Can we get Gaile Gray back please?

@"Svennis.3852" said:I liked her a lot. Sad she had to leave, especially if the incentive was for other people to keep their jobs over her own. How cruel. I hope she's moved on to better pastures. I'd love her back, but only if she wanted to return. Wouldn't blame her for going elsewhere.

For a short while, she was listed as a team member on Mike O'Brien's new project https://www.mana.works/About.html but she's no longer mentioned on the website that I see.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kharmin.7683 said:I still think one reason for Anet not posting in the forums is the level/amount of negativity and criticism that comes with it. The Alliances announcement being one of those things that some forum posters just won't let go. It's easier for Anet to release something with a modicum of fanfare than to suggest/announce something that doesn't show and then get kittened on by the forums for it.

Ok... So I get what you are saying about negativity.

Now... Take a step back..

Let’s picture 5 months from now when we get a little more info about the plans for an expansion.

Then let’s go another 6 months and be provided with some vague info about some questions that have come up.

Then...

Radio silence.

Complete and total nothing for 2 years.

How would the rest of the community feel?

Yeah. Thought so.

@kharmin.7683 said:I still think one reason for Anet not posting in the forums is the level/amount of negativity and criticism that comes with it. The Alliances announcement being one of those things that some forum posters just won't let go. It's easier for Anet to release something with a modicum of fanfare than to suggest/announce something that doesn't show and then get kittened on by the forums for it.

I definitely agree with you. Any interaction they have is likely to be a bad one and, even though I believe it is their fault due to them being pretty unreliable, it would be much easier to avoid that all together and not say anything.That and I really don't think they care at all.

@knite.1542 said:

I definitely agree with you. Any interaction they have is likely to be a bad one and, even though I believe it is their fault due to them being pretty unreliable, it would be much easier to avoid that all together and not say anything.That and I really don't think they care at all.

How hard is it to make announcement and/or a final response or update then lock the thread , but I completely agree with the second bullet about caring.

I wish they'd hire a community manager, Other games have teams of people dedicated to this but even just one person to answer FAQs on here, reddit or social media would be a huge help. Set up a staff discord channel for the community manager to relay questions and answers.

I'm not asking for total transparency on their workflow but for example a simple yes/no if the Legendary armory is planned before End of dragons or if there's going to be a balance patch before the end of the year would be a big step in right direction.

GW2 doesn't really need a CM since they can't divulge anything anyway.

My experience with gaile was ok in GW1, it was fun to group around her and talk in spamadan or whatever but its not like she actually contributed much. In fact my experience with her was very negative on these forums since they really embraced social justice and one of my bans she straight up told me to please post positive comments... yea thats no joke, criticism was not initially allowed on these forums.

So yeah.. either way I don't even care, it wouldn't change much to have a CM that can't communicate.

@Solanum.6983 said:I wish they'd hire a community manager, Other games have teams of people dedicated to this but even just one person to answer FAQs on here, reddit or social media would be a huge help. Set up a staff discord channel for the community manager to relay questions and answers.

I'm not asking for total transparency on their workflow but for example a simple yes/no if the Legendary armory is planned before End of dragons or if there's going to be a balance patch before the end of the year would be a big step in right direction.

Again, they have been burned by this community in the past for soft-announcing something like this and when it doesn't come through they've been called a bunch of liars. Those who did so are to blame.

I do would like Anet-former Gaile Gray to return and to retake her role as the Forum Communications Team Lead because of allowance of continual repetitive abuse in the forum

-If she choses to play to take control of other roles, that would be fine...she deserves the best but i do would like her to check in the forums and to put an end to it-

(my experience with her in the forum was more positive than negative. One thing that i can say for sure which many would also agree with, is that she didn't just communicate to us, she communicated with us-the community and knew how to connect with us and to get our attention. I Praise her for allowing the community to be open and vocal with her and allowing herself to take her role seriously. As every customer service relationship, there are good time and bad time, both parties can sometimes make mistakes but at the end of the day, it is all about maintaining communication for the better end. I myself had made mistakes and had felt unjust at times for results but at the end of the day, i want my voice to be heard alongside with the community. Even though the results may not please us but it is the attempt of communication and its understanding-both good and bad and knowing your community are what matters with resolving problems. The experience of the human touch and feeling belonging is what a community want and i believe Anet-former- Gaile Gray accomplished it in every way)

Thank You!

Anet-Former Gaile Gray

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Solanum.6983" said:I wish they'd hire a community manager, Other games have teams of people dedicated to this but even just one person to answer FAQs on here, reddit or social media would be a huge help. Set up a staff discord channel for the community manager to relay questions and answers.

Again, they have been burned by this community in the past for soft-announcing something like this and when it doesn't come through they've been called a bunch of liars. We only have ourselves to blame.

"We" are not a hive mind. I am not responsible for the posts of others nor are they for mine. Lumping the entire community together like this makes no sense.

ArenaNet are professionals, they know that, certainly a professional community manager would know it.

I think the problem has always been less to do with them announcing something and it not coming out and more to do with them announcing something and then going silent on the matter.

If they kept up the communication on these subjects there would be far fewer posts born out of frustration on these forums.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Solanum.6983" said:I wish they'd hire a community manager, Other games have teams of people dedicated to this but even just one person to answer FAQs on here, reddit or social media would be a huge help. Set up a staff discord channel for the community manager to relay questions and answers.

Again, they have been burned by this community in the past for soft-announcing something like this and when it doesn't come through they've been called a bunch of liars. We only have ourselves to blame.

"We" are not a hive mind. I am not responsible for the posts of others nor are they for mine. Lumping the entire community together like this makes no sense.

ArenaNet are professionals, they know that, certainly a professional community manager would know it.

I think the problem has always been less to do with them announcing something and it not coming out and more to do with them announcing something and then going silent on the matter.

If they kept up the communication on these subjects there would be far fewer posts born out of frustration on these forums.Ok, fine. "We". I edited that for you. I thought that it was apparent in the intent, but no one can assume anything anymore. I hope that the edit is clear enough now. Let me know if I need to be more specific and I'll see what I can do.

Still, many of us have been around here long enough to see the vitriol that A VOCAL GROUP (not "we" or "the forums") has thrown at Anet. Some continue to do so, communication or lack thereof notwithstanding. More communication would lead to more vitriol, in my opinion. From a PR perspective, it makes more sense to only mention something that is timely and worth mentioning. It's one thing for a company to remain quiet and for the public to admonish them for it. It's another thing to make announcements that are constantly and consistently met with ridicule and being called liars every time.

Would I like more communication from Anet? Sure! Would I welcome a liaison here on the forums? Absolutely! Do I blame Anet for the way things are now? Nope.

To be fair, Alliances has been announced 2 years ago. Entire games have been developped in between those times. The community kind of has a right to be a little miffed at the delay, especially when it isn't stated what the problem incurring the delay is. The most knowledgeable of the playerbase know that it isn't laziness or giving up on the idea that is causing that delay, but something complicated, the rest of the community doesn't, or doesn't care, and just want to have fun, which is fair enough as a customer mindset. They're not there to think out how best to implement a feature that was announced long ago. They're there to custom.

I never had any bad interraction with Gaile. I read some posters had. As far as I'm concerned, she was highly invested in the community and engaged very regularly with everyone at all levels. Which is what you want a community manager to be. Ergo, she was a good community manager. The fact she displayed more personality than the usual corporate doormats you see everywhere else was refreshing. It reminds everyone there are humans on the other side.

That's kind of my point. Alliances should never have been announced until it was much closer to actual deployment. People want more communication from Anet, but what are they going to tell us? Anything they say is often considered a "promise" that something will be done, and then when it isn't they're raked over the coals for it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

If they kept up the communication on these subjects there would be far fewer posts born out of frustration on these forums.Ok, fine. "We". I edited that for you. I thought that it was apparent in the intent, but no one can assume anything anymore. I hope that the edit is clear enough now. Let me know if I need to be more specific and I'll see what I can do.

Yet my point remains the same. Just because a few people in that community are kittens that isn't a good enough reason to not talk to the rest of that community.

Also, you continue to lay the blame at the feet of a section of the community and that's wrong. ArenaNet must share in that blame too. They set up expectations at the start when they posted their plans. Then they went silent and failed to manage those expectations by continuing to talk with and update the community when their plans changed.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Yet my point remains the same. Just because a few people in that community are kittens that isn't a good enough reason to not talk to the rest of that community.No, but I understand why they wouldn't.Also, you continue to lay the blame at the feet of a section of the community and that's wrong. ArenaNet must share in that blame too. They set up expectations at the start when they posted their plans. Then they went silent and failed to manage those expectations by continuing to talk with and update the community when their plans changed.Did you miss my post directly above yours?

@kharmin.7683 said:That's kind of my point. Alliances should never have been announced until it was much closer to actual deployment. People want more communication from Anet, but what are they going to tell us? Anything they say is often considered a "promise" that something will be done, and then when it isn't they're raked over the coals for it.

@"kharmin.7683" said:That's kind of my point. Alliances should never have been announced until it was much closer to actual deployment. People want more communication from Anet, but what are they going to tell us? Anything they say is often considered a "promise" that something will be done, and then when it isn't they're raked over the coals for it.

Then put it to rest. Manage the expectations. Say it isn’t happening.

They did that about the potential for an expac. They said nothing was planned. Explained they are providing longer story sections with ‘expansion level content’.

People gripes, and generally moved on.

Then, when an expac was decided on by then, they said voila! And people were ecstatic.

Say alliances isn’t going to happen.

Say it’s been shelved.

Say they don’t have resources for it.

Say something....

Don’t give a long thread, two updates and a vague reference. Then nothing for 2 years.

Again, can you imagine the fallout if nothing is said about the expansion for two years?

The WvW community deserves a resolution. That’s all.

Resolve it.

Don’t complain about them beating that dead horse until Anet is ready to either resurrect it, or dispose of it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Yet my point remains the same. Just because a few people in that community are kittens that isn't a good enough reason to not talk to the rest of that community.No, but I understand why they wouldn't.Also, you continue to lay the blame at the feet of a section of the community and that's wrong. ArenaNet must share in that blame too. They set up expectations at the start when they posted their plans. Then they went silent and failed to manage those expectations by continuing to talk with and update the community when their plans changed.Did you miss my post directly above yours?

@kharmin.7683 said:That's kind of my point. Alliances should never have been announced until it was much closer to actual deployment. People want more communication from Anet, but what are they going to tell us? Anything they say is often considered a "promise" that something will be done, and then when it isn't they're raked over the coals for it.

Yes, I did miss that post, the two posts were made 14 minutes apart but it's not like it's all that relevant to what I said.

I said they share the blame for the poor relationship with the vitriolic of the community because they mismanaged the expectations and went silent. You say that they should announce features much closer to actual deployment.

@kharmin.7683 said:Again, they have been burned by this community in the past for soft-announcing something like this and when it doesn't come through they've been called a bunch of liars. Those who did so are to blame.No, they have been burned by announcing something, and when, after a time, community started asking for more detail, going completely silent. The main culprit was always not enough information, not too much of it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Again, they have been burned by this community in the past for soft-announcing something like this and when it doesn't come through they've been called a bunch of liars. Those who did so are to blame.No, they have been burned by announcing something, and when, after a time, community started asking for more detail, going completely silent. The main culprit was always
not enough
information, not too much of it.

Agreed, but it's the way that some in the community bashed them over it. That's my point. If we didn't have people calling Anet liars and such, then they might be more willing to engage. I don't know about you, but if I had something that didn't work out and people flamed me and called me a liar without knowing what internal issues might have made the decision, then I wouldn't engage either. We don't know why Alliances has seemingly been shelved. There may be legal and/or industry secret reasons why and that's why no one has said anything. Heck, just admitting those reasons might be a problem. No one here knows, and to continually hammer away at it does no one any service.

@"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:Gaile is probably with the creators of the GW franchise making a new game. Gaile did not have anything to do in GW creation she was a player then became a liaison for Anet.

Not true. Gaile started with ArenaNet long before Guild Wars was released.Also, unless she is hiding it, she is not working for ManaWorks.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gailegray/

@"kharmin.7683" said:Agreed, but it's the way that some in the community bashed them over it. That's my point. If we didn't have people calling Anet liars and such, then they might be more willing to engage.

If they were more willing to engage, the stuff you mentioned likely wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I don't know about you, but if I had something that didn't work out and people flamed me and called me a liar without knowing what internal issues might have made the decision, then I wouldn't engage either.

If i promised something, and ran into problems, i would make that very clear to the people i made the promise to. Anet didn't. They ran into problem, and then kept silent about it.

And it's not like keeping silent later diminished the amount of flak they were getting. It made things worse. People kept in the dark about things they are very much interested in will get unhappy. The only way to avoid that is to keep them informed. Yes, even if the news are bad.

We don't know why Alliances has seemingly been shelved.

That's the point - we don;t even know if they were shelved. If they were indeed shelved, and Anet told us about it, i bet the amount of negative responses would go down, not up.

No one here knows, and to continually hammer away at it does no one any service.Anet especially. And yet, as long as they'll continue to keep us in the dark about it, the people will continue to "hammer away" at it.