More free to apply skins?

Personally I've never come close to running low on transmutation charges (never brought any), I think the game gives plenty. Even if you did want to buy some then gold to gems means its effectively free anyway, just requires a bit of gameplay to get some gold. I can't see the benefit or point from Anets point of view to make some changes use 0 charges.

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:The votes are skewed because people are not understanding the poll.

This isn't about getting free gear/skins. This is about not having to use transmutation charges to apply them to your current gear.

They are saying the starter armor and your racial armor should be free to apply to your existing armor (meaning, not cost transmutation charges). You still have to buy the cultural armor with your gold like usual, it will just be free to transmute since it is your racial armor and is unique to your race.

I voted yes, as anything that makes changing your appearance easier is a yes from me. I don't like the transmutation system as it is. Just make it cost a few silver for each piece you want to change and get rid of transmutation charges already. This system is more restrictive than other games, when it comes to a simple cosmetic change.

I perfectly understood what was being asked for. My vote still stands.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I think skins bought in the gem store shouldn't cost additional charges.Anything else is fine

I do agree with this. Spending real money seems like it should come with a benefit, even if you only get a handful of charges on the item, or on the side. Not full sets of armor, but the individual pieces you can purchase.

I also feel like if there were more free-to-change items, with an exclusion on certain pieces (like no legs or chest), people would be willing to use transmutation charges on what they don't get for free, while leveling.

I don't even get the point of transmutation charges. It seems like Arenanet really wanted to make them gem store obtainable only but balked at the potential backlash they'd receive. So now I'm drowning in them and they're a superfluous, pointless currency. As it is, I don't really see why all skins shouldn't be free to apply.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:The votes are skewed because people are not understanding the poll.

This isn't about getting free gear/skins. This is about not having to use transmutation charges to apply them to your current gear.

They are saying the starter armor and your racial armor should be free to apply to your existing armor (meaning, not cost transmutation charges). You still have to buy the cultural armor with your gold like usual, it will just be free to transmute since it is your racial armor and is unique to your race.

I voted yes, as anything that makes changing your appearance easier is a yes from me. I don't like the transmutation system as it is. Just make it cost a few silver for each piece you want to change and get rid of transmutation charges already. This system is more restrictive than other games, when it comes to a simple cosmetic change.

Well I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to those who thought this was about getting free armor. If you read the thread, you'll see some people thinking this is about getting free armor, not free to apply skins.

This is the first post you made in this thread, so my post didn't concern you at all as you never posted in this thread until after I said that.

To me personally, every skin is free to apply because I seem to have this infinite supply of transmutation charges.

I know they could run out in theory, but I just seem to get more of them than I'll ever use. I'm not sure that this design is really ideal.

Partial

• Starter Skins: This is interesting, allows you to keep a coherent look if you don't like something you pick up.
  • Cultural Skins: This feels iffy, the investment of those should be for a specific look already.
  • Gem Skins: Could go either way for me, don't really care too much, but if it did, I'd never ever use anything but Krytan on medium armor again.

I'm already a fan of most of the "free to apply" skins, like the Heritage skins, and it's the only reason I even ever look at the radiant/hellfire ones at all. And use them frequently to fill out various parts where they'd fit in, while saving a transmutation charge. But creating too many "Free To Apply" would basically just remove even more of the purpose of the transmutation charge system, so they either have to be careful with how many such they implement, or just re-design the Transmutation Charge system completely.

How would ppl who already transmuted these skins (maybe even a couple of times) and bought transmutations with gems think about such a change? I don't see it happen tbh. Create a new char and complete Rata Sum - its fastest imo -few times or complete the other cities as well and you get transmutation charges even whithout pvp-ing or wvw-ing.

Starter skins, sure. Cultural armor, no.

Edit: However I think things are fine as they are. I am drowning in transmutation charges, but perhaps that is because I play a decent amount of pvp/wvw. People are given free transmutation charges each month and they drop pretty regularly from map completion (100% chance from cities and starter zones).

@Warkind.6745 said:I don't even get the point of transmutation charges. It seems like Arenanet really wanted to make them gem store obtainable only but balked at the potential backlash they'd receive. So now I'm drowning in them and they're a superfluous, pointless currency. As it is, I don't really see why all skins shouldn't be free to apply.

I think it's at least partially a hold-over from the old system. When the game first came out the wardrobe didn't exist and transmutation was done by getting the item you wanted the stats from and one with the skin you wanted and using a transmutation stone to combine them. So the stones were both a currency and a functional thing - they opened the menu you used to transmute things.

When the wardrobe was introduced I guess they wanted some continuity with the old system (I can imagine a lot of people complaining if their transmutation stones just became useless) and maybe they do actually make some money from people buying them.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Starter skins, sure, why not, since there is no other way to acquire them except by creating new characters. But cultural skins might be going too far. Logistically that's a ton of skins, and I'm not convinced that transmutation charges are an issue. Even if it were, it makes more sense to then to add more ways to get transmutation charges, rather than making all cultural skins free to apply.

I'd love to see transmutation charges exchangeable on the trading post. That alone would fix both PvP and PvE players problems: PvE players would have the ability to get those for a reasonable price, and PvP players would have a decent gold income.

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

Well I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to those who thought this was about getting free armor. If you read the thread, you'll see some people thinking this is about getting free armor, not free to apply skins.

This is the first post you made in this thread, so my post didn't concern you at all as you never posted in this thread until after I said that.

I just felt the need to state it. Since I doubt the poll is that skewed. Most people who voted no and understood probably did so like myself, without commenting and might never come back to the post.

The transmutation charge system seems pointless to me, and seems pointless even to some who said no to free skins. What's the point in keeping a system that uses a currency that you'll never run out of? Transmutation charges aren't enough to get those who only PvE to go to WvW/PvP, and if you WvW/PvP transmutation charges are a wasted reward slot, I actually don't like getting transmutation charges as a reward from any part of the game. If you don't WvW/PvP then the system just feels bad due to the reward being too uncommon and the cost too high, especially as you have to buy the skin or go through effort to getting them, and then paying again to use them.

I would rather just have changing the appearance of armor be used as a minor resource/gold sink, than the current transmutation system.

Transmutation should be a gold sink (well, maybe not Gold per se, maybe a silver ? :smile: ).

But with the actual system, I'd vote yes for the starter skins. once unlocked, they should be free to apply. Not the cultural. Instead, though, they could replace each actual armor piece by an account bound skin bundle, to freely apply it once.I believe this wouldn't ruin the transmutation charge economy.

A massive detractor to players is seeing that the way to change your appearance will cost money. Finding out that they can be gained for free and easily never comes to those who try and quit.

From the outside, GW2 looks just like any other money greedy game. "No subscriptions" is not a powerful enough incentive to keep players past the cash shop. Maybe a transmutation charge should be given in the game as early as possible that tells you that they can be earned by doing map completion and PvP.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Maybe a transmutation charge should be given in the game as early as possible that tells you that they can be earned by doing map completion and PvP.

Yeah there should be something in place like a guaranteed one if you map complete your toon's capital city. They could place a portal to that city right behind where your toon spawns the first time and if you took the time to complete that map you would be guaranteed a Transmutation Charge.

Yeah that sure would be cool.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Maybe a transmutation charge should be given in the game as early as possible that tells you that they can be earned by doing map completion and PvP.

Yeah there should be something in place like a guaranteed one if you map complete your toon's capital city. They could place a portal to that city right behind where your toon spawns the first time and if you took the time to complete that map you would be guaranteed a Transmutation Charge.

Yeah that sure would be cool.

Heh, I almost fell for that. :D

I was going to say the starter city is locked to free accounts until level 10, but then remembered the wardrobe is locked until level 6 and it's unlikely they'd have more than 2 skins for each slot at that point, so they're probably not worrying about transmutation yet anyway.

Archived