Icebrood Saga Champions New patch 3/9/2021 SPOILER!

dontlook.1823

The storytelling was really good. I liked how we could really get into the works of what the new Primordious champion was thinking and doing. This was done really well and exceeded my expectations. I, honestly, thought we were gonna be left on a cliffhanger but there he was in the Fireheart Rise DRM, and whoosh he jumped away. How stinking cool? You can already tell what he planned has worked (for now) by his command - Kill Ice, Kill Ice. I am interested to see how this dynamic works out. I also, teared up a bit once I realized what was going on. I thought... We lost Braham.. After this, he may not be with us. And if he is with us, he may be disconnected from everyone. Will he die if we kill Primordious? Will he forever be deranged with dragon magic? Or will he overcome what he has done and return to normal. Now, that is good storytelling. When you have your audience constantly foreshadowing events to come and how it will impact your character path. The Tengu was also a really nice touch. Their structure is somewhat looking like buildings in Cantha, therefore, giving just a taste of what's to come in the expansion. I do think it would be nice if the GW2 team released a battle tonic that transforms the user into a Tengu where it retains all your combat abilities. I think this will put an end to the whole "Tengu as a playable race thing." Which as a veteran player, I get really annoyed with. Like, why would you wanna play a race that literally stood by idle for legitimately everything that happened to Tyria in GW2 thus far? Makes no sense. Overall, great job, Anet. I know the past couple of years has not been without their frustrations (no significant balance patch>:( ) but I think what you've accomplished the last couple of years has made a significant and lasting impact on your player base. It shows that even through adversity the team can still overcome. And release an expansion to boot! Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to the final chapter and just exactly how the Cantha story will unfold. (ooOoOo, will the Tengu direct us to Cantha in order to restore balance to the world after these dragons are gone thus redeeming their passive status as of now?) That could go on and on. But when we get there, I am sure it will not disappoint.

!!!!!!!!!

So, please feel free to leave comments you may have on this specific chapter of Icebrood Sage. What you thought about the details of the story and how things are shaping up. I'd love to see what you guys think and where we could maybe brainstorm the plot to go. Cheers!

To be honest, i hoped that the whole "Primordus is just a wild beast, so it's no use to try to talk to him" was just another one of Jormag's lies, one told to prevent us from trying to reach a different ending than the one the ice dragon wants. But nope, it's true. Primordus really is the only elder dragon who's like a brainless animal. Bummer. And then Braham became his champion just like that. Because HE decided it. Shouldn't you need.... i don't know..... the consent of the dragon to become a champion? The way it went it feels more like it was Primordus to become Braham's champion and not the other way around. Maybe that was done intentionally to show that, since Primordus is the polar opposite of Jormag, even the way the bond between the dragon and the champion works is reversed. But it feels..... weird.

Poor Primordus, seems like Anet really hates him for some reason. Fist he takes a one sided beating from a fallen god, than he gets knocked out by the machine made by an asuran teenager, and now a norn dude shows up all of a sudden and makes himself his champion in order to "lead him to his last fight", like he's a dog on a leash. Oh, dragon of fire and conflagration, why are you so mistreated? :/

It was another lacklustre episode and to be honest exactly as ex[ected given the last 2 releases. It wasn't awful, but it was a headlong rush through quick plot points to tick as many things off as possible. Whilst it was fun to see a hulked out corrupted Braham, it wasn't something that also made a lot of sense.

I also notice - and I am undecided how I feel about it yet - this was not a story about us. Our only involvement was to join a wider group invloved in dispatching incursions. It was all about about others. Now, that can be a good thing, I'm just undecided yet whether it is something that worked.

Again, no mention of how 2 ED's killing each other is meant to be cataclysmic. This seems to have been completely removed the story without explanation or even referring back to it - esp given the importance put on it for years. It needs more than Jormag saying "it's all a myth". Why exactly did we stop Balthazar killing Jormag and Primordus in LS3 again? And then devoted an entire expac to stopping Kralk from dying?

Braham's mission was about as dull as it gets despite the background it was set against, compounded by having that horrible blue blubble round the character to distract and block the view. I really will never understand why visual noise is just not taken seriously by the team and why they add things in like this which are not necessary despite all the feedback. A soft aura or a just a boon would have sufficed. We can all imagine a blue bubble if we need to

The DRM's were decent enough, but I have no incl;ination to repeat them for fun

The new VA for Canach hasn't really captured the unique character and instead settled for a more bland approach. Hopefully with time that will change and the actor can restore the character's personality.

So yeah, it was OK I guess. Nothing special, nothing disastrous. Way below what they are capable of - or at least used to be capable of. Primordus being more like the primal forces of nature is interesting to me and a decent foil to Jormag who they continue to layer an extra dimension to

I just hope we don't see the two dragons killed off next CHapter. For me, that is worst case scenario

@Sir Alric.5078 said:And then Braham became his champion just like that. Because HE decided it. Shouldn't you need.... i don't know..... the consent of the dragon to become a champion? The way it went it feels more like it was Primordus to become Braham's champion and not the other way around.

That's a good summary of the issue in my opinion

@"Sir Alric.5078" said:To be honest, i hoped that the whole "Primordus is just a wild beast, so it's no use to try to talk to him" was just another one of Jormag's lies, one told to prevent us from trying to reach a different ending than the one the ice dragon wants. But nope, it's true. Primordus really is the only elder dragon who's like a brainless animal. Bummer. And then Braham became his champion just like that. Because HE decided it. Shouldn't you need.... i don't know..... the consent of the dragon to become a champion? The way it went it feels more like it was Primordus to become Braham's champion and not the other way around. Maybe that was done intentionally to show that, since Primordus is the polar opposite of Jormag, even the way the bond between the dragon and the champion works is reversed. But it feels..... weird.

Poor Primordus, seems like Anet really hates him for some reason. Fist he takes a one sided beating from a fallen god, than he gets knocked out by the machine made by an asuran teenager, and now a norn dude shows up all of a sudden and makes himself his champion in order to "lead him to his last fight", like he's a dog on a leash. Oh, dragon of fire and conflagration, why are you so mistreated? :/

While all your points are valid. I would like to offer my opinion. See, the dragons we are currently up against are twins. Jormag being the more brainy, manipulative one. While Primordius is the more reactive, short-tempered, and impulsive one. Let's not forget, Primordious is the whole reason DRMs started. He hit panic mode and sensed his brother's power, therefore, effectively launching his assault. While not as strategic as his brother, Jormag, Primordious still managed to launch full-scale attacks on areas in the game that we as a community have grown to love. To say he was neglected falls a bit short. Especially, since his story is just now unfolding. He, like Jormag, now has a champion and is no longer "brainless and wild." It makes very good sense that a fire dragon would be so reckless when compared to his icy counterpart.

I think Primordius being able to think and have a semblance of consciousness makes him all the more volatile and dangerous. Can't wait to see what's to come.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Sir Alric.5078 said:And then Braham became his champion just like that. Because HE decided it. Shouldn't you need.... i don't know..... the consent of the dragon to become a champion? The way it went it feels more like it was Primordus to become Braham's champion and not the other way around.

That's a good summary of the issue in my opinion

Well, I would imagine something so wild would get a taste for power and be easily manipulated into taken that power on. Initially, that's how it was set up. Braham's spirits made way into him almost getting devoured. Primordious wants collateral damage. So he took Braham. He deserves a bit more credit than given.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:I think the worst thing to happen to Primordus is gaining Braham as a champion. Who wants a champion that wants to go sulk in the corner.

You know, it's funny how a lot of people say that. I've always been deeply connected to Braham. He lost his mother... I lost my father. Losing a parent is really hard. Like really, really, hard. Few understand it and those who do are the ones that lost them. Grief is a terribly complicated thing to portray and I think Anet is doing a fine job. You know he has so much on his shoulders. The looming danger of Jormag a dragon that legends tells killed a lot of the Norn... I, as the only boy in my family, had to sort of man up and really take matters into my own hands at a young age. Something that Braham is doing to the best of his ability.

@dontlook.1823 said:

@DarcShriek.5829 said:I think the worst thing to happen to Primordus is gaining Braham as a champion. Who wants a champion that wants to go sulk in the corner.

You know, it's funny how a lot of people say that. I've always been deeply connected to Braham. He lost his mother... I lost my father. Losing a parent is really hard. Like really, really, hard. Few understand it and those who do are the ones that lost them. Grief is a terribly complicated thing to portray and I think Anet is doing a fine job. You know he has so much on his shoulders. The looming danger of Jormag a dragon that legends tells killed a lot of the Norn... I, as the only boy in my family, had to sort of man up and really take matters into my own hands at a young age. Something that Braham is doing to the best of his ability.

Having lost both my parents, I understand the situation and don't need to be lectured to. However, Braham was a pain in the butt even before losing his mother.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Again, no mention of how 2 ED's killing each other is meant to be cataclysmic. This seems to have been completely removed the story without explanation or even referring back to it - esp given the importance put on it for years. It needs more than Jormag saying "it's all a myth".Right. Especially since it was decidedly NOT a myth. It was not an old legend or another prophecy whatever, but a discovery Taimi made with science and unexpectedly. And we saw the effects of the destabilization.

Yes, there could still be the option that Aurene is even more special than we thought and she can somehow replace all EDs. However, this is pure speculation, so far we don't have anything to back this except for wishful thinking, maybe. Just what are the characters thinking they are doing? How does this issue never come up?I mean, maybe Taimi's experimental setup was flawed or whatever, but shouldn't anyone look into this before we set up two EDs to kill each other without any replacement in sight...?

OTOH, if Braham has to die this season, I think the setup is pretty much alright this time. I'm still very much against anyone of the main team dying, but this it at least a little better than what happened to Trahearne and arguably Blish.

I find myself agreeing with Aurene more and more... She was right, we should have just stayed out of the IBS from the beginning. And yes, everyone is going crazy for some reason.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

Having lost both my parents, I understand the situation and don't need to be lectured to. However, Braham was a pain in the butt even before losing his mother.

I wasn't lecturing you, good sir. I was offering my insight. I did not know that. I still think they are handling him very well. But that is a matter of opinion, really. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. Plus, each character has its own dynamic. Braham is a Norn and is trying to make a name for himself, he wants to be a legend just like his mother. No wonder why he and the commander would clash quite a bit.

@"Randulf.7614" said:I just hope we don't see the two dragons killed off next CHapter. For me, that is worst case scenario

I don't think you have to fear for that. As soon as the logo for the next expac popped I had my theory of "it's going to be jormag vs primordus" and so far it still seems to look just like that. The faces look alike and the water theory. Well ice and fire makes water. Todays patch only seemed to confirm it more since the Tengu said they had the same appearances of attacks on the other side of the wall.

As for today's release. I found it boring and predictable (and DRM's getting tedious and the same copy pasta). Think I heard the vision of the past music re-used as well in the last 2 DRM. The story is getting so much downhill since I would say the 1st part of Bjora Marches.

I really thought we had hit rock bottom but no arena continues to dig to reach the earth's core

I really had the impression that the guild wars lore was humiliated from the beginning to the end of this chapter, it was really a torture to do ... the worst part is the mission with braham, I don't know if that was an April Fool's Day but primordius has really been slaughtered, it hurts. This poor dragon is controlled by braham ... BRAHAM papillon but there are still scriptwriter at arena or is it an option?The dialogues with the spirits of nature, I think that I have rarely seen such silly dialogues on the game, power ranges level ...Primordius is no longer credible to survive after this chapter, worst villain in the history of guild wars 2, he has absolutely no place on EOD and I hope he will be killed at the same time as Jormag to stop this deceptionand do not even speak of the 3 drm which return to the level of boredom of those of the first chapter: ridiculous bosses, poor mechanics

worst update since living story 1.If an expansion weren't in the process of being produced, I would think it's clearly the end of the game.

@radda.8920 said:I really thought we had hit rock bottom but no arena continues to dig to reach the earth's core

I really had the impression that the guild wars lore was humiliated from the beginning to the end of this chapter, it was really a torture to do ... the worst part is the mission with braham, I don't know if that was an April Fool's Day but primordius has really been slaughtered, it hurts. This poor dragon is controlled by braham ... BRAHAM papillon but there are still scriptwriter at arena or is it an option?The dialogues with the spirits of nature, I think that I have rarely seen such silly dialogues on the game, power ranges level ...Primordius is no longer credible to survive after this chapter, worst villain in the history of guild wars 2, he has absolutely no place on EOD and I hope he will be killed at the same time as Jormag to stop this deceptionand do not even speak of the 3 drm which return to the level of boredom of those of the first chapter: ridiculous bosses, poor mechanics

worst update since living story 1.If an expansion weren't in the process of being produced, I would think it's clearly the end of the game.

Okay, I get what you mean. But just to say, it was Braham's idea of becoming the Champion. The duties of the Champion are to carry out the dragon's orders. They are also like conduits for the Dragon. I just thought that as this unfolds, you find its working at first. But then Primodious takes over or realizes. You are suggesting that he is being easily Manipulated by Braham as his champion. While neither mine nor your story could be true due to the ambiguity of the details involved in the story, I think they alluded to Primordious having some control. Remember when Braham was hard to control? Then, he was finally able to break free? This could make for an interesting dynamic between the two or , as you suggested above, this could just be Braham clearcut manipulating the dragon just as Jormag manipulates his enemy. Could these two have more in common than we think?! HIS sworn enemey! Dun Dun Dun!

B)

@dontlook.1823 said:

@"radda.8920" said:I really thought we had hit rock bottom but no arena continues to dig to reach the earth's core

Okay, I get what you mean. But just to say, it was Braham's idea of becoming the Champion. The duties of the Champion are to carry out the dragon's orders. They are also like conduits for the Dragon. I just thought that as this unfolds, you find its working at first. But then Primodious takes over or realizes. You are suggesting that he is being easily Manipulated by Braham as his champion. While neither mine nor your story could be true due to the ambiguity of the details involved in the story, I think they alluded to Primordious having some control. Remember when Braham was hard to control? Then, he was finally able to break free? This could make for an interesting dynamic between the two or , as you suggested above, this could just be Braham
clearcut
manipulating the dragon just as Jormag manipulates his enemy. Could these two have more in common than we think?! HIS sworn enemey! Dun Dun Dun!

B)

up to now, primordius has only created minions from rock. For the Stone Summit dwarves, their corruption through ritual has also been made possible as they are composed of stone.when i see the former lieutenant of primordius on gw1:https://jolstatic.fr/www/captures/537/4/79294.jpg

to have braham as champion of primordius seems so ridiculous to me. I think the change with screenwriters after the massive layoffs at arena 2/3 years ago explains this poor script.And that's not the only thing that made me angry, I had already been angry when I saw that the dwarves of deldrimor were coming back with only 2 lines of dialogue and that we don't even talk about them anymore

I'm starting to be afraid of leaving a jewel like cantha in the hands of the new arena staff

i'll just tell myself that the primordius story was totally completed in gw1 eyes of the north which was much more thrilling and better executed than this horrible saga.i hope they will at least give us the opportunity to kill braham ourselves so that there is at least one positive point to this comedy.

@radda.8920 said:

@radda.8920 said:I really thought we had hit rock bottom but no arena continues to dig to reach the earth's core

Okay, I get what you mean. But just to say, it was Braham's idea of becoming the Champion. The duties of the Champion are to carry out the dragon's orders. They are also like conduits for the Dragon. I just thought that as this unfolds, you find its working at first. But then Primodious takes over or realizes. You are suggesting that he is being easily Manipulated by Braham as his champion. While neither mine nor your story could be true due to the ambiguity of the details involved in the story, I think they alluded to Primordious having some control. Remember when Braham was hard to control? Then, he was finally able to break free? This could make for an interesting dynamic between the two or , as you suggested above, this could just be Braham
clearcut
manipulating the dragon just as Jormag manipulates his enemy. Could these two have more in common than we think?! HIS sworn enemey! Dun Dun Dun!

B)

up to now, primordius has only created minions from rock. For the Stone Summit dwarves, their corruption through ritual has also been made possible as they are composed of stone.when i see the former lieutenant of primordius on gw1:

to have braham as champion of primordius seems so ridiculous to me. I think the change with screenwriters after the massive layoffs at arena 2/3 years ago explains this poor script.And that's not the only thing that made me angry, I had already been angry when I saw that the dwarves of deldrimor were coming back with only 2 lines of dialogue and that we don't even talk about them anymore

I'm starting to be afraid of leaving a jewel like cantha in the hands of the new arena staff

i'll just tell myself that the primordius story was totally completed in gw1 eyes of the north which was much more thrilling and better executed than this horrible saga.i hope they will at least give us the opportunity to kill braham ourselves so that there is at least one positive point to this comedy.

I didn’t really find EOTN overly compelling plot for an expansion. Was it garbage? No, but the story was pretty simple much like GW2, actually most the stories for Gw1 and Gw2 are very comparable. My guess is your remembering the plot with rose covered glasses.

@Tyson.5160 said:

clearcut

B)

up to now, primordius has only created minions from rock. For the Stone Summit dwarves, their corruption through ritual has also been made possible as they are composed of stone.when i see the former lieutenant of primordius on gw1:

I didn’t really find EOTN overly compelling plot for an expansion. Was it garbage? No, but the story was pretty simple much like GW2, actually most the stories for Gw1 and Gw2 are very comparable. My guess is your remembering the plot with rose covered glasses.

I do not agree at all when we took the time to complete all the campaigns AND all the side quests ( 600/700), the scenario was rather rich and interestingwhile the one of gw2 mainly boils down to a relentless loop of evil dragons.The only times when the scenario differs is during the arc: white mantle, lazarus, balthazar and joko. And all of these elements are also from gw1 and even that is misused.

until Living History 4 the script was bad but not disturbing or ridiculous either. We still felt the soul of guild wars and the attempt to stick to the universe.But since the beginning of this saga it is an absolute disaster and this chapter is just a shame.at least in eyes of the north, primordius had one destroyer army with elaborate designs. On gw2 it comes down to an army of crabs,harpy AND braham as a champion :sEven the dwarves of deldrimor, major elements in the fight against primordius, they found a way to bring them back without any element of lore. I was just in shock seeing that

And i didn't even mention the dialogue between aurene and jormag which can be summed up as: ''but jormag,that's not nice. to be mean!''. I sincerely think that a 10 year old child could make a better scenario, I have seen episodes of power rangers with a more elaborate script.

@Tyson.5160 said:

clearcut

B)

Yeah, most Gw1 stories boil down to „there‘s suddenly a new bad guy“. EOTN was the same with destroyers suddenly appearing, and the story is pretty much just finding allies against the destroyers.

@Raknar.4735 said:

clearcut

B)

Yeah, most Gw1 stories boil down to „there‘s suddenly a new bad guy“. EOTN was the same with destroyers suddenly appearing, and the story is pretty much just finding allies against the destroyers.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved me some GW1, but even that game, you noticed when places were left unfinished. Look at Prophecies in the southern Shiverpeaks, there was next to no content there, just a bunch of zones with mobs, that’s it.

The elder dragons were downgraded from "forces of nature" (you can not argue with a storm, a storm just happens) into gods some time ago (like gods from the Greek pantheon) that talk, fight, cheat, abuse, think, etc. like humans and now Primordus is further downgraded into a wild animal (that can be tamed) and Braham is the tamer with a little help from his Norn-god-buddies. It does not feel like good story writing.

@"radda.8920" said:i hope they will at least give us the opportunity to kill braham ourselves so that there is at least one positive point to this comedy.

Braham could "do a Trahearne stunt" at the end of the Saga. I think this would be a good solution to get rid of him before EoD. B)

@Zok.4956 said:

@"radda.8920" said:i hope they will at least give us the opportunity to kill braham ourselves so that there is at least one positive point to this comedy.

Braham could "do a Trahearne stunt" at the end of the Saga. I think this would be a good solution to get rid of him before EoD. B)

:o Nooooooooooooooooo

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:00 PM, dontlook.1823 said:

Losing a parent isn't unique.  Braham responded more like a human than a norn.  Eir's death should have been celebrated, not mourned.

• Like 2