living story takes too long

Newbstr.4871

the one where you fight the inquest and protect the kids takes way too long. I get the boss to 50% or less just for my internet to cut out or a crash or something always happens. why is the ability to resume from last battle still not implimented? I dont have to go all the way through the instance just to get a chance to land a single hit and maybe just maybe I might kill him. I work and dont have much time hence why I play guild wars.... maybe have a gem store item to skip living story bosses and still unlock the map? idk just a suggestion...

• Like 1

They already started implementing story checkpoints a while ago now, so it's not that much effort to run back to the same point. If it's disconnecting in the middle of a story battle (not right before/after cutscenes), the problem is most likely on your internet end. LW stories are too short imo and only take like 2-4 hours max (excluding achievs and map completion) for most players to complete (even on chars with core builds), even faster if you have a party.

@"Newbstr.4871" said:the one where you fight the inquest and protect the kids takes way too long. I get the boss to 50% or less just for my internet to cut out or a crash or something always happens.

Do you mean the golems in the Olmakahn village? That boss fight does take way too long but it's hardly the only encounter guilty of it. The line between "epic" and "I could be doing something else right now" is very thin and (IMO) most of the of the bosses are the latter.

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@"Newbstr.4871" said:the one where you fight the inquest and protect the kids takes way too long. I get the boss to 50% or less just for my internet to cut out or a crash or something always happens.

Do you mean the golems on the Olmakahn village? That boss fight
does
take way too long but it's hardly the only encounter guilty of it. The line between "epic" and "I could be doing something else right now" is very thin and (IMO) most of the of the bosses are the latter.

This. As far as that progress-saving feature mentioned, it has been implemented in at least a few instances that I've noticed for which I'm glad they did. There still needs to be one on that Mordremoth fight and the option to skip dialogue is the one QoL update I want more than any other.

@Newbstr.4871 said:... maybe have a gem store item to skip living story bosses and still unlock the map? idk just a suggestion...

This. While I understand that people have a variety of opinions, to me the GW2 stories are often long and tedious, at times boring while at other times they can be quite frustrating. Personally I wish that the stories were optional rather than having maps, mounts, and such locked behind them.

Now, this may come off as a bit blunt but GIT GUD. No seriously in almost all instances the story is not hard. You just need to run with a proper build and be flexible enough to swap out traits and utilities depending on your encounters.

If you struggle to get a decent build WoodenPotatoes started a series of a bunch of builds that work well in the Open World.

@Kodokuna Akuma.9570 said:Now, this may come off as a bit blunt but GIT GUD. No seriously in almost all instances the story is not hard. You just need to run with a proper build and be flexible enough to swap out traits and utilities depending on your encounters.

I do wonder how someone gits gud enough at game play to stop a computer crash. The right build can do that?

If you're doing a story instance in a party and one person drops out is it possible for them to rejoin the instance? I've never tried that myself but I know it works with dungeons and if story instances are the same it could be a solution to this problem - go in with another player, and then if you drop out you can rejoin. And if you still want to beat the boss by yourself you could ask them to just wait out of the way somewhere.

@Danikat.8537 said:If you're doing a story instance in a party and one person drops out is it possible for them to rejoin the instance? I've never tried that myself but I know it works with dungeons and if story instances are the same it could be a solution to this problem - go in with another player, and then if you drop out you can rejoin. And if you still want to beat the boss by yourself you could ask them to just wait out of the way somewhere.

afraid that once someone leaves the instance they cant come backHeart and mind end boss from Hearth of Thorns expension comes to mind

@Donari.5237 said:

@Kodokuna Akuma.9570 said:Now, this may come off as a bit blunt but GIT GUD. No seriously in almost all instances the story is not hard. You just need to run with a proper build and be flexible enough to swap out traits and utilities depending on your encounters.

I do wonder how someone gits gud enough at game play to stop a computer crash. The right build can do that?

Yeah, maybe there's a telecoms engineer build that can fix it?

@"Kodokuna Akuma.9570" said:Now, this may come off as a bit blunt but GIT GUD...

"GIT GUD", Hmm, how did I know someone was going to say that, in ALL CAPS no less, with the attendant assumptions implicit in such a statement. Let me give you a bit of my context. This month I turned 70 years old. Not only have I been experiencing the normal slowing down of physical and mental reflexes associated with aging but I also have several health issues which have been accelerating that slowing down process. It's to the point where I medically qualify to have the state pay the bills if I want to live in an assisted living facility. (I don't, not yet, but that's a different story.) So there are some real world limitations on how "GUD" I can "GIT".

Having said that, let me point out that I didn't say I couldn't do the stories. I've soloed the personal story, LW2, HoT, the LW5 prologue, and am currently working on LW3. With ascended gear, including ascended food, as well as a meta build and all the forgiveness the designers built into the stories, I can complete them. What I said was that I found them long, tedious, boring, and at times frustrating. "GITTING GUD" has nothing to do with those reactions. To me, the stories are like annoying farming - something unwanted I have to get through in order to unlock the content I do like, open world roaming. Personally I would rather the stories were optional - there for those who like them but skippable for those who don't.

@Danikat.8537 said:If you're doing a story instance in a party and one person drops out is it possible for them to rejoin the instance? I've never tried that myself but I know it works with dungeons and if story instances are the same it could be a solution to this problem - go in with another player, and then if you drop out you can rejoin. And if you still want to beat the boss by yourself you could ask them to just wait out of the way somewhere.

Sadly not possible. When anyone drops connection in a story mission while in party its impossible to enter back. I have tried this method in the past with a friend that kept disconnect. New pc and improved internet had fixed that. I guess the reason for this is due to the constant updating story steps (things would probably break).

@Donari.5237 said:

Protip: If the computer is crashing frequently enough for it to be considered an actual issue. Idk why you would be here complaining the story is too long rather than fixing your own pc.Also If you actually complete the story not at a snails pace then you reduce the time possible for a crash to happen ;p

@Chichimec.9364 said:

....To me, the stories are like annoying farming - something unwanted I have to get through in order to unlock the content I do like, open world roaming. Personally I would rather the stories were optional - there for those who like them but skippable for those who don't.

To me they have been optional. So far this is the only LW I have had any interest in starting (I have them all, I just never started any). I have never finished a personal story, as they get boring and tedious. I love open world roaming, and doing hearts. This prologue has been fun, not sure how long I will hang in with the season ha ha :)

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@"Newbstr.4871" said:... maybe have a gem store item to skip living story bosses and still unlock the map? idk just a suggestion...

This. While I understand that people have a variety of opinions, to me the GW2 stories are often long and tedious, at times boring while at other times they can be quite frustrating. Personally I wish that the stories were optional rather than having maps, mounts, and such locked behind them.

Actually there is such item https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Recharging_Teleport_to_Friend If you own all the chapters, you can teleport into new map with that device. Of course that won't help skipping story or the bosses but at least you are able jump into new map if you don't want to do story.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

....To me, the stories are like annoying farming - something unwanted I have to get through in order to unlock the content I do like, open world roaming. Personally I would rather the stories were optional - there for those who like them but skippable for those who don't.

To me they have been optional. So far this is the only LW I have had any interest in starting (I have them all, I just never started any). I have never finished a personal story, as they get boring and tedious. I love open world roaming, and doing hearts. This prologue has been fun, not sure how long I will hang in with the season ha ha :)

Hehe, yeah, the stories have been mostly optional for me too. Up till now I've just been cherry picking them for access to things I particularly want, like the basic mounts as well as Istan for loot farming. At this point I'm just starting to work on legendaries and am thinking about getting the griffon, possibly the skyscale too. So this seemed like a good time to finally work through the stories systematically to unlock all the maps and such. The prologue was also fun for me too by the way. Not sure why but it's the first story line I actually enjoyed playing.

@Mikaq.7102 I thought tele to friend only worked on a new map if you had already unlocked it in the story with at least one alt. I've misunderstood things before so if I got that wrong, I'm going to be really glad you gave me that tip. :)

@Chichimec.9364 said:@Mikaq.7102 I thought tele to friend only worked on a new map if you had already unlocked it in the story with at least one alt. I've misunderstood things before so if I got that wrong, I'm going to be really glad you gave me that tip. :)

No problem. Only limitation is that it won't work if you are trying teleport below 80 unless you have actually completed story. That is based on wiki.Good thing is that you only need to do that once as you can buy those portal scrolls for those maps. At least LS3, LS4 and newest Saga map. if you have of course enough volatile magic or unbound magic that is :)

@Mikaq.7102 said:

@Chichimec.9364 said:@Mikaq.7102 I thought tele to friend only worked on a new map if you had already unlocked it in the story with at least one alt. I've misunderstood things before so if I got that wrong, I'm going to be really glad you gave me that tip. :)

No problem. Only limitation is that it won't work if you are trying teleport below 80 unless you have actually completed story. That is based on wiki.Good thing is that you only need to do that once as you can buy those portal scrolls for those maps. At least LS3, LS4 and newest Saga map. if you have of course enough volatile magic or unbound magic that is :)

Sweet! Much thanks.