Is Arena Net to good to it's customers?

becouse there is no subfee, their main income is gemstore. and than we go into false loop: u buy gems, so they give u more things to spend it on, and it happens that main gw2 content is gemstore skins. id prefer to pay subfee in gw2, and have more instanced content

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine the way the game works. there is some stuff you can buy on gem store, but it takes quite a long time till you make profit from it. so there is no clear p2w. although you could see the elite specs as p2w, because you need the expansion to have a chance in pvp when a expansion hits. But latley they also nerfed some of the op elite specs to give more room for core specs. think it is a good approach. in gw1 it was similiar. but there you also had builds from prophecies strong enough to rival nf builds. and since eotn and celestials skills are bound to pve only there aren't really overperforming skills in pvp.

they could let think be as they are imo. it isn't difficult to log-in for a daily even if you don't have enough time to do a lot of content. 3g a day is still 90g per month and gold to gems gets easier everytime players get more options to farm gold.

You talk about how people just spend gold to buy gems. Someone has to buy the gold with gems to make that work. Someone still paid for that transaction to happen.

I have had them refuse to refund something, when they changed how it functioned days after my purchase. It still bothers me to this day. I still support the game, but that situation combined with the false advertising Charr chair incident really changed my spending GW2 spending habits.

Should I purchase ___?What if they change how it works?What if it does not work as expected?Will I use this (something I never asked before the incident, I just bought things blindly)?

From my own experience, I do not believe they are ~~to ~~ good to the customer.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:It employs lootboxes, no it is just as evil as other game companies.

At least here the loot boxes only contain cosmetics and convinience items, most of which (except a few of the cosmetics) are available in other ways if you want them. I agree it's not ideal and I'd prefer no loot boxes, but I've never bought black lion keys and never had problems as a result. In a lot of games with loot boxes trying to avoid them would mean a lot of time farming to compensate or going without a lot of good equipment.

No, not really. They're just sticking to a business model that works, simple as that.I wouldn't call them good to begin with tbh. In fact, their occassional disregard towards customers and refusal to admit mistakes costs them the chance to be perceived as good (or earn money) at times.

Gotta consider as well the population threshold needed for a healthy active trade market and event health. It takes real planning and calculation on Anet's part to control inflation and maintain mutual market dependence among players, and from my limited pov as a layperson in game with no background in economics, their team has done a great job.

It's a healthy symbiosis between ppl who use cash, ppl who don't, & Anet.

Is arenanet support good to all customers? Yes.

Is arenanet development good to all customers? No.

Arenanet creates content for people who play open world and story. But for wvwers, raiders, fractal players they haven’t given anything new for quite a while. Which still has to be talked about. Arenanets goal in trying to get everyone to raid through strikes is a miss. The NA raid LFG is still quite empty and hasn’t change when strikes have been out for months. Arenanet has a misconception of (why) people do not raid. And that’s because a lot of players in gw2 don’t want to (try) to play better. Most of gw2 players blame the experience raiders for saying 30 kp on an LFG. But 30 kp isn’t a lot of kp to be hating on the commander. 30 kp is just a few kills. And not only that, new raiders need to understand that that group is meant for experienced raiders not new raiders. There is a discord full of players that do trainings every hour so there is no excuse to say they can’t or don’t have time to raid. Get in discord and join the training till you get enough kills to pug it. How hard is that when every run is like an hour away?

I think arenanet just needs to clarify and talk to the new players or vets how to properly raid because people avoid raiding like it’s Aids. When raids aren’t difficult at all. Arenanet has a misconception about the end game pve community and the open world players have a huge misconception about the high end pve community. All they have to do is ask and take action to fix the problem.

@"blambidy.3216" said:Is arenanet support good to all customers? Yes.

Is arenanet development good to all customers? No.

Arenanet creates content for people who play open world and story. But for wvwers, raiders, fractal players they haven’t given anything new for quite a while. Which still has to be talked about. Arenanets goal in trying to get everyone to raid through strikes is a miss. The NA raid LFG is still quite empty and hasn’t change when strikes have been out for months. Arenanet has a misconception of (why) people do not raid. And that’s because a lot of players in gw2 don’t want to (try) to play better. Most of gw2 players blame the experience raiders for saying 30 kp on an LFG. But 30 kp isn’t a lot of kp to be hating on the commander. 30 kp is just a few kills. And not only that, new raiders need to understand that that group is meant for experienced raiders not new raiders. There is a discord full of players that do trainings every hour so there is no excuse to say they can’t or don’t have time to raid. Get in discord and join the training till you get enough kills to pug it. How hard is that when every run is like an hour away?

I think arenanet just needs to clarify and talk to the new players or vets how to properly raid because people avoid raiding like it’s Aids. When raids aren’t difficult at all. Arenanet has a misconception about the end game pve community and the open world players have a huge misconception about the high end pve community. All they have to do is ask and take action to fix the problem.

"Gw2 players don't want to play better", not the first time I've heard that, but most likely not the reason raids aren't popular.Maybe it's a much simpler reason: Instanced content is just not as popular/fun as you think for ~~most ~~ many people.

Open World players just play the endgame content they enjoy, and that's the Open World.

Rest assured, Anet has accounted for the concept of Gold to Gems in their business model, otherwise the concept would not exist today as it did at the time of it's release. There will always be spenders, there will always be those who don't desire the heavy gold sink in order to get free gems. Their conversion prices appear very reasonable. They, could have opted to make their exchange rate nigh-sadistically low in value. In fact, I would posit to say Guild Wars 2 is the only game that I have seen that has an exchange system like this that isnt nigh-sadistic with it's prices. I don't think they treat us too well, nor do they treat us poorly. Their system was built with respect for their consumer while being able to not dramatically effect their money making ability.

Harmonious.

@blambidy.3216 said:

Arenanet has a misconception of (why) people do not raid. And that’s because a lot of players in gw2 don’t want to (try) to play better.Of course, you have the data to back up this claim? Maybe, just maybe, players in GW2 aren't as interested in raid content as Anet had believed when raids were released? That is just as plausible of a reason.

I think arenanet just needs to clarify and talk to the new players or vets how to properly raid because people avoid raiding like it’s Aids. When raids aren’t difficult at all.See comment above. Difficulty aside, it could very well be that raids appeal to a very small subset of the player base.

Arenanet has a misconception about the end game pve community and the open world players have a huge misconception about the high end pve community.What misconceptions do you believe Anet has and what misconceptions do you believe that the OW players have regarding the high end PvE community?

@Deeyra.1476 said:I would rather pay monthly subscribtion than one time purchase for an mmo. It brings funds to the developers and they dont have to rely on the store items, which would translate into more content and more engaged community.

Nope. No thank you. Please see the many other threads about subscriptions for the reasons why many do not support that model for GW2. It will not translate into more content and certainly not a more engaged community.

Besides, you can pay a monthly subscription RIGHT NOW!* Buy $20/$40/$100 worth of gems on the first of every month. That will also bring funds to the developers. No need to force a subscription on the rest of us.

*But I'm guessing that you won't. Haven't heard yet of anyone on the forums calling for a sub and then don't just pay monthly on their own.

people thinking that a game will noticeably improve just by producing more money are a big facepalm. the publisher will just suck in the money and use it to publich yet another game. that's basic business. you don't waste money for a cashcow that's working. you do just enough to keep it working which is actually less than what happens now. i won't ever get why people want to have to pay for stuff they already bought. i get why people want to pay but not why they want to be forced to do so.

also the gem price rose every year in august which happens soon*, so expect a rise in the conversion.

*according to last year august started only 30 days after june ended and july began

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:It employs lootboxes, no it is just as evil as other game companies.

At least here the loot boxes only contain cosmetics and convinience items, most of which (except a few of the cosmetics) are available in other ways if you want them. I agree it's not ideal and I'd prefer no loot boxes, but I've never bought black lion keys and never had problems as a result. In a lot of games with loot boxes trying to avoid them would mean a lot of time farming to compensate or going without a lot of good equipment.

not entirely true since those loot boxes also contain glyphs which are a real enhancement beyond convenience. but you can buy them from people who opened loot boxes ...

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Deeyra.1476 said:I would rather pay monthly subscribtion than one time purchase for an mmo. It brings funds to the developers and they dont have to rely on the store items, which would translate into more content and more engaged community.

Nope. No thank you. Please see the many other threads about subscriptions for the reasons why many do not support that model for GW2. It will not translate into more content and certainly not a more engaged community.

Besides, you can pay a monthly subscription RIGHT NOW!* Buy $20/$40/$100 worth of gems on the first of every month. That will also bring funds to the developers. No need to force a subscription on the rest of us.

*But I'm guessing that you won't. Haven't heard yet of anyone on the forums calling for a sub and then don't just pay monthly on their own.

So when you buy gems the devs are like ''oh great, now we can finally develop the raid etc that we wanted to do''. Or is it like ''oh great they love the skin, time to make some more for the gemstore!''. Im sorry, but if you enjoy sitting all day in lions arch showing off the skins you bought with money, thats fine. But some people like to do hard content or grind for piece of gear that gives them a sense of accomplishment.Monthly subscribtion or not, use the funds right. 1 gemstore skin/month and 3 days of content with a new episode every 6 months isnt that fun

@Deeyra.1476 said:

So when you buy gems the devs are like ''oh great, now we can finally develop the raid etc that we wanted to do''. Or is it like ''oh great they love the skin, time to make some more for the gemstore!''. Im sorry, but if you enjoy sitting all day in lions arch showing off the skins you bought with money, thats fine. But some people like to do hard content or grind for piece of gear that gives them a sense of accomplishment.Monthly subscribtion or not, use the funds right. 1 gemstore skin/month and 3 days of content with a new episode every 6 months isnt that fun

I'd rather have "3 days of content with a new episode every 6 months", than a 1 hour raid every year that is played by only a small part of the community.I don't really enjoy only playing a game for 1 hour a week where I have to carry others so they can gain their sense of accomplishment, but I guess some people enjoy that.Use the funds right, for the people actually playing the game and not the 1 day/week tourists.(arguing in hyperbole, the same as you, is always fun).

Also, Monthly subs = more content + more engaged community is not true. Cash shops have shown time and time again to be better for income. And most Sub MMOs had to go F2P in the end, because those "engaged communities" weren't engaged enough. Apart from a few outliers, subs haven't worked out for MMORPGs. Most had to close down in the end, because they could never recover from their sub phase.

For those who want to buy the game and that's it; GW2 has it. If you want to pay money every month, you can do that.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

For those who want to buy the game and that's it; GW2 has it. If you want to pay money every month, you can do that.

this, if you are so willing to make the game a sub2play then start by yourself buying gems every month lol, maybe arena notices, but I think they wont.

@Deeyra.1476 said:

None of us have any idea how the revenue from the gem store is used. You make an assumption that gem store purchases only go for gem store content. Anet will continue to use all of their revenue in a manner that brings more profit to them and their shareholders. If their data shows that gem store items bring in the most, then that is what they will probably focus their efforts on.None of us can demand that Anet "use the funds right". You have no guarantee that any money that Anet receives, subscription or otherwise, will go toward content that you prefer. And even if it did, then you would have players complaining that they want more skins and less hard, grindy content.

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

not entirely true since those loot boxes also contain glyphs which are a real enhancement beyond convenience. but you can buy them from people who opened loot boxes ...

That's what I meant about them being available in other ways. I know it doesn't completely avoid the system, because someone has to get them from a black lion chest, but it mean you personally don't have to buy keys to get them. Also the bonuses from glyphs are still pretty minor compared to what other games put in loot boxes. In some games that literally the main (or only) way to get top tier equipment, new characters (in e.g. fighting games) and other things you actually need to play or to progress.

It's definitely true that if someone with glyphs and someone without gathered all the same nodes the person with the glyphs would definitely do better. But it won't ever get to the point where you're struggling to complete stuff (even crafting) and it's because you don't have glyphs.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Arenanet has a misconception of (why) people do not raid. And that’s because a lot of players in gw2 don’t want to (try) to play better.Of course, you have the data to back up this claim? Maybe, just maybe, players in GW2 aren't as interested in raid content as Anet had believed when raids were released? That is just as plausible of a reason.

I think arenanet just needs to clarify and talk to the new players or vets how to properly raid because people avoid raiding like it’s Aids. When raids aren’t difficult at all.See comment above. Difficulty aside, it could very well be that raids appeal to a very small subset of the player base.

Arenanet has a misconception about the end game pve community and the open world players have a huge misconception about the high end pve community.What misconceptions do you believe Anet has and what misconceptions do you believe that the OW players have regarding the high end PvE community?

There is data in reddit about a year ago showing how many have cleared w1-3 during the time of the faster releases vs 4-7 during the time when arenanet slowed the release dates. It’s showed 20k people from gw2 eff would kill the raids between w1-3 then later on 10k killing to the later wings.

To say that maybe gw2 players don’t want to play is a bad opinion. There have always been new players trying to get into the lfg and blaming the so called “elitists” to be able to raid with those groups to get the clears. There are people saying they don’t have time and blame it on the so called “taking a long time to find a group” so those people don’t try at all.

The fact of the matter is if there were more wings there would be more trainings which would = more new people trying to raid. If instead of wasting time and resources on strikes rather than making an easy mode to each wing and have more skins + easy mode raid currency + raid dailies there would definitely be more players to raid. There are many people too afraid to even touch it all because the name “raid”

What I meant about a misconception is arenanet thinking strikes will fix the empty raid players base in gw2. Strikes will not fix it and still has not since the first strike that’s been out for 9 months. There has been no increase in the raiding community. Strikes will be another game mode that will be left alone. Why? Because they are nothing like a raid. They are too easy and nothing In a strike punishes you to follow a mechanic. Not only that but people who do strikes still will never step foot in a raid. And the rewards are nothing to look forward to.

Monthly subscriptions are terrible. If developers really want to see which part of their community and playerbase wants to pay the more money, the choice is to add such content as paid DLC. Add a Raid as DLC and see how much money you make. It's the ONLY way to be ABSOLUTELY SURE your money is going to the exact content you want. There is no guarantee when you pay a subscription that the money will go to the content you like, there is no guarantee that when you buy gem store items the money will go to content you like either. The only way to be sure is to sell parts of the game as DLC, that way both players and developers know what's selling, know what's paying the bills, and know what their community wants. But adding content as DLC is also a sure way of killing the game outright, such a change in monetization this late in the game's lifetime won't be received very well by anyone. OR maybe it will, who knows.

@"blambidy.3216" said:There is data in reddit about a year ago showing how many have cleared w1-3 during the time of the faster releases vs 4-7 during the time when arenanet slowed the release dates. It’s showed 20k people from gw2 eff would kill the raids between w1-3 then later on 10k killing to the later wings.

Well if we check the current numbers they tell a similar story. Heart of Thorns Raids were massively more successful. I'm not sure why you put Wing 4 with the "slow" ones though.Vale Guardian: 76,964Slothasor: 48,257Escort: 68,122Cairn: 62,222Soulless Horror: 26,645Conjured Amalgamate: 24,974Cardinal Adina: 18,782