Better previews? - [Merged]

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Other games do it without content suffering, not sure why GW2 wouldn't be able to accomplish it when it sounds like it'd help resolve so many issues ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It seems to be a common theme on threads here - people making up reasons why things can't get better or making up excuses for as to why things have not already improved.

No one is making up excuses. The devs have specifically stated this issue of code being a significant problem.

And GW2 is not like "other games". Even the business model is different.

Yes but at what point does it actually become making excuses though?

And i'm not saying you're wrong, the devs did state that, but we have no way of knowing if it's actually
that
bad, or how long it would take to fix it.More so - i do believe the code is a mess, i mean, i play the game almost every day now and it definitely shows, but as the code is something that every other aspect is built upon, isn't it kind of "unwise" to be adding layers upon layers of additional code on top of the broken one, instead of taking a break and fixing what needs to be fixed?

Cause eventually, it will all collapse if they don't fix the foundation.

Now, would it really take 5 years to fix the code? Would it take so long to even write the code from scratch?I don't think so...I mean, it's not like they would be developing a game from scratch, the assets are there, the logic is there, the "everyting" is there so that's not something that needs changing. If they only worked on the engine and the foundation, i don't believe it would take that long. Plus, it's possible to add minor stuff in the game to keep it interesting, but i don't think even that would be required. You said, "no content" for X years. To me, and i think a lot of people that are concerned about the game's longetivity, a new engine itself would be content, even if nothing was changed gameplay wise.

A new improved engine would draw in new players, bring back old ones, and future proof the game. To me that's content, and it's more substantial content thatn adding a new raid wing or a map or an event that people will get bored with in a week. Because people get bored with new content easily, there's people that finish a map within days, then complain almost immediately that they're bored and Anet isn't providing content... Those are only a vocal minority though. The game is
huge
when you look at it. The only players that are bored are the ones that have done everything and don't know what else to do. So content wise, there's enough to keep people entertained for a long time, especially after the Xpac (after which i think they should start working on the engine).

There's also a case where, a lot of the times, people on the forums are making excuses for Anet, claiming X thing would be impossible, and that kinda encourages passivity.But the truth is that none of us know how bad it is, so understand, this is just my opinion of course. I just fear that, if the code is such a mess, that the game will soon die, and i've seen it happen to other MMOs and games. I don't want this to happen to GW2. I'd like to see them try and future proof the game.

In fact, there are many games, and not only games, that are built exactly like this. Because the thing about coding is that you will never achieve perfection. Something always breaks and fixing something broken can often lead to more destruction.And rewriting something does take a long time, whether there is a construct or not. Especially when it comes to the construct being exactly the flaw in everything.

Nevertheless, this should not be rested on, of course. You can't sell things with obvious flaws (well, they can, otherwise they would have done something long ago).All this is not easy. But in the first place this does not interest us the customer. No Customer asks me on work either if it is too hard for me. If something goes wrong and the customer has problems, I have to resolve it, easy.However, as I said, as long as people buy and use the store, nothing will change anyway. The store is obviously usable, so why make the effort. That would be the same for me at work.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:For me, the whole trading post, especially the Gem-store is "bugged".Before I get a preview displayed, it takes forever, because the individual tabs take forever ... I prefer to look at everything in the wardrobe or online if anet has once again missed to update the first.

So yes, in general, the Gemshop can use a general overhaul ...

i think the same,the BL UI is very mess, i wonder which crazy engine they used, because when i always open BL Store, the hard drive starts to load lots of info, like if theres some "heavy" information, just to open some tabs, panels? lolz.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Other games do it without content suffering, not sure why GW2 wouldn't be able to accomplish it when it sounds like it'd help resolve so many issues ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It seems to be a common theme on threads here - people making up reasons why things can't get better or making up excuses for as to why things have not already improved.

No one is making up excuses. The devs have specifically stated this issue of code being a significant problem.

And i'm not saying you're wrong, the devs did state that, but we have no way of knowing if it's actually
that
bad, or how long it would take to fix it.More so - i do believe the code is a mess, i mean, i play the game almost every day now and it definitely shows, but as the code is something that every other aspect is built upon, isn't it kind of "unwise" to be adding layers upon layers of additional code on top of the broken one, instead of taking a break and fixing what needs to be fixed?

Now, would it really take 5 years to fix the code? Would it take so long to even write the code from scratch?I don't think so...I mean, it's not like they would be developing a game from scratch, the assets are there, the logic is there, the "everyting" is there so that's not something that needs changing. If they only worked on the engine and the foundation, i don't believe it would take that long. Plus, it's possible to add minor stuff in the game to keep it interesting, but i don't think even that would be required. You said, "no content" for X years. To me, and i think a lot of people that are concerned about the game's longetivity, a new engine itself would be content, even if nothing was changed gameplay wise.

A new improved engine would draw in new players, bring back old ones, and future proof the game. To me that's content, and it's more substantial content thatn adding a new raid wing or a map or an event that people will get bored with in a week. Because people get bored with new content easily, there's people that finish a map within days, then complain almost immediately that they're bored and Anet isn't providing content... Those are only a vocal minority though. The game is
huge
when you look at it. The only players that are bored are the ones that have done everything and don't know what else to do. So content wise, there's enough to keep people entertained for a long time, especially after the Xpac (after which i think they should start working on the engine).

There's also a case where, a lot of the times, people on the forums are making excuses for Anet, claiming X thing would be impossible, and that kinda encourages passivity.But the truth is that none of us know how bad it is, so understand, this is just my opinion of course. I just fear that, if the code is such a mess, that the game will soon die, and i've seen it happen to other MMOs and games. I don't want this to happen to GW2. I'd like to see them try and future proof the game.

In fact, there are many games, and not only games, that are built exactly like this. Because the thing about coding is that you will never achieve perfection. Something always breaks and fixing something broken can often lead to more destruction.And rewriting something does take a long time, whether there is a construct or not. Especially when it comes to the construct being exactly the flaw in everything.

Nevertheless, this should not be rested on, of course. You can't sell things with obvious flaws (well, they can, otherwise they would have done something long ago).All this is not easy. But in the first place this does not interest us the customer. No Customer asks me on work either if it is too hard for me. If something goes wrong and the customer has problems, I have to resolve it, easy.However, as I said, as long as people buy and use the store, nothing will change anyway. The store is obviously usable, so why make the effort. That would be the same for me at work.

Well it's ultimately up to Anet to decide if they want to keep the game in this state or try to improve it. And i'm not just talking about the gem store.It definitely wouldn't be easy, that's for sure, but the result might be very well worth the effort. The thing is, they probably don't think the result would be worthwile otherwise they would have done it long ago. Or maybe something else is stopping them. Maybe the code is so far gone that even a rewrite wouldn't help. If that's so, the game is already dead, it's just a matter of time before it breaks irreversably.

And yes, as long as people buy from the store then "it's fine", that argument is -people are using the store so it's fine, but on the other hand, if they don't then that's the argument on why they can't do it as well, only it turns into people are not buying from the store so we don't have enough funds. This can turn into a circular logic really easy...

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

What other games do doesn't impact what Anet does or how GW2 works. Sure, improving the preview is a nice LUXURY. It's unfortunate that in a few instances, some deficiencies with the preview impacts someone's abillity to judge an item for purchase from the GS. I think what Kharmin says is a very realistic and practical recognition though ... where Anet puts their resources isn't an 'excuse' for them to not improve the game ... it's a REAL factor. The bottom line is that improvements don't tend to generate revenue like new content does. I don't imagine 1000's of players adding gametime to GW2 because the preview was improved ... I CAN imagine 1000's of players adding gametime to GW2 because new content was released

@Veprovina.4876 said:

that

huge

Well it's ultimately up to Anet to decide if they want to keep the game in this state or try to improve it. And i'm not just talking about the gem store.It definitely wouldn't be easy, that's for sure, but the result might be very well worth the effort. The thing is, they probably don't think the result would be worthwile otherwise they would have done it long ago. Or maybe something else is stopping them. Maybe the code is so far gone that even a rewrite wouldn't help. If that's so, the game is already dead, it's just a matter of time before it breaks irreversably.

I think the 'worthwhile' bit is where the discussion can end, really. Clearly ANet thus far hasn't considered the TP preview window fix-worthy.

As for the whether or not such a fix would be worthwhile considering the future of the game, my money is on a solid nope. I don't think the flaws (as awful and ridiculous as they are) on previews ever really stopped anyone who really did want to purchase something (people have already talked about wiki codes, previews on asura, etc). I think the same can be said of impulse purchases as well - I'm not sure having the top of a staff head cut off was ever a deciding factor when someone just wanted to splurge a bit.

I also happen to think GW2 is nearing the end of active development. I don't foresee us getting another full xpac after EoD, unless EoD is utterly amazing and revitalizes the game in ways most of us didn't expect. I'm certain we'll continue to see 'balance' patches and living world for years to come, but ultimately the game has soldiered on for a very long time under burdens that could have easily undone far lesser products.

None of this is to say that (1) it's not a good idea to fix something as simple and essential as the TP preview function, or (2) that in general fixing fundamental coding problems isn't smart for the longevity of a game. All I'm saying is that NCSoft can probably get what it wants out of GW2 (in the time GW2 has remaining) without making those fixes, so ANet won't get the resources it needs to properly pursue those fixes.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

that

huge

And yes, as long as people buy from the store then "it's fine", that argument is -
people are using the store so it's fine
, but on the other hand, if they don't then that's the argument on why they can't do it as well, only it turns into
people are not buying from the store so we don't have enough funds
. This can turn into a circular logic really easy...

Yep, unfortunately ...I know anet does a lot of good. Gw2 is a great game and I know that Anet has to earn money but that here in the forum often only the minimum is expected from Anet I often do not understand.

I don't know if this is true for the whole community, that the GW2 community is just very generous or if this is just the opinion here in the forum.Either way, such things can also quickly break their neck. Because to postpone something for ages is never good.Excuses only work as long as everything is still running somehow.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

What other games do doesn't impact what Anet does or how GW2 works. Sure, improving the preview is a nice LUXURY. It's unfortunate that in a few instances, some deficiencies with the preview impacts someone's abillity to judge an item for purchase from the GS. I think what Kharmin says is a very realistic and practical recognition though ... where Anet puts their resources isn't an 'excuse' for them to not improve the game ... it's a REAL factor. The bottom line is that improvements don't tend to generate revenue like new content does. I don't imagine 1000's of players adding gametime to GW2 because the preview was improved ... I CAN imagine 1000's of players adding gametime to GW2 because new content was released

I personally couldn't care less about improving the preview. This just happens to be the thread that I finally decided to question someone using the 'spaghetti code' as an excuse to not improve anything that players deem to be a problem.

Anytime someone points out a bug or a feature that isn't working as it should, people put it down as "Na can't get fixed because of this super duper complex code issue man".....when a sensible business that wants to survive would just say "OK, we need to put together some contractors to get this code straightened out for the long term good of our product".

I'm not super invested either way....yeah, I buy the expansions and have spent money on gems, but in the end I play this game super casually so probably don't notice issues as much as a hardcore player would....but a fanbase lying down and resigning to issues because they think they just can't be solved (of course they can) is just really sad and frustrating.

@Obtena.7952 said:

See, this is what i'm talking about. When players start making excuses for the developers because "revenue", "code", etc., it encourages the developers to actually do nothing. Especially for something that for all intents and purposes should be an afternoon coding job. Nothing that would require them to stop working on content.So when an afternoon UI tweak becomes a luxury in the players eyes, what hope is there for anything more substantial then?

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

that

huge

I think the 'worthwhile' bit is where the discussion can end, really. Clearly ANet thus far hasn't considered the TP preview window fix-worthy.

They didn't yeah. But is that something the community should just shrug off or should we start expecting minor changes as something that doesn't require millions of dollars, a content draught or an excuse that it's not worthwile because it doesn't generate revenue for them in a direct way?

As for the whether or not such a fix would be worthwhile considering the future of the game, my money is on a solid nope. I don't think the flaws (as awful and ridiculous as they are) on previews ever really stopped anyone who really did want to purchase something (people have already talked about wiki codes, previews on asura, etc). I think the same can be said of impulse purchases as well - I'm not sure having the top of a staff head cut off was ever a deciding factor when someone just wanted to splurge a bit.

Maybe, only Anet has the real numbers, but with nothing to compare them with (as in, they don't actually know if the improved UI would boost sales cause the UI never got improved), we're just guessing as much as they are...

I also happen to think GW2 is nearing the end of active development. I don't foresee us getting another full xpac after EoD, unless EoD is utterly amazing and revitalizes the game in ways most of us didn't expect. I'm certain we'll continue to see 'balance' patches and living world for years to come, but ultimately the game has soldiered on for a very long time under burdens that could have easily undone far lesser products.

Oh the game and the work they do is amazing, i'm not challenging that. I'm just curious why something so small, like, details really, need so much work.

None of this is to say that (1) it's not a good idea to fix something as simple and essential as the TP preview function, or (2) that in general fixing fundamental coding problems isn't smart for the longevity of a game. All I'm saying is that NCSoft can probably get what it wants out of GW2 (in the time GW2 has remaining) without making those fixes, so ANet won't get the resources it needs to properly pursue those fixes.

Again, "resources" and "a simple UI fix" shouldn't really be in the same sentence. The fact that they often are, especially from the community, tells a lot though...

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

that

huge

And yes, as long as people buy from the store then "it's fine", that argument is -
people are using the store so it's fine
, but on the other hand, if they don't then that's the argument on why they can't do it as well, only it turns into
people are not buying from the store so we don't have enough funds
. This can turn into a circular logic really easy...

Yep, unfortunately ...I know anet does a lot of good. Gw2 is a great game and I know that Anet has to earn money but that here in the forum often only the minimum is expected from Anet I often do not understand.

I don't know if this is true for the whole community, that the GW2 community is just very generous or if this is just the opinion here in the forum.Either way, such things can also quickly break their neck. Because to postpone something for ages is never good.Excuses only work as long as everything is still running somehow.

They do a lot of good, that's definitely true.But like you - i'm also fearful of what happens when things eventually break due to neglect.Only time will tell i guess, especially if people keep defending small changes with "code" and "resources" etc.Idk... It's a weird issue, i don't think i've ever seen a community that defended small changes with the argument of someone not getting enough resources from "X".

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

I personally couldn't care less about improving the preview. This just happens to be the thread that I finally decided to question someone using the 'spaghetti code' as an excuse to not improve anything that players deem to be a problem.

Anytime someone points out a bug or a feature that isn't working as it should, people put it down as "Na can't get fixed because of this super duper complex code issue man".....when a sensible business that wants to survive would just say "OK, we need to put together some contractors to get this code straightened out for the long term good of our product".

I'm not super invested either way....yeah, I buy the expansions and have spent money on gems, but in the end I play this game super casually so probably don't notice issues as much as a hardcore player would....
but a fanbase lying down and resigning to issues because they think they just can't be solved (of course they can) is just really sad and frustrating

Well, it's definitely not a "make or break" change, and i'm not going to quit the game cause i can't preview a greatsword.But i'm also not going to buy it either then.

Now, how many people would do the same, idk, maybe i'im the minority and maybe i'm just not a big spender.But that shouldn't be a defining factor in small changes.

Ultimately it comes down to the bolded part. People resign so much and expect so little that it could actually be detrimental in the long run.Now, of course, the game is free(ish), and there's a TON of content for literally nothing, and that's admirable from Anet.But no one has a problem asking for more content when they get bored, which is a huge job by comparison, yet they start making excuses when the UI needs a tweak.

Weird... Just, weird...

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

See, this is what i'm talking about. When players start making excuses for the developers because "revenue", "code", etc., it encourages the developers to actually do nothing. Especially for something that for all intents and purposes should be an afternoon coding job. Nothing that would require them to stop working on content.So when an afternoon UI tweak becomes a
luxury
in the players eyes, what hope is there for anything more substantial then?

Substantial ... like an expanion? I guess there is LOTS of hope. At least much more hope than marginally useful luxuries like improved preview screen. Like I said ... If you want to pin your hopes on 'anything more substantial', pin it to something that makes Anet money.

Don't pretend developers are motivated by what we are saying in a forum. That doesn't make sense. They are motivated by what their business direction people at Anet are telling them to develop ... and that's going to be linked to revenues. If the current preview window was affecting revenues significantly, then sure .. that COULD be a value added improvement to the game. I doubt that it is though ...

@Obtena.7952 said:

See, this is what i'm talking about. When players start making excuses for the developers because "revenue", "code", etc., it encourages the developers to actually do nothing. Especially for something that for all intents and purposes should be an afternoon coding job. Nothing that would require them to stop working on content.So when an afternoon UI tweak becomes a
luxury

Substantial ... like an expanion? I guess there is LOTS of hope. At least much more hope than marginally useful luxuries like improved preview screen. Like I said ... If you want to pin your hopes on 'anything more substantial', pin it to something that makes Anet money.

Don't pretend developers are motivated by what we are saying in a forum. That doesn't make sense. They are motivated by what their business direction people at Anet are telling them to develop ... and that's going to be linked to revenues. If the current preview window was affecting revenues significantly, then sure .. that COULD be a value added improvement to the game. I doubt that it is though ...

See this is why we can't have nice things i guess...

Your argument is flawed a bit. You're arguing that the current window isn't affecting the revenue. But they have no way of knowing that. To know if the window was affecting revenue they'd have to inprove it in the first place. What's the reference point now? That the current preview exists, and they get X revenue from skins. So how do they know if improving it won't add more revenue? They don't.

But if the community is so against improvement that i's capable of defeating itself, then Anet doesn't even have to lift a finger to improve the details, nor does it have to communicate with us because we'll do that for them and shut down every little suggestion on the premise that it's either "not generating revenue" or "it would cost an impossible amount of money to have a slight UI change". Do you hear how silly this sounds?

Disappointing.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

luxury

We don't get nice things because of how Anet prioritizes development. It has nothing to do what players think. You can complain all you like about it or pretend and convince yourself it's players that prevent nice things ... but it's a business and it's here to make revenue and profit.

You're arguing that the current window isn't affecting the revenue.

No I didn't ... you just misunderstood what I said. I said an improvement like that doesn't tend to generate revenue like new content does.

@Obtena.7952 said:

luxury

We don't get nice things because of how Anet prioritizes development. It has nothing to do what players think. You can complain all you like about it or pretend and convince yourself it's players that prevent nice things ... but it's a business and it's here to make revenue and profit.

No I didn't ... you just misunderstood what I said. I said an improvement like that doesn't tend to generate revenue like new content does.

And you misunderstood what i said as well.I said, *we can't know that and can't argue that on Anet's behalf".But you went ahead and did it anyway which kinda proves my point on what i've been saying how the community is self defeating, so whatever.

I guess it's time to become jaded and stop hoping that this game will ever rise above what it is because the community doesn't want an improvement.I mean, what we have now is great, don't get me wrong. But it could be so much better and smoother.

Oh well...

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Again, "resources" and "a simple UI fix" shouldn't really be in the same sentence. The fact that they often are, especially from the community, tells a lot though...

I'm totally with you on this one. I have zero game dev knowledge, but I'm still mystified as to how something that already exists elsewhere in the game at higher functioning levels can be so difficult to adapt here. Unfortunately we've heard that UI functions - particularly those that have been with the game from an early stage - apparently are a huge hassle to fix, so that's all we have to go on.

A large part of me does suspect, however, that it arguably comes down to a lack of will to do it rather than a true lack of ability to get it done within reasonable time/effort/budget.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

luxury

And you misunderstood what i said as well.I said, *we can't know that and can't argue that on Anet's behalf".

No one is arguing on anyone's behalf. Again, what Anet works on is not based on player's ideas of what that should be. Prioritizing developments that make money over ones that don't is just ... sensible. That's not some new or novel concept. It's how business works. Luxuries come when there is extra sitting around. Maybe you convinced yourself Anet has lots of people sitting around waiting for something to do ... I'm doubtful.

I mean ... maybe Anet has a budget for this kind of thing. I don't know ... but I'm hoping if they did, even in the luxury budget, I'm hoping they have something better to offer us than 'improved preview window'. Applying resources to that kind of thing is highly questionable IMO.

With the upcoming patch , is it possible that the wardrobe preview can be updated?right now , the preview box is too narrow , will only show one weapon at a time and the most inportant is that it wont show effects of itemsI spent time and effort making Ad Infinitum , only to hate it because of the glow when in combat , which was N O T shown in the wardrobe previewseriously ... i feel my eforts crafting it were in vain

It must be a difficult thing to fix because there are some major issues with the preview window that make it tough for players to be sure what the item really looks like. From having no preview for chairs to show scale or sitting position, no z-axis for glider previews, to showing no effects it's impossible to tell if items for sale are really what you want in a lot of cases.

I am sure they would have done something about this long ago if it were an easy thing to fix. It's hard to imagine it isn't costing them sales as I have passed on several purchases I probably would have made if I could have had a more full-featured preview panel. I can't be the only one.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I am sure they would have done something about this long ago if it were an easy thing to fix. It's hard to imagine it isn't costing them sales as I have passed on several purchases I probably would have made if I could have had a more full-featured preview panel. I can't be the only one.

Maybe ... but a wishlist feature to notify you when stuff you are interested is available in the gem store should be fairly easy to implement and that hasn't happened either.

So yeah I play in high resolution and my preview pane never fully shows large weapons either. And if you really want to play guess that staff preview from the TP or from a chest then the preview window wont show the whole thing. Gemstore preview isnt the issue regular preview is.

Yes, this is a minor issue. It’s not enough to make players write this game off. But combine a lot of issues like this that Anet doesn’t address and we have a bigger picture. When all is combined, Anet’s complicity with various issues with the game can make players lose faith in the company, which can kill interest in Anet’s future games as well. There’s a much bigger picture than just one minor issue that doesn’t affect current profit.

I, for example, didn’t start GW2 for 6 years because I had no faith in Anet. After finally giving GW2 a try... yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m done with this company. So many embarrassingly bad issues, so many things unaddressed, so many things falling on deaf ears...