Why is Aion advertised in the gw2 site?

It does seem weird, I was going to say from the little I know of Aion it seems like a very different game so maybe they don't see it as competition, but then it would have the opposite problem that not many GW2 players would care and the advert is a bit pointless.

But it's not the first time. When Aion first launched one of the pre-order items was a unique emote to use in GW1, which I think was intended as cross-promotion. I don't know how successful it was overall but I did see a few people using the emote.

36 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

You answered your own question.

The closest thing to compaire this to would be blizzard but blizzard made games in diff genres and then cross promotes with the idea being that you get goodies on what you already play too.

This just tells ppl to come and spend their time elsewhere in the same genre space.

It's aion classic server. A good game but yeah it gets grindy. I wouldn't feel too threatened by it. Back in 2009 when it launched my gw friends and I tried it and went back to gw lol. I remeber anet devs posted that they were excited to try it out at launch and gw fans freaked and anet said "ok we won't communicate with you going forward".

Aion classic? I wasn't aware of a significant playerbase who thought the original Aion was worth going back to (I certainly didn't).

Does NCSoft think that because it worked for WoW, it'll work for Aion?

...come to think of it, that pretty much sums up Aion.

Edited by Ben K.6238

7 hours ago, Ben K.6238 said:

Aion classic? I wasn't aware of a significant playerbase who thought the original Aion was worth going back to (I certainly didn't).

Does NCSoft think that because it worked for WoW, it'll work for Aion?

...come to think of it, that pretty much sums up Aion.

Their forums are quite active just like the game. I would not be surprised if NC made more money with aion classic then gw2 pre-xpack 🙂

On 6/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, zealex.9410 said:

I get all games being under the ncsoft umbrella but the concept of having an mmo ans advertising competing mmos on your site just bizzare.

because all that money goes into ncsoft pocket . also you answered your own question too so kudos to you for making a thread that you answered yourself.

1 hour ago, valkyrie.4563 said:

because all that money goes into ncsoft pocket . also you answered your own question too so kudos to you for making a thread that you answered yourself.

Afaik box sales still go to anet directly and aion classic is sub based so this add directly targets ppl that would spend money in the first place.

On top of that Nc already does promotions of its other titles through the news letter but that implies the person has already gotten into gw2 so at least ane has gotten a box sale likely.

Edited by zealex.9410

ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft.

Thus, any revenue ArenaNet earns is wholly-controlled by NCSoft.

A subsidiary company is owned and controlled by a parent corporation. ... If there are no profits, or if the parent company chooses to reinvest the profits, then no money will pass hands, but legally the subsidiary's money is the parent company's money.

On 6/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, zealex.9410 said:

Afaik it and gw2 are compairable to performance?

Aion in its prime was a pretty good game. It's sadly way past its peak at this point. And no as far as I know the last quarterly I saw on ncsoft gw2 was doing pretty well. 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, zealex.9410 said:

Last two quarters aion has made more income than gw2. With the xpac probably more than 20 weeks (5 months) away, it probably ncsoft way to keep income within the company. Also aion classic has template level of monetization, gem to gold, subscription and battlepasses. With the amount of ff14 poaching over the past 2 years, it is smart for ncsoft to poach bored gw2 players into one of their own financial growing properties, and more likely keep their revenue within the company. It is like how McDonald's has both hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. 

On 6/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, zealex.9410 said:

Yes and no. In Q4 2020 and Q1 2021 Aion overcame Guild Wars 2 in total revenue. However, that tells us only half the story. Even in Q1 2021 Guild Wars 2 earned more than 50% of what NCsoft earned in NA/EU, this means that most of Aion's renewed revenue comes from outside NA/EU (probably Korea) and Guild Wars 2 is still the best performing NCsoft game in NA/EU and has been for a rather long time.

It looks like NCsoft games are not very popular in NA/EU and maybe this ad is an attempt by NCsoft to increase the popularity of one of their other games in the region.

Edited by maddoctor.2738
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2