Thanks for the FREE build templates ANET!!

SLOTH.5231

@Gotenks Jr.3752 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:What are you thanking them for ? Thank you for not milking me and actually doing your job like you promised back in 2012?

Hold on ... what makes you think that even if this feature was released in 2012, you wouldn't be charged for it? What you are saying doesn't make sense. the timing has NOTHING to do on whether Anet is going to monetize a feature or not.

Nothing is 'milking' anyone. That's how sour people talk when they have to pay for something they want ... when they think they should be entitled enough to get it for nothing. There is absolutely NOTHING unreasonable going on here. It's an extra, QoL feature. The OP has it right ... everyone SHOULD be thankful you get access to some off a useful feature without having to pay for it.

As far I'm concerned I'd be less upset (I'd have still been upset) if was charged for back in 2012, the hardest content PvE wise was dungons, which were great (and still are albeit neglected and bizarely not being utilised).

Why would I have still been upset, well in GW1 I could have as many build templates as I wanted, I was only limited by the amount of txt files I could store on my PC.

This doesn't make much sense ... you would be upset if you were charged for templates in GW2 because in GW1 you got unlimited ones for free? How is GW1 related to what happens in GW2? It's not, like even remotely. It's in fact, completely irrelevant. Two different games, two completely different business models. The ONLY thing that ties those games together is the lore ... and that ain't no good reason to think Anet shouldn't charge players for useful features and items.

The timing isn't relevant. Whether these features were released in 2012 or now ... they are still useful and sensible to charge to players to use them.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Obtena.7952 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:What are you thanking them for ? Thank you for not milking me and actually doing your job like you promised back in 2012?

Hold on ... what makes you think that even if this feature was released in 2012, you wouldn't be charged for it? What you are saying doesn't make sense. the timing has NOTHING to do on whether Anet is going to monetize a feature or not.

Nothing is 'milking' anyone. That's how sour people talk when they have to pay for something they want ... when they think they should be entitled enough to get it for nothing. There is absolutely NOTHING unreasonable going on here. It's an extra, QoL feature. The OP has it right ... everyone SHOULD be thankful you get access to some off a useful feature without having to pay for it.

As far I'm concerned I'd be less upset (I'd have still been upset) if was charged for back in 2012, the hardest content PvE wise was dungons, which were great (and still are albeit neglected and bizarely not being utilised).

Why would I have still been upset, well in GW1 I could have as many build templates as I wanted, I was only limited by the amount of txt files I could store on my PC.

This doesn't make much sense ... you would be upset if you were charged for templates in GW2 because in GW1 you got unlimited ones for free? How is GW1 related to what happens in GW2? It's not, like even remotely. It's in fact, completely irrelevant. Two different games, two completely different business models. The ONLY thing that ties those games together is the lore ... and that ain't no good reason to think Anet shouldn't charge players for useful features and items.

I'd have been upset because of that yeah, I'd however have been much less upset because it didn't really matter that much to me back then either xD also its a Sequel and they used similar business models.

@Gotenks Jr.3752 said:

I'd have been upset because of that yeah, I'd however have been much less upset because it didn't really matter that much to me back then either xD also its a Sequel and they used very similar business models.

No, they don't have similar business models. If you think they do, you just don't know what that means. Besides, that doesn't change the fact that GW2 isn't GW1, so no, it's not reasonable to be upset that a feature you got for free in GW1 you pay for in GW2.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I'd have been upset because of that yeah, I'd however have been much less upset because it didn't really matter that much to me back then either xD also its a Sequel and they used very similar business models.

No, they don't have similar business models. If you think they do, you just don't know what that means.

They have certainly diverged much more now, I agree. Perhaps to me its more of a perception thing, GW1 after all had a limited cosmetics store back then and was mostly using its older store for buying account upgrades to give a feel for what the Gem store would become.

Its an expectation based on whats already been presented, for me personally I was disappointed initially it wasn't there at all. I obviously expected changes, we were moving from a CORPG to an MMORPG and there was a lot fo talk of changes, including simplifying the way builds worked. Thats why as I say I was less bothered about it overall.

Heck even when I wrote that massive response to you I realised what aspects of it being a paid thing, I accept. My main issue in it being paid, is that from what I know of the system its below what I would consider reasonable before asking for Gems.

I can see easily why you would do this with gear, I just think its should be at least 3 arguably 4 before the Gem store comes into play. As for traits and utilities, I think its silly to charge for it at all. Again though thats my opinion.

Not going to comment on the monetisation as other have better input than I do. Though, I do have to say that the UI for Build Templates looks great. I love that the chat codes in game can be moused over to get a quick view of the build! Fantastic ideas by the team on the design of the UI and the functionality available.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Firebeard.1746" said:This is why they had to lay off 1/3rd of their staff.No. They had to lay off 1/3 of their staff because they decided to use the money GW2 earned for them, not to further improve the game and thus make sure people will continue playing (and paying), but on some unrelated stuff that didn't pay off.

This isn't what the ncsoft ceo said. It falls in line with what i said:https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804/amp

Songyee Yoon, the CEO of Korean publisher NCSoft West, which owns ArenaNet, e-mailed employees this afternoon with the news. “Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased,” she wrote. “Where we are is not sustainable, and is not going to set us up for future success.”

@Shena Fu.5792 said:their business it to satisfy the customer, not the other way around. this business model and inconsideration is leaving a bad taste in good percentage of

And they also have to make money so they can pay their employees and keep the game going. We have to pay for additional bag slots and bank slots. So if course the same model is used for additional templates.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:This is why they had to lay off 1/3rd of their staff.No. They had to lay off 1/3 of their staff because they decided to use the money GW2 earned for them, not to further improve the game and thus make sure people will continue playing (and paying), but on some unrelated stuff that didn't pay off.

This isn't what the ncsoft ceo said. It falls in line with what i said:

Songyee Yoon, the CEO of Korean publisher NCSoft West, which owns ArenaNet, e-mailed employees this afternoon with the news. “Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased,” she wrote. “Where we are is not sustainable, and is not going to set us up for future success.”I see nothing in this that conflicts with what i said. the problem is, as i said, that "delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects". For Arenanet, the delays in development (on PC and mobile) he mentions is about those undisclosed projects they were doing. The revenue against which this was a drain is GW2. So, exactly what i said earlier - they decided to develop other projects at a cost to gw2, and those other projects didn't pay off and ended up being only a revenue drain. Thus, layoffs.

@Dante.1508 said:Most customers didn't even know Arcdps existed..Most customers didn't need or ask for build templates either. Of those that did need them, most were using arc templates already.

@"Obtena.7952" said:That still doesn't explain why there is something unreasonable about monetizing useful features to players. Again, timing isn't a factor here. If this came out in 2012, it still would have been a feature worth using to create revenue.You think that wardrobe (feature almost everyone is using to some degree) was any less "worth using to create revenue" than build templates - something that is useful to a much smaller group of players? And yet the degree to which wardrobe got monetized then was almost nonxistent compared to what happened with build templates. The only monetization then was transmutation charges, and they were (and are) so easily available it's entirely possible for players to heavily utilize that feature without ever paying gems, and without ever spending time on farming transmutations with other means.At the time when armorer, leatherworker etc were upgraded to level 500, they weren't considered worth using to create revenue. Recently, culinarian 500 however was used for exactly that.If you can't see that standards have changed in those 7 years, it's just because you don't really remember how it was then. I mean, it was easy not to notice, seeing as that change was very slow and gradual, not something that suddenly happened, but still simple comparison of how the things were in 2012/2013 and 2019 would show clear differences.

No one is being milked here.I will respectfully disagree with you here.

The fact that Arc is so popular for managing different builds DEMONSTRATES the value of this feature to players.Sure. So what? Wardrobe is also extremely popular, and yet devs didn't feel the need then to nickel and dime us for it. Do you really think they wouldn't feel the need to do it if that feaure was shipped today?

This is just another example of people being dishonest. They don't like it because they were getting the all the milk they wanted from the neighbours cow for free and now they can't. Entitlement is NO reason to complain about having to pay for useful features.Entitlement indeed isn't. The milk now offered being both way overpriced and sour definitely is however. Especially if that free and better milk isn't available only because someone chased the neighbour away with a shotgun.(besides, i thought you said noone is getting milked here :P)

@SLOTH.5231 said:Seeing there is some negativity in regards to this I wanted to start a thread to show my appreciation for the free templates.

I also look forward to purchasing more slots for my character to support this great game people love to hate ?

When ArenaNet added build templates to GW1, there was no limit, no slots. Just a file that gets put in your /Guild Wars folder on your computer. Each build was a file, and you could have as many of them as you want, or even make folders in that folder for organization. The limit is literally the size of your hard drive.

When ArenaNet added build templates to GW2, they monetized the everliving shit out of it by splitting it in two and creating limits to how many builds you could save without buying more.

I'm glad they've finally added it. But holy shit this just goes to show how drastically the philosophy of ArenaNet has changed since their manifesto video for GW2, let alone from 2008. It makes me glad that they've stopped development on GW1, because if they didn't it would be just as horrible at this point, I feel.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I don’t see what the issue is as we’re getting three free character slots. Well, technically it’s six as they’re giving us three more for free for a limited time. Not sure if those three are character bound or account bound.

Before this we had free unlimited build templates. After, our templates are paid-for and limited to 6.

No, only people who used obscure third party programs had them. No everyone can have them directly from Anet.

Except it wasn’t obscure, it was incredibly popular and almost everyone I meet in game uses it. People like you are a minority. Good that your ignorance is now paying off, but the majority isn’t happy about this.

People you meet =! majority of people.

@yoni.7015 said:

Well of course, you're back with your kiss kitten attitude. kitten off...I'm done arguing sense with you from the last thread

Do you work for free or why do you think everyone has to work for free for you?

I don't think everyone has to work for free, having an opinion that some things are acceptable paid and some things should be core features is absolutely NOTHING like saying I wish "everyone has to work for free", especially when it was free and unlimited in GW1, it's a downgrade from a free add-on currently* and it's something that if other games can't be bothered to implement as a core feature they allow addons/mods do it for them (Actually could someone name another major MMO that charges for this feature?)

* Because if you can't do better, ban it

From reddit"This. One of the conditions to ANet allowing my templates extension was that I let it die when an official solution comes around, and that condition hasn't changed"

and

@Obtena.7952entitledYou misunderstand, not entitled to have it for free, we're entitled to call greedy bastards what they are when we see it though. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's ok to have yours even if it's wrong.

@Dalec.9853 said:

Well of course, you're back with your kiss kitten attitude. kitten off...I'm done arguing sense with you from the last thread

I don't think everyone has to work for free, having an opinion that some things are acceptable paid and some things should be core features is absolutely NOTHING like saying I wish "everyone has to work for free", especially when it was free and unlimited in GW1, it's a downgrade from a free add-on currently* and it's something that if other games can't be bothered to implement as a core feature they allow addons/mods do it for them (Actually could someone name another major MMO that charges for this feature?)

From reddit"This. One of the conditions to ANet allowing my templates extension was that I let it die when an official solution comes around, and that condition hasn't changed"

and

@Obtena.7952entitledYou misunderstand, not entitled to have it for free, we're entitled to call greedy bastards what they are when we see it though. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's ok to have yours even if it's wrong.

Who is the greedy one here that wants everything for free? Do you complain at the supermarket because you have to pay for your groceries? Again, Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 2.

@yoni.7015 said:

and

Who is the greedy one here that wants everything for free? Do you complain at the supermarket because you have to pay for your groceries? Again, Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 2.

Do you even read? nobody said EVERYTHING for free.

And no, Guild Wars 2 certainly isn't Guild Wars 2 as we knew it anymore. * Yes I know you meant GW1, and yes it's a fair comparison considering it's their game

Do you think you are clever coming up with idiotic shit like complaining to pay for groceries as a somehow equal comparison in your mind to complaining about a late feature that should have been part of the core game (we paid for) or accepted as an add-on if they can't be bothered.

Are you making the mistake in thinking everyone is a F2P player now?

Edit: I've probably spent more on the game than you too and I've been playing from the start so none of the game was ever free to me, so you can get this wanting everything for free nonsense out of your head - it's all about what is acceptable or not.

@"SLOTH.5231" said:

Well it simplifies things being built in to the game. I know some people don’t like change but sometimes change is necessary for evolution.

Nice evolution you got there. Going from near unlimited templates to being limited to just 6 per character.

And don't even start with "3rd party plugins don't count", "I only need 2 templates what's the problem", "you can still manually switch gear" arguments. Having more templates wouldn't hurt you one bit. Having less templates hurts those who have created and are using multiple builds for different game modes.And yet another nice example of your "evolution". Going from automatically to manually switching more than half of the builds on some characters.

New templates are more inconvenient than the current unofficially supported solution. Also I didn't even mention price as being a negative thing, which seems to be biggest gripe for most people.

Other than that, the system they have in place is great. It just sucks so much the limit on gear is 6, and you can't even buy more if you wanted to. That's the worst part.

@Dalec.9853 said:

and

And no, Guild Wars 2 certainly isn't Guild Wars 2 as we knew it anymore. * Yes I know you meant GW1, and yes it's a fair comparison considering it's their game

Do you think you are clever coming up with idiotic kitten like complaining to pay for groceries as a somehow equal comparison in your mind to complaining about a late feature that should have been part of the core game (we paid for) or accepted as an add-on if they can't be bothered.

Edit: I've probably spent more on the game than you too and I've been playing from the start so none of the game was ever free to me, so you can get this wanting everything for free nonsense out of your head - it's all about what is acceptable or not.

I have been playing from the start as well. But I want to support the game and don’t want everything for free.

Yknow. I can't think of a more brilliant idea to make Anet charry of their current stance on allowing 3rd party volunteer groups to develop helpful tools for the players (after clearing it with Anet), than to whine about the cessation/transition of such tools as and when Anet wants to release new (monetised) features.

This is a thanks thread. The complaint thread is elsewhere.

Edit: also, don't forget that Anet staff probably had to propose and argue for allowing 3rd party add ons, and for devoting company resources to developing build templates (after 7 years), 8 months after a down-sizing.

@yoni.7015 said:

and

Do you think you are clever coming up with idiotic kitten like complaining to pay for groceries as a somehow equal comparison in your mind to complaining about a late feature that should have been part of the core game (we paid for) or accepted as an add-on if they can't be bothered.

I have been playing from the start as well. But I want to support the game and don’t want everything for free.

Thats great! I don't want everything for free either and have paid plenty and have continued to, thanks fellow supporter of the game!Where we seem to disagree on is what is acceptable to charge for.

As you like strange comparisons like the groceries example, I assume that means you would wish to pay gems for every step you take in game? I mean being connected to the game, server costs... you don't want the devs to go hungry right?

@Dalec.9853 said:

and

Thats great! I don't want everything for free either and have paid plenty and have continued to, thanks fellow supporter of the game!Where we seem to disagree on is what is acceptable to charge for.

As you like strange comparisons like the groceries example, I assume that means you would wish to pay gems for every step you take in game? I mean being connected to the game, server costs... you don't want the devs to go hungry right?

No, I like the current model. It wasn’t a strange comparison it is exactly the mentality you and others are showing here. Everything has to be free, everyone has to work for free so that you can have it all for free.