Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have not loged in to guild wars 2 since i reached sky scale saddle these currency's were last straw for me.i only played one character ,my warrior.at the moment im grieving and feel empty inside.im sure in time il feel better and find a new hobby.

You can do PVP or WVW to get these currencies, just saying.

@"AlexVv.3965" said:"You have to work for it!" - this approach was relevant 10 years ago. In WoW since the Lich King. Then it was a novelty, then it was interesting, then a new mount for collection seemed worth its effort. 10 years ago.This approach is -very- relevant today, with most "AAA" games trying to get you to "keep playing their games". It's not even just MMOs anymore.The problem with all community based games is that if they want to give somewhat of a value to something, it needs not to be available "that easily", which is the design intended by this mount. If this mount was required for anything to progress in the game, it would be easier to get (like all the other mounts, except gryphon), but it's not, because it's end game content for a living season.Having long term goals and "working" towards them is in the core DNA of an MMO. If you don't like that, and if you don't accept that you will never obtain every single reward of an MMO, then this genre isn't meant for you.As to why it oftens turn out to be grind... well because for one GW2 has a large casual fanbase that does not want to be challenged... and second... because no company can put up content quickly enough to keep players invested if there wasn't any grind.

MMOs aren't dying because of grinding. They've had that ever since their golden age and as many people said, GW2 is one of the least grindy of them. They're dying because the market is saturated.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

They should bring people back to old maps by adding something fun to do,
not by adding a huge grind ... it literally made me braindead
! They can even just add better rewards in these maps, PoF too and people would be flocking back to them in no time.And don't tell me "oh you don't have to do it, no one is making you"...
I'm AP hunter so that argument won't apply.
All I needed Skyscale for is done (reaching high places) so once I get it, it's absolutely useless and I'd despise it after all the grind and timegates.Just because something is 1-time-thing doesn't make it right. They're risking losing players if they never add anything fun but just timegates in order to have you come back because there is no other reason to go back as it is. I'm already trying my best to make my bf continue to play, when even I'm losing all hope that they listen, let alone care. They already know how people feel about timegates and many other things and they continue to shove them in the game.They say "we made it like this so people wouldn't have to pay 250g"... well, it's less brain damaging to earn gold as I can earn it by doing anything I enjoy while these currencies I can only earn ONE way and it's repetitive and I feel like I only have couple more brain cells before I become a vegetable.

As an AP hunter, wouldn't you be used to this type of grind?

I am but that shouldn't be normalized. Should it?They know they have people like me so they should consider that as well.At least atm I don't work so I can do this but what about those that do work? For example my bf, he works 10h monday to saturday so when he comes home he has only 2 or so hours before he has to get ready for bed. Anet doesn't consider people who have jobs and even if they do, they think GW2 is all people will play after they get home.And my bf poured loads of £ into Gemstore throughout the years (as did many people), 1 example being, when Permanent Hair Kit released he gifted me it for our 1st anniversary and he bought it for £220... for Anet to pour all the money they get into some PvP tournaments that 95% don't care for and some gifts that majority are not even able to enter, instead of using it for content they put grind after grind.

I dont understand this. People are whining, that they have some goal, which takes some time and have something to do. When there is nothing to do after story is finnished people whine, that there is nothing to do. When they add skyscale, where you have to do collection, people whine its too much. For example during collection I have found some things I have missed. Like in the Desert Highlands dwarven mines where you open doors with plates, so I have colleted all those skins.

I like this last episode. Very good map, new mount, a lot of things to do. If future LS look like this I might even forgive about expansion.

guild wars 2 gave me an escape from reality.i have Asperger syndrome ,bipolar disorder and ocd. i spent years developing my character a lvl 80 warrior with 283 mastery points. i looked forward to this episode like i did all the others.never in my worst nightmare did i imagine that this would be the end for me.at first i was angry now im just empty and lost.

Yet the unlock numbers keep growing. Now at 6,099 of 175,126 (3.483%) and when using 90,000 as base line (as mentioned the amount of gw2efficiency accounts which have the griffon, beetle or both unlocked) we are now at 6.7% of the gw2efficiency player base who have the mount unlocked (again, from accounts that have griffon, beetle or both unlocked). Close to 2% higher than the last time I checked 1.5 days ago.

This is before any time gate adjustments on Tuesday, which might increase unlock rates.

If you are unhappy or unwilling to grind and unlock the mount. That's is fine and a valid choice. Other players are completing the collections nonetheless and completion rates are increasing instead of slowing down indicating that less hardcore or prepared players are working on the collections successfully.

we all have different breaking points.i successfully completed the collection up to sky scale saddle.then i actually had a mental breakdown and cant go on.i honestly do not think it was fair that i was not told that i needed to keep these currency's when they were added to the game.i had just built new pc just for guild wars 2 i9 9900k and rtx 2080 ti.now it serves no purpose.i loved guild wars 2 and my warrior zandres .why did you do this anet?

I have played all these maps and I have most material already, although having not played since months regularly. It doesn't take that long. It's just horrible for casuals who haven't played in a longer time nor the new maps and wish to get the skyscale. I really feel sorry for them and Anet did a really bad move in driving those players away. Its decision was made to make people buy the new LS story parts and scatter playerbase around the new LS maps for a couple of weeks. It's that simple.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The mount is entirely optional. Optional means people can decide if they want to get it or not. The fact that it's optional is a main reason why it can be as expensive as the developers see fit (and even here, interesting enough the great majority of voters in this thread are against an adjustment while the most commenting are for a change).

See, that has been the real question for me. Is it entirely optional? I know (or at least am 99% sure) that ANET would never create a map that would require the mount in order to complete a quest (as they did for original PoF mounts, sans Griffon), but that doesn't mean that in future maps they won't include elements that are far easier to obtain with the Skyscale, or that might have optional rewards locked in a way that requires the mount to get them.

For example, in Kourna we had at least 1 Mastery Insight I can recall that was behind a Beetle door. While you don't need the Beetle for any story quest, if you don't have it, you would not have access to that insight.

That's entirely why I'm working on the mount - to insure I have access to all future content.

That is why I think it grates on me that this mount collection is more 'legendary' than other mounts, because nobody misses out on anything by not owning a legendary. If the collection for any Gen 1 or Gen 2 is just too daunting, nobody loses out by not doing it. The same cannot be said for the Skyscale (at this point).

Mounts in GW2 are not strictly cosmetic nor completely optional imo, as the QoL they provide is huge. While of course nobody NEEDS the Griffon, I think it would be fair to say that 99.99% of Griffon users could recall a situation where having the Griffon made it far easier to get to that "x" than if they only had Springer/Raptor/Gliding available. If anything the Skyscale collection alone shows how impactful owning a Griffon can be.

I'm at the feeding stage of the collection, with treats and toys completed, so most of the hard work is behind me, and I will concede that the collection wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I fully understand why many players might not want to embark on such a long journey, which has been my point from the start: long journeys or collections aren't a problem - the issue here is they put a mount at the end of it, instead of a legendary item/weapon/armor.

I will full on defend any legendary collection. If it hurts, if it sucks, if it's expensive, then imo it's working as intended. I still maintain that mounts should not be placed in the same category. The Beetle collection seemed fine to me, as did the Griffon. I think the Skyscale was a massive overreach and I hope ANET has learned from this, and will avoid repeating.

I acknowledge many players want long, hard, and challenging content (ironically, they are playing the wrong game for that) but I don't that should be attached to mounts which are sought largely for the QoL they bring.

This thread is a joke for trying to kill entire LS4 maps once again after it get resurrected by this skyscale update

What's the point of getting all new content unlocks in less than a week..., considering not all people including me 24/7 gaming all days like majority of you guys do

Glad someone did the math: 3 from each home instance node + 5 from new map vendor=8 250/8=32 days of just taking a couple minutes.

Add in doing just a single event in each map and that cuts it drastically. I just can't wait until they fix the rift things. It is hella fun following the vm paths. Also helps for getting used to the flying, which is much smoother than griffon when refueled by the vm.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Yet the unlock numbers keep growing. Now at 6,099 of 175,126 (3.483%) and when using 90,000 as base line (as mentioned the amount of gw2efficiency accounts which have the griffon, beetle or both unlocked) we are now at 6.7% of the gw2efficiency player base who have the mount unlocked (again, from accounts that have griffon, beetle or both unlocked). Close to 2% higher than the last time I checked 1.5 days ago.

This is before any time gate adjustments on Tuesday, which might increase unlock rates.

If you are unhappy or unwilling to grind and unlock the mount. That's is fine and a valid choice. Other players are completing the collections nonetheless and completion rates are increasing instead of slowing down indicating that less hardcore or prepared players are working on the collections successfully.

Of course unlock numbers keep growing; it would be illogical that they wouldn't. More people will unlock it every day. But I wonder if there are as many players who have it by now as ANet had hoped? We'll probably never know. A few people in my guild have it, many are working on it, and some are so put off by the requirements (does not fit their playstyle) that they won't get it.

I did some map grinds over the weekend for currencies and was bored out of my skull. Last night at reset I bought what I could from the VM vendor in Dragonfall and then exited the game because the whole thing is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth. At this rate, I'll get it in a month or so which is OK because my enthusiasm for it is much less than it was two weeks ago. Will not buy any skins unless the currencies are reduced soon, and I don't mean that as a whine or a tantrum, because we all choose how to spend our gems or not spend them.

@DarkForcE.9210 said:This thread is a joke for trying to kill entire LS4 maps once again after it get resurrected by this skyscale update

That's honestly a weak argument. If the only reason those maps are populated are because of the skyscale, once people have it, those maps will once again become empty. What then is the point?

Yesterday my wife went into Lake Doric for some achievements, and it was dead empty - like nobody there. This is unusual, as there is often a leather farm going on, and I regularly see players participate in the metas. It was empty because the players who are normally there are off collecting S4 currency for the skyscale. But guess where they will be once that collection is complete?

Additionally, at the very same time, I witnessed full maps for 3/4 of the HoT metas. The pull of the Skyscale didn't diminish participation in AB, TD or DS maps.

I doesn't get move obvious than this.

32 days grinding currency i would already have had .i already farmed all these maps to death.its a bit much to expect me to know back in 2017 when the first of these currency's were added that i needed to keep them for a mount in 2019. i understand that some people keep every thing .but i always tidy up my inventory at end of play .we all have a breaking point.i done all the way up to sky scale saddle and then i just broke.have not loged in since.i played guild wars 2 since 28 August 2012 all the way up to sky scale saddle.something changed and it was not me.all i want know is why?

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@Curse.7368 said:But with the map currencies this is going to take me another year or 2 before I am able to get that mount.

It'll take you around a month. Use someone else's home instance nodes and use the trader in Dragonfall. That's 8/day. 250/8=32 days.

32 days of play time, I am only able to play 2 to 4 hours a week. Do the math again. ;)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Yesterday my wife went into Lake Doric for some achievements, and it was dead empty - like nobody there. This is unusual, as there is often a leather farm going on, and I regularly see players participate in the metas. It was empty because the players who are normally there are off collecting S4 currency for the skyscale. But guess where they will be once that collection is complete?

Additionally, at the very same time, I witnessed full maps for 3/4 of the HoT metas. The pull of the Skyscale didn't diminish participation in AB, TD or DS maps.

I doesn't get move obvious than this.

We are discussing LS4 maps, why are we jumping or comparing to HoT maps lol...

LS3 maps are dead long time ago, even before this new mount. (I never see tag running Lake Doric during my farming to get 250 currencies of each map for Aurora)

Now that I got this mount 2 days ago, I still farming just for Volatile Magic to get nodes for my home (stable and efficient currency income for me being able to play game less than 4 hrs per day as full time company employees)

@"Deihnyx.6318" said:You can do PVP or WVW to get these currencies, just saying.

Yes I know. But besides this, many more things are required for this collection.

This approach is -very- relevant today, with most "AAA" games trying to get you to "keep playing their games". It's not even just MMOs anymore.

Tools, in the form of a monstrous grind, for this "holding the players" become obsolete. That is already outdated. Even in this thread - I do not see the mass joy of this grind-fest.

Having long term goals and "working" towards them is in the core DNA of an MMO. If you don't like that, and if you don't accept that you will never obtain every single reward of an MMO, then this genre isn't meant for you.

Not. I really enjoyed it 10 years ago. In WoW. Pretty quickly, I got tired of it, about a year. Later in the Rift, I mostly played PvP. In the GW2 - the same thing, spvp and WvW.Sometimes - PvE. But in GW2, there is a great combat system (although there are problems with the balance :), the game itself is very beautiful, the WvW mode is unique and always interesting - it makes me come back time after time after interruptions in the game. This keeps me (and many others), and not just another grind.

As to why it oftens turn out to be grind... well because for one GW2 has a large casual fanbase that does not want to be challenged... and second... because no company can put up content quickly enough to keep players invested if there wasn't any grind.

But there are also raids and fractals for PvE fans, as far as I understand it’s easier to add new content there than the new “season”.

MMOs aren't dying because of grinding. They've had that ever since their golden age and as many people said, GW2 is one of the least grindy of them. They're dying because the market is saturated.

I think that they are dying because of the lack of new ideas, and the stubborn use of old, already annoying.At one time, the “Manifest of the GW2” seemed to be something completely new, refreshing ... but gradually everything came to another grind.However, talented people work in Anet, and I think they will still surprise us with something new and interesting in the future:)

anet claimed in there manifesto in 2010 that guild wars 2 would not suck your life away and have you on a grind treadmill.i believed them and put years of my life into there game.now they hit us with this collection.that manifesto is still up on there web site .but no longer reflects the game they produce.

@aspirine.5839 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency
isn't
a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

Lol are these kits worth it? I have always thrown them away.

I do the same but about 200 champ bags and almost 50 gold for dust dropped by mobs, while I was doing metas to get maps# currency are a nice loot.

@eldrin.6471 said:anet claimed in there manifesto in 2010 that guild wars 2 would not suck your life away and have you on a grind treadmill.i believed them and put years of my life into there game.now they hit us with this collection.that manifesto is still up on there web site .but no longer reflects the game they produce.

I don't see what you are ralking about. There is no gear treadmill in game and NO ONE is rushing you to get the skyscale, nothing in game yells at you get it NOW or be left behind. They een made it optional so people still can get spirit shards. Where is the grind in this? That LW4 maps are lively and map chat is nice and funny?If I was Anet I would wait till about a million players will get skyscale and add something like legendary earring with same x250 from each map, to keep that maps busy.

doing the same thing over and over that you not enjoy for weeks on end is grind in what was marketed as a no grind game.but i already done the work to get these currency's.and it is not my fault anet did not tell me i needed to keep them for a collection 2 years latteri would be more than happy to return the gold igot over the last 2 years by exchanging these map currency's for volatile magic.the mount means nothing to me .but that number above my warriors head the new lvl system known as mastery would permanently fall behindso i can no longer play guild wars 2. at this stage i can only hope anet changes something or refunds my map currency's.

first I said things should change but the more I'm playing the maps the more I'm enjoying this.I am not even half way but I say, keep it as is, it will take me a while to finish this since I am a student I don't play much. maybe after I finish the next season will start.

I didn't bother with the griffon because of the 250g crap, but I was really interested in getting the Skyscale after looking at the collections. Needing 250 of each map currency is absurd compared to the rest of the unlocks. Go here, fight this, craft this, buy that, chase your Skyscale around maps, etc. are all on an equally doable scale. And then just a big FAT wall right at the end. I'm considering just zoning out through WvW to get them from the reward tracks because trying to gather every node and do every heart in every zone every day is so tedious and boring.