Does anyone else crave Bard as a specialization?

Kahrgan.7401

I do. It would work well for thief if anyone has played bard in dnd.

Especially with thiefs initiative system. The steal ability can be replaced with perform, thats based on your attack combo. Similar to hunting horn in monster hunter. Trade off stealth, to gain a strong bonus for the same duration, but keep sneak attacks. Itd make a high skill support. But knowing Anet, not a very powerful one.

And this would really only work well if anet fixes thiefs initiative problem

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Please don't. If they choose to make a bard, add it as a standalone profession or make it a Ranger Elite using Mesmer magic, or Mesmer using Ranger skills.

Leave the Thief alone. The Thief is about not getting attention and the Bard simply crave for it. It's incompatible.

It would be funny to turn a corner to be ambushed by a thief lying in wait with his orchestra.

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:I do. It would work well for thief if anyone has played bard in dnd.

Especially with thiefs initiative system. The steal ability can be replaced with perform, thats based on your attack combo. Similar to hunting horn in monster hunter. Trade off stealth, to gain a strong bonus for the same duration, but keep sneak attacks. Itd make a high skill support. But knowing Anet, not a very powerful one.

Depends on the version of D&D you're looking at.

2nd edition D&D could do some of the out-of-combat thief stuff like picking locks, but in combat it behaved more like a fighter-mage than a thief: putting it more in mesmer's camp.

3rd edition D&D pushed them more into a buffing fighter-mage role. They have some hiding ability but, well, so does mesmer.

4th edition explicitly make bard arcane support ("leader" in 4E nomenclature, but it means support), while rogue was a martial DPS class.

5th edition I'm less familiar with, but on a casual observation, it seems to fit the trend. Bards and rogues have similar proficiencies, and from what I can see, rogues and bards still seem to behave very differently in combat. An Arcane Trickster rogue dabbles in illusion and enchantment, but that would be represented more by a thief moving more into mesmer territory than bard.

Furthermore, as referenced previously, the precedent in Guild Wars is for performers to be mesmers (when they're given a profession at all). The bard archetype - moderate fighting ability, spell loadout mostly focused on illusion, enchantment, and support effects, and a bit of sneakiness - would be far more suited to a support mesmer than to anything thief.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:I do. It would work well for thief if anyone has played bard in dnd.

2nd edition D&D could do some of the out-of-combat thief stuff like picking locks, but in combat it behaved more like a fighter-mage than a thief: putting it more in mesmer's camp.

3rd edition D&D pushed them more into a buffing fighter-mage role. They have some hiding ability but, well, so does mesmer.

4th edition explicitly make bard arcane support ("leader" in 4E nomenclature, but it means support), while rogue was a martial DPS class.

5th edition I'm less familiar with, but on a casual observation, it seems to fit the trend. Bards and rogues have similar proficiencies, and from what I can see, rogues and bards still seem to behave very differently in combat. An Arcane Trickster rogue dabbles in illusion and enchantment, but that would be represented more by a thief moving more into mesmer territory than bard.

Furthermore, as referenced previously, the precedent in Guild Wars is for performers to be mesmers (when they're given a profession at all). The bard archetype - moderate fighting ability, spell loadout mostly focused on illusion, enchantment, and support effects, and a bit of sneakiness - would be far more suited to a support mesmer than to anything thief.

Thief hides using stealth while Bard hides using illusions (i.e. disguise) -- yes, Bard is a Mesmer.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

Depends on your play style. Bard is incredibly versatile.

Also let a man dream. Mesmers get to stomp all over our territory! Why not give us this one!

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:I do. It would work well for thief if anyone has played bard in dnd.

Depends on your play style. Bard is incredibly versatile.

Also let a man dream. Mesmers get to stomp all over our territory! Why not give us this one!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Portal

Seriously, though, broadly speaking I'd be happy to see an elite spec that branches thief more into mesmer - I just don't think a bard-esque theme is the way to do it.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Please don't. If they choose to make a bard, add it as a standalone profession or make it a Ranger Elite using Mesmer magic, or Mesmer using Ranger skills.

Leave the Thief alone. The Thief is about not getting attention and the Bard simply crave for it. It's incompatible.

It would be funny to turn a corner to be ambushed by a thief lying in wait with his orchestra.

Ye, he robs you of all your gold by making you pay ticket for his sudden ambush performance.

@Alatar.7364 said:

Ye, he robs you of all your gold by making you pay ticket for his sudden ambush performance.

Mesmers do that already.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Mesmers do that already.

On the plus side, it would give my harp staff wielding daredevil some actual lore backing.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Mesmers do that already.

On the plus side, it would give my harp staff wielding daredevil some actual lore backing.

I don't know why I pictured Lord Faren with that comment.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Mesmers do that already.

I don't know why I pictured Lord Faren with that comment.

Tbh that's about as seriously as you ought to take that haha

I'm way too traumatized by 2nd(or 2.5 as BG2 is known) Edition D&D to ever like bards. So no thanks. I consider it a joke profession.

It's just the most useless class in that Ed. Limited casting level, no extra spell slots, absolutely useless with weapons and no useful thieving skills. Their Loremastery can be easily replaced by a 1st level spell or a pair of Glasses of Identification. To top it off, the Bards song takes an entire round to affect your party, and even when it does, casting a Magic Missile would've been more useful. And it's a channeled ability... -.- Bard is supposed to cover 2 roles in 1 but in actuality it covers maybe 0.75 if I'm generous./rant over

However I've heard that later editions brings it up to par with the others. Which is why I'm waiting for BG3 eagerly.

@Alatar.7364 said:

Well... Combine thief with engie and call them surprise mechanics.