Gems as drops?

On 5/12/2021 at 4:48 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Are we trying to make a free to play game more free-er?  Some threads are asking for more ways to give Anet money (subscription) whereas this one seems to want Anet to pay us to play?

With the recent quality of the game, this is a reasonable request.

• Confused 2

With so many replies, I'm sure someone already said this, but here it goes.

Gems are ANet's main revenue other than xpacs, and besides, they're ready tradeable using gold.

You are asking a dev company to give up their main source of income, just because you might be too stingy to buy some gems?

To say this in the nicest way possible, do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Just farm gold and trade in/exchange them for gems.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Not a very practical (or profitable) business model.  Sure, let's ask Anet to pay us to play their game and then cry when the company goes out of business.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I'm not even going to discuss the validity of your "recent quality of the game" opinion, instead lets just consider it as an objective truth for the sake of you having an argument at all:

Lower quality of the releases might hint at a studio/game struggling, which is most probably directly connected to the lower profit the game makes. According to you, the answer to those -possibly- lower profits is... giving away free gems, which is pretty much one of main (or rather THE main) sources of income. So going from here, explain how exactly this is "a reasonable request"?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:

It would be awesome if anet would include a gem drop along the same frequency as ascended drops. Maybe a hundred gem chest?

Hot Take:

This isn't as bad an idea as the people dog piling on you might think. While the drop rate you are suggesting isn't super wise, I think a drop rate similar to that of Black Lion Keys for a 100 Gem chest isnt a terrible idea.

Most games with MT currencies are far more generous with handing them over as in game rewards and it doesn't drive them broke. It is a proven method of onboarding people into cash shops.
I know if I had spent all my Gems and had 100 of them suddenly drop I sure would be more likely to open up the Gemstore, see what was there and potentially spend a few dollars  to top up my balance if there was something I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Most games with MT currencies are far more generous with handing them over as in game rewards 

ANet gives MT currency with every single monster drop. Which other games gives MT currency at greater than 100% rate?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Hot Take:

This isn't as bad an idea as the people dog piling on you might think. While the drop rate you are suggesting isn't super wise, I think a drop rate similar to that of Black Lion Keys for a 100 Gem chest isnt a terrible idea.

Most games with MT currencies are far more generous with handing them over as in game rewards and it doesn't drive them broke. It is a proven method of onboarding people into cash shops.
I know if I had spent all my Gems and had 100 of them suddenly drop I sure would be more likely to open up the Gemstore, see what was there and potentially spend a few dollars  to top up my balance if there was something I wanted.

The thing is, with 100gems they would currently give the players something valuable right away.The keys are to 99% only crap with which Anet makes absolutely no loss but only a gimmick to pretend players a generosity.
I think you can't compare that.
But I would not find it bad. I mean, how often does the otto-normal player drop ascended things or even keys. I think I have in my years of playing get 3 Ascended chests in the OpenWorld/WVW and maybe 4 keys or so and I'm still on the lucky side in my friends list with this rate.

10 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

The thing is, with 100gems they would currently give the players something valuable right away.The keys are to 99% only crap with which Anet makes absolutely no loss but only a gimmick to pretend players a generosity.
I think you can't compare that.
But I would not find it bad. I mean, how often does the otto-normal player drop ascended things or even keys. I think I have in my years of playing get 3 Ascended chests in the OpenWorld/WVW and maybe 4 keys or so and I'm still on the lucky side in my friends list with this rate.

i drop like 5-6 ascend piece by week.

Yes it's not in openworld but it's still a ingame activity that everyone can do if they try (not just ultra rare rng) and still count (fractals cms and raids)

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

i drop like 5-6 ascend piece by week.

Yes it's not in openworld but it's still a ingame activity that everyone can do if they try (not just ultra rare rng) and still count (fractals cms and raids)

Ehrm ... okay, thanks for this input which has absolutely nothing to do with my contribution as you wrote yourself ^^''. I've already forgotten how discussions work here, thanks for the reminder :''D.

8 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Ehrm ... okay, thanks for this input which has absolutely nothing to do with my contribution as you wrote yourself ^^''. I've already forgotten how discussions work here, thanks for the reminder :''D.

and ? it's not because you don't play the gamemodes where the ascended is really needed and that drop it that areanet don't reward it.

ok for infusion but you can't say areanet don't give ascended.

You can get so much ascended trinkets easely in openworld, lot of weapons in raids, lot of armors in fractals cms and quite a lot in openworld achivement of all ascended gears.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

and ? it's not because you don't play the gamemodes where the ascended is really needed and that drop it that areanet don't reward it.

ok for infusion but you can't say areanet don't give ascended.

You can get so much ascended trinkets easely in openworld, lot of weapons in raids, lot of armors in fractals cms and quite a lot in openworld achivement of all ascended gears.

Are you sure you are in the right thread? Are you confusing me with someone else?
We are talking about whether it would make sense to add a 100gem drop that is as rare as asc or key drops in open world oo.

9 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Any game that allows you to resell cash shop items on this in game market.

So like... lots of them

Honest question here, they allow selling the cash shop items for their real money purchased currencies?

Even so, if those cash shop items come from the cash shop, it is not the same as giving the cash shop currency for free with (essentially) every monster drop. Even so, I responded to a post claiming that other games give real money purchased currency as a drop  greater than 100% of the time. How do these other games you mention managed to give something greater than 100% of the time?

5 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Are you sure you are in the right thread? Are you confusing me with someone else?
We are talking about whether it would make sense to add a 100gem drop that is as rare as asc or key drops in open world oo.

Read Op again they dident specifiy open world just that it would drop so would affect the whole game.

19 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Read Op again they dident specifiy open world just that it would drop so would affect the whole game.

I didn't answer the op ^^.

The suggestion was spun further. I responded to it because it seemed more reasonable to me than the OP's idea. Is that not allowed?

Edited by Fuchslein.8639