Please stop wasting resources on the story

TheBravery.9615

Imagine wanting to get rid of all the driving in Grand theft auto.. or all the shooting in Call of duty.. that's just as silly as wanting to get rid of the story in a RPG.

If you don't like the story, by all means don't play it.. but RPG's are built on story and that goes for MMORPG's too.
It's fine to be angry about bad story, god knows a lot of us still are after the catastrophically rubbish IBS finale.
But in that case you should demand better not the erasure of the thing that most players stay interested in the game for.
That would be the fastest way to kill off Gw2.

Besides if anything is a "waste of resources" due to it's low population/interest then WvW and Raids would be the 2 of the most deserving aspects of this game to be "killed off"
Good thing Anet doesn't think like that huh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 5/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I think the less sensationalist version of this is, "I want more attention on these other game types," which is a totally valid opinion. But remember that people ALSO play the game for story and it's a big part of the experience. Always has been. It's not going anywhere.

I can't speak for overall product strategy or future plans, but it's safe to say that we're always looking at ways of balancing story along with everything else to hit that sweet spot in the hopes of making more people happy.

My "opinion" since release has been that you don't prioritize the content I enjoy, which is WvW with proper balance. Out of my 4750 hours in the game, two thirds or more is WvW, and I had many long breaks due to frustrations with the development and changes or lack thereof. To be perfectly clear, the use of the word "opinion" at this point is even offensive for me. I have almost a decade of facts with this game, not longer just opinions. I know how many gamers play different formats. I know which type of content has the most replay-ability. From my point of view, in trying to hit the sweet spot, you have been doing it wrong for almost a decade. I see more frequent balance patches recently which is positive, and some fun changes in EoM, but we should get less PvE and raid centric decisions to ruin our gameplay. Do you have any metrics regarding how many people even do raids? Also you will now have bias if you look at percentages or surveys, because most people that I played WvW with left years back due to arrow carts buffs, low target caps (making skill matter less), gvgs ignored, server-lag in wvw and general class balance issues.

I love this game for its dedication to not making players outgeared, keeping max stats fixed, and for its convenience items. Combat in general also feels nice for the most part, except for some PoF area skills without ground markers. I really dislike this games complete lack of focus on the content I enjoy, and the fact that my valid "opinion" has been overlooked for this long. Is the problem bad management? I believe it is has been, but that it doesn't have to be.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Hm. See this is an... "interesting" take to me, as someone who recently got very into Guild Wars. I was drawn in by the story. The setting, characters, concepts, plots. I got all three novels, I played through GW1 for more background on this game. I love the story, it's the main reason I'm here. I enjoy the gameplay, but it was the storytelling that caught my interest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Yo what? Staff responded? 😂

Time to upload our balance concerns outside competetive subforums if they get actual feedback!!

On a sidenot, no they can't abandon the story for obvious reasons. No story = 0 progress forward = less chances to release new stuff for purchase be it gemstore or ingame

Do I want to see WvW and PvP get better? Hell yeah! WIll the modes be above your normal GW2 player's pve in ANET's list? No

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Yo what? Staff responded? 😂

Time to upload our balance concerns outside competetive subforums if they get actual feedback!!

On a sidenot, no they can't abandon the story for obvious reasons. No story = 0 progress forward = less chances to release new stuff for purchase be it gemstore or ingame

Do I want to see WvW and PvP get better? Hell yeah! WIll the modes be above your normal GW2 player's pve in ANET's list? No

My concern is that wvw and pvp are not really even on the list, and yeah I got a bit triggered by "valid opinion", as I read that as dismissive.

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

My only bummer is all of that story content within raids that many players who don't raid will never experience. Sure they can watch a youtube video for the narration but it's not the same and some pretty significant events happen in all these raids. I will always hope and pray for those "storymode Raids." ❤️ 

If they want to see it then maybe they should take the plunge and raid? I get it, MMO communities are scary especially the endgame oriented ones, however NA and EU both have incredibly friendly training communities that will get you through every raid as long as you're willing to learn or atleast try, you can do them all once and call it a day or maybe you'll even develop some love for the mode

As for storymode Raids.. I dunno, I've raided in every big MMO except FF and GW2's raids really aren't as hard or intimidating as some non-raiders think, I don't really see a way they could be made simpler without also ripping out all of the soul they have, if you just want to stand there and whack the equivalent of a training dummy without any real risk or challenge only for some exposition afterwards.. you really might aswell just watch a video

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, morsdood.1987 said:

As for storymode Raids.. I dunno, I've raided in every big MMO except FF and GW2's raids really aren't as hard or intimidating as some non-raiders think, I don't really see a way they could be made simpler without also ripping out all of the soul they have, if you just want to stand there and whack the equivalent of a training dummy without any real risk or challenge only for some exposition afterwards.. you really might aswell just watch a video

My point is not to take away from the raiding community but to highlight the disparity of including crucial story updates ONLY in the those raids. Dhuum coming back to imminently enslave mankind from the underworld is story content not to be taken lightly as is a tour of the Mystic Forge and its machinations. If you want hard raiding content, I want that FOR you ❤️ I just want that same story content in PVE for the nonraiders. As someone who only played Gw2 I don't know who or what a Dhuum is, its relationship with Grenth etc. I watched the full raid on Youtube and was like AW MAN, that could have been its own PVE chapter release and sure at the same time, give you raiders a hardcore raiding experience with equally good loot.  

Raids do now seem to be on the backburner or might be finished. Maybe they learned their lesson if this was a game design lesson to be learned- I wonder if that's also why we got strikes. Too bad we can't go back retroactively and give all of the community all that juicy lore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/28/2021 at 3:20 PM, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I think the less sensationalist version of this is, "I want more attention on these other game types," which is a totally valid opinion. But remember that people ALSO play the game for story and it's a big part of the experience. Always has been. It's not going anywhere.

I can't speak for overall product strategy or future plans, but it's safe to say that we're always looking at ways of balancing story along with everything else to hit that sweet spot in the hopes of making more people happy.

So Im going to actually challenge your statement. Where is world restructuring and the rest of the stuff you've promised said other modes? Its a constant as canach puts it "Masterful dodge" where it just gets swept under the rug and ignored. We want content for WvW and PvP too, not some ugly skins that don't even remotely look good on anything bigger than a human or smaller for that matter.

it feels like you guys are doing anything but what you just claimed. It feels like you don't care and are merely PR speaking to save face. As a player who doesn't enjoy your games story, I've seen full well that most resources go . Seemingly that and the open world PvE maps, everything else... remains "on the table."

I mean no disrespect, but I was once someone who loved your lore. I was a guild wars 1 junkie and I couldn't tell you how excited I Was to play a norn; Until all the cool bits were torn away and you basically took away the shapeshifting fantasy and cool nature of the race and reduced them to bear jokes and "Ka-Brahaam". And how you handled jormag? Joko? BANGAR? some of the most redeeming writing you guys have ever done in this sequel game has murdered any hopes I have for your narrative. Im now in the camp of "Gameplay, rule of cool and more content" which does not include the story. I'd very much like a canthan themed WvW map to replace one of the alpines for example, or for the potential of a fully new core class or race. But I know none of that will ever happen, because the bulk of resources are pushed into open world PvE and Story. Whats left (seemingly not a lot ) goes into the remaining modes.

Heck, Im sitting here scared you guys are going to focus on movement again and invalidate mounts with more mastery-points to gate off the story. HoT and PoF both did it, Im dreading the potential hearts your going to shove in because those are just loathsome. I hope im wrong, but at this stage its VERY hard to have faith in the team... very hard to have faith in the game. Likely Im assuming ill be put in a no, no corner for daring to question. Probably be sentenced to oblivion when it comes to being able to voice myself on the forums; I've not tried to be offensive but Im sure someone will find this as such. 

But its not typical that I dare to engage to developer or worker in any direct form of communication, Im just tired of not saying it to the source. We can all argue among ourselves as your player-base, which we do quite a great deal as Im sure you're well aware... but for once I'd like to have a discussion with one of the people doing the crafting of the game, rather than a fellow consumer.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

My point is not to take away from the raiding community but to highlight the disparity of including crucial story updates ONLY in the those raids. Dhuum coming back to imminently enslave mankind from the underworld is story content not to be taken lightly as is a tour of the Mystic Forge and its machinations. If you want hard raiding content, I want that FOR you ❤️ I just want that same story content in PVE for the nonraiders. As someone who only played Gw2 I don't know who or what a Dhuum is, its relationship with Grenth etc. I watched the full raid on Youtube and was like AW MAN, that could have been its own PVE chapter release and sure at the same time, give you raiders a hardcore raiding experience with equally good loot.  

Raids do now seem to be on the backburner or might be finished. Maybe they learned their lesson if this was a game design lesson to be learned- I wonder if that's also why we got strikes. Too bad we can't go back retroactively and give all of the community all that juicy lore.

The raid stories were actually some of the best, heck even the caledbolg story was really solid. All of them off the beaten path; The gen 2 legendaries they made stories for were as well really good. The over arching-narrative of the game is what typically falls flat...

5 hours ago, Sinolai.3860 said:

I think the story is one of the best parts of this game 😞 or perhaps not the story itself, that is quite medicore. But the voice acting and atmosphere is great.

I agree with that as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, Teratus.2859 said:

Imagine wanting to get rid of all the driving in Grand theft auto.. or all the shooting in Call of duty.. that's just as silly as wanting to get rid of the story in a RPG.

If you don't like the story, by all means don't play it.. but RPG's are built on story and that goes for MMORPG's too.
It's fine to be angry about bad story, god knows a lot of us still are after the catastrophically rubbish IBS finale.
But in that case you should demand better not the erasure of the thing that most players stay interested in the game for.
That would be the fastest way to kill off Gw2.

Besides if anything is a "waste of resources" due to it's low population/interest then WvW and Raids would be the 2 of the most deserving aspects of this game to be "killed off"
Good thing Anet doesn't think like that huh.

WvW and open world PvE would be the only modes they'd save. PvP, fractals, Raids, strikes are all niche game modes. There are tons who WvW so I wouldn't lump it in with that but the rest of the game would be culled. I'd wager that WvW is likely directly behind Open world PvE with retained players and investment of player time, with fractals being third and then everything after that cascading further.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:15 AM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

My only bummer is all of that story content within raids that many players who don't raid will never experience. 

Totally agree .. raids should be non-story, there's no reason content only a seen by a small minority (likely a small minority of the player-base) has story content which the [large?] majority will never see.

Raids should be for the 'challenge'  and the 'phat lewt' most raiders crave, leave the story content where the majority can play it.

I truly LOLed some years ago when this subject came up and  an ANet poster (I think it was) said, to paraphrase, 'those who don't want to raid can pay raiders to see cleared raid zones to 'experience' the lore.

Word's can't express how banal that was.

Edited by Kraggy.4169
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Honestly I wish they'd make 'guide' mode for raids/strikes/dungeons that expected full group of people (I know people have solo'd fractals and other group contents, but said people are usually in full ascended etc that the people who might want to do raids/duns are trying to do it to get)

No, not the story mode of the old dungeons.

Where it's just you +maybe some NPCs if the content has something that require multiple people to do.

If a mechanic start and you're chosen to do something, the NPC will stay on boss.

If the mechanic targets the NPC, they'll run off to do it.

They can balance it so the reward is a lot worse compare to the group version, but at least people will get to experience the content without having to be 'meta'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/1/2021 at 7:03 PM, Loke.1429 said:

My concern is that wvw and pvp are not really even on the list, and yeah I got a bit triggered by "valid opinion", as I read that as dismissive.

It was dismissive, the ton it carried was. "We know there is a market for it, but we have no current plans for it." Which is the same stuff they said when it was asked if we'd get an expansion. In their hubris they dismiss anything but praise; Which is why the people who truly love the game usually get banned. Because they DARE to offer criticism or get upset that they are ignored; The mocked PvPers and WvW players at the event when they announced the "Retconbrood Saga" which showcases just how they feel about anyone who doesn't strictly do open world PvE.

It's almost as bad as "Don't you have a phone? Yea you guys all have phones." But that is the nature of the beast, when people don't associate or deal with their audience they become almost completely dethatched from the reality of their project. Its clear they are not even sure what they want this game to be...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

• ArenaNet Staff
On 6/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, Loke.1429 said:

What list are you talking about? And why would my acknowledgment of a statement being valid be considered dismissive? It's literally the opposite of that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• ArenaNet Staff
55 minutes ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

It was dismissive, the ton it carried was. "We know there is a market for it, but we have no current plans for it." Which is the same stuff they said when it was asked if we'd get an expansion. In their hubris they dismiss anything but praise; Which is why the people who truly love the game usually get banned. Because they DARE to offer criticism or get upset that they are ignored; The mocked PvPers and WvW players at the event when they announced the "Retconbrood Saga" which showcases just how they feel about anyone who doesn't strictly do open world PvE.

It's almost as bad as "Don't you have a phone? Yea you guys all have phones." But that is the nature of the beast, when people don't associate or deal with their audience they become almost completely dethatched from the reality of their project. Its clear they are not even sure what they want this game to be...

A few things to keep in mind when you're posting in the Lore forum:

• Questions will likely get answered by a Narrative dev and will be from a narrative point of view.
  • Answers will center around narrative implications, not high level product strategy or non-narrative game modes.
  • Constructive criticism doesn't get people banned. Comment on the project and things you like/don't like. Don't attack people and you'll be fine, as a rule.
  • Updates about other game modes would come from reps on those teams/departments or in those channels, or from official communications outside the forums. Not from me or someone from the Narrative Team.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 10

4 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

What list are you talking about? And why would my acknowledgment of a statement being valid be considered dismissive? It's literally the opposite of that.

4 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

• Questions will likely get answered by a Narrative dev and will be from a narrative point of view.
  • Answers will center around narrative implications, not high level product strategy or non-narrative game modes.
  • Constructive criticism doesn't get people banned. Comment on the project and things you like/don't like. Don't attack people and you'll be fine, as a rule.
  • Updates about other game modes would come from reps on those teams/departments or in those channels, or from official communications outside the forums. Not from me or someone from the Narrative Team.

Hi Bobby, thank you so much for the follow-up here. I'm sorry for my harsh tone in the last reply. To be fair I did overreact a bit. It was definitely an acknowledgement from you, which is why I wanted to reply to you. I also hope for similar acknowledgement from the company if possible. The reason for me overreacting was that in the eyes of a development starved wvw'er, your response regarding "valid opinion" could also could be paraphrased to "yeah they have a different opinion than us devs and typical lore forum posters, and they are allowed to have their own taste, but its just their opinion, not validated by years of built up frustration fueling these kind of threads in a lore forum".

I also want to say that I am extremely impressed with the openness you are showing here by replying. It is very refreshing and we direly need more of it from you, other devs and ArenaNet as a whole. Your replies are very precise/clear as well, and gives clarity of the scope of your answers. If I was able to ask you a small favor, it would be to ask you to discuss these frustrations internally within ArenaNet with the correct persons and be open about the outcome of such a discussion. This is cry out from us wvw'ers and pvper's for more development time, openness about upcoming changes, and a clarification on if some old promised changes will not come. I for one don't really care so much either way regarding what will be kept and not of any past promises. I just want more development time to my preferred game mode and openness (communication about plans / upcoming changes for wvw and pvp). It doesn't have to be so detailed, but explain a general direction for the game modes. On a side note, please don't make it like the release notes / balance patches that explain cause and effect (why a change was needed) and then end up doing the exact opposite (e.g. buff when it stated that a nerf was needed or something like that).

Part of my responsibly at my own job is a company internal backlog owner for a small development team working with Scrum. When I wrote "not even on the list" I was referring to a metaphorical list of larger upcoming changes prioritized / planned for the next 6months.

Have a great day / weekend! Best regards from an immensely frustrated but very huge GW2-fan.

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ArenaNet Staff

@Loke.1429 Thanks for your honest and heartfelt reply. I know what you mean. Sometimes when we're reading stuff on the internet it gets interpreted/heard differently than intended. I appreciate you clearing that up and explaining your thoughts and opinions.

I think I understand where you, the OP, and others are coming from. You're expressing concern or frustration about a different part of the game you love in the forum in which you think is responsible for it not getting the support you want. It's not really that simple of an equation in terms of where our resources go/have gone/will go, but I commend you and others for speaking your mind just the same. While I'm not at liberty to talk about product strategy or other game types, I can say that I'm not the only one reading the forums and hearing all this.

My earlier comment about balancing story with every other game type is true, though. We evaluate our efforts and resources in all areas of game development pretty regularly and adjust our plans as we can. If/when there's an update in that regard there'll be official comms about it. Apologies that this sounds vague. I'm literally not the person whose job it is to make those decisions nor the one to talk about them. But those people exist and will be sharing at the proper time. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

Keep in mind Bobby Stein has been one of the few devs that has told it "like it is" unfettered by corporate language (he's the one that let out the reason that IBS was cut short, which is EoD). He isn't even obligated to respond to people trolling this lore forum thread.

Yes PVP , WvW , plus instanced PVE have some issues, but what do you expect a lore (narrative) dev to even do about it? I really don't understand that logic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

Keep in mind Bobby Stein has been one of the few devs that has told it "like it is" unfettered by corporate language (he's the one that let out the reason that IBS was cut short, which is EoD). He isn't even obligated to respond to people trolling this lore forum thread.

Yes PVP , WvW , plus instanced PVE have some issues, but what do you expect a lore (narrative) dev to even do about it? I really don't understand that logic.

I assume some players want certain devs to be more of a player advocate instead of simply doing their job. There are certainly arguments for and against that. At the end of the day, we don't work at ArenaNet and we either trust that they are all doing their best to make the most out of whatever situations are going on or we don't and to continue supporting with our wallets or not. They certainly haven't had the easiest few years and I can also understand players losing some patience. EOD could certainly decide Anet's future.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I appreciate the reply, as well I am surprised by how open you've been as well that you didn't merely remove me. I understand that you can't speak up on what others are doing; But most of us come to a tag we assume will respond or at the very least will see it and perhaps pass it along. I know many of my friends and guildies are frustrated with the guild systems, WvW and so on seemingly being abandoned when we all love those types of game modes/gameplay/genre. I think you have a very promising game with tons of potential, You're truly a credit to your team and Im happy you're more open on at the very least communicating which is a refreshing thing to see.

I will say this, since Im sure this is in your wheel-house. I hope that cantha is more imperial china/Feudal Japan and not all Sci-fi. I had more than enough asuran, as well magi-tech in S4. Im hoping it will be more magical and mystical, as well that the hint in the fractal of there being potential norn there bears fruit. (How sick would it be to be able to make a Mongol or Hun looking norn.)

I apologize that I came at you with my frustrations, I ask only that maybe... you give our feedback and concerns to the proper channels? I'd like  those teams to know that we have not forgotten, and that we would like more from them as selfish as that sounds. Because It's hard when I bring people to the game and they see those modes they came for in such a state, and ask when and update is going to come and all I can respond with is "Likely never."

At any rate, thanks for your response. May the spirits watch over you~

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I love the story. I don't need to like every character, or every bit of character development (though honestly I generally do enjoy what I experience). If this was just a set of fancy combat mechanics, it might suit some players, but I know I'd be just a soulbeast-shaped cloud of cartoon smoke as I bolted for better climes.

• Like 3

• ArenaNet Staff
21 hours ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

I appreciate the reply, as well I am surprised by how open you've been as well that you didn't merely remove me. I understand that you can't speak up on what others are doing; But most of us come to a tag we assume will respond or at the very least will see it and perhaps pass it along. I know many of my friends and guildies are frustrated with the guild systems, WvW and so on seemingly being abandoned when we all love those types of game modes/gameplay/genre. I think you have a very promising game with tons of potential, You're truly a credit to your team and Im happy you're more open on at the very least communicating which is a refreshing thing to see.

I will say this, since Im sure this is in your wheel-house. I hope that cantha is more imperial china/Feudal Japan and not all Sci-fi. I had more than enough asuran, as well magi-tech in S4. Im hoping it will be more magical and mystical, as well that the hint in the fractal of there being potential norn there bears fruit. (How sick would it be to be able to make a Mongol or Hun looking norn.)

I apologize that I came at you with my frustrations, I ask only that maybe... you give our feedback and concerns to the proper channels? I'd like  those teams to know that we have not forgotten, and that we would like more from them as selfish as that sounds. Because It's hard when I bring people to the game and they see those modes they came for in such a state, and ask when and update is going to come and all I can respond with is "Likely never."

At any rate, thanks for your response. May the spirits watch over you~

I appreciate the kind words. I'd much rather engage in healthy conversation--even when it's a difficult one--than leave a discussion feeling as if no connections were made. Thanks for being patient and chatting with me about this. I know the Internet can be a hostile place but it is what we make it and I'd much prefer to just talk with y'all when I can. It doesn't have to be awkward or contentious. 🙂

While I'm not at liberty to share about the ongoing discussions we have internally, just know that they do indeed happen, we're aware of what different groups in our community are talking about, and we try to consider as many viewpoints as possible. I and others often talk about the things we're hearing from the community inside the game and on social media, so even though they're considered anecdotal we take them into account along with things like metrics.

Re: Cantha, we'll be talking about it more in the future. Can't say any more than that right now. 😉

Anyway, I have to get back to work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, for your candidness, and for your kind words. I hope you all have a great day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I appreciate the kind words. I'd much rather engage in healthy conversation--even when it's a difficult one--than leave a discussion feeling as if no connections were made. Thanks for being patient and chatting with me about this. I know the Internet can be a hostile place but it is what we make it and I'd much prefer to just talk with y'all when I can. It doesn't have to be awkward or contentious. 🙂

While I'm not at liberty to share about the ongoing discussions we have internally, just know that they do indeed happen, we're aware of what different groups in our community are talking about, and we try to consider as many viewpoints as possible. I and others often talk about the things we're hearing from the community inside the game and on social media, so even though they're considered anecdotal we take them into account along with things like metrics.

Re: Cantha, we'll be talking about it more in the future. Can't say any more than that right now. 😉

Anyway, I have to get back to work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, for your candidness, and for your kind words. I hope you all have a great day.

You as well my friend, stay safe out there. Know that at least for me the only reason I yell so loud is because tyria is my home and has been since I was a little boy. I have the same connection to this franchise that many have to WoW so while I don't always agree, any criticism comes from a place of love and wanting the game to be the best that it can be.

Again, may the spirits watch over you. Also thank you for engaging us with such vigor; I like that you're so open to talking to us and I look forward to whatever you come up with. (Kinda nail biting because Im super curious about the expansion if Im being honest.)

Edited by Thornwolf.9721
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1