Who wants really CROSSBOW weapon system in game Maybe with New class !!!

I think maybe an account-wide crossbow novelty item (for costume brawls!) or a crossbow consumable like the plank (and related items) might be the way to go. There are a lot of weapons (like whips) I'd really enjoy seeing added, but if we can get it faster in another way, so be it.

Less dev work than crafting a new class, and easy to add to a renown vendor or release as a fun gem store item.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:One of the skins introduced in the later living stories is literally a crossbow (complete with new sound). I believe it's a rifle skin? Ah cant remember.

It absolutely is. It doesn't look like one, but it function like one, including the sound of a bolt, as opposed to a propelled bullet.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ironsight_Bolt_Thrower

I look forward seeing more "new weapons" added in like this, as it seems very unlikely we'll get a new weapon category. This is still pretty good.

New weapon types would be cool. Though, unlikely to happen given that to make them worthwhile, you'd need several classes to get the weapon and ANet would need to make tons of them to fill out the loot pools.

So it's much more likely that we simply get weapon skins or at best, an E-Spec mechanic that uses a crossbow (Similar to Engie's Holosmith using the Holoforge weapons)

As far as Crossbow goes as a new weapon type? Personally, it doesn't excite me. But then again, I prefer Bows and Rifles over Crossbows.

There's plenty of other new weapon types I'd love to see though... Greataxes (2h Axe), fist weapons (Claws, brass knuckles etc), Chakram etc...

In a game where Hammers can be ranged weapons, tha hassle of implementing a new weapon type can can be overcome with skins and animations. So instead of having a crossbow as a new weapon, requiring a lot of work for little outcome, a crossbow-skin for pistols or shortbows would be better.

The system was never designed to have literal "weapon types". It was meant for there to be a selection of core weapons upon which skins are applied to change what they actually are; like how Staves can become Spears via skinning.

This way was much better for balance, and its unlikely to ever change.

@"Lumikki.1725" said:I would like new weapons, example ninja weapons. But not just for new character, but also old ones. Some of then have "bad" visual use of weapons for class, Example Mesmer using greatsword as range weapon. I mean weapon should be what it's ment to be.This is literally why alot people even make a Mesmer. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't.

@Naxos.2503 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:One of the skins introduced in the later living stories is literally a crossbow (complete with new sound). I believe it's a rifle skin? Ah cant remember.

It absolutely is. It doesn't look like one, but it function like one, including the sound of a bolt, as opposed to a propelled bullet.

I look forward seeing more "new weapons" added in like this, as it seems very unlikely we'll get a new weapon category. This is still pretty good.

Interesting that the bow part seems to be attached vertically rather than horizontally. I wonder if that's a technical limitation, or done to avoid some clipping issues.

Cool skin anyway. It's a shame that rifle is such a frustratingly underpowered weapon. (Actually maybe it isn't anymore - I haven't tried using one for... years probably.)

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:Interesting that the bow part seems to be attached vertically rather than horizontally. I wonder if that's a technical limitation, or done to avoid some clipping issues.Just simplicity, they could have easily made the bow fold out horizontally. But that would go into gemstore quality weapon (similar to the rifle where the barrel and stock retracts so it's smaller on your back) which is a nono.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Mechanically all you have is just another 2h ranged weapon. All it would add are skins. Great for Fashion Wars but no impact on gameplay.

Well it could be a 1 hand crossbow.Considering the range of pistols, I will assume that a small 1h crossbow projectile would just be a dagger attached to a spring so you can shoot people in melee range.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Just simplicity, they could have easily made the bow fold out horizontally. But that would go into gemstore quality weapon (similar to the rifle where the barrel and stock retracts so it's smaller on your back) which is a nono.

Well... Technically, all the Whispers weapons fold when stowed...

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:Cool skin anyway. It's a shame that rifle is such a frustratingly underpowered weapon. (Actually maybe it isn't anymore - I haven't tried using one for... years probably.)

Rifle's not that bad.

It's good for Holosmith (I mean, they only have 3 weapons to choose from to be fair...), it's also strong for Deadeye.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Mechanically all you have is just another 2h ranged weapon. All it would add are skins. Great for Fashion Wars but no impact on gameplay.

Currently... Yes.

But theoretically, it could allow for something like a class being able to have Longbow, Shortbow, Rifle and Crossbow as 4 different 2h ranged weapon sets (Not including fancy stuff like 1200 range Hammers/Greatswords/Staffs). Though, this would require the current weapons to be more readily available (Since at best we have Warrior with Longbow + Rifle but no Shortbow and Ranger with Longbow + Shortbow but no Rifle)

Or if it was designed to be a 1h weapon it can allow for Pistol and Crossbow to be used by a class.

Which is one of the aspects of introducing new weapon types that are similar in function to already existing weapon types rather than simply skins. For example, I'd love to see Greataxes, which could allow for Warrior and Guardian to have Hammer, Greatsword and Greataxe as weapon options even if theoretically you could just slap on an Axe skin to a Hammer and Greatsword and call it a day.

@Linken.6345 said:

Well it could be a 1 hand crossbow.

So we move on to a substitute pistol.

@Taril.8619 said:

Currently... Yes.

But theoretically, it could allow for something like a class being able to have Longbow, Shortbow, Rifle and Crossbow as 4 different 2h ranged weapon sets (Not including fancy stuff like 1200 range Hammers/Greatswords/Staffs). Though, this would require the current weapons to be more readily available (Since at best we have Warrior with Longbow + Rifle but no Shortbow and Ranger with Longbow + Shortbow but no Rifle)

Or if it was designed to be a 1h weapon it can allow for Pistol and Crossbow to be used by a class.

Which is one of the aspects of introducing new weapon types that are similar in function to already existing weapon types rather than simply skins. For example, I'd love to see Greataxes, which could allow for Warrior and Guardian to have Hammer, Greatsword and Greataxe as weapon options even if theoretically you could just slap on an Axe skin to a Hammer and Greatsword and call it a day.

I am sure that made sense to you but I am not sure what any of that had to do with with I said.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:I am sure that made sense to you but I am not sure what any of that had to do with with I said.

What about it is confusing?

You say "It'd just be another 2h ranged weapon, all it would add is skins"

Then I point out it can provide an additional set of weapon skills to a class that already has other 2h ranged weapons available. I.e. Gameplay beyond skins.

@Taril.8619 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:I am sure that made sense to you but I am not sure what any of that had to do with with I said.

Then I point out it can provide an additional set of weapon skills to a class that already has other 2h ranged weapons available. I.e. Gameplay beyond skins.

If all you're adding is redundancy, then what have you added?

@Taril.8619 said:

That one sentence would have been much better.

Unfortunately that doesn't really resolve the issue. What gameplay purposes would yet another 2h ranged weapon serve, especially for classes that already has multiple 2h ranged weapons? It should be covering something missing from the class's kit. It also assumes that every class should be able to do everything.