[Poll] Weapon for the next Necromancer Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted mace, cause its a weapon that hasn't seen much love yet at all for specializations, so i think its time for an Elite Spec, that is focused on addign the mace for its core class.

Mace makes sense for the Necromancer as some kind of shamanic, warlock/ ritualist based spec that could use the mace in a semi melee, semi magic ranged based way as some kind of hybrid midrange weapon practically, while bringign back basically as ritualist the Ash Urns as gameplay and Weapon Spells to enchant equipment (as also new Armor Spells) with the powers of mighty Souls and Demons, callign it the "Occultist", whos also able to summon throug hte Ash urns new Spirit/Demon Minions and by sacrificign them also to turn self into a Half Demon thats able to use Demon Skills while using the "Demonic Veil" as its Shroud Mechanic

But instead of Mace, which was no chooseable option, id liek to see a Necro Spec also especially usign the Spear as Polearm Weapon for such a kind of new E-Spec, or Chakrams, especialyl chakrams as a new weapon type with some kind of "Dreamcatcher" design for a weapon skin :3 to catch in souls with them ^^

Probably going very against the grain here, but I'd like to see a single-target, 1200 range condi weapon for necro. Picked rifle since that is a little bit unorthodox (rifles are usually power), I love the asura rifle idle stance/animations, and I really want to see necro with some type of firearm. I know a lot of people hate condi here, but the way I see it, if you keep pushing for another power weapon ANet will never fix the glaring issues with the existing ones. Full disclosure, though - I do prefer condi playstyles to power ones; I like to disengage and just watch NPCs die as they try to run towards me and attack after I've dropped some condis on them.

Also, I'd just like a 1200 range weapon that isn't the most boring weapon in the entire game - necro staff.

@Dadnir.5038 said:I just can't chose anything else than a meme off-hand axe.Why? Because I believe that I will be worth it to see what they could end up doing with another axe trait.

I thought the Same thing, but I actually do want a Sword, so we can have a Real Power Weapon, and an Offhand Weapon means a support class, and that also means likely not good for Axe since Spite is not support.... We already have the Dagger Mainhand for BloodMagic. Give us a Sword, Power spec with 1200 Range....

@Meetshield.1756 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:I just can't chose anything else than a meme off-hand axe.Why? Because I believe that I will be worth it to see what they could end up doing with another axe trait.

I thought the Same thing, but I actually do want a Sword, so we can have a Real Power Weapon, and an Offhand Weapon means a support class, and that also means likely not good for Axe since Spite is not support.... We already have the Dagger Mainhand for BloodMagic. Give us a Sword, Power spec with 1200 Range....

I find Berserker as an e-spec was quite offensive, yet he got an off hand weapon. There is always exceptions and since the necromancer is a walking exception...

So, since many wants a class without a defensive shroud... then shield.Skill 4 a parry that doesn't parry, just a LF sponge with pulsing stability and aoe blind around you;Skill 5 the portal attack of Stavemaster Adryn ;)Shrould totally centered on the weapons: a looong dagger (dagger) / scythe (staff) / Kusarigama (axe/scepter)Maybe dark versions of the guardian meditations (with a very good self heal)...Of course you also need other defences, so with minor traits you get shadowstep dodges that give protection + vigor (1st one) and break stun + remove an impairing condition (2nd one); major traits with condi / power / defence abilities...Nah, never mind, maybe I'm asking too much...

• 4 weeks later...

Getting tired of Sword on other specs.

I'm tempted to say I want a hammer, but I think it's time we had a new MH weapon with proper cleave.

The question is what niche should it be? I think since Reaper is Bulky Power DPS, and Scourge is Support (if anet balances it properly), the next spec should thus' be very condi-based with lots of cc and confusion.

When I think Hammer/Mace in GW2, I think lots of CC and controlling the enemy. There for, I think this is a perfect opportunity to bring back the curses Necromancer from GW1. Give us hexes that do more indirect damage, while using Hammer/Mace to pressure enemies into doing punishable actions.

Hex Ideas:

Spiteful Spirit: Apply 2 stacks of Confusion for 10 seconds. For 10 seconds, each time target foe attacks, confusion deals damage to nearby foes.

Icy Veins: For 20 seconds, if target foe is killed, all nearby foes suffer from Chill and Torment.

Barbs: For 15 seconds, each time target foe is struck by an attack, they suffer 1 second of bleed for 1 second.

Defile Defenses: For 10 seconds, the next time target foe blocks an attack, they suffer from torment.

Weaken Knees: For 10 seconds, torment deals double damage to stationary foes.

Mace/Hammer skill ideas:

Autoattack: Generic auto which applies confusion and torment. (Fuels Spiteful Spirit and Weaken Knees)

Terrifying Guard: Block a single attack for 3 seconds. If you are hit, apply confusion to nearby foes. Otherwise apply torment and fear to nearby foes. (Synergizes with Spiteful Spirit to punish foes who attack a lot, while Fear+Torment punishes foes who hesitate.)

The catch is that Hexes will be treated as conditions, and removed by condition removal skills. This allows them to have some counterplay. Furthermore, due to their powerful effects, they should be treated as utility skills which consume Life Force.

We already got teased with Desmina that we get a hammer. As expected. It's only natural to give necro hammer since there is NPC necro in gw1 wearing one! Respect tradition. That means we already have 2 NPCs wearing hammers, same like we had 2 npc necros wearing gs before HoT.

Torch, focus, or war horn on main hand would work.

MH torch could be a hybrid power/condi weapon dropping fire fields but no bleeds.

MH focus could be an AoE utility weapon offering 100% weakness and 50% chill up time along with reflect, protection, and high LF generation.

MH war horn could be a "dark boon" generator giving AoE fury, might, slow, and fear at the expense of dps.

There are so many ways to improve Necro without increasing dps or trading it for group sustain that I have to conclude the developers just pick one thing and drop everything out of scope.

Sourge was a big step but no other issues were addressed.

I voted sword, it's missing a melee condition damage weapon. PoF fixed a lot of holes like that (Mesmer got its missing melee condition damage weapon, Revenant did too with its ranged option in the shortbow). We've had (supposed) power and support specs, but I guess the jury is out on whether either turned out that way with Reaper being used for one trait on condition damage builds and barrier just being something that randomly happens when you cDPS as a Scourge lol.

I'm not surprised at the popularity of the sword. It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing weapons of all time. And there is a certain romanticism to it as well. My personal opinion on swords is that they're kinda boring, but i'm also kinda of hipstery in a way. I really like Axes... I just wish our current axe wasn't so awful.

Hammers? I'm not really sure how that would work, but I could get behind it if it was presented to me in a way that really worked with the necromancer's theme. Swords fit everything. Which is why i'm not really a fan of them. Maces would be awesome and I do love maces.

As for the shield? I really like the idea of summoning a bone aura that blocks X number off attacks and spawns some sort of bone horror for each attack blocked. Or using its turn over skill to apply that aura to allies without the minions. Something unique with bone walls or cages. Something along those lines. But maybe I'm strange in that regard.

Shield. The reason why is a little wierd, though, because I would really like a Necromancer Elite specialization that focuses on the actual role of Necromancers in Tyrian society: caretakers and guides of the dead, including funerary rites. Now, Torch is the best choice to represent this, but Scourge already has it. The next best one is Shield, reminiscent of a tombstone or tomb door, possibly carrying the last rites for their ceremonies inscribed on the inside.

in all honestly it sounds stupid but shield neco has no true defensive tools and adding that alone would invite a true new playstyle that has yet to be seen on necro.

My only other suggestion is honestly perhaps offhand axe but then that leaves us with 2 skills for an axe and i cant think of anything other than things similar to revenants axe.

I dont trust anet well enough to do a Sword properly without making it goofy, buggy, and non synergetic as the only good sword in the game currently is thief and its had years after years to make it decent.Warrior sword is flop (press 2 to jump)Weaver word is partly flopped its got a 50/50 love hate (some people like it but from what i hear most people hate it)Holo sword is goofy flop (skills are over thought and not simplistic enough)Ranger sword is ok now but use to be a massive flop (took some time to fix this goofy thing)Revent sword is ok but still fops every now and again. (skills still bug some times animations are odd on some races)SO NOT A SWORD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Other weapons that are ok on most professions but would be crap due to being slower than all other professions using those weaponsHammers (anet would make this slower than it is on every other profession making it damn near unusable)Maces (slow and probably too weak to make any use of it not to mention it requires you to get into melee range as slow caster with no invuln, vigor, or blocks )Short bow (Honestly this could work but i couldnt think of how the heck it would work)Long Bow ( This probably would be too slow and not even do the dps that dragon hunter long bow does ore give the utility that warrior long bow gives. We already have so many ranged tools anyways )Any kind of firearm (too slow too buggy really makes no sense on necro i dont know how they would do it)

Core necro weapons are a burning landfill of conflicting, boring designs, and anet doesn't clean up their messes. No main/off-hand weapon will be a good addition to a janky mess of unfocused concepts. It would have to be a two-hander if you want a comprehensive weapon bar set for a new spec.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/20226/deadringer-elite-specialization-concept