Why were so many ambient creatures removed from the maps?

Bangan.5912

Within the past month there has been a lot of ambient creatures removed from the borderland maps. I would understand if all of them were removed for server performance, but this almost seems deliberate, as they were only removed from certain areas whereas others remain.

Just curious as to the reasoning for some,but not all being removed.

Specific examples:groups of chickens at north camp on Alpinerams from the cliff at northwest camp on Alpinefireflies from southeast camp on Alpinerabbits from southeast camp on Desertvultures from south camp on Desert

There were a lot more than this, but just wanted to give examples. However, The cats and rats are still at north camp, and plenty of other ambients in random locations.

I liked farming trick or treat bags from potions at enemies north camp/befriending enemies, and /threatening chickens everywhere, people complain about spies, and I'm convinced the chickens are spies, glad I haven't been playing, this game gets more dead with every patch.

@Nevaahe.6308 said:Within the past month there has been a lot of ambient creatures removed from the borderland maps. I would understand if all of them were removed for server performance, but this almost seems deliberate, as they were only removed from certain areas whereas others remain.

Just curious as to the reasoning for some,but not all being removed.

Specific examples:groups of chickens at north camp on Alpinerams from the cliff at northwest camp on Alpinefireflies from southeast camp on Alpinerabbits from southeast camp on Desertvultures from south camp on Desert

There were a lot more than this, but just wanted to give examples. However, The cats and rats are still at north camp, and plenty of other ambients in random locations.

I thought it was just me. The chickens were great for getting my life force up.

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:I think one of the WvW devs mentioned it on a previous stream in regards to removing things that add any amount of lag and isn't a necessity. I could be remembering incorrectly tho.

Yea, i was skimming through that article to see if it mentioned ambients, but I didn't see anything specific. To my recollection.

@Justine.6351 said:Havnt played enough to notice. I will take a peak and make sure they are gone this weekend and not just some necro farming them. If they removed some of the white ones I would understand but not yellow mobs.

That's what I thought at first, but multiple people in my guild have said the same. I have checked after several daily resets and even world reset, and they are indeed removed.

@Inoki.6048 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:Were removed to stop certain classes from taking advantage of moving to them to avoid death.

Why remove them, when you can simply make them non-targetable. This way borderlands feel like wastelands with no life in them. Certainly fewer people.

Probably easier in the spaghetti coding to take them out than turning them green.

it is good that they remove kinda stuff. and i disagree with @SweetPotato.7456 here... hitting stuff with siege is just experience. by time u hit more often precisely than you expect. i destroyed six catapults at the other river end @ lowlands keep from barely sight with a treb lately thanks to our absurd outnumbering situation atm. i only had to run close once to see where exactly the last two stand. and that on low graphics :P

i see it as pretty unnecessary to have these NPC animals as hitmarkers.

and i very much hate them keeping me stuck into battle, sometimes just long enough to have enemy gankergroups catch up.

Because some skills like Cloaking or Stealth require that you hit a target. If your in a run state you can look ahead of you, see an ambient creature, target it...and fire off the skill activating said bonus. I've done a number of double backs while being chased by an enemy and stealthing on a target hit on an ambient.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:Because some skills like Cloaking or Stealth require that you hit a target. If your in a run state you can look ahead of you, see an ambient creature, target it...and fire off the skill activating said bonus. I've done a number of double backs while being chased by an enemy and stealthing on a target hit on an ambient.And the question is: is that the reason or is it server performance? I am curious about that too. I noticed it. The maps feel much emptier than before. But if this has a significant positive impact on performance, then okay I can live with it.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:it is good that they remove kinda stuff. and i disagree with @SweetPotato.7456 here... hitting stuff with siege is just experience. by time u hit more often precisely than you expect. i destroyed six catapults at the other river end @ lowlands keep from barely sight with a treb lately thanks to our absurd outnumbering situation atm. i only had to run close once to see where exactly the last two stand. and that on low graphics :P

i see it as pretty unnecessary to have these NPC animals as hitmarkers.

and i very much hate them keeping me stuck into battle, sometimes just long enough to have enemy gankergroups catch up.

There is no need to get out of the lowland keep to successfully hit anything , everything is within visual range from the outer wall, except those you can't reach off course. , and there is no river outside of lowland keep, just the keep's moat. The lowland keep is well protected by all 4 of its towers, as they are all within treb range.

The ambient creatures are helpful , please do not remove them.