No Option to Disable Whispers from Non-Friends?

You can block anyone, but I shouldn't have to read a stranger's comments in a private message in the first place. I mean, we don't walk around in real life with our contact information floating above our heads, so why should we in-game? You can set yourself to invisible, but then it looks like you're ignoring friends. This seems like an obvious feature to include.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Clyde.5178 said:

You can block anyone, but I shouldn't have to read a stranger's comments in a private message in the first place. I mean, we don't walk around in real life with our contact information floating above our heads, so why should we in-game? You can set yourself to invisible, but then it looks like you're ignoring friends. This seems like an obvious feature to include.

It’s actually not, sorta the antithesis of the MMO aspect. Not a lot of other games have an ignore non-friends option either. WoW has 3rd party addons to do it but... you know Anet and addons.

You can always make a guild with friends, go invisible and still talk in guild chat, or make a party? 

I think the problem is a little more nuanced than whats in your post? If it was harassment report/ignore... or just ignore. If it was anything outside of actual harassment then maybe the problem has less to do with a chat function and maybe more so to do with your disposition. Kind of hard to find a work around with little to no context.

Edited by Clex Mix.7624

I've always found it hilarious how people can hear us within a reasonable range when we "say" things, but we can "whisper" to people across the universe.
Whisper should have a limited range imo and what is currently called whisper should be renamed. /phone, simply /@ or something like that. Giving the latter an option to be ignored from non-friends could then be done without disturbing any of the socializing aspects.
Not a big issue, but I do find it weird how the communication system never seems to be questioned by any MMO.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Malitias.8453 said:

I've always found it hilarious how people can hear us within a reasonable range when we "say" things, but we can "whisper" to people across the universe.
Whisper should have a limited range imo and what is currently called whisper should be renamed. /phone, simply /@ or something like that. Giving the latter an option to be ignored from non-friends could then be done without disturbing any of the socializing aspects.
Not a big issue, but I do find it weird how the communication system never seems to be questioned by any MMO.

Uh what?

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

If it was harassment report/ignore... or just ignore.

6 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If said whisper was inappropriate, report and block. 

Yes, block exists, but what I'm suggesting would preemptively stop harassment from strangers.

If it was anything outside of actual harassment then maybe the problem has less to do with a chat function and maybe more so to do with your disposition.

I don't think it's unusual to want to opt out of unsolicited private messages.

Kind of hard to find a work around with little to no context.

I'm not asking for a work around, I'm making a very specific suggestion.

• Like 1

You don't walk around irl with your contant info above your head, but anyone you come across can very easily just start talking to you - you can choose to respond or ignore them, just as you can with in-game whispers. If you don't want to talk to the person, just don't reply, tell them you don't want to talk to them, or block them if they're being unpleasant. It's uncomfortable when this happens but it's not really a common occurrence (unless you're chatting a lot in public chats (map/team) or performing badly in group content (let's face it, people can be kittens, but that's why you can block people)).

An opt-out system isn't necessarily bad, but it's probably hard to implement (esp with how the friend system works in this game - you can add someone without them adding you rather than a traditional friend request) and probably just not worth the trouble when there's already so many things you can do about unwanted chatter (going offline, party with friends, ignoring, blocking).

8 hours ago, Malitias.8453 said:

How about... no? We should be able to message anyone from anywhere if we want to chat to them. I play this game because I enjoy playing it with others, and chatting to them, putting some "you can only chat whilst in this arbitrary range of each other" kinda defeats the point of that. If you're looking for realism, perhaps a fantasy game isn't the best place to find it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clyde.5178 said:

Yes, block exists, but what I'm suggesting would preemptively stop harassment from strangers.

I don't think it's unusual to want to opt out of unsolicited private messages.

I'm not asking for a work around, I'm making a very specific suggestion.

Then my suggestion for you is to stop playing any online games, don’t go outside just in case someone says “hello” or “how’s it going”, ditch the phones because scam callers will call no matter what theses days, earmuffs or noise canceling headphones for the times you just have to go outside otherwise get food and groceries delivered and leave a note on your door to just leave them there oh and not to knock... what else... oh work from home but tell your boss they aren’t allowed to check in on your progress about anything and that you’ll solicit the info when it suits you... 

im running out of ideas

But honestly you’re posting on a public forum where anyone can respond... I can’t tell if you’re trolling or actually serious. It’s a little baffling really when you’re playing and MMO and using a public forum, why someone sending an ingame message affects you to the point you need to ignore everyone

Edited by Clex Mix.7624
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

How about... no? We should be able to message anyone from anywhere if we want to chat to them. I play this game because I enjoy playing it with others, and chatting to them, putting some "you can only chat whilst in this arbitrary range of each other" kinda defeats the point of that. If you're looking for realism, perhaps a fantasy game isn't the best place to find it.

Yo, relax. I said I find the naming of the mechanic weird. Whispering. Across the whole continent. Seems weird. Fantasy or not.
I never said you shouldn't be able to talk to other players via direct messages. How is splitting up the "whisper" mechanic into 2 chat commands a hinderance to your social experience? Unless you're desperate to talk to people who don't want to be bothered, it's not.

• Confused 1

Personally I don't see a reason why this isn't an option that is off by default.  I could see this as something parents might want for kids playing, or for people playing that just don't like people.

Personally I use it to ask someone about a skin they have, so it does have real world applications, but I can fully understand why people might want this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MokahTGS.7850 said:

Personally I don't see a reason why this isn't an option that is off by default.  I could see this as something parents might want for kids playing, or for people playing that just don't like people.

Personally I use it to ask someone about a skin they have, so it does have real world applications, but I can fully understand why people might want this.

I think devs don’t think about kids playing it unattended as well as  playing without filters.

Its a common option to just appear offline as well. But I would refer to the above, parents need to keep an eye on kids.

10 hours ago, Clyde.5178 said:

How often do you get pms from complete strangers that this is somehow a problem that needs a permanent "total" solution?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Clyde.5178 said:

I mean, we don't walk around in real life with our contact information floating above our heads

You are totally correct, it is a lot worse.

There is always a chance to read/hear/see/feel something you disapprove. This begins with your first breath and ends with your death. You can isolate yourself as much as you please, but you cannot force everyone else to do the same, just to respect your understanding of privacy. Humans are social beings who need the interaction among their own kind to live and survive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be fine with this change. Being able to shut off party, squad, and guild invitations from strangers would also be a welcome improvement. Iirc, free accounts can only whisper mutual friends and mentor tagged players, so some form of this already exists in the game. Just expand it as a choice for anyone who wants it.

I'm glad so many people in this thread have never been solicited by predators, spammed out by bots and bad actors, or harangued by a chump with a commander tag who can't take no for an answer, but the reality is that people abuse the communication systems in this game a ton, and a lot of it could be easily resolved/prevented with customization like the OP suggests. I actually think it's a little embarrassing how many QoL options are missing from the contacts panel - whisper preferences being one of them, but the inadequate block feature and clunky note-adding function as well.

The whole thing is due for a tune-up. I won't hold my breath, but it sure would be nice. Maybe it'll be added in with alliances. 🙃

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'd be fine with this change. Being able to shut off party, squad, and guild invitations from strangers would also be a welcome improvement. Iirc, free accounts can only whisper mutual friends and mentor tagged players, so some form of this already exists in the game. Just expand it as a choice for anyone who wants it.

I'm glad so many people in this thread have never been solicited by predators, spammed out by bots and bad actors, or harangued by a chump with a commander tag who can't take no for an answer, but the reality is that people abuse the communication systems in this game a ton, and a lot of it could be easily resolved/prevented with customization like the OP suggests. I actually think it's a little embarrassing how many QoL options are missing from the contacts panel - whisper preferences being one of them, but the inadequate block feature and clunky note-adding function as well.

The whole thing is due for a tune-up. I won't hold my breath, but it sure would be nice. Maybe it'll be added in with alliances. 🙃

Just so you know that commander might not have invited you at all, if its free for invite.

Anyone in the squad might have done so and could have been a different one everytime.

You only see the commanders name each attempt since its their squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Clyde.5178 said:

I wouldn't mind this feature, but I don't like your justification XD, cause anyone could walk up to you irl and "whisper" something between you and whomever only a, i mean technically not everything needs a reasoning as to why anyways, cause if you don't want to interact privately with people you don't know you just don't want to right..

Having those bothersome whispers where someone dares to attempt communication with your royal self is just one of those unfortunate features that must simply be tolerated when playing a massively multiplayer role playing game, OP. Terribly sorry.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Um what makes you feel this is a problem first off? Or that it’s specific to this game? 

If “predators” are stalking you or anyone for that matter, maybe possibly don’t put yourself in a position where some rando on an online game is going to know anything about you. Because that’s not a Guild Wars thing... that’s an Internet thing. 

Ive played this game off and on for 9 years, not a single bot has spammed my chat, 300gold does not mean a commander is worth following or listening to, and as far for unwanted attention I mean, no offense, but it kind of comes down to you a bit as well. If you’re one of those that sit there in Divinity’s Reach putting yourself out there a bit more than others... it’s the internet. 

Imagine being a new new player and every person in the game has you ignored already.... there’s a reason the block function exists, guilds parties/squads etc. I’ll get the random whisper thrown my way now and then, and 90% of it is asking what build is that, what class is that, what cosmetic is that, mostly from newer players. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

Um what makes you feel this is a problem first off? Or that it’s specific to this game? 

If “predators” are stalking you or anyone for that matter, maybe possibly don’t put yourself in a position where some rando on an online game is going to know anything about you. Because that’s not a Guild Wars thing... that’s an Internet thing. 

Ive played this game off and on for 9 years, not a single bot has spammed my chat, 300gold does not mean a commander is worth following or listening to, and as far for unwanted attention I mean, no offense, but it kind of comes down to you a bit as well. If you’re one of those that sit there in Divinity’s Reach putting yourself out there a bit more than others... it’s the internet. 

Imagine being a new new player and every person in the game has you ignored already.... there’s a reason the block function exists, guilds parties/squads etc. I’ll get the random whisper thrown my way now and then, and 90% of it is asking what build is that, what class is that, what cosmetic is that, mostly from newer players. 

Guild Wars 2 is already a decidedly anti-social MMO. Warcraft has gone that way as well for kind of similar reasons. It's very easy now to just fluidly join a zerg of players doing something roughly aligning to your goals, and then leave once your half hour gameloop is complete without ever having said a single word. It's very efficient, but also a little regretful.

Last night I attempted to solo a champ bounty for the first time. My damage output was low and someone saw me struggling and came to help. We still didn't quite manage to kill it in time, oh well. We exchanged singular sentences affirming the equivalent of "better luck next time" and that was it. Back when Warcraft first came out, attempting to solo - and fail - to kill a boss was how I started my first guild. Me and the two other guys decided it'd be neat to keep playing together.

Things are a bit different now, a little more jaded or perhaps experienced I suppose. Nevertheless and finally to make my point - we don't need yet another feature to push away potential interaction with other players.

I can understand the OP's frustration, there have been times when I've been messaged out of the blue by people I'd rather just NOT...It can be frustrating because it's sometimes of the harassment variety, and I have to take a moment out of my gameplay to report/block them depending on the level of harassment involved.

On very rare occasions, though, it's someone new to the game, genuinely needing help, and I'll give them help.  So, in that instance, I don't mind the unsolicited whisper, because I don't mind helping the uninitiated in GW2.  Of course, I could possibly be in the minority here...and that's okay.  I also don't mind people asking me questions about my mount skins or possibly a piece of gear, as long as it stays about the game, and doesn't venture into creepy territory where I have to block.  I've even Whispered a random person or two to ask about gear/mount colors because they had Awesome colors that caught my eye and I wanted to know about it, to see if I had it, or needed to put it on a list for future purchase.  If they got back to me, they got back to me, if they didn't they didn't, but I never hounded them about it.

But then I have days where I would just rather NOT deal with anyone at all, but I still want to play the game in peace.  Not even my Guildmates.  On those days, I just go Invisible.  I don't get whispered, but I may get mailed if a random guildie sees me out and about in the world by chance.  They'll ask how I am, and I can reply later at my leisure.  My guild is understanding of my whims that way.

Would it be nice to have a filter for a Whispers Filter?  Sure.  But because I am not so Slammed with them to begin with...I don't see huge need for it right now.  

26 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Guild Wars 2 is already a decidedly anti-social MMO. Warcraft has gone that way as well for kind of similar reasons. It's very easy now to just fluidly join a zerg of players doing something roughly aligning to your goals, and then leave once your half hour gameloop is complete without ever having said a single word. It's very efficient, but also a little regretful.

Last night I attempted to solo a champ bounty for the first time. My damage output was low and someone saw me struggling and came to help. We still didn't quite manage to kill it in time, oh well. We exchanged singular sentences affirming the equivalent of "better luck next time" and that was it. Back when Warcraft first came out, attempting to solo - and fail - to kill a boss was how I started my first guild. Me and the two other guys decided it'd be neat to keep playing together.

Things are a bit different now, a little more jaded or perhaps experienced I suppose. Nevertheless and finally to make my point - we don't need yet another feature to push away potential interaction with other players.

I mean contextually guild wars 2 has always kind of been that way. It is easier to tag and announce in map if you’re doing bounties (you can mentor tag rather than buying commander) but it’s been a Zerg fest from the get go. Similarly WoW is pretty much a Zerg fest as well, you just join a group for lfg for world bosses. Quest targets are easily soloable to a point it’s a joke. Group quests in vanilla you’d still have to advertise in map chat for a group but at times people still wouldn’t communicate. 

It has less to do with the game design and more to do with communities as a whole now days imo. Take this thread for example.. the op would rather no one even attempt to talk to them as if somehow it were to ruin their entire play experience. Idk maybe people have been sheltered to the point anymore that social skills are lacking?

15 minutes ago, Clex Mix.7624 said:

I mean contextually guild wars 2 has always kind of been that way. It is easier to tag and announce in map if you’re doing bounties (you can mentor tag rather than buying commander) but it’s been a Zerg fest from the get go. Similarly WoW is pretty much a Zerg fest as well, you just join a group for lfg for world bosses. Quest targets are easily soloable to a point it’s a joke. Group quests in vanilla you’d still have to advertise in map chat for a group but at times people still wouldn’t communicate. 

It has less to do with the game design and more to do with communities as a whole now days imo. Take this thread for example.. the op would rather no one even attempt to talk to them as if somehow it were to ruin their entire play experience. Idk maybe people have been sheltered to the point anymore that social skills are lacking?

I think so yeah, people whispering you randomly should not equate to anything even close to ruining your play experience. Even "harassment" is hardly such - someone whispering a lewd remark or whatever is just so benign it hardly qualifies as anything. I can only assume, at risk of sounding like my own parents, that there's a fair bit of over sheltering going on. I personally blame Gen-Xers - they were too busy listening to Nirvana to pay attention to what their kids were doing on "Napster". Har har 😜 Going even more off topic, I shall personally be keeping my own spawn far, FAR away from all social media until their self worth has found some grounding. It's going to be outdoor sports and jiu-jitsu for them!

• Confused 1