The only way to learn pvp in this toxic game

DMO.4158

Is to turn off all sources of chat and just go. Pretend everyones an NPC.

Who cares about the meta and everyone's REEEEEEEEEEEE? Nothing about any of it is encouraging or helpful for new players.

I'll figure out my own way to learn since Anet refuses to provide any kind of balanced learning environment. You're just tossed to the wolves and hope matchmaking doesn't RNG you.

If you're trying to REEEEEEEEEEEEE me in chat. I can't hear you. You're just an NPC. A super unhelpful NPC.

Every entitled, toxic brat that's ever had anything clever to say in chat is part of the reason many wont pvp. Give yourselves a pat on the back.Both the gate keeping veterans and the developer that caters to them.

Congrats for chasing off another customer.

Literally every competitive game has an at least somewhat toxic portion of its playerbase.

There are plenty of youtube videos that will give you the basics of rotation and others that give in-depth build guides.

You also need to be at least rank20 to queue into ranked, and even then, if you aren't good, you'll get other low-ranked players.

If none of that is good enough, find a guild with players that will teach you how to play the game.

The 'Block' function exists. If that still isn't good enough, you can toggle 'Offline' on your Contacts & LFG tab

My chat is always silent because there are only bots in top silver-low gold in fact when i have a toxic flamer in team raging at me or at the bots im quite happy i feel im not alone anymore. Now as far as the learning goes i think the only way to learn in this insta kill fiesta is to go full tanky scrapper rune, anti condi skills and so on regardless of what class you play. If you manage to combine all tankyness available in this game you might survive more than 3 seconds and learn a few things more comparing to being insta killed.

@georgessj.4198 said:i think the only way to learn in this insta kill fiesta is to go full tanky scrapper rune, anti condi skills and so on regardless of what class you play. If you manage to combine all tankyness available in this game you might survive more than 3 seconds and learn a few things more comparing to being insta killed.

or you could get familiar enough with the skill animations by playing each class in pve/wvw/unranked that you dodge the stuff that can kill you. This definitely is NOT a insta-kill fiesta meta

@"Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217" said:

@georgessj.4198 said:i think the only way to learn in this insta kill fiesta is to go full tanky scrapper rune, anti condi skills and so on regardless of what class you play. If you manage to combine all tankyness available in this game you might survive more than 3 seconds and learn a few things more comparing to being insta killed.

or you could get familiar enough with the skill animations by playing each class in pve/wvw/unranked that you dodge the stuff that can kill you. This definitely is
NOT
a insta-kill fiesta meta

Yea it makes perfect sence that i had to learn ALL classes in order to play 1 so i can carry bots from silver to goldNOT a 1 second insta-kill fiesta but a 3 seconds insta kill meta wow big difference.

@georgessj.4198 said:

or you could get familiar enough with the skill animations by playing each class in pve/wvw/unranked that you dodge the stuff that can kill you. This definitely is
NOT
a insta-kill fiesta meta

Yea it makes perfect sence that i had to learn ALL classes in order to play 1 so i can carry bots from silver to gold
NOT
a 1 second insta-kill fiesta but a 3 seconds insta kill meta wow big difference.

Yes, you need to know what your opponents are capable of in order to succeed. Do you think anyone's half decent at starcraft or LoL or literally any other competitive game, when they have no clue what their opponents can do?

NOT
a insta-kill fiesta meta

Yea it makes perfect sence that i had to learn ALL classes in order to play 1 so i can carry bots from silver to gold
NOT
a 1 second insta-kill fiesta but a 3 seconds insta kill meta wow big difference.

Yes, you need to know what your opponents are capable of in order to succeed. Do you think anyone's half decent at starcraft or LoL or literally any other competitive game, when they have no clue what their opponents can do?

that game a few years ago had a triple digits number of characters you came here to tell me that the average lol player knows every single 100+ champs? cringe more

The problem on top of the community is that conquest is a terrible mode for new players. I was going to try and start a Pvp guild a while back dedicated to hosting inhouse games for fun and teaching new players in a 0 pressure environment, but then I learned that no one else close to me wanted to help but still wanted to complain about PUGS not knowing how to play.

@DMO.4158 said:Is to turn off all sources of chat and just go. Pretend everyones an NPC.

Who cares about the meta and everyone's REEEEEEEEEEEE? Nothing about any of it is encouraging or helpful for new players.

I'll figure out my own way to learn since Anet refuses to provide any kind of balanced learning environment. You're just tossed to the wolves and hope matchmaking doesn't RNG you.

If you're trying to REEEEEEEEEEEEE me in chat. I can't hear you. You're just an NPC. A super unhelpful NPC.

Every entitled, toxic brat that's ever had anything clever to say in chat is part of the reason many wont pvp. Give yourselves a pat on the back.Both the gate keeping veterans and the developer that caters to them.

I love when new players are toxic like this, and you cannot even help them. Just before the EU servers went down, I used the time a losing unranked match gave me to explain to a newbie why hugging the trebucet on kylo is a bad idea. He started out defensive and hostile, he ended up saying that he understands my points and won't do it again. Guess what, if he turned chat off and treated everyone as an unhelpful NPC, he'd still be going treb and wondering why his team always loses on that map.Want to learn PvP? Get rid of this attitude first.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

@"DMO.4158" said:Is to turn off all sources of chat and just go. Pretend everyones an NPC.

I love when new players are toxic like this, and you cannot even help them. Just before the EU servers went down, I used the time a losing unranked match gave me to explain to a newbie why hugging the trebucet on kylo is a bad idea. He started out defensive and hostile, he ended up saying that he understands my points and won't do it again. Guess what, if he turned chat off and treated everyone as an unhelpful NPC, he'd still be going treb and wondering why his team always loses on that map.Want to learn PvP? Get rid of this attitude first.

-Toxicity... the learning experience for newcomers-

bqSzX9R.jpg

-newcomers are the product of Toxicity-

-They are not to be blamed-

IMO the main problem is that pvp is so much different from pve in this game. every player starts in pve - at least until lvl 2 you are stuck in a pve instance (though lowlvl pve is a lot more bursty than highlvl pve). then if you go to pvp the difference is extreme, suddenly you die in an instant, a whole lot of your skillset is different and opponents heal, dodge and use other evades. in short you play an entirely different game.

anecdotally i can take myself, usually a friend of pvp but definitely not in this game:i am a long-time pve player now and i am usually a survivalist in this game. i took the legendary bandit executioner almost down all alone while trapped in his bubble together with a thief i rezzed several times midfight (he did virtually no dmg because of being downed or dead 99% of the time). then i went to pvp and couldn't even survive the unskilled engagement of any other first-time pvp player.

i would wish there was some side story leading players towards pvp, explaining stuff, offering pvp NPCs and guiding pve players towards this different game.

on pve you got opponents with massive amounts of health that attack every 3 seconds if they're eager. stuns usually can be sit through as you won't get more than 1 hit and unless you're full glasscannon against a boss this one hit doesn't matter. blindness doesn't help you as well as other means of damage reduction as all the high dmg opponents can't be blinded anyways. so you basically learn to ignore all the useful stuff for pvp, you get conditioned to play bad unless you take on champions 1v1 and even then it's only a several minute fight of the same things over and over. the bee queen in SAB needs more counterplay than 90% of the pve bosses. world bosses are even more of a hack'n'slay and everyone here knows how many people die because they run into the mega-telegraphed attacks of the mordrem leeching thresher, refusing to move out of range even if they have only 1% of life left.all of that concludes to one thing: playing guild wars 2 is probably the worst training for guild wars 2 pvp you could imagine. yes you might learn your abilities but you won't learn how to use them. not to mention it differs in pvp anyways.

apart from that, guild wars 2 pvp is probably the most newcomer-unfriendly pvp i've ever met. everything is so fast that you can't learn anything during a fight. breaking it down during a game is impossible, watching it leads to nothing other than a "wow".

other games were mentioned here, but in most other games i clearly see what went wrong. i may not have a clue how to fix it but i have a clue where my problems are. here in this game i just end up confused how my tank died in an instant while that glasscannon survived despite me using all my evades and fighting back. for any newcomer this pvp is chaotic.

@TeqkOneStylez.8047 said:The problem on top of the community is that conquest is a terrible mode for new players. I was going to try and start a Pvp guild a while back dedicated to hosting inhouse games for fun and teaching new players in a 0 pressure environment, but then I learned that no one else close to me wanted to help but still wanted to complain about PUGS not knowing how to play.

I feel ya, dueling gulds and 1v1 servers used to be extremely prevalent in 2014-2017. It was a good resource to help learn class mechanics and fine tune builds. Now I rarely see a server with more than 5 ppl in it.

@"WorldofBay.8160" said:IMO the main problem is that pvp is so much different from pve in this game. every player starts in pve - at least until lvl 2 you are stuck in a pve instance (though lowlvl pve is a lot more bursty than highlvl pve). then if you go to pvp the difference is extreme, suddenly you die in an instant, a whole lot of your skillset is different and opponents heal, dodge and use other evades. in short you play an entirely different game.

anecdotally i can take myself, usually a friend of pvp but definitely not in this game:i am a long-time pve player now and i am usually a survivalist in this game. i took the legendary bandit executioner almost down all alone while trapped in his bubble together with a thief i rezzed several times midfight (he did virtually no dmg because of being downed or dead 99% of the time). then i went to pvp and couldn't even survive the unskilled engagement of any other first-time pvp player.

i would wish there was some side story leading players towards pvp, explaining stuff, offering pvp NPCs and guiding pve players towards this different game.

on pve you got opponents with massive amounts of health that attack every 3 seconds if they're eager. stuns usually can be sit through as you won't get more than 1 hit and unless you're full glasscannon against a boss this one hit doesn't matter. blindness doesn't help you as well as other means of damage reduction as all the high dmg opponents can't be blinded anyways. so you basically learn to ignore all the useful stuff for pvp, you get conditioned to play bad unless you take on champions 1v1 and even then it's only a several minute fight of the same things over and over. the bee queen in SAB needs more counterplay than 90% of the pve bosses. world bosses are even more of a hack'n'slay and everyone here knows how many people die because they run into the mega-telegraphed attacks of the mordrem leeching thresher, refusing to move out of range even if they have only 1% of life left.all of that concludes to one thing: playing guild wars 2 is probably the worst training for guild wars 2 pvp you could imagine. yes you might learn your abilities but you won't learn how to use them. not to mention it differs in pvp anyways.

apart from that, guild wars 2 pvp is probably the most newcomer-unfriendly pvp i've ever met. everything is so fast that you can't learn anything during a fight. breaking it down during a game is impossible, watching it leads to nothing other than a "wow".

other games were mentioned here, but in most other games i clearly see what went wrong. i may not have a clue how to fix it but i have a clue where my problems are. here in this game i just end up confused how my tank died in an instant while that glasscannon survived despite me using all my evades and fighting back. for any newcomer this pvp is chaotic.

+10

very well delivered

OP, sorry to see you go...although I don't blame ya...

Gatekeepers are rampant in games these days. You can't give any valid criticism of games without gatekeepers and forum warriors going for your throat. gw2 is no exception. You try to seriously analyze and criticize the matchmaking system in this game, the forum warriors will tell you "learn 2 play" or "you 'deserve' your rank". I will say as a veteran, I've been guilty of being toxic myself at times, although it is a habit I'm trying to break. I hear ya on the so-called "clever" chat posts trying to be cute. Meanwhile, I'm just shaking my head at their lame attempts at trying to be witty...

However, the majority of the toxicity comes from ranked. I simultaneously blame both the matchmaking system and the community for the state of pvp. You have people willingly and rampantly throwing matches, afking, farming for loot and being absolute immature brats during games. I'm sick of it. I am in my 30s, I have NO patience for any of this garbage.

I mostly keep my mouth shut in games and draw on the pvp minimap for coordination, but when I post on chat I try to get people to get back into the game so we don't lose points on every tick.

OP, I wish you luck

@georgessj.4198 said:My chat is always silent because there are only bots in top silver-low gold in fact when i have a toxic flamer in team raging at me or at the bots im quite happy i feel im not alone anymore. Now as far as the learning goes i think the only way to learn in this insta kill fiesta is to go full tanky scrapper rune, anti condi skills and so on regardless of what class you play. If you manage to combine all tankyness available in this game you might survive more than 3 seconds and learn a few things more comparing to being insta killed.

@"WorldofBay.8160" said:IMO the main problem is that pvp is so much different from pve in this game. every player starts in pve - at least until lvl 2 you are stuck in a pve instance (though lowlvl pve is a lot more bursty than highlvl pve). then if you go to pvp the difference is extreme, suddenly you die in an instant, a whole lot of your skillset is different and opponents heal, dodge and use other evades. in short you play an entirely different game.

I don't think there's a good way to prepare players for PvP without actually having them fight other players. Toward that end, the free-for-all arena, PvP browser, WvW, and guild hall arenas give a variety of options for players to get some practice fighting other players without queuing up for a PvP match.

look man, there are no tutorials in gw2. not for pve, not for pvp, nothing. and there probably never will be.change your mindset and start learning.do your research. (metabattle, twitch, youtube)learn your class. what is your class capable of? damage, cc, conditions, boons, melee/rangelearn your skills. cooldowns, cast time/instant, stunbreak, cleanse, aoerecognize animations. avoid big damage.you cant dodge everything = learn to use what you have. block, blind, invulnlearn to use fields for your advantage.learn to rotate. have some map awareness.do your job. (sup, bunker, roamer, +1)communicate with your team. (focus? strat?)learn to kite. every map has obstacles or mini jp. (yes JP!!!)play matches. practice as much as possible.ragequit gw2.

@georgessj.4198 said:

NOT
a insta-kill fiesta meta

NOT

that game a few years ago had a triple digits number of characters you came here to tell me that the average lol player knows every single 100+ champs? cringe more

Hi, average league player here, low rank, I know every single champ in the game at least on a basic level. What the guy said is right, knowing what the other classes can and can't do at least on a fundamental level is almost essential.

The problem is that pvp is competitive gamemode and gw2 attracts all the casual players that do not want to learn every skill on every class or atleast the ones that they are going to face. They go in just to see a new type of gamemode but get destroyed by the competitive nature of gamemode and expectations of teammates that come with it. Sure, anet does not give tutorials so it isnt as easy to get into pvp but the core of the problem is always the mindset of new player. Asking other players to understand new players and not grief them etc does not work because of the nature of gamemode. Its fine if teammates afk'ed if new player fucks up the game. It is within the line of "toxicity" you expect in online pvp mode. But if they verbally harass new player or anything further than that and this starts to become a trend then its a problem. Btw i dont see that happening in gw2 so i think this is a non-issue.