Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?

Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Should the public instance for the Marionette fight be permanently available?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

it can't be made a WB on the actual open world because it was defeated and destroyed in Season 1

And The Shatterer has already been defeated as well, yet it remains as a world boss.

Arenanet simply doesn't want it to be a world boss - that's all there is to it.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And The Shatterer has already been defeated as well, yet it remains as a world boss.

Arenanet simply doesn't want it to be a world boss - that's all there is to it.

All WBs have been defeated thousands of times, that's not the point. Specifically about the Marionette, it has altered the open map twice and one thing ANet isn't going to do again is change maps or parts of maps for one episode of LW from 8 years ago - that is why.

Besides, it works a lot better having the ruined marionette with a vista in the open world and the actual fight, as it was, justified by the lore of the Scrying Pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

All WBs have been defeated thousands of times, that's not the point. Specifically about the Marionette, it has altered the open map twice and one thing ANet isn't going to do again is change maps or parts of maps for one episode of LW from 8 years ago - that is why.

Besides, it works a lot better having the ruined marionette with a vista in the open world and the actual fight, as it was, justified by the lore of the Scrying Pool.

Aside from that, the scaling would also have to be redone to account for the fact that the map is accessible to characters considerably below lvl 80. The marionette as it is now is fine for players at lvl 80 with elite specs and exotic+ equipment, but it would have to be considerably easier to be doable for lvl 40 players with a mix of blue and green leveling gear and only two traitlines available.

• Thanks 1

It definately should stay permanent as public instance if it is going to stay permanent on private too. Guildwars2 has enourmous amount of players who do purely public instances and open world and taking this (already made and ready) event away from them -while leaving it as private- would be a slap in the face.

If i wanted to play organized instanced group content where i have to show everything starting from my dogs pedigree to be even considered to join a group, there would be other games where to do that content. Leaving this content private only will not "encourage" me to join private groups, it will just stop me for doing this content at all. Why take away something that is already in the game and works great and people love doing it? Please let the public version stay!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

The current implementation and community response to the fight has been disheartening. People in LFG are requiring raid KPs or doing it entirely with Scourges for an 'easy mode' when the original fight debuted before raids or elite specs existed. Many people will never see a fantastic fight that was originally accessible to anybody, unless the public version is kept. I agree with an earlier suggestion here - keep the public version and put it on alternating hours with Dragonfall.

17 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

guys, it can't be made a WB on the actual open world because it was defeated and destroyed in Season 1 - which is why it's only accessible now via the Scrying Pool.

To be entirely fair, Tequatl was also defeated in Season 1, as were the Toxic Alliance, and yet those persist in the open world. We're certainly done with Mordremoth, yet the Iron Marches are overrun with Mordrem. Open world instances are often sort of frozen in place timewise, so I don't think it'd be that out of place for the Marionette to just be placed back in Lornar's.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, foozlesprite.8051 said:

The current implementation and community response to the fight has been disheartening. People in LFG are requiring raid KPs or doing it entirely with Scourges for an 'easy mode' when the original fight debuted before raids or elite specs existed. Many people will never see a fantastic fight that was originally accessible to anybody, unless the public version is kept. I agree with an earlier suggestion here - keep the public version and put it on alternating hours with Dragonfall.

To be entirely fair, Tequatl was also defeated in Season 1, as were the Toxic Alliance, and yet those persist in the open world. We're certainly done with Mordremoth, yet the Iron Marches are overrun with Mordrem. Open world instances are often sort of frozen in place timewise, so I don't think it'd be that out of place for the Marionette to just be placed back in Lornar's.

Quite agree. I cannot understand why they decided to pop this into the Scrying Pool.

This is my take as to how how it could be done within the normal map.

Put some Asura Priory researchers at the end of each of the five paths into the Marionette fight area in Lornar's Pass. Have them tell anyone speaking to them that for some odd reason some of the Dragon energy that was released on killing Primordus and Jormag caused an odd reaction with the remains of the Marionette.

As a result the Priory have sealed off the area with a Force field whilst they conduct their research.

Then place a large bubble forcefield over the area to stop anyone travelling up the valleys or flying into the area prior to the event taking place.

Move the Vista that was in this area to somewhere a little more accessible. Do the same with any POI. This is to enable any player to complete the map if they're exploring normally.

Then place the event into the Open world rotation. Just prior to it activating have the Asura scream that the forcefield has developed an error and remove it allowing players to access the event.

I fairly sure the story line developers would be able to come up with something a little more polished on the same lines.

Edited by Andy.5981

I like the squad option for Marionette but it is barely able to be done in a private squad, especially if it's a PUG group, from what I've seen. I like the idea and challenge for say a guild, but Public or putting it back in Lornar's as a rotating World Boss I think would be FANTASTIC! Personally I think the current iteration (alternating between Dragonstorm and Marionette accessible through EotN) is the easiest idea. Plus it would make EotN more of a hub city like DR, LA, and like EotN was in GW1!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

I fairly sure the story line developers would be able to come up with something a little more polished on the same lines.

I'm sure they can, too, but coming up with a story is the easy part. Balancing the encounter to account for leveling characters with low quality gear and incomplete traitlines as well as players on the map instance that don't participate in the boss fight (thus reducing the number of players in the lanes) is the bigger problem when you put the fight back into the open world.

2 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I'm sure they can, too, but coming up with a story is the easy part. Balancing the encounter to account for leveling characters with low quality gear and incomplete traitlines as well as players on the map instance that don't participate in the boss fight (thus reducing the number of players in the lanes) is the bigger problem when you put the fight back into the open world.

You dont balance for incomplete or low level characters. They didn't when the original event took place in Lornar's all those years ago. If you were low level you died, a lot. You set the encounter for level 80.

Build it and they will come. Tequatl, The Shatterer, Claw of Jormag etc., prove this. Players will do the event if it is in the World Boss rotation on an open world map.

There were also far more players participating in the original LS1 encounter, don't restrict numbers on lanes.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 2

I'd at least like to keep the public version as it is now, because I find it more fun and it's consistently more successful than private squads, but I also like the idea of making it a world boss.

I think it would work, it's in an out of the way area which hasn't been used for anything else since the Marionette fight was removed (and was empty snow and rocks before that). There's 1 vista and a POI in the area but that's true for a lot of world bosses. As various people have said world bosses consistently attract large groups even when they've been in the game for years and I can't see why this one would be any different.

But at the very least I think the existing public version should stay for those who prefer it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd at least like to keep the public version as it is now, because I find it more fun and it's consistently more successful than private squads, but I also like the idea of making it a world boss.

I think it would work, it's in an out of the way area which hasn't been used for anything else since the Marionette fight was removed (and was empty snow and rocks before that). There's 1 vista and a POI in the area but that's true for a lot of world bosses. As various people have said world bosses consistently attract large groups even when they've been in the game for years and I can't see why this one would be any different.

But at the very least I think the existing public version should stay for those who prefer it.

They should keep it at the spot they currently have it in my opinion. All living world season 1 things are available via Eye of the North (the others being in voices from the past instances which are at scrying pool as well) and ofcourse they made the Eye of the North available for all levels now so I assume f2p players can access the place to play lws1 missions. They already got access to lws2 as well as long as they unlocked the episodes in the free period (idk if they can buy gems via card and use it on gemstore without owning the paid version of core game aka have the expansion). Why break something that works as is. On the old location they added poi's and vistas (I remember the marionette laying about in, I think it was, Lornar. Just for the time they could either opt to keep it as is or have it on a lengthier schedule like worldbosses are. Personally I like how it is now time wise since I won't have to wait for hours before its available or have it happen at times I cannot play.

I also agree with ppl saying private may die soon. Its not easy to get 50 ppl online at the same time and organised. I already see an almost empty lfg for it. With public, everyone can step in and you don't depend on others you know logging at same times. 

• Like 3

While I'm not really opposed to it staying public per se, I voted no because it's a band aid at best. i've been in public instances that weren't completely full and they pretty much all failed. I think there really needs to be more tuning and/or levers on encounter difficulty, or they need to allow squads going in to be much larger, otherwise public will have the same problems squad does in I'd say no less than a month.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:34 PM, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

guys, it can't be made a WB on the actual open world because it was defeated and destroyed in Season 1 - which is why it's only accessible now via the Scrying Pool.

Making the public fixture permanent just like Dragonstorm is alright - make one of them spawn every other hour, then in the future they could add other epics fights (like The Breachmaker) in the same fashion, slotting it in half-an-hour later, then one more maybe... and so on.

Do people even still do Dragonstorm though anymore?

22 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

It actually gives Eye of the North even more use and purpose, as I don't really care for Dragon Response Missions. 

Holy kitten, I forgot those were even a thing...

Edited by Bristingr.5034