Humbly requesting a way to turn off legendary trinket effects

3 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

But they've told us they want to do that, and I at least am positive they will do it. They just didn't have the resources available to do it in time for the release of the legendary armory.

The only responses I see from Anet state they’re NOT going to commit to it right now because:

1) It would take a lot of work to change how existing visuals work. 

2) They don’t want to give players 2 legendary rings/accessories for making only 1 ring/accessory.

My suggestion negates both issues. And while I haven’t dealt with GW2’s engine, I can’t imagine that it is so messed up beyond reason that Anet can’t spend resources for something as quick and simple as creating 2 items without visual effects.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2

I was thinking of maybe starting to make legendaries again, starting with trinkets. But after seeing this thread, maybe I'll start with armor instead, or drop the idea again...

I'm for plain stuff. I don't want to be stuck with flashiness that doesn't fit my style.

• Like 1

@Embered.5089

I don't think you need to be too worried about this:

a) I'm pretty sure they will fix it, if only to allow all trinket effects to be turned off, probably before you collect too many of them as they are all fair sized projects

b) if you are really worried start with Conflux - the WvW ring. You can equip 2 of those and the effect for that can be turned off. To have 2 legendary rings you need one Conflux anyway as you can only get one Coalescence.

c) the PvP amulet may be another option as you can turn off the effect for that too, but you may already be doing the Return to Living Story events for that trinket.

d) if you then get the two accessories you are left with the purple bubble effect (in combat only), until Anet fix things and that's probably the least offensive of the bunch. I've learnt to accept it for now!

(Backpacks are also hide-able or transmutable of course)

Edited by Jong.5937
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

The only responses I see from Anet state they’re NOT going to commit to it right now because:

1) It would take a lot of work to change how existing visuals work. 

2) They don’t want to give players 2 legendary rings/accessories for making only 1 ring/accessory.

My suggestion negates both issues. And while I haven’t dealt with GW2’s engine, I can’t imagine that it is so messed up beyond reason that Anet can’t spend resources for something as quick and simple as creating 2 items without visual effects.

They're also just talking about having it disabled for the user. I want to be able to disable it on everybody. Not only it ruins the experience (the complete combined effect is simply too much), but it also hinders performance during group events. 

This should be a priority since they're going to revamp the entire engine to DX11 just for performance (and because DX9 lts is about to end). 

• Like 1

Here is my take on a solution:

Create 'new' legendary versions of Vision, Aurora, and Coalescence that can only be attained by trading them in to Hobbs.

Make these versions of the trinkets unique and unable to be worn alongside their 'ball' version. No checkbox, no effects.

This way, you cannot get Vision, trade it in to Hobbs for the neutered version, and be able to equip both versions. But, you would have both in the Armory if you wanted to wear the non emasculated version. 

I worry about the event legendary amulet being a dumb floating ball like the others are; I been asuming it'll be like the Spvp Transcendence one which is just a lame snowglobe with a picture in it. I don't like the other ones at all either and there's no toggle hide for accessories other than back pieces so I never bothered with any of them. It's just one of the many bright gaudy visual noise things Anet thinks is cool but I have absolutly no interest in it.

The otter infusion actually does a much better job at being something I'd consider a legendary trinket. It's actually what I'm looking forward to most with the event legendary amulet; which is being able to use otter infusion on each equipment template, since I'm not allowed to buy copies of it with laurels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I worry about the event legendary amulet being a dumb floating ball like the others are; I been asuming it'll be like the Spvp Transcendence one which is just a lame snowglobe with a picture in it. I don't like the other ones at all either and there's no toggle hide for accessories other than back pieces so I never bothered with any of them. It's just one of the many bright gaudy visual noise things Anet thinks is cool but I have absolutly no interest in it.

The otter infusion actually does a much better job at being something I'd consider a legendary trinket. It's actually what I'm looking forward to most with the event legendary amulet; which is being able to use otter infusion on each equipment template, since I'm not allowed to buy copies of it with laurels.

Anet devs would have to be extremely out of touch with the players for them to not have the foresight to include a toggle option for the upcoming amulet.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 5

Or maybe they really really like low performance and a lot of visual noise. 

Or they have really optimized machines. I mean, I have a 1080ti and I can run the game over 60fps for the most part. The framerate drops in huge blobs, but if 3-4 people have those trinket effects I can go under 10 fps easily. 

I have to switch very often between high and low character models. 

I mean, there is already an option to remove gear entirely on other characters. How hard can it be to remove just the trinket effects?

Edited by Kidel.2057

On 8/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Here is my take on a solution:

Create 'new' legendary versions of Vision, Aurora, and Coalescence that can only be attained by trading them in to Hobbs.

Make these versions of the trinkets unique and unable to be worn alongside their 'ball' version. No checkbox, no effects.

This way, you cannot get Vision, trade it in to Hobbs for the neutered version, and be able to equip both versions. But, you would have both in the Armory if you wanted to wear the non emasculated version. 

One little problem, those 3 items do not exist in your inventory anymore. You cant just trade them in. When you want to equip one of these items, they go straight into you equipment slot from the armor. It is impossible to put them into your inventory or bank.

14 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

One little problem, those 3 items do not exist in your inventory anymore. You cant just trade them in. When you want to equip one of these items, they go straight into you equipment slot from the armor. It is impossible to put them into your inventory or bank.

They can send tokens to people like they did for twilight and sunrise owners.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

They can send tokens to people like they did for twilight and sunrise owners.

They flat-out told us they don't want any workarounds in the form of slumbering trinkets in the armory, they'd rather do things right, even if that takes a while.

Personally I prefer this approach even if that means I won't be using my legendary trinkets for a while yet, since it will keep things clean and not muddle up what is there even more (or "create more technical debt", as the techs say).

We'll get the trinkets without effect, we just have to be patient a little longer. And yes, I do have the trinkets in my armory, and I'm among those who aren't using them (yet) due to the effects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 10:43 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

I'm looking forward on this. I want to fully complete my armory BUT I don't like the PVE trinket effects, so I'm delay building them as the time passes. I really hope once they are done with the expansion they start working again on this.

I think NOBODY likes them. Who had the brilliant idea to make those effects like that? I mean, the first one was bad enough, but they went and added 2 more floating spheres....

• Like 1

Just give players 

• Individual: Checkboxes for the trinkets similar to helm, shoulders, gloves and weapons in the Equipment panel.
    For God sake visuals on Legendary trinkets is ridiculous and being copied across account on each character is just stupid and ugly! I can't stand looking at floating balls around my screen! What is the point to make such a useful item and then punish players with so insane flashy visuals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, OverRuler.9574 said:

Just give players 

• Individual: Checkboxes for the trinkets similar to helm, shoulders, gloves and weapons in the Equipment panel.
    For God sake visuals on Legendary trinkets is ridiculous and being copied across account on each character is just stupid and ugly! I can't stand looking at floating balls around my screen! What is the point to make such a useful item and then punish players with so insane flashy visuals. 

Fully agree. I just finished making Aurora... and now that I have it on one of my characters, I am thinking I wont put it on anyone else unless I need to change stats or have a new build. I REALLY do not like the visual clutter its causing. I panic enough in unfamiliar events not to have added stress of ominous floating balls.

You summed it up right, OverRuler. It feels like I am being punished. Other legendries I can skin if I don't want them on the toon. Trinkets, I am stuck with. 

And MAYBE, that is the options. Give the trinkets the ability to be skinned. Not that anyone would ever see it, but that way, the engine process the trinket visually as what ever you skinned it to.

• Like 2

Well i want more balls. I have two confluxes and want to see it. 

Thumbs up to the check boxes, if i can get my ball fix.

I also agree about weapon effects. Some metas are just a white screen and a lot of flashing.

Edited by Dami.5046
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 1:12 PM, Rasimir.6239 said:

We don't have a tech in game yet that is able to do that, so you'd need new tech for it, including quality assurance, ui artists (so the players understand why they can't use both), database space (two different spots for vision in the armory instead of one), and probably a lot more.

Why spend those resources on a temporary fix if you can just wait and use it on a real fix down the line?

Sorry for the necro but....necro: WHY would they even create those WITHOUT being able to turn them off. Did they really think people wanted to see a bunch of balls blocking their view? Potentially 50+ to hundreds? - I mean think of it. Also not all players like that look; I cannot stand it in fact.

Edited by Islyn.8019
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Islyn.8019 said:

Sorry for the necro but....necro: WHY would they even create those WITHOUT being able to turn them off. Did they really think people wanted to see a bunch of balls blocking their view? Potentially 50+ to hundreds? - I mean think of it. Also not all players like that look; I cannot stand it in fact.

Do you not realise this thread is months old? You can turn them off already.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1