Skyscale Anti-Fashion?

This game used to get called "Fashion Wars 2" all the time. Now not so much...

Let's start with the skyscale. Everyone's talking about the skyscale. First of all, what's the point of hovering in one? No one can see your name, so it might as well be someone else with the mount. Also, no one can see your toon's fashion when you're in the air with it -- their focus is on your skyscale and its eye-popping skin. So, folks, what's the point in getting a skyscale? Just to say you got one? It might as well be someone else who got it instead.

It honestly feels like Mount Wars 2 now, or (still) Bag Wars 2, or what have you. It's not really Fashion Wars when most of the new cosmetics are for pets and chairs and anything but your character.

@"Blocki.4931" said:Can't I have something for MYSELF? I dress up my characters because I PERSONALLY like looking at them. Getting the occasional "hey that's quality armor" comment is just an added bonus.

Agreed.

I like looking at other peoples characters and even take screenshots of ones which really interest me (and then I do try to capture the name if I have time, just in case I ever share it, so I can credit them) but I don't for one moment imagine any of them care what I think, and I certainly don't dress my own characters up to impress anyone else. I choose skins and dyes (and yes mounts and gliders and everything else) which I like and which suit the idea of the character's personality I have in my head. If anyone else likes it that's a bonus, but if not it doesn't matter.

I certainly don't think anyone is under any obligation to make sure their character is on display for me, or anyone else, to see. If they're hovering on their skyscale too high up to be seen clearly then presumably they don't want to be seen, like the people who never seem to spend any longer than absolutely necessary at the bank/TP and are buried in other characters while there.

I don't have the skyscale unlocked yet (hoping to have it by Friday) but I can already tell you there will be 2 reasons I'd be hovering on it: 1) I want to be up out the way of everything and therefore I'm not trying to be seen, 2) I had to go afk while flying and haven't given a single thought to whether anyone can see me. (My friends have a running joke that they could find champion spawns by waiting for me to go afk in a nice, empty area, because after 7 years I still can't remember that events will start up randomly in this game, so the chances I'll think about fashion fans seeing me are astronomically low.)

(Also there's a lot more to the skyscale than showing off skins. It's a new mount with unique mechanics so I assume a lot of people are getting it so they can use it, including so they can hover out the way of things.)

I got a skyscale because the entirely time I was traversing the maps working on getting the skyscale I was thinking to myself how much easier every map would be if only I had one.

Also, hovering on a skyscale allows you to afk out of combat without ever having to worry about being engaged by random mobs.

Skyscales all by themselves are fashionable, whether or not anyone can see your gear.

@zealex.9410 said:Fashion wars died when they added all the infusion bloat.

I know, right? Better they hover overhead on a lovely dragon so I can’t see that they are a sickly phosphorescent green and spouting sparks and fumes... :mask:

But seriously, whether beautiful, badass or biohazard, people should (and I assume do), choose their character names, fashion and mounts for their own enjoyment. :)

@"Blocki.4931" said:Can't I have something for MYSELF? I dress up my characters because I PERSONALLY like looking at them. Getting the occasional "hey that's quality armor" comment is just an added bonus.

:+1:

Many have expressed the same sentiment, and I agree with them. I do not play Fashion Wars for other people's enjoyment. Why should I care about other people's standards of what's beautiful and what's not? It's all subjective anyway. I don't care if people know who I am or not, or if they like what they see or not. It's for my own enjoyment only. And if people don't like it, they can look away. That's what I do when I run into one of the many eyesores that frequent this game.

@Mortifera.6138 said:I don’t buy all the people saying they fashion for themselves. If you’re only doing it for yourself, why not just fashion in your head? No one else can see it, and you’re happy with the image. Plus, you skipped all the needless grind!

lol, well, when you design, launch and run an MMO of your very own, you can then tell the players exactly how you want them to play it. In the meantime, since none of that applies to GW2, my advice would be if you're unhappy in GW2, just /uninstall.

But please send me your stuff first, kkthx.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:I don’t buy all the people saying they fashion for themselves. If you’re only doing it for yourself, why not just fashion in your head? No one else can see it, and you’re happy with the image. Plus, you skipped all the needless grind!

lol, well, when you design, launch and run an MMO of your very own, you can then tell the players exactly how you want them to play it. In the meantime, since none of that applies to GW2, my advice would be if you're unhappy in GW2, just /uninstall.

But please send me your stuff first,

This doesn’t answer my question at all. If you’re fashion-ing for yourself, why not just do it in your head? No one else can see it, but at least you’re happy with the image.

Because it's fun to see what it actually looks like in the game? And to be able to actually see it in action when I'm playing.

And at least for me often fun to unlock the skins - if it looks like 'needless grind' to me then I won't bother, I'll find something else to use but as I enjoy a lot of the gameplay in GW2 there's plenty of things I can unlock without resorting to grind.

I mean I could easily imagine myself playing GW2 instead of actually logging in, but it's generally more fun to actually do things.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

This doesn’t answer my question at all. If you’re fashion-ing for yourself, why not just do it in your head? No one else can see it, but at least you’re happy with the image.

Why are we all here? We could all play D&D to better results, according to you.

Sadly, pretty sure I'm just feeding a troll here... :trollface:

That’s just stupid. Sorry to be blunt, but really. :unamused: I care very much how my characters look even in single player games like Dragon Age and I know a LOT of other people who do as well.

By your “logic,” why play the game at all? Just do whatever you want in your own mind — you can be omnipotent! :trollface:

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Because people want an actual representation/trophy in front of them they created. No different to drawing, painting or any art which people do for themselves. Wouldn't be much point in that if they just stored the image in their head...