" and get the beetle, (which isnt really the first mount)? Are you giving away PoF to everyone who logs in, so they can all do LWS4? I feel my money spent on GW2: Path of Fire decreasing in value.

Well, isn't this really nice and had me wondering if there was a wave that came in around when me and family started playing. Any chance of a Fire Emblem shirt since your'e doing this?

I've been enjoying the game, not really hard to get back into just need a way to get a swing of things.

I want to see you try to play T4 Siren's Reef and show how it's intended to be done. :p

Partly kidding, but that's one of the fractals my group consistently nope.jpgs out of these days, mostly because it seems the primary "difficulty" in the fractal and the final section especially is just "toss billions of adds at them that also for some reason are immune to CC without a break bar".

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:There will be livestreams, guides, and some more surprises that I won't spoil now, but there will be a full outline and schedule on our site Monday morning. Today's post is just a heads-up on various channels to get the word out a little bit in advance, so those who are interested but don't remember their login info can work with our CS team to get that taken care of. It's so frustrating when you want to participate in something that has already started and can't remember your password, so we thought a head start for those people would be less stressful.

Oh... now colour me all "N Trege"d like... What could this big reveal be? Candy falling from the heavens? bug fixes through our core? A pony? I can hardly wait! :D

I think a tutorial type of event/instance that one could revisit at any point would be great for new players and returning players alike. Imagine how players from 2012 would feel returning to find defiance bars. They don't know what they are. This is a huge issue in large-scale meta events which require the defiance bar to be broken. Seemingly half of the players don't know about the mechanic. Some who do know about it don't think that it's worth doing because they're unaware of the damage boost you get from doing it (they seem to think that it only stuns the enemy). Of course this is only one mechanic that new or returning players need to learn about, but it is arguable one of the more obscure ones.

I like this initiative. I'm often in new zones on my character New Player Helper, answering questions or guiding new and returning characters through stuff. There's enough diffrent about Guild Wars 2 to make it hard for people coming from other MMOs and enough has changed about the game to make it hard on returning players. Always happy to help if people whisper me with questions. I'm glad Anet is doing something to help bridge the gap.

Archived