pls give us more things to do with spirit shards post

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:I like the idea.I had previously suggested that it could be made so we could trade Tomes of knowledge for spirit shards, instead of just the other way around.

Maybe not a 1-to-1 conversion, but 3 shards per tome, or 235 shards for a free Lv 80 boost would be acceptable.

Or maybe a Heroics Notaries vendor that takes shards instead of WvW tokens. Something to make leveling and getting a full spec for a character much easier.

@kharmin.7683 said:Not if you have to work for that 1G. We already accomplished enough to gain the shard. Why should we have to do more to make that reward ... rewarding?

Because shards are a MF currency. They’re not another passive reward. It also doesn’t take all that much effort to convert them unless you have a lot. The time it takes to convert them will still produce a G/hr rate much higher than any other farm in the game so it’s not like you’d be wasting your time.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Not if you have to work for that 1G. We already accomplished enough to gain the shard. Why should we have to do more to make that reward ... rewarding?

Because shards are a MF currency. They’re not another passive reward. It also doesn’t take all that much effort to convert them unless you have a lot. The time it takes to convert them will still produce a G/hr rate much higher than any other farm in the game so it’s not like you’d be wasting your time.

But I believe the point is that we shouldn't have to convert them to something just to get a reward. Shards should be their own reward, effort to convert notwithstanding. If it's a conversion thing, then when we are awarded shards we should just get a pop-up asking if we want a shard or the 1G.

@kharmin.7683 said:

But I believe the point is that we shouldn't have to convert them to something just to get a reward. Shards should be their own reward, effort to convert notwithstanding. If it's a conversion thing, then when we are awarded shards we should just get a pop-up asking if we want a shard or the 1G.

There are already enough passive rewards in the game. Shards were created to be a currency for the MF as that’s what the old skill points were used for outside of character development uses.

@kharmin.7683 said:

That would completely destroy the economy, more precisely we would have great inflation. Something you can often see in mmorpgs.Maybe you noticed that the pure gold rewards in game are very limited. Monsters drop very little gold, they mostly drop materials which you can trade or convert to other items and again trade with other players via gold currency. That is how anet regulates the influx of gold versus gold sinks and it one aspect they do very good.Spirit shards are a part of that economy. They are not just another currency with which you buy certain items. They also balance the gain of different materials. If one type and tier of material is in abundance compared to others and the prices are low, it is profitable to convert them to their higher tier counterpart. People will consequently do the conversion and balance the amount of materials on the market.That is why you have to make that reward as you put it. Because via that act of conversion you are also helping with the balance of the market and stable economy.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:They already have a use that lets you make over a gold per spirit shard.

That site needs to be explained. I do not get it at all. The very first one, all the values are wrong. Ruby Pendants cost 200 gold, not 88 gold. All the pendants cost 200 gold.

The site assumes you can buy items for the lowest offer price, and not an immediate purchase. It also assumes any item you sell will sell for the lowest price anyone else is currently selling it for, not the highest price someone is offering to buy it.Both of those are big assumptions. But this also means that it is not an instantaneous way to get gold. You would place offers to buy the various base pendants. Some number of hours/days later, maybe someone sells it to you at your offer price. Now you make the item. You list it for sale for 1 cp lower than the currently lowest sale price. Once again, some number of hours/days later, someone might buy it at that price.But also equally possible you are never able to buy the items at the low price (other people keep offering slightly more than your buy offer), or same true when selling. At least when trying to buy something, you can cancel your current buy offer and make a new one with with a slightly higher price than last highest offer.But now you are spending a bunch of time managing this, and you need 200+ GP to even go this route - the scale one might be more reasonable, just because the costs involved and that being a more dynamic market.But all of this is a lot more working and just buying something with a bunch of spirit shards that is instantly worth money, like what you can do with volatile and unbound magic.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:They already have a use that lets you make over a gold per spirit shard.

That site needs to be explained. I do not get it at all. The very first one, all the values are wrong. Ruby Pendants cost 200 gold, not 88 gold. All the pendants cost 200 gold.

You’re doing it wrong if you’re paying 200G. You have to realize that every item in this game that is tradeable has two prices.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/23095-Triforge-Pendant

Also, you’re better off converting materials that sell quickly than one off items that people probably wouldn’t buy such as that pendant.

There's lots of ways to convert spirit shards to gold. And you can't really have too much of that, whether you spend it to buy "things" or convert to gems.Laziness seems to be the only problem here.

A few skins or decorations for spirit shards would be nice I guess.

@kharmin.7683 said:But I believe the point is that we shouldn't have to convert them to something just to get a reward.Spirit shards are a currency, and as such a reward in themselves. Whenever you get a spirit shard, you get a reward. Whether you use that reward/currency for its primary purpose (mostly crafting-related) or not is up to you.

This game is great in that it additionally offers you ways to convert one currency into another (e.g. spirit shards to gold), but at a price (since gold reward is not the currency's primary purpose), whether it be time, other materials, or other currency needed (or all of them).

Some people don't care much about the things they can do with any one specific currency. Those that don't go for legendary equipment, frequent stat-changing of ascended equipment, or certain special weapon skins don't have much use for spirit shards. Those that don't buy much PoF-related vendor items have piles upon piles of trade contracts. One friend of mine often jokingly complains of drowning in karma, since he plays a lot of wvw and rarely pve, so his karma income is considerably higher than what he uses up. Another one has no use for the different kinds of magic, since he's got everything of the living story vendors he wants, but isn't interested in converting it via material chests.

As I said above, this game is great in that it offers you to convert excess currency that you don't need for your playstyle into different stuff (and materials, too), but that doesn't mean that conversion has to be quick or easy, or that you are entitled to be rewarded with the currency (or materials) you personally find most useful. If you don't want to use your spirit shards that's your choice (and mine ... I currently have more than 10k spirit shards and 100k unbound magic in my main account's wallet ;) ), but seeing how there are enough players in this game that are constantly low on those currencies I still think they are in a good place and don't need any more sinks.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Don't go for rarer items unless you are familiar with the market demand and price trends. I've burned myself plenty of times while trying to flip expensive items just based on insta buy/sell prices for which I had no clue of the demand and long term price trends. But maybe your bank is full on green wood and rawhide leather - basic materials. which you can convert and have some extra profit.Also if you don't know what to do with all the spirit shards, it means you don't really need so much resources and you are just fine with you gold and material situation. Maybe there will come a day when you suddenly realize you are out of shards and than you will also realize they are really really hard to come by and how valuable they are. You can't just go and buy them or convert something into them. So be happy, you are rich, you just don't know it yet.Don't get me wrong I am far from a rich guy that buys spirit shards and flips legendaries. I just use them to convert basic mats when my bank is full and conversion is profitable and use less that I earn. But with time also my game changes and with time I realize something new and need some currency I never really used before. I used to think karma is useless and had millions. Then came a day I realized I am rich and spend those millions in a hearth beat.