Soulbeast is not an issue. "Sic 'Em!" is.

Shroud.2307

@Anput.4620 said:My weaver has 7 evades and never has a problem avoiding it. My thief can stealth the AA's, my scrapper throws up a barrier and my warrior/ranger just pop invul.

It matters how good it is or not, thats how balance works.

Just nerf marksmanship then if you want that so bad but don't hurt the balanced version of the build just to nerf a cheesbuild that is worse.

Again, DE can oneshot without you even seeing them, but no one cares because they can't do it while you are on your mount, this is just a dismounting complaint. These things happenes pre-mounts too.

that's great dood, you can deal with them 1v1. I bet most of them are bad.let me ask you this: do you think 1 shots and 10k+ autos over 2k range are ok?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Anput.4620 said:

@Anput.4620 said:Except bunkers are still the best 1v1 specs right nowjust 5.5 with a balanced build(if you run full glass then you are toast as soon as they evade your burst).but to me it sounds like this may not be about balance in fightsthis isn't about bunkerswe're not talking about balanced buildstell me how to avoid auto attacks at 2000 rangeyou may not be reading things correctly

The full glass build is so bad where if you evade the initial burst they die like a wet noodle, especially to a condi bomb. Balanced build with marauder armor and durability runes and wilderness survival is a better duelist. I am just saying that it really isn't that good for a 1v1 and that it's just a pubstomp build to kill noobs with.

I mean if i go full beserker guard, ele, thief or mesmersI die instantlyI Just dont have the rangeExcept for ele not the ridiculous damage modifyersBut plz tell me more how ranger's more risky

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Anput.4620 said:My weaver has 7 evades and never has a problem avoiding it. My thief can stealth the AA's, my scrapper throws up a barrier and my warrior/ranger just pop invul.

Just nerf marksmanship then if you want that so bad but don't hurt the balanced version of the build just to nerf a cheesbuild that is worse.

Again, DE can oneshot without you even seeing them, but no one cares because they can't do it while you are on your mount, this is just a dismounting complaint. These things happenes pre-mounts too.

that's great dood, you can deal with them 1v1. I bet most of them are bad.let me ask you this: do you think 1 shots and 10k+ autos over 2k range are ok?

They can't oneshot, it is more than 1 hit. 10k autos are also not the norm, i have never hit one, my AA crits with sicc em are 5.5k with a normal build.

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@Anput.4620 said:Except bunkers are still the best 1v1 specs right nowjust 5.5 with a balanced build(if you run full glass then you are toast as soon as they evade your burst).but to me it sounds like this may not be about balance in fightsthis isn't about bunkerswe're not talking about balanced buildstell me how to avoid auto attacks at 2000 rangeyou may not be reading things correctly

The full glass build is so bad where if you evade the initial burst they die like a wet noodle, especially to a condi bomb. Balanced build with marauder armor and durability runes and wilderness survival is a better duelist. I am just saying that it really isn't that good for a 1v1 and that it's just a pubstomp build to kill noobs with.

I mean if i go full beserker guard, ele, thief or mesmersI die instantlyI Just dont have the rangeExcept for ele not the ridiculous damage modifyersBut plz tell me more how ranger's more risky

You die instantly? Then why have mesmers and thieves been doing this for ages and be fine.

@Anput.4620 said:They can't oneshot10k autos are also not the norm, i have never hit onewith a normal build.

wrong. longbow can 1 shot with rapid fire or even with 2 lb aa's (yes it is more then one hit, no it doesn't matter since it is still one skill and the ttk is under a second. not even talking about longbow tho.)then you don't know how to do it, your problem.how many times do I have to tell you. we are not talking about normal builds.

go ahead, lie and evade the question. im done.

@Anput.4620 said:

They can't oneshot, it is more than 1 hit. 10k autos are also not the norm, i have never hit one, my AA crits with sicc em are 5.5k with a normal build.

You die instantly? Then why have mesmers and thieves been doing this for ages and be fine.

I mean, like the ranger: dodges, invulns, mobility skills (blinks, leaps), stealth and blocks

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Anput.4620 said:They can't oneshot10k autos are also not the norm, i have never hit onewith a normal build.

wrong. longbow can 1 shot with rapid fire or even with 2 lb aa's (yes it is more then one hit, no it doesn't matter since it is still one skill and the ttk is under a second. not even talking about longbow tho.)then you don't know how to do it, your problem.how many times do I have to tell you. we are not talking about normal builds.

go ahead, lie and evade the question. im done.

Look. The only way to kill someone with 2 AAs is if you are full zerk, 25 sigil stacks, run MM AND BM (which has 0 condi cleanse, no protection, no passive signet proc), run dps food instead of dodge food, (probably use a useless signet only for it's passive fero gain), gain fury from utility skill, then use another utility skill to proc attack opportunity passive with fury for the 2nd hit. Not even to mention that your opponent ALSO needs to have 0 protection, 0 TOUGHNESS..... That's a lot to ask for. Killing someone with 2 AA is not really doable. RF is standard cus it's just less of a hassle. If you don't want to get 1shot, get some protection and some toughness. Now they will deal anywhere between 40-50% less dmg and you've increased your sustain vs all power builds by a significant amount.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:What I would change is make Sic 'em range 1,200, make it dodge/evadable, and give it a 1/4 second cast time with some kind of visual/audio tell. This adds some counter play to the ability. I don't mind it being powerful as long as it's also avoidable.

1/4s is too short if you want dodge/evade as counterplay. The only realistic way to dodge a 1/4s cast is to "pre-dodge" it in anticipation.

Human reaction time (to audio stimulus) is something like ~170ms, best case, not taking into account all the distractions and complications of combat. I'm pretty sure the average latency is 80ms+. That already covers 1/4s.

In a combat situation, you're looking at ~350ms reaction time + 100ms ping. You'd want the cast time to be 3/4s to allow for counterplay.

@coro.3176 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:What I would change is make Sic 'em range 1,200, make it dodge/evadable, and give it a 1/4 second cast time with some kind of visual/audio tell. This adds some counter play to the ability. I don't mind it being powerful as long as it's also avoidable.

1/4s is too short if you want dodge/evade as counterplay. The only realistic way to dodge a 1/4s cast is to "pre-dodge" it in anticipation.

Human reaction time (to audio stimulus) is something like ~170ms, best case, not taking into account all the distractions and complications of combat. I'm pretty sure the average latency is 80ms+. That already covers 1/4s.

In a combat situation, you're looking at ~350ms reaction time + 100ms ping. You'd want the cast time to be 3/4s to allow for counterplay.

Haha what? No. 3/4s is as long as a regular dodge. Most people on my server in EU have 40-50 ms ping. When playing as roamer you're usually more aware and have faster reaction cus of adrenaline. 250 ms is the baseline reaction time. A lot of decent players have less than that. And by the way, most of the combat in this game is based in anticipation, so... Yea. As an example I regularly dodge enemy rangers PBS and occasionally hunters shot. As well as DH f1 spear.. list goes on. 1/4 s would be fine but .. it's almost like it wouldn't make a difference considering the ranger is usually far away when using it. All it would do is make it impossible to cast it while using another skill.

Oh and by the way, turn on your ingame sound. Sicem used to be a shout, so you can hear easily when they use it :)

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:The fix to Sic'em is to reduce the increased damage by half for the merged Soulbeast. They did this with the attack of opportunity from Maul, so there is justification for it.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attack_of_Opportunity_(soulbeast_effect)

That might make sense but then sicem would be largely useless for any build that isn't a onetrick pony/ tower pewpew..

@bigo.9037 said:

Haha what? No. 3/4s is as long as a regular dodge. Most people on my server in EU have 40-50 ms ping. When playing as roamer you're usually more aware and have faster reaction cus of adrenaline. 250 ms is the baseline reaction time. A lot of decent players have less than that. And by the way, most of the combat in this game is based in anticipation, so... Yea. As an example I regularly dodge enemy rangers PBS and occasionally hunters shot. As well as DH f1 spear.. list goes on. 1/4 s would be fine but .. it's almost like it wouldn't make a difference considering the ranger is usually far away when using it. All it would do is make it impossible to cast it while using another skill.

Oh and by the way, turn on your ingame sound. Sicem used to be a shout, so you can hear easily when they use it :)

If you say so.

Test yourself: https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

My best is 200ms, but I average 250+. That is me sitting there waiting for a single huge flashing colour to appear on the screen and reacting as soon as possible.

In combat, you have to

• hear "Sic Em"
  • process that it is "Sic Em"
  • choose your reaction
  • execute that reaction

Now, maybe if you have your finger right on your dodge button and maybe if you're specifically waiting for that skill, you might be able to dodge right as you hear the "S" of sic-em.

Even in that case, I bet your reaction time is still worse than 1/4s.

@coro.3176 said:

If you say so.

Test yourself:

My best is 200ms, but I average 250+. That is me sitting there waiting for a single huge flashing colour to appear on the screen and reacting as soon as possible.

In combat, you have to
  • hear "Sic Em"
  • choose your reaction
  • execute that reaction

Now, maybe if you have your finger right on your dodge button and maybe if you're specifically waiting for that skill, you might be able to dodge right as you hear the "S" of sic-em.

My dodge is on my mouse-button my thumb is always on and i have no problem dodging it, or invuling it, or evading it.

@coro.3176 said:

If you say so.

Test yourself:

In combat, you have to
  • hear "Sic Em"
  • choose your reaction
  • execute that reaction

You got exactly the reaction time i expected gj lol.

Yea it's true the ranger coming out of LOS while you aren't ready with an unblockable RF straight to your face isn't a fun experience, it has been, still is possible to come out of nowhere with a 1shot on other classes. Mesmers have a reputation for this. I do agree though, it's really easy to pull it off on ranger and a bit harder on mesmer. But the mesmer has stealth and blinks too.

I will agree 2/4 is probably better idea, but the way you describe having to wait for the enemy to use that specific skill is exactly how combat in this game works. You guess what your enemy might do next, as soon as you realize they are going to do that, you either dodge or take other counter measures. I wait for enemy to use sicem. I wait for DH to use spear.. wait for warrior to use shield bash so I can counter, thief to use steal.. etc. Steal is instant yet it's still not uncommon at all in a duel to dodge it.

A 20% damage modifier would only be considered useless by players that have come accustomed to the grossly over tuned skill. Any dps skill or trait on any class that's 20% is deemed as not only useful but a necessity on power builds more times than not. If u think sic em would become useless if providing 20% increase to all attacks while providing reveal than slb is most definitely over performing cuz any player on any other class would be happy to have a 20% increase that can easily be made unblockable compared to the usual 10 to maybe 15% modifiers most classes get with criteria having to be met for such gains ie 20% dps gain if opponent is under 50 hps or 15%if all endurance is used. Slb have been spoiled far to long.

@bigo.9037 said:

If you say so.

Test yourself:

In combat, you have to
  • hear "Sic Em"
  • choose your reaction
  • execute that reaction

Yea it's true the ranger coming out of LOS while you aren't ready with an unblockable RF straight to your face isn't a fun experience, it has been, still is possible to come out of nowhere with a 1shot on other classes. Mesmers have a reputation for this. I do agree though, it's really easy to pull it off on ranger and a bit harder on mesmer. But the mesmer has stealth and blinks too.

I will agree 2/4 is probably better idea, but the way you describe having to wait for the enemy to use that specific skill is exactly how combat in this game works. You guess what your enemy might do next, as soon as you realize they are going to do that, you either dodge or take other counter measures. I wait for enemy to use sicem. I wait for DH to use spear.. wait for warrior to use shield bash so I can counter, thief to use steal.. etc. Steal is instant yet it's still not uncommon at all in a duel to dodge it.

That is what you should expect! That is about average for human visual reaction. Actually, it's slightly better than average, but that's my point. You can't expect people to have this kind of dedicated reaction time in a fight - especially not once you factor in distractions, potentially having to think and make a decision, and latency. I would expect a skill that is supposed to be dodgeable to have at least a 0.5s cast time, and 0.75s cast time if it's supposed to be interruptible.

Yes, you can dodge instant skills like steal, but if you review a replay of it happening, you'll notice that you're not dodging in reaction to the skill. You're pre-dodging because you expect them to do something. If you're good at predicting your opponent, this works in your favour, but if your opponent is better at predicting you, they just hold off and hit you after you've wasted that dodge. Either way, it's a mind game and not the reactive gameplay I'd like.

@coro.3176 said:

If you say so.

Test yourself:

In combat, you have to
  • hear "Sic Em"
  • choose your reaction
  • execute that reaction

That is what you should expect! That is about average for human visual reaction. Actually, it's
, but that's my point. You can't expect people to have this kind of dedicated reaction time in a fight - especially not once you factor in distractions, potentially having to think and make a decision, and latency. I would expect a skill that is supposed to be dodgeable to have at least a 0.5s cast time, and 0.75s cast time if it's supposed to be interruptible.

Yes, you can dodge instant skills like steal, but if you review a replay of it happening, you'll notice that you're not dodging in reaction to the skill. You're pre-dodging because you expect them to do something. If you're good at predicting your opponent, this works in your favour, but if your opponent is better at predicting you, they just hold off and hit you after you've wasted that dodge. Either way, it's a mind game and not the reactive gameplay I'd like.

Yea you're right. But I think that's ok. .5 is fine, imo. You could even add a better tell for the still. Like making the ranger appear larger if he uses it while merged.

@bigo.9037 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:The fix to Sic'em is to reduce the increased damage by half for the merged Soulbeast. They did this with the attack of opportunity from Maul, so there is justification for it.

)

That might make sense but then sicem would be largely useless for any build that isn't a onetrick pony/ tower pewpew..

A +20% damage unblockable modifier is hardly useless. Signet of Might is less of a damage boost and it wrecks Guardians who think they are safe.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:The fix to Sic'em is to reduce the increased damage by half for the merged Soulbeast. They did this with the attack of opportunity from Maul, so there is justification for it.

)

A +20% damage unblockable modifier is hardly useless. Signet of Might is less of a damage boost and it wrecks Guardians who think they are safe.

but more because it applies unblockable, not because of the might. sicem has no inherrent unblockable.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:The fix to Sic'em is to reduce the increased damage by half for the merged Soulbeast. They did this with the attack of opportunity from Maul, so there is justification for it.

)

but more because it applies unblockable, not because of the might. sicem has no inherrent unblockable.

You are correct. Unstoppable Union or signet of the hunt however are generally used with sicem for the unblockable. I was conflating the two in my head, I blame work fatigue.

@MUDse.7623 said:

)

It's easy enough to make it unblockable tho

It's really easy to nerf sicem without making it unplayable. While also making it better for risk/reward gameplay. Reveal effect for same time, remove dmg buff in seconds and instead"Your pet (player while merged) does 40% extra dmg on the next 3-4 hits"

There you go. Melee dmg is now high but you can't get instagibbed from 1500 range.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

)

You are correct. Unstoppable Union or signet of the hunt however are generally used with sicem for the unblockable. I was conflating the two in my head, I blame work fatigue.

that is correct therfor slot the signet instead of a 20% sic em.

@MUDse.7623 said:

)

You would be better off with another stunbreaker with extra utility like PM, LR or QZ. without sicem unblockable isn't good enough dmg for a 40s CD utility slot at ALL.

@bigo.9037 said:

)

You would be better off with another stunbreaker with extra utility like PM, LR or QZ. without sicem unblockable isn't good enough dmg for a 40s CD utility slot at ALL.

thats another point. but i would still rather take an unblockable over a 20% dmg buff.