When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

34 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Might be something to do with the fact they've clearly stated that new races are "off the table".

I mean, if you've been with them long enough, they've clearly stated a lot of things, like "we won't be making expansion", and "we don't want to add mounts", and my personal favorite, "we don't want to add raids". Obviously I can't point to a direct quote, but from base game to Heart of Thorns (three years) to get an expansion, with raids, and then another two years for a second expansion and mounts, I think they make it up as they go along. I mean, you do remember those years, when no one ran toughness or healing power, or even condi for a good long while lol. The point is, they need to get the lead out and get on this, now.

Edited by Greymantle.9168
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

Why would "Because they said so previously" function as a reason not to do something?  I'm genuinely confused on why this would be a point to raise, given that it is entirely possible to change your mind on something (and there is no need to demonstrate a precedent in either direction to prove that).

Seeing the range of tengu around, and how easily they seem to fit in their armour - yeah I'm disappointed this couldn't have been included.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

I mean, if you've been with them long enough, they've clearly stated a lot of things, like "we won't be making expansion", and "we don't want to add mounts", and my personal favorite, "we don't want to add raids". Obviously I can't point to a direct quote, but from base game to Heart of Thorns (three years) to get an expansion, with raids, and then another two years for a second expansion and mounts, I think they make it up as they go along. I mean, you do remember those years, when no one ran toughness or healing power, or even condi for a good long while lol. The point is, they need to get the lead out and get on this, now.

Where exatly did they say all these things?

The mount-thing i here a lot, but never found anything what clearly stated that they never want to introduce Mounts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taylan.2187 said:

I was one of those hoping for playable Tengu too but no point complaining about it now, it's not like they'll be like "oh mkay let's add them in the next patch then" 😄

Just gotta enjoy the things we did get with the xpac.

You must be an easy date, only accepting what they bring you, and not what you might ask for...Oh, you pay for what you ask for? I paid for this too lol.

• Confused 2

Because it’s more than just a cosmetic thing. Tengu suddenly being a Commander when they’ve not been active for most of the timeline isn’t going to work. To suddenly add them in just for eod isn’t going to work. New story, new dialogue, new scripts, new backgrounds - all need to be built and added at expense of time, money and reduction of other content.

I am not against new races, but the devs have said they don’t think it’s worth it for them to invest time into. That might change, but it would need them to find a solution internally that satisfies them so that new races don’t conflict with the story set up.

Given it’s only cosmetic and playable races bring little else given they are very watered down and generic versions of their respective npc races, it’s a tough call to make

Great if they can make it work of course, but they clearly couldn’t this time

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Fuchslein.8639 said:

The mount-thing i here a lot, but never found anything what clearly stated that they never want to introduce Mounts.

Again, if you had read, I can't point to an exact quote, but it stands to reason that five years without is a good long time for speculation to the contrary lol. I'm sure it was just like raids...people whined about it enough.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

Seriously though, how was it not in the budget to stick these guys in as a new playable race...for *this* expansion lol.

That should tell everyone that adding a race anywhere is a low value proposition in ANY expansion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Because it’s more than just a cosmetic thing. Tengu suddenly being a Commander when they’ve not been active for most of the timeline isn’t going to work.

So uh, explain Revs, and how there became waaaay too many, only after Rytlock fumbled his way into becoming one...he didn't teach anyone else lol.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

So uh, explain Revs, and how there became waaaay too many, only after Rytlock fumbled his way into becoming one...he didn't teach anyone else lol.

Rev is a new Class, not a'n entire new race ...

You can argue about the implementation, but it's a comparison like night and day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

I agree and it is the same with the elites as well. It’s a case of moderating the suspension of disbelief. Races would likely feel considerably more jarring and lore breaking than professions.

Personally I’m not bothered, but it’s understandable that the devs are

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Might be something to do with the fact they've clearly stated that new races are "off the table".

Not completly true. Data Minings showed that Anet experimented to bring them to the game. But it seems it would be a big work because all Outfits, Armor etc. had to be reworked for them to fit. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Rev is a new Class, not a'n entire new race ...

You can argue about the implementation, but it's a comparison like night and day.

You still have to explain the lore behind them, which then never did...or is story, or short cutscene explanation a "low value proposition" as well lol.

• Confused 1

Honestly when they said that adding Charr as a race was a huge mistake and stated that they would never add new races, that right there was enough of a confirmation that new races will not be a thing. Saying no mounts, expacs ect is something that could change, however them stating that they regret adding in a race we already have due to cosmetic design changes... was quite substantial. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

You still have to explain the lore behind them, which then never did...or is story, or short cutscene explanation a "low value proposition" as well lol.

LOL no he doesn't. You think people needs to explain something to justify the status quo? I don't think you understand how this works. Again, no logic you are going to present will show Anet they are wrong to not add Tengu as a race ... because this is not a lore or game mechanics decision, it's a business decision. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Greymantle.9168 said:

Well then can do visuals just fine, and add new specs. It seems the real reason was because of the armor? Seems kinds of lazy, if you think about all that's in the game now lol.

has nothing to do with lazy ... but more of that low value you don't seem to want to acknowledge. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

LOL no he doesn't. You think people needs to explain something to justify the status quo? I don't think you understand how this works. 

To whom do you speak of...this "he"? Figure that one new rev in the game (Rytlock) does not mean many. So were they hiding under a rock this whole time?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

To whom do you speak of...this "he"? Figure that one new rev in the game (Rytlock) does not mean many. So were they hiding under a rock this whole time?

You can argue all you want for Tengu race should have been in EoD, but you already have your answer. No amount or lore discussions or argument will change that. It's a business decision ... and clearly adding Tengu as a new race ... probably a pretty bad one given the low value it offers Anet and players. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

has nothing to do with lazy ... but more of that low value you don't seem to want to acknowledge. 

I can tell by your near 10k posts, you've been here a bit...I would think long enough to know that no value to you, does not mean no value to others....You can disagree with my wants if you want, doesn't matter to me. Just be a bit of continuity lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

As I said, you can argue about the implementation. I myself don't care about such things.
But with Tengu it is not only about that it Lore-wise for many would be annoying. That would be a completely new model, to which Anet would have to adapt EVERYTHING, would have to develop new animations, would have to hire speakers, would have to adapt old story's, ect. ect.

And even if you had made it so that they were only playable from EOD, it would still have meant so much effort.
Personally, I'm not against a new race and most people will label my opinion as hate again, but I don't think Anet is able to justify all this work at the moment without leaving other things, which already take a long time, even longer.

3 minutes ago, Greymantle.9168 said:

I can tell by your near 10k posts, you've been here a bit...I would think long enough to know that no value to you, does not mean no value to others....You can disagree with my wants if you want, doesn't matter to me. Just be a bit of continuity lol.

I can tell you haven't been around much if you think Anet is going to have all players subsidize low value game developments for a small subsection of the population. Again, these are business decisions. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

They dident.

Other then the expansion one were they tried living world season 1 and failed hard so revised that stance to give us a teaser of heart of thorns at the end of season 2.

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That should tell everyone that adding a race anywhere is a low value proposition in ANY expansion. 

Not if they added the Domain of Wind with some new bits of story and a tiny low level area, level 1-10. Though, it was not expected. 

• Like 1