Fighting for rewards in open world

The skyscale collections so far have been quite controversial but one unintended consequence I haven't seen mentioned is the effect is has on hearts and events. So many players are desperate to get the materials they need that they crowd events and hearts. Many of these are not made to handle more than a couple players at once. This results in waiting and competing for kills and tasks in a game that has otherwise made a good effort to avoid resentment and hostility.The scramble for map materials have turned other players from a welcome sight into a nuisance. I don't want to feel like other players are getting in my way and slowing my progress because there are only so many npcs to interact with.The situation will of course get better with time, but that is not a valid excuse for ruining the experience for players here and now. I hope Anet addresses this, but they probably will not since it will resolve itself with time.

I can agree with this, some hearts like the dredge one in thunderhead were very annoying when I was grinding my currencies because I wanted to do the fishing part of it, but other people could come in and use up all the fishing spots. I feel like this was hardly ever a problem before until now...

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:The skyscale collections so far have been quite controversial but one unintended consequence I haven't seen mentioned is the effect is has on hearts and events. So many players are desperate to get the materials they need that they crowd events and hearts. Many of these are not made to handle more than a couple players at once. This results in waiting and competing for kills and tasks in a game that has otherwise made a good effort to avoid resentment and hostility.The scramble for map materials have turned other players from a welcome sight into a nuisance. I don't want to feel like other players are getting in my way and slowing my progress because there are only so many npcs to interact with.The situation will of course get better with time, but that is not a valid excuse for ruining the experience for player here and now. I hope Anet addresses this, but they probably will not since it will resolve itself with time.

This is particularly noticeable in Jahia for the Heart to bring the factions together. They only periodically trigger so the massive crowd scrambles to take whoever does appear. It's more than a little frustrating. It would be better if they were all available all the time

@Samnang.1879 said:my character model iis always at lowest and all name tags are hidden, so even if ure the only person at the heart, i can't even tell you're there lol...

Why do you need to turn off name tags too? i alway set model to lowest but never turn off tags unless i'm in WvWAlso the Hunting Ground Heart in Sandswept Isles is annoying for group, player race to interact Suspicious Bushes first , you can only kill Skittish Prairie Dogs one at a time if there are two players....HO Boi...........!

Two hearts that get particuarly bad when overpopulated are "The Hunting Grounds" (Sandswept Isles) and "Help the cold and hungry dredge" (Thunderhead Peaks).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Hunting_Grounds_(Renown_Heart)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Help_the_cold_and_hungry_dredge

The Hunting Grounds becomes a bit problematic when you have six people swooping in with raptors on one Jacunda, leaving the bush population dangerously overforaged. Even worse, people are scaring away the skittish Prarie Dogs by carelessly running about or simply attacking them out of the bushes. Preditor's basically cease to exist at this point, so you can't count on them for renown. This heart becomes a nightmare the more people who come along.

Help the Cold and Hungry Dredge becomes a problem when you get about three plus players fishing at the same time. It's fairly easy to over-fish to the point where there are no longer any fish, and there isn't enough branded machinery to get around that handicap.

That said, these were the only real problems I had with other people while obtaining my skyscale. If anything, the community has been more than helpful - falling off great heights in DR to help people get res's for the achievement, or mesmers sticking around JP's to portal people to the skyscale.

I finished my collection Wednesday, as expected, and although I've only had a brief play on it in Tyria, I do see it for more than purpose and functionality - it's very fun to fly around.

I do have some criticisms on a few things that happened along the way, so I'll keep this structured and simple.

Some renowned hearts that could use a touch-up:

• Jahai Bluffs - the heart involving the awakened, sunspears and ash legion. I observed people frantically raptor-jumping towards any available NPCs. Could be better if the NPCs availability would refresh faster!

• Sandswept Isles - the hunting and feeding heart. Same problem with the Jahai Bluffs one, if a Suspicious Bush becomes food, it is first come first served. Also, some people were deliberately scaring off the prairie dogs to prevent other players from progressing.

• Thunderhead - the tuna heart has the fish basket too close to the bait, so you end up picking up the bait and losing the tuna. This wouldn't be a big problem if the tuna respawned a little quicker!

Other than that, I had a lot of fun doing the hearts!

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:my character model iis always at lowest and all name tags are hidden, so even if ure the only person at the heart, i can't even tell you're there lol...

Why do you need to turn off name tags too? i alway set model to lowest but never turn off tags unless i'm in WvWAlso the Hunting Ground Heart in Sandswept Isles is annoying for group, player race to interact Suspicious Bushes first , you can only kill Skittish Prairie Dogs one at a time if there are two players....HO Boi...........!

i do a lot of open world e vents like metas world bosses, and maps always have 50+ ppl ... it gets cluttered...

@Samnang.1879 said:

i do a lot of open world e vents like metas world bosses, and maps always have 50+ ppl ... it gets cluttered...

Heh i alway stare at the ground and hit 1

@Westenev.5289 said:Help the Cold and Hungry Dredge becomes a problem when you get about three plus players fishing at the same time. It's fairly easy to over-fish to the point where there are no longer any fish, and there isn't enough branded machinery to get around that handicap.Try talking to the discouraged dredge scattered around the settlement instead. There's only a handfull of different conversation choices, the right answer is pretty straight forward, and if you take a moment to breathe after making the rounds the first ones will likely have reset by the time you're done with the last ones. I've done this heart often simply by taking a few moments comforting dredge.

edit: I checked the heart just now for a bit more precise information: you need 10 successful conversations with discouraged dredge to fill the heart completely without doing anything else, which took me a little under 3 minutes, including reading all the conversation options and casually walking around the settlement

The only instances I can imagine that come remotely close to the description portrayed is if you have players that are working simultaneously on (the 2nd collection sub collecton Blood) or (the 3Rd collection of Creature Killing) while prepping for the 4th collection of of LS mat gathering.

At this moment, as someone who isn't really getting Skyscale, I welcome the crowd population on other areas.

I just want my last Ascended accessory and that's in Sandswept Isles. I usually have to try solo everything but right now there's enough people to actually get me to do the metas when Sandswept is usually dead or very small number of people around.

@Westenev.5289 said:Help the Cold and Hungry Dredge becomes a problem when you get about three plus players fishing at the same time. It's fairly easy to over-fish to the point where there are no longer any fish, and there isn't enough branded machinery to get around that handicap.

The fishing can be completely skipped. When I was doing the hearts for the weapons I usually skipped since talking to the dredges is much faster.

Archived