We need more emotes!

Samaelle.9301

@Svarty.8019 said:Primos Relay> @sorudo.9054 said:

in case you wonder, this is a list of emotes GW1 has, the chat channel reconizes them but they do nothing.
it's time Anet uses the inactives one.

What?! They already have the necessary assets from the previous game?!
/facepalm

[Edit] Here is another recent thread on the same topic:

IIRC GW2 was built on top of GW1's game engine. What they might have is humanoid animations since humans were the only playable characters in GW1. Charr and asura most likely need tweaking regarding them. Let's not take for granted that it would be easy to bring old GW1 emotes back even for humans. Most likely there's not much additional GW2 emote content ready at this moment and some emotes being disabled is not really indicative of anything.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am up for new emotes but through an expensive gemstore bundle.Since they are meaningless ( we need content, not emotes ), every single extra they add to the game should be supported by players who request it.

There are probably different teams which work for gw2, but thinking that some are working on things like emotes while we have content, balance and QoL ( real one, not emotes ) hurts my feelings.

@Ves.8236 said:Yes! More emotes would be awesome. We need /kiss! How can we use Wedding Outfit if we can't share love? :3

Haha so true! =)

@Shirlias.8104 said:I am up for new emotes but through an expensive gemstore bundle.Since they are meaningless ( we need content, not emotes ), every single extra they add to the game should be supported by players who request it.

There are probably different teams which work for gw2, but thinking that some are working on things like emotes while we have content, balance and QoL ( real one, not emotes ) hurts my feelings.

I would gladly pay for them if there was no other option (and if they're worth it). Though (yes of course we need new extensions, living story, events, balancing and all that stuff ) "content" is by definition a pretty wide term and can be anything in the game, so what is "needed" and the stuff people like is pretty personal, and even if it's not the most important thing going on, it still deserves to be considered, because it is part of the immersion which is really important to some of us. There are many vanity items such as pets, skins, etc that have no utility (and most of them don't need to be paid for with real money), so I don't see why this would not be as important as all the useless but very cool aesthetic stuff. Why not both? :)

Emotes that interact with the environment would be cool.Bdo, for example has such, only a few but at least it has.

For example, if you press space with your back facing a wall, you´ll lean against the wall eventually.Or the ability to bind emotes to specific words that you can type in the chat.Example: The emote /laugh is binded to lol, so I can write lol in the chat, my character will laugh and what I wrote appears in the chat.

Yeah, my character has little pink hearts floating over her in combat, why can't we have that for an emote? So cute, when it isn't the effect of an evil spell.

I would also like a /rant or /rage or /tantrum for those times the game is driving us crazy.

And I know that all the races are equal in other ways, but wouldn't it be awesome to have racial emojis? Like maybe Charr could have /roar and silvari could have /bloom and asura could have /geekout or something....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i would love to see more RP stuff in the game, 5 years ago when i jumped from gw1 to gw2 that was the first thing i noticed that was lacking, the game has almost zero RP elements to help the players. Anet should really take some notes from the community and add some RP features for us ^^

Excelsior.

I'd like to pet my Springer once in a while. I do that with the raptor by idling, but I'd like to have control over it.I'd also buy those with gems, since its cosmetics again, and the break-even point could be easily reached within short amount of time and sold in the future.

That's one of the things I miss from FF14 actually, the emotes there were really top notch. aNet CAN animate, I played the firing animations of my Deadeye frame by frame, when he fires an auto attack while kneeling, it looks awesome how he even re-adjustes his trigger finger and gets ready while getting the gun from the idle state in the aiming state. So the technical and personell background is there.

FF14 had a chance of the idle poses, that'd be really one of the best things so far, because in e.g. Rata Sum, people all stand around like choreographed background actors. In Final Fantasy, people lean, sit, crouch (man-cats), when sitting on benches and crates, we Lalafell could sit normally or dangle our feet, and there was even a difference of male and female animations:UNTVtZ2.jpg

Now that you have mentioned that, I really wish there would be more of that, but the chances are very low. I guess, GW2 is less about hanging up and waiting for instances and more for instant action and the focus is not quite on sitting somehwere in a cosy place.

You can see her dangling her feet, also, accidently the emote window is open. It has a scroll bar...and tabs... and many of them could be done while on a mount (chocobo icon) or while sitting (chair icon):

TSGrIjg.jpg

I gotta admit, I miss those. People were hugging, hitting or yelling at each other, you could slap them (!) and all.On the other hand, the Asura cry and dance emotes are great and that our ears are actually showing our mood is what I appreciate, e.g. hanging down -> sad, erected -> excited, pointy -> unsure, ...

I must admit, emotes are pretty skimpy when it comes to offerings. I always thought emotes (and idle animations) would be great things to offer in the gem store (ducks).

I think most of the bigger games have many emotes, no? Even going back to Anarchy Online, which came out around the time fire and the wheel were discovered, had lots of fun emotes. I specifically recall a back flip being one of my favorites. :)

@Arzurag.7506 said:Emotes that interact with the environment would be cool.Bdo, for example has such, only a few but at least it has.

For example, if you press space with your back facing a wall, you´ll lean against the wall eventually.Or the ability to bind emotes to specific words that you can type in the chat.Example: The emote /laugh is binded to lol, so I can write lol in the chat, my character will laugh and what I wrote appears in the chat.

I hated that "lol" made me laugh in Aion and other things I used to say in the chat when just talking with people to the point I was wondering how to turn it off.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:I'd love it if there were /hug @, and /bearhug @ emotes. I'd go round as my Charr bear-hugging other players. They could make it so When you do the emote the other player has to accept the request to hug, or make it so that just pressing any movement key stops the hug and you have to be standing right next to them to initiate it, so people can't use it to teleport you off of ledges/grief.

A over optimistic list of all the other emotes I would like to see:/Eat,/Drink,/High Five @,/Stretch,/Sorry,/Sorry @,/Clap,/Clap @,/Surrender,/Surrender @,/Praise @,/Cuddle (A continuous hug)

In fact, + all of the emotes from GW1 would be awesome.

FYI To Bear Hug means to hug tightly enough to make recipient of the hug unable to move their upper body or arms.

Aww I want a Charr /bearhug!ArenaNet make it happen!!

@Samaelle.9301 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:Do you have a list of the emotes we do have? For all the importance emotes actually have to gameplay, there's still a few I don't know offhand, like how to depict fear.

You can find GW2 emotes here:

And now you can realize how ridiculous it is compared to GW1 x'D :

The list...

I also need my warrior head bang back.

Much dancing.

• 3 weeks later...

@Samaelle.9301 said:

@Rognik.2579 said:Do you have a list of the emotes we do have? For all the importance emotes actually have to gameplay, there's still a few I don't know offhand, like how to depict fear.

You can find GW2 emotes here:

And now you can realize how ridiculous it is compared to GW1 x'D :

You just don't even know. Of all the games I've played, by far the most extensive emotes were provided by City of Heroes. Feast your eyes on this list of emotes:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Emotes

RIP Paragon City...

@Nikal.4921 said:I very much would like /pet (to pet companions & minis), /hug, and most especially /cartwheel (must have for Asura). Just off the top of my head. I am always wanting to do cartwheels when playing my Asuras for some reason. :)

I agree, this game is very lacking in emotes.

I'd throw money at Anet for a /hug emote. I got one Asura who would literally go up to everyone and hug them. :3

Archived