Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?

Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Faridah.8431 said:

I tried one yesterday for the heck of it. It was pretty full of people and that event was some of the worst frames my PC has ever experienced in this game.

I guess the 2 gold is still an incentive to sit around and have your 1 key set to auto-attack.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

I guess the 2 gold is still an incentive to sit around and have your 1 key set to auto-attack.

Seems that way. Map had a hard time controlling when they were killing Ryland and Braham and took a few times to get them timed together.

• Sad 1

There's no way I'm touching this event again after I've got the achievements. Not because I think the encounter sucks, but I'm sick of a tiny percentage of people completely wasting my time and effort.

The public instance seems like the only way to get reliable kills if you don't have access to a high amount of LI, so once that's gone, I'm gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Xainou.1502 said:

There's no way I'm touching this event again after I've got the achievements. Not because I think the encounter sucks, but I'm sick of a tiny percentage of people completely wasting my time and effort.

The public instance seems like the only way to get reliable kills if you don't have access to a high amount of LI, so once that's gone, I'm gone.

BUt even if it stays, all new content suffers some amount of attrition. It's DOA as soon as it's no longer the community meme and even public stops completely filling. At best it will be full at reset and that's it.

• Confused 1

You're right, I've been in squads for the private that constantly fail, I went to a public version and we managed to destroy the Marionette without any issues.  I'm not sure why that's happening but it should stay public for more than a week if it's not to be permanent, I think it should be kept around for at least a month.  For players to enjoy and get the achievements reliably if there's some kind of fault with scaling or whatever in the private version.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zappix.7928 said:

You're right, I've been in squads for the private that constantly fail, I went to a public version and we managed to destroy the Marionette without any issues.  I'm not sure why that's happening but it should stay public for more than a week if it's not to be permanent, I think it should be kept around for at least a month.  For players to enjoy and get the achievements reliably if there's some kind of fault with scaling or whatever in the private version.  

It's because the public limit is 80, while the private squad limit is 50. While there is some scaling, there's a lot more room for error when you have an average of 3.2 players per platform rather than 2, not to mention the benefit of having more people to stop the Twisted from getting through in the lanes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

BUt even if it stays, all new content suffers some amount of attrition. It's DOA as soon as it's no longer the community meme and even public stops completely filling. At best it will be full at reset and that's it.

This is why it should be placed into the World Boss Rotation. Perhaps added to the "Hard" world bosses on the event timer. Even allow it to be a Daily now and then. There are always World boss trains.

• Like 8

I feel like with many successes of the public instance over the private ones (removal of 50 person limit), ANet might have considered this and opted not to allow it.
I understand the choice, I probably won't repeat it as often in the future after I get the achievements, so naturally I would like to see it available always. I also got my backpiece from sprockets, so i might not be the best sample.

I think that the idea of adding more alternating events to the EotN is not that strange, so in the future we might see more sense in this approach. I think in some time in the future, people would still play this, like DRMs, Dungeons etc. e.g. for materials to get runes/weapon skins.

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It's because the public limit is 80, while the private squad limit is 50. While there is some scaling, there's a lot more room for error when you have an average of 3.2 players per platform rather than 2, not to mention the benefit of having more people to stop the Twisted from getting through in the lanes. 

Oh thank you for the explanation, I was one of two people on a platform in public, in private I was alone and I got the spinny thing down to half health and then I got crushed.  😑

I don’t think so.  Public perception will eventually die out and the public events will get 0 people, it’s demoralizing to see 0 people playing in an mmo. 

extending the public to be a few more days would be cool , or keeping it permanent but only once a week, weekly world boss. Could also be cool .

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, artcreator.4859 said:

I don’t think so.  Public perception will eventually die out and the public events will get 0 people, it’s demoralizing to see 0 people playing in an mmo. 

extending the public to be a few more days would be cool , or keeping it permanent but only once a week, weekly world boss. Could also be cool .

If they did it annually, or every quarter id agree with this. BUT they allow all the rest of the old content to stay up, and hell alot of maps are dead with only a few players running around doing mapping or leveling.

• Like 3

I think it might be hard to keep it viable when there isn't as much interest in it. The way the instance works can be pretty punishing to under populated instance. And once the failure rates gets too high people will just abandon trying anyways.

Maybe they should reduce the breach failure penalty to 10% energy in public but maintain the 50 player cap like the squad instance. This might make the instance take a long time allowing 6- 8 breach failures, but that extra allowance can help get maps filled even after the event starts. With this adjustment you could have lanes 3,4,5 always fail and still succeeded, although be a bit slow.

Edited by PseudoNewb.5468
  • Like 1

I wish it was, 80 man, going in is a lot smoother then 50 man. 

2/2 pug runs so far successful. Though we still ended up 10 manning some lanes, it was fine. 

This fight is fun, its actually fun. S1 had some good stuff I am glad to finally be able to do. Private squads can also be a chore. 

To me, this fight is better designed then Dragonstorm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

I think it might be hard to keep it viable when there isn't as much interest in it. The way the instance works can be pretty punishing to under populated instance. And once the failure rates gets too high people will just abandon trying anyways.

Maybe they should reduce the breach failure penalty to 10% energy in public but maintain the 50 player cap like the squad instance. This might make the instance take a long time allowing 6- 8 breach failures, but that extra allowance can help get maps filled even after the event starts.

Why though? its currently designed well, and you should be able to fail. We NEED harder content in open world 🙂

At the very least there should be promise that it may come back in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken off as planned, though I expect they will be watching the number of participants in private instances and come to the conclusion that most of us here already have, that it's just too difficult to put together a successful private instance once the related public event and the excitement die down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Its currently designed well, and you should be able to fail. We NEED harder content in open world.

That what the private squad version is for.

The public version should be adjusted for the people it's trying to target (which aren't the organized top end people).

Content being too hard will drive away more players than it pleases, just like the original iteration of HoT did.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

That what the private squad version is for.

The public version should be adjusted for the people it's trying to target (which aren't the organized top end people).

Content being too hard will drive away more players than it pleases, just like the original iteration of HoT did.

Public IS adjusted by being able to bring so many more people in. Private is pretty much tuned to a point where everyone has to play pretty close to perfectly to get a win.

If player numbers drop, that'll probably stop being effective. In my experience, though, I've won 5/6 public instances, although I do usually end up popping up a dorito on a lane that needs one to help with organisation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

Maybe they should reduce the breach failure penalty to 10% energy in public but maintain the 50 player cap like the squad instance. This might make the instance take a long time allowing 6- 8 breach failures, but that extra allowance can help get maps filled even after the event starts. With this adjustment you could have lanes 3,4,5 always fail and still succeeded, although be a bit slow.

It's the only guaranteed source of watchwork sprockets besides the home instance node, so there is already a reason to do it every day. Besides, they can always add an infusion to loot table to keep more people interested in it.

I don't think it needs to be nerfed. Encounter mechanics are extremely simple and consist of nothing more than basic gameplay knowledge such as not standing in red zones and using CC on enemies with a blue bar under their health bar. The only platform boss that might not be as obvious as the rest is lane 2 platform boss since it needs to be kited to mines to become vulnerable, but even that mechanic isn't exactly hard to figure out. The only change I would suggest is decreasing the duration of portal debuff, so in case it doesn't teleport any players to a platform, players from other lanes could go in and the event wouldn't fail due to a bug.

With all of that being said, I think the public version should definitely become a permanent option. I've done the private version 4 times and all of them have failed, with a few people flaming others and leaving the instance. On the other hand, out of the 18 public runs I've done I've lost only 2 of them, with one of those losses being on the first one available on EU, so I didn't mind it too much since there were probably plenty of people who haven't been around when the original event was going on so they weren't familiar with the encounter itself. Besides, it's been only a few days since the event was out and even then public runs are going pretty well. If public version would become permanent, more people would have the chance of getting familiar with the encounter and it would increase the success rate of the public version even more.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1