Possible direction devs can go for new Mounts for EoD

stephiJK.2810

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:An expansion should introduce a feature that changes the way we explore. More mounts isn't a big sell for a new expansion.It is not about introducing new things, it is about keeping the flow of the expansion without disrupting it with features of the old one, also ability to sell more knickknacks on the gem store for arenanet cause you know money.

I like your drawings! I think there are some good ideas there for new mounts, Anet should look at them. The Moa is great, and I can totally see it trying to get airborne, frantically flapping its wings......and then fall down again. Only problem is that Moa's while moving, do not hop, but run. So they could not really use the Springer base model I think. But good stuff. As for the expac, I am sure we will see new Mount skins, the Celestial Dragon could very well be one of them. Totally new Mounts with different abilities, not so much. Maybe a Tunneler, that can truly go stealth, but very slow. Limited usefulness though.

EoD should have it's own special attraction. HoT has gliding and mushroom jumping and PoF has Mounts. Let EoD have Player Housing, an Antiques System like ESO, or new Role-playing elements where personality and dialogue matters.

I would like to see a solo or multi-player feature where you pick a team of 5 or 6 characters (Alts and/or other players) and complete short stories and combat trails almost like Dragon Age Inquisition. This would be cool if you're playing solo, you could see how the AI handles your alts. I would love to see something where personality finally matters in this game and has some benefits in unlocking stories.

@VocalThought.9835 said:EoD should have it's own special attraction. HoT has gliding and mushroom jumping and PoF has Mounts. Let EoD have Player Housing, an Antiques System like ESO, or new Role-playing elements where personality and dialogue matters.Never been interested in player housing. I'd rather be out in the world doing stuff. Also, would prefer GW2 to not adopt things from other games.

I would like to see a solo or multi-player feature where you pick a team of 5 or 6 characters (Alts and/or other players) and complete short stories and combat trails almost like Dragon Age Inquisition. This would be cool if you're playing solo, you could see how the AI handles your alts. I would love to see something where personality finally matters in this game and has some benefits in unlocking stories.Again, I'd prefer GW2 to not adopt things from other games. If WoW, ESO, DA have certain things that players enjoy, then they should play those games and not try to make GW2 do everything that all of the other games do.

Just my preference.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:EoD should have it's own special attraction. HoT has gliding and mushroom jumping and PoF has Mounts. Let EoD have Player Housing, an Antiques System like ESO, or new Role-playing elements where personality and dialogue matters.Never been interested in player housing. I'd rather be out in the world doing stuff. Also, would prefer GW2 to not adopt things from other games.

Having a Mastery track for Housing might at least have some meaning for some people, unlike the throw away Green/Red/Blue Essence Masteries from Season 5.But I don't care for housing either.Guild Halls already fulfill a similar role, too.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Having a Mastery track for Housing might at least have some meaning for some people, unlike the throw away Green/Red/Blue Essence Masteries from Season 5.But I don't care for housing either.Guild Halls already fulfill a similar role, too.

Not trying to say that housing may not have any appeal. Certainly has some here on the forum. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me and I wouldn't want to see it implemented just because some other game has it. Guild halls and Sun's Refuge should already serve that purpose, or at least that was my impression of them.

I agree about the season 5 masteries. Ugh.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I would like to see a solo or multi-player feature where you pick a team of 5 or 6 characters (Alts and/or other players) and complete short stories and combat trails almost like Dragon Age Inquisition. This would be cool if you're playing solo, you could see how the AI handles your alts. I would love to see something where personality finally matters in this game and has some benefits in unlocking stories.Again, I'd prefer GW2 to not adopt things from other games. If WoW, ESO, DA have certain things that players enjoy, then they should play those games and not try to make GW2 do everything that all of the other games do.

Just my preference.

I wouldn't suggest GW2 do a copy n paste of other games. Those are good game elements and GW2 can put their spin on it like they've been doing. It really what's missing from this game. Their needs to be a deeper level of role playing aside from cosmetics. I want to feel how my characters interact in the world aside from combat. Heck that might be a reason for the combat.

I actually really dislike a lot of post PoF maps that resemble muddily textured tundras that are designed to be sped past on mounts as fast as possible. It makes for a miserable experience for players like myself that like to walk through maps and notice all the details that were present in core and HoT maps. I think it's gotten a bit better recently with bjora and drizzlewood, but there's a place for wide open spaces and anet needs to be able to identify them better.

Player housing in Guild Wars just has no appeal to me, when I want to do that sort of thing I boot up Conan Exiles and build my empire on a mountain of skulls of fallen foes.
lLohfqb.gif

Its no skin off my nose if they decide to include housing, its just that I can't see Anet doing player housing very well, and as Kharmin has suggested EoD's special mechanic or draw should be something useful out in the world rather than something niche and off to the side. Damned if I know what that could be though.

@phokus.8934 said:

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Mounts have pretty much run their course, EoD needs to some how come up with something new.The expansions point to them doing something different. There should be no expectations that they will use PoF mounts as a selling point.

I can see them doing something transport related (airships?), though.

Isn't that what I said though?

@"stephiJK.2810" said:

I made this topic about a year ago on Reddit, (before Warclaw and Skyscale were announced) but now that we have a confirmed expansion coming up, I wanted to know what you all would think if they went with an approach similar to this in regards to mounts in EoD?

Basically the mounts would have the same function as their counterparts, except the weight/ animation would feel different. I drew some examples:

RovgOl1.png

So instead of the Springer hopping, it could be a Giant Moa lifting us off by flapping it's little wings! It's silly, but I hope it gets the idea across haha

The devs have shown they can be capable of this when it comes to the special skins, like the Humming Bird where the idle animations really make it feel like a whole new mount.

I see this as a possible direction they can head towards since there's only so many functions they can keep creating for new mounts. I honestly loved collecting the mounts in PoF and would love more opportunities! Is this something you'd like to see come from the expansion?

EOD doesn't need new mounts. Anet designed mounts to be a way to traverse the lands specific obstacles. If new mounts are added they would have to be able to traverse the land differently from current mounts. But honestly Anet can just upgrade current mounts to do different things just like when they added the Dive mechanic to the Skimmer mount. New EOD themed mount skins can just be added instead.

I don't want EOD to be about mounts to be honest btw. I would prefer the new thing for EOD to be something maybe relating to ships / personal boats & Housing along with fishing.

No, just no. Each expac added something different and kinda revolutionary, mount again would be a huge downfall and regression. As said above, would like housing or personnal ship to command/customize see, like zelda phantom hourglass: You travel on the sea between islets, you can customize, some naval fights... meeting other merchant on the sea...x0xXxEZ.jpgTraditionnal boats but also I'm thinking, would enjoy going to cantha not flying but by the sea with a fleet of new pact vessels (Here I too wakfu cause i liked that episode picturing a big fight between a high tech fleet and a dragon on an island S2 E23)

@"hugo.4705" said:No, just no. Each expac added something different and kinda revolutionary, mount again would be a huge downfall and regression. As said above, would like housing or personnal ship to command/customize see, like zelda phantom hourglass: You travel on the sea between islets, you can customize, some naval fights... meeting other merchant on the sea...x0xXxEZ.jpgTraditionnal boats but also I'm thinking, would enjoy going to cantha not flying but by the sea with a fleet of new pact vessels (Here I too wakfu cause i liked that episode picturing a big fight between a high tech fleet and a dragon on an island S2 E23)

Ships? Wouldn't mind this, but it'll never happen. I don't think the engine could pull it off if they tried, its just too old and limited.

• 4 weeks later...