I'm following new MMO releases, as well as the FFXIV hype.

The UI isn't perfect but I definitely appreciate how streamlined it is in GW2. I find it hard to watch gameplay for other MMOs in part because of how cluttered the UI tends to be and I'll spend the whole video/stream wondering what something is because it's not always intuitive.

31 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

You cropped most of the UI out and name tags can be turned off. Which isn't to say GW2 doesn't have issues of too many lights and effects, but you can make anything look good or bad if you crop to what you want to focus on. The UI artist(s) likely aren't the same people who make spell animations and items, either

Also any fantasy MMO would look like that when 50 people are spamming their skills and wearing shiny armour in a tiny area.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Yes but it comes from visual effects, not from the UI, so it's off-topic.

Except it isn't off topic. OP literally said "so many MMOs fill the screen with useless clutter". This is useless clutter. Please try to stay on topic 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 10

You say useless clutter but as an example, in FFXIV you have total control over how the UI looks, you can even create ingame macros to make buttons to hide sections of the UI, so in a sense you could have a 'combat' mode and a settings mode.

Guild Wars 2 UI is ok, but it lacks any sort of zoom controls when previewing items, UI scaling or positioning, extra buttons for the popular used items (portable mystic forge as an example) to allow you to use an item without having to open your bags. This being said, yes it is tidy and doesnt block your screen up.

One thing Id love, control over effects, world bosses are nasty to fight as all you see is blast upon blast of player effects. Even in 'raid' content player effects can be too dominant. Maybe we'll see an option with the upgrade to DX11 one hopes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You can modify your UI in other games. In WoW you can use addons while FFXIV offers ingame HUD editor, actually its nearly the same what Guild Wars 1 had, so that Trumps GW2s UI easily + even the effects are removeable so things like the above pic wont happen

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jin.8501 said:

You can modify your UI in other games. In WoW you can use addons while FFXIV offers ingame HUD editor, actually its nearly the same what Guild Wars 1 had, so that Trumps GW2s UI easily + even the effects are removeable so things like the above pic wont happen

Thats about the only thing i thought FFXIV did better than GW2.

GW2 really really needs to update their settings and options to be on par with more modern games. Hopefully they are already working on it, given how much negative feedback they get when it comes to such things.

11 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

Thats about the only thing i thought FFXIV did better than GW2.

I prefer gw2 combat system, mount system, wardrobe etc..

But i play way more ffxiv in the end cause they have more content, specially in group content.

They have more bugdet from sub it's true but that don't explain everything.

Honestly we have like 1 group instance every year in gw2.... nowdays.

Doing the same best gold farm again and again start to be old, and you only have few you can swap if you are tired from it because for a game that have a lot of meta event and others only a few really reward you.

The gameplay loop of gw2 honestly need a rework, and it's caused by many issue they are not too hard to fix honestly.

At this point i only log in gw2 for my weekly Raids Clears and maybe ounce in a while if i have a whim i do pvp or strikes but that it.

Also the story of ffixv amazing i guess, what do gw2 have to him?
If we ignore the big content drought caused by a lot of kitten what do gw2 do better than others mmo nowdays is map, QoL and meta event (and they have problem with rewards), they lack a lot on others stuff honestly.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

I prefer gw2 combat system, mount system, wardrobe etc..

But i play way more ffxiv in the end cause they have more content, specially in group content.

They have more bugdet from sub it's true but that don't explain everything.

Honestly we have like 1 group instance every year in gw2.... nowdays.

Doing the same best gold farm again and again start to be old, and you only have few you can swap if you are tired from it because for a game that have a lot of meta event and others only a few really reward you.

The gameplay loop of gw2 honestly need a rework, and it's caused by many issue they are not too hard to fix honestly.

At this point i only log in gw2 for my weekly Raids Clears and maybe ounce in a while if i have a whim i do pvp or strikes but that it.

Also the story of ffixv amazing i guess, what do gw2 have to him?
If we ignore the big content drought caused by a lot of kitten what do gw2 do better than others mmo nowdays is map, QoL and meta event (and they have problem with rewards), they lack a lot on others stuff honestly.

I dont enjoy instanced content all that much due to how long it usually takes to do said content so thats a plus for me, raids imo where a mistake, and well they abandoned them due to how few folks did/do them.

I havent farmed gold in this game for years, and im rarely in the same map doing the same thing for long if at all. To much stuff to do.

The story of GW2 is flat average, and i honestly dont even know what FFXIVs story was. Yes, i played it for about 30 hours, no i dont remember doing any story in that time. Fetch quest after fetch quest. -gag-.

14 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

And watching all those videos, seeing all those games has made me realize how grateful I am for GW2's clean UI.

Holy kitty, so many MMOs fill the screen with useless clutter, it's unbelievable. 

but its imo too clean. some improvements wouldn't hurt.

1. bigger and moveable boons and conditions
  2. bigger enemie healthbar with boons and conditions on each healthbar
  3. new toolbars for consumable and stuff so we dont need to open our inventory everytime
  4. trackable CDs on the other weapon
  5. a (new) mount UI

but overall i like the GW2 UI and the art style

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

but its imo too clean. some improvements wouldn't hurt.

1. bigger and moveable boons and conditions

Oh god, the boon UI is awful. Always moving around, so any bosses with specific debuffs. For example, the PoF bounties. Impossible to just mouse over and see what they say when they keep moving out of place when a new buff or condition appears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

I've read this again and again, but I honestly don't get it. This is your entertainment time, not your job that you do for a living. Why this fixation on rewards, rather than on content that entertains you???

Do you choose which movie to watch by which gives the best reward? TV shows? Music you listen to? Do you choose what sports to do or what books to read based on which one gives the best rewards? Why do you even play a game if all you do is repeat activities that apparently give the biggest amount of imaginary play money?

Unless you are selling in-game currencies and goods for real world currency (which I'm not saying you are), I see zero reason to reduce a game to the virtual goodies you can "gain" by playing it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

It's a screen filled with useless clutter.

No? You configured your settings to see everyone's name, which is totally unnecessary. You literally put that there on purpose, and it takes like 3 seconds to disable and never see your screen like that again

3 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

No? You configured your settings to see everyone's name, which is totally unnecessary. You literally put that there on purpose, and it takes like 3 seconds to disable and never see your screen like that again

Actually i took the screenshot from another thread filled with similar pictures. The original picture was unedited, default settings, but the dumb forum wouldn't accept it. I tried the current picture, which also failed to post, and then gave up and posted it as the link you see.

Good response though, doggedly defending game issues to the death...salute.

5 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Uncheck Show player names. "Game issue" solved!

Are you...missing the enormous particle effect spam? The huge shiny colours taking up the obvious target? The target whose animations are meant to signal different phases, e.g., attack telegraphs. The names aren't taking up that space, the effects are. 

In fact, the game has actually culled the players in that picture in order to display the visual diarrhoea, meaning that if it weren't for the name tags, you wouldn't even know you were playing with other players. In an MMO.

Edited by LSD.4673

Was watching a video of "The Epic of Alexander" raid boss fight in ffxiv and it had the same issue... All spells of the players fighting there combined and made a visual vomit . Maybe all the mmo games these days have this issue. It's not specific to gw2. And to be fair, ley anomaly is a shiny bright entity and all his attacks are flashy and this outcome is inevitable.... But having said that, ffxiv even if being a major player in game industry and make wonderful graphics , couldn't manage the visual vomit in an instanced raid with only few players. If ffxiv would've made the ley anomaly fight it would've been disastrous and unplayable in openworld or instanced.

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871