Better previews? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Better previews?

So, if i want to preview a staff or greatsword skin in the gem store, i'm basically guessing what i'm buying right?
I mean, just look at this:

Yeah, i totally know how that staff looks now. Greatswords are worse, most characters hold them sideways and you can never preview how the sword looks. Also, some skins have animations that you can't see due to them being cut out.
Anet does sell this stuff for real money lol, isn't there any way to make the preview window zoom out a little or something to show the entire skin when wielded? How are people going to know what they're getting if they can't preview it fully? So you're just guessing what you're buying and that's not a good thing.

And i don't buy the usual "i'd rather they work on X content" excuse, this should be a one afternoon job to fix, i don't think it's that hard to at least adjust the preview window, is it?
What do you think? I also don't think it's a priority or anything, but such small details are kind of important, and since i don't believe this requires a whole team to work on it for months, i'm not sure why this hasn't been adressed before.

Comments

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, we don't know how hard it would be to fix or how much development resources would be required to address it. It could be a lot more than we expect since much of GW2 is built on the old, spaghetti code.

I agree, though, that a better preview for items like this would be appreciated. The regular preview panel (outside of the BLTC) has three view options. It would be helpful if that window opened from the BLTC preview button.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

The preview window could definitely be far better than it is. The normal one letting you preview weapons and armour stowed, wielded or the weapon on it's own is marginally more helpful, but it's still not great.

I think the priority should be to add the ability to zoom in and out and rotate in 3 dimensions instead of just spinning around (this is actually possible for mounts, which is good because otherwise it would be impossible to preview skimmers in any meaningful way). But ideally they could also add things like a lighting toggle, the ability to see how things look while you're walking/running, using different attacks etc. and make sure all the animations and effects will show in the window. The ability to apply dyes to individual slots and from the dye menu instead of having to search for them on the trading post would also be a vast improvement.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

I agree, we don't know, but i don't think it would be that hard to implement this. I mean, the groundwork is there, just you know, take another step. :tongue:
    But if nothing else, then it would indeed be helpful if we could preview just the weapon like on the normal preview window.
    Or just a zoom feature so i can see the entire weapon. We can already rotate the character, if that's implemented i'm sure that the tools to implement zooom are there as well. And indeed, it's there for mounts! So it's possible and it's in the game coded already. So... The "difficulty" of implementing this seems smaller and smaller with each argument lol. :tongue:

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

Play asura

@Linken.6345 said:
    Play asura

Haha, i guess, but that's not a solution. :tongue:

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭✭

Charr has this problem too! In the character selection screen too, horns are cropped.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

Don't preview gem store items on Norn or Charr, weapons look fine on all other races as they properly fit the preview window. While waiting for a fix you can preview anything you want from the wardrobe, that's what I do. And it looks correct on all races. Although you must remember the names because in the wardrobe you see everything, not only the items on offer. It's annoying, but it works. For a game that is focused on gem store sales to survive and evolve, not having a proper preview option for gem store items makes no sense.

@maddoctor.2738 said:
    Don't preview gem store items on Norn or Charr, weapons look fine on all other races as they properly fit the preview window. While waiting for a fix you can preview anything you want from the wardrobe, that's what I do. And it looks correct on all races. Although you must remember the names because in the wardrobe you see everything, not only the items on offer. It's annoying, but it works. For a game that is focused on gem store sales to survive and evolve, not having a proper preview option for gem store items makes no sense.

Yes but, all i have are Norn and Charr characters. :tongue:
    And i know about the wardrobe, that's not the issue, it's about the "user experience"... I know i can go to the wardrobe on a human character and preview the skins and i know i can go to the wiki to see how they look there. But 1 - i don't have human characters, just charr and norn, and 2 - wiki doesn't preview how animations look if the skin has them.

So it might be niche, i understand that, but like you said - they're selling skins but we have to jump through hoops to preview them properly? Makes no sense, if you're selling something for real money, customers should see exactly what they're getting. And it can be done, they did it with mount previews, full 3D rotation, they all fit inside the screen more or less... Shouldn't be that much of a problem to adjust the store previews based on that. It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.

@Veprovina.4876 said:
    It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.

No one knows how little or big of an effort such a thing would entail. Sure, it seems minor to you (and many of us, I'm sure) but we already know that the code is built on old, convoluted code which can have unintended consequences when changed. Figuring out what might break when making a change in code like this can be a very big task.

As to the second point, I'm pretty confident that if this change would significantly increase sales over the resources that would be needed to make the change, then Anet would have done so. It's always about the money. :)

Very.
    Casual.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Linken.6345 said:
    Play asura

Haha, i guess, but that's not a solution. :tongue:

Its always the solution.

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd like better previews as well. Being able to preview a mount with my character would be helpful. Being able preview character with an armour/outfit/mount skin with dyes would be a game changer for throwing money at the screen

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

or just starting with a larger window

the preview window isn't even large enough for some daggers

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:
    It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.

No one knows how little or big of an effort such a thing would entail. Sure, it seems minor to you (and many of us, I'm sure) but we already know that the code is built on old, convoluted code which can have unintended consequences when changed. Figuring out what might break when making a change in code like this can be a very big task.

As to the second point, I'm pretty confident that if this change would significantly increase sales over the resources that would be needed to make the change, then Anet would have done so. It's always about the money. :)

Yeah, i know we don't know, but idk, youtube a bunch of coders or whatever, and they program whole AI's in a day and stuff, i don't think a simple UI change will require that much work to be honest... But you're right, who knows what they did to their code, maybe Anet totally messed it up and now can't change it lol.

But you don't think being able to see a whole weapon wouldn't increase sales? I think it would, a lot. I mean, greatswords would probably sell double if people could actually see them. :tongue:

I don't know, obviously none of us can comment on how hard that would be to change, but honestly, defending a simple UI change as something that "requires resources" and needs balancing in time spent vs money gained is just ridiculous. Most programmers can do that in an afternoon. Like, just resize the window so there's more space around the character. Doesn't need to be fancy.

• Well, the Devs have stated numerous times that UI work/changes are the most difficult of all. /shrug

Regardless, good luck on the QoL suggestion.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Well, the Devs have stated numerous times that UI work/changes are the most difficult of all. /shrug

Regardless, good luck on the QoL suggestion.

Really? Wow, that code must be really messed up if the UI is the most difficult thing lol.
    Oh well. Thanks for your input! :smile:
    Hopefully they figure somthing out someday to make all the small QoL changes happen.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

I play on 1440p and i can't see most weapons fully when in the shop preview.
    So, how exactly are you seeing them fully? Is there a trick or something?

• Get the chat link tag from the wiki. Paste it in chat and then you can preview it weapon only or whatever. Works better than the menu.

@LuRkEr.9462 said:
    Get the chat link tag from the wiki. Paste it in chat and then you can preview it weapon only or whatever. Works better than the menu.

I know that, but that requires alt tabbing out of the game. Doesn't really look good for the company when players have to jump through hoops just to preview skin, and it's even worse when that skin is a premium currency skin you have to pay for with real money. Plus, you run into the same issues as the store preview if you want to see your character weilding the weapon. Idk, it just seems unprofessional that's all...

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

The size of the preview and TP windows are unaffected by resolution so that is a very stupid comment.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's also a colossal issue that not all weapons and armor in the game are visible in the wardrobe until after they are unlocked. The preview window for that is also much worse.

So far, Icebrood Saga weapon collections cost 3845 Gold to craft!
    *Does not include Volcanic Stormcaller set, Runic Armor, or Icebrood Infusion.

• I never understood why they didn't just add a "weapon only" checkbox to the Gemstore preview window. It's already in the game. But as said above, maybe that's somehow harder than it seems.

• SexyMofo.8923SexyMofo.8923 Member ✭✭✭

Should have seen the preview on chairs. It was so bad that the had the take out the model entirely.

• Smoosh.2718Smoosh.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'll never understand the Gw2 preview window. It is a shame you can not zoom in and out, or even move the camera.

The other part I can not understand is the fact that the menu can be reflected onto the preview window (seriously some weapons can reflect the menu).
    Since the menu is reflected, this suggests to me that the menu is another overlay (like a 2nd version of the game running at the same time), if this is the case then camera controls could in theory be added to the menu system, allowing you to zoom in and out, or even moving the camera up and down, see the FFXIV preview window as a key example here.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

The size of the preview and TP windows are unaffected by resolution so that is a very stupid comment.

then why is it a non-issue for me?
    the suggested improvement would improve it in one go, a bigger preview doesn't solve anything so don't start with stupid with me.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

the suggested improvement would improve it in one go, a bigger preview doesn't solve anything so don't start with stupid with me.

You are using norn and charr characters and have no issues?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

Changing resolution wouldn't solve the issue. The preview window would render within the same space but at a different ratio.

Very.
    Casual.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

because you haven't bothered to understand the issue before posting?

The image OP posted in the very first post is 2,560px × 1,440px

@maddoctor.2738 said:
    You are using norn and charr characters and have no issues?

Issue still exist on asura. Less but the tops of staffs still get cut off.

edited February 11, 2021

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

You never answeerd my previous question. You can see all the character+weapon in the preview without the borders cutting the weapon off?

EDIT: Can you post a screenshot?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

You never answeerd my previous question. You can see all the character+weapon in the preview without the borders cutting the weapon off?

i did answer your question but you don't want to accept any, but if you really need prove, here you go.
    https://i.postimg.cc/j5V9vnmk/gw006.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/FsPB8BwS/gw007.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/RZybVnSV/gw008.jpg

oh and actually thinking of the improvement i suggested would help your argument, you're complaining without accepting improvements.

edited February 20, 2021

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

i did answer your question but you don't want to accept any, but if you really need prove, here you go.

oh and actually thinking of the improvement i suggested would help your argument, you're complaining without accepting improvements.

Wait, what are you talking about, what improvements?
    The only thing you suggested is to "play the game in a resolution higher than 800X600 - which all of us do, i don't think anybody plays the game in 800x600 and changing the resolutions doens't change previews.

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

Theese are all your posts in this thread. Please tell me which one answered my question.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I don't see an answer to the question "i play in 1440p - how do i fit the entire character in the preview window". If the "solution" is "don't play in 800x600 - i don't, i play in 1440p which is why i asked you how do i fit a Norn or a Charr in that window and preview greatswords and staffs fully.

Also, what are the characters on the screenshot, are they human or norn?

• @Frostfang.5109 said:
    Charr has this problem too! In the character selection screen too, horns are cropped.

Really? I play around with the Charr character creator all the time and they've never been cropped out for me

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

The only thing you suggested is to "play the game in a resolution higher than 800X600 - which all of us do, i don't think anybody plays the game in 800x600 and changing the resolutions doens't change previews.

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

Theese are all your posts in this thread. Please tell me which one answered my question.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I don't see an answer to the question "i play in 1440p - how do i fit the entire character in the preview window". If the "solution" is "don't play in 800x600 - i don't, i play in 1440p which is why i asked you how do i fit a Norn or a Charr in that window and preview greatswords and staffs fully.

uhmm so you're just going to ignore the whole zoom part?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

See this is what i'm talking about, what zoom part?
    You can zoom your character in the preview window?
    Cause i never found a way to do it...
    Is this common knowledge or something?

If you're going to call me out on something can you please then elaborate on what you mean?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

If you're going to call me out on something can you please then elaborate on what you mean?

i really need a facepalm emote here because i need to repeat myself constantly out here.

let me say this so even you can understand.
    there is a preview window, this window doesn't work right.
    you like it better, i like it better.
    i suggest a zoom function, you don't listen.

understand now?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

I asked you this:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

i really need a facepalm emote here because i need to repeat myself constantly out here.

let me say this so even you can understand.
    there is a preview window, this window doesn't work right.
    you like it better, i like it better.
    i suggest a zoom function, you don't listen.

understand now?

You made it sound like there is a zoom function. Cause you said that you had a solution to my problem, but you clearly don't, you just had a suggestion that it would make it better? Is that what you're saying? If so, you have a really roundabout way of saying things like, yes a zoom function would help, but it's not in the game currently, so what, this was all just a misunderstanding? I was under the impression (and i think everyone else reading this was as well), that you were implying changing the resolution fixes the problem and makes the character fit the preview window. Then you posted screenshots to prove it, then you implied there's a zoom function, and now you're saying you only said that if they implement a zoom function that it would solve the issue...

Man, this conversation is all over the place.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Been a complaint since release, especially on "big" characters. I have no clue who tested this before the game came out, but they did a lousy job on not including a zoom or window-resize option.

• Fuchslein.8639Fuchslein.8639 Member ✭✭✭

For me, the whole trading post, especially the Gem-store is "bugged".
    Before I get a preview displayed, it takes forever, because the individual tabs take forever ... I prefer to look at everything in the wardrobe or online if anet has once again missed to update the first.

So yes, in general, the Gemshop can use a general overhaul ...

edited 12:17AM

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    Been a complaint since release, especially on "big" characters. I have no clue who tested this before the game came out, but they did a lousy job on not including a zoom or window-resize option.

Yup! I mean, someone had to test this before rolling it out, were they just "hey like, 50% of the characters don't even fit the window, my work here is done" or "meh, good enough to sell our stuff for real money to paying customers"* and called it a day? It's baffling how this even made the first cut let alone stayed that for this long.

Actually, i kinda get why it stayed like that, they did have a lot of new content rolled out, and TOOONS of problems to address down the line, but i can't believe no one at any point thought, hey maybe we should make the buying experience a bit better for the customers?

Especially since:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:
    For me, the whole trading post, especially the Gem-store is "bugged".
    Before I get a preview displayed, it takes forever, because the individual tabs take forever ... I prefer to look at everything in the wardrobe or online if anet has once again missed to update the first.

So yes, in general, the Gemshop can use a general overhaul ...

This! The gem store is lagging so bad, that i don't want to even browse it most of the time.
    But i have to every time i wanna search the trading post, the sneaky cats!
    Takes forever to load, you get no feedback if you clicked anything, making it so that you click more than you wanted, and the store just goes balistic after that (because the clicks "linger" and click after the page changes potentially clicking on something else entirely), like, it's a complete mess!

And ok, i'm not the big spender here, i buy gems but mostly for convenience items and Living Story, but you know, maybe sometimes i'd like a skin or something, but the gem store is giving me anxiety every time i have to go there.

• Pacificterror.7805Pacificterror.7805 Member ✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:
    Well, we don't know how hard it would be to fix or how much development resources would be required to address it. It could be a lot more than we expect since much of GW2 is built on the old, spaghetti code.

It seems like this gets said whenever there's a bug, feature that's functioning poorly, etc. It makes it sound like after the next expansion comes out the game's back end is due for an overhaul since seemingly every gripe a player could have is held back by it lol.

edited 1:10AM

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

It seems like this gets said whenever there's a bug, feature that's functioning poorly, etc. It makes it sound like after the next expansion comes out the game's back end is due for an overhaul since seemingly every gripe a player could have is held back by it lol.

Well to be honest, the game could use an overhaul... Not only for stuff like this, but general performance too.
    But yeah, i won't say always, but a lot of times someone has a gripe with something, there's usually an argument that either *the code is spaghetti and you can't make a simple change" or "i'd rather they work on X feature"...

At which point - if the code really is sphagetti, then the time is now to re-do it otherwise it'll just get more and more tangled until you get an unfixable major problem that will ultimately be the downfall of the game.

My suggestion for Anet is - release the xpac, then fix the game code. Detalis matter a lot, and i think we can all wait a bit for new content after the xpac until the game is stable. I mean it's 8 years old and people with ray tracing graphics card are complaining that it doesn't run stable, like, this shouldn't be happening... It'll future proof the game in the long run.

Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Very.
    Casual.

• Pacificterror.7805Pacificterror.7805 Member ✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:
    Re-doing the code would be starting from scratch. Not sure you guys would want no work on GW2 for the next 2-4 years. Anet would probably go out of business with no revenue during that time.

Other games do it without content suffering, not sure why GW2 wouldn't be able to accomplish it when it sounds like it'd help resolve so many issues ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It seems to be a common theme on threads here - people making up reasons why things can't get better or making up excuses for as to why things have not already improved.

• Joote.4081Joote.4081 Member ✭✭✭

I don't like after buying a vanity kit I am left to design my character via that little low rez box. A lot of the time I think they look good but when I view those changes in the game world they are sometimes a mess.