Is anyone worried about the new warrior weapon in the upcoming expansion?

Verdict is Vengence.6912

So far, Anet is 0 for 2 in giving warriors cool weapons through expansions. Both weapons that warrior received with especs has been lackluster. First, they gave us a torch. A torch. A handheld nightlight. Enough said. Then they gave us a dagger. Not as bad but still lame, and we had the same animations as thieves too which was uncool imo.

Now, third times a charm. They can't botch this. The only thing weird they can give us is a scepter to poke people with.

With that said, is anyone worried that the new warrior weapon might suck thinking on what has been given to the warrior in the past?

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

I don't mind which weapon they'll give, as long as they do it right.

there's a giant list of demands for anet to fix core weapons and espec skills, yet they haven't do jack s. about it.

I wish there was a way to sue these things like you can with broken cars and other consumer products.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just hope it won't be pistol(s).

They can give Warrior staff and make it work as a spear or a glaive.

They can let Warriors finally be Paragons and let them throw sceptres, pretending they are javelins.

But given how Berserker and Spellbreaker are being handled, the new Warrior elite specialization will like have underwhelming damage as well.

That said, there shouldn't be any worry left, only acceptance and grief.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

You know? I just want a fun weapon cause im getting a bit bored of the current combos. So I kinda am afraid that we may get a subpar weapon. Which is why I am hoping for a good, functional two handed weapon. Cause it gives the most room for skills. And staff happens to fit the description. 

Anyway, whatever, I just hope it's gonna be a fun spec with interesting mechanics. I got Zerker, Core and Spellbreaker if I don't like it. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

You know? I just want a fun weapon cause im getting a bit bored of the current combos. So I kinda am afraid that we may get a subpar weapon. Which is why I am hoping for a good, functional two handed weapon. Cause it gives the most room for skills. And staff happens to fit the description. 

Anyway, whatever, I just hope it's gonna be a fun spec with interesting mechanics. I got Zerker, Core and Spellbreaker if I don't like it. 

I want to be fair: if many skills and flexility are what you are looking for, then pistols are a better choice for warrior. If warrior gets mainhand pistol, then they will also get the offhand, since anet mentioned that this is their thing as the weapon masters.

And dual wielding pistol would also give you 5 new weapon skills, but more possible weapon combinations since you can mix and match them with all the main- and offhand weapons warrior has available.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I want to be fair: if many skills and flexility are what you are looking for, then pistols are a better choice for warrior. If warrior gets mainhand pistol, then they will also get the offhand, since anet mentioned that this is their thing as the weapon masters.

And dual wielding pistol would also give you 5 new weapon skills, but more possible weapon combinations since you can mix and match them with all the main- and offhand weapons warrior has available.

Definitely. Why staff you may ask though? 

It relates to what Lan said above my comment. Shield OH. Just like GS probably a must have. Can pistols replace either weapon? Most probably no, considering how pistols work and how Warrior would most certainly not gain the same type of skills with pistols like Mesmer OH or fuel thief. It will probably be a mix between thief (projectiles) and engi (flavor with each shot). And we all know how engi and even thief dual pistols are treated by the community in competitive.. 

Staff tho? Give it 1 900 range mobility skill with no big animation. Give it a parry/block which can evade as a flip over backwards, give it an AoE cleave, give it a pbaoe cleave, quick autos and a blast-like finisher burst which spreads boons and boom. Perfect weapon. Hits every single thing warrior has to do or can do in melee without the need of shield or GS. An entirely unique style with no downside of being ranged and probably deflect-friendly. 

It also covers warrior in the spots where it currently hurts. Consider this a weapon mix of ranger GS and Daredevil staff. A middle ground between warrior GS and Hammer, with added survivability. 

What will the pistols do? Maybe 1 stun or daze skill. Maybe 2 projectile skills. Maybe 1 combo field skill. A farfetched better Brutal shot may be possible. I don't see potential there for the added fact that it's gonna be 600-900 ranged weapon and our 1200 range weapons don't even cover us in the ranged fights. 

Make us a proper melee spec duelist and I'll be happy.

Or I'm high and talk bs until we get the teaser. Maybe they will kitten up staff. Maybe they will make great pistols. Maybe they kitten up both and give us some focus bs or shrotbow so we can roleplay bad renegades. 

• Like 1

Given that the available options are things like pistols or staves, I would hope that the spec is not integrated around the new weapon and that viable builds exist for other weapons within the new elite spec.

I already despise the mechanic of weapon specialization, especially on a class that is engineered from the word go to have weapon swapping as the core mechanic. It is absurd. Imagine, your specialty is a greatsword, but you carry two axes on your offset to bypass ability cooldowns.

The less weapon specializations, the better.

That said, I would prefer a pistol to anything else because it serves better as an offset choice as the class is severely lacking in performance at midrange when immobilized or impeded by terrain/mass AoE. It often feels like diving through or directly into AoE is the mandatory tactical choice to contest objectives or secure kills when it is obviously discouraged by the combat mechanics. I would like an option to shoot at the enemy when there is Scourge and DH hell on a capture point because I only have so many cleanses for the absurd condition stacking when you so much as touch an objective. Since the game has doubled down on pools of death, I need something to do while I am standing there waiting.

• Like 1

Am I worried about the new weapon? No. What worries me is that the whole e-spec starts out weak and isn't buffed to be competitive or gets nerfed into the ground because it released overpowered. Bonus points if the elite spec is being adressed by nerfing core traits and skills.

• Like 3

As much as I would like to see a staff used as a spear, we don't have any decent ranged weapon, let alone one handed ranged weapons at all. So far we've received an offhand and dual daggers which could replace 2h weapon slot (we've received 5 new weapon skills) so it seems like we could receive a ranged weapons this time. I have nothing against pistols tbh.

For a staff, we also could throw it if they really wanted to make it a ranged weapon which would be great tbh because it wouldn't be a copy - paste from other classes like daredevil or core reve. They could reinvent it the other way aswell for example your staff swings create a wind wave projectiles that hits enemies within a mid range.

I'd personally would like a warrior to receive some love this time and expand the F skills up to 4 and make warrior a little bit more complex class. Also, I'd like to be more self dependable with utilities like stealth for example - could be usefull in a lot of scenarios in wvw, pvp and pve content. Idk, make warrior focused on combofields with barrels that explodes when you shot it with your offhand pistol with different effects in a spot you've placed them 😅.

I know how crazy it all sounds and that it won't happen but hey, at least I dont count on anet changing the focus to be mainhand so we could use it as fist weapons - just imagine how would it look when somoene put 2x The Binding of Ipos.... 2 books floating before you while you fight with.... fists? 😄

So far noone received pistols for espec (at least necro will get it this time as far as we know), scepter but it wouldn't fit a warrior, focus which wouldn't fit warrior as magic weapon aswell and a mace but we can use them already.

My bet is reinvented staff (please don't be a support spec, im tired of being support since 2012) or pistols to fill the missing one handed ranged wepon. No chance on bringing the spear from underwater since there won't be gen 3 underwater legendaries. If they wanted to do something that huge, they would hype us with it and give it a little bit love at least skinwise.

Incomming beta will probably cover all the light armor classes, who knows maybe they will surprise us with heavy classes next? I'm holding my fingers crossed 🙂

Edited by Grave.9258
  • Like 2

The core design philosophy for Warrior skills seems to be that they're one dimensional (aka in current year gw2, bad) so I don't really have much hope on this one. Hopefully the burst mechanic is good and the spec itself provides some way to reliably gain adrenaline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Don’t forget about shortbow. There’s always that for mid-range as well. 

I honestly cant see it. Shortbow wont bring anything new. Its mid range but its two handed, we already have a two handed condi and a power weapon. So by logic standing, for mid range it has to be a pistol.

25 minutes ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

I honestly cant see it. Shortbow wont bring anything new. Its mid range but its two handed, we already have a two handed condi and a power weapon. So by logic standing, for mid range it has to be a pistol.

And pistol won't necessarily bring anything that's not already covered by rifle either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And pistol won't necessarily bring anything that's not already covered by rifle either.

Warrior is the only core class that does not have a 1 handed ranged weapon. So 100% it will bring something new to the class, along with the many weapon combinations.

Edit:
If we end up getting staff or shortbow, and they end up being weapons that dont work in content, you have nothing to use but your core weapons, or even no combinations of weapons to make them work.

Edit II:
Some people have a theory that it will be focus as the weapon, however, warrior already has a warhorn which already buffs allies with both a shield and a damage buff. So with a process of elimination of weapons it cant be due to already having a counter part:
Focus and Shortbow can not be provided to the warrior as weapons already exist for the warrior (with the same number of hands using them)
Weapons it could be:
Staff - Condition damage - Warrior does not have a 2 handed condition damage weapon, you could say support at a push however there is a high risk of the weapon feeling very thin.

Pistol
Sceptor - curveball here, what if they provided magic to the warrior with some sort of jade energy power. (I personally would not like this one at all but its a possibility)

Edited by Smoosh.2718

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Blast finishers and/or fields to blast 😉

Actual damage.

Given how Arenanet treats Warrior, pistol on Warrior would more likely end up this way:

Skill #1: weakest Pistol auto attack in the game

Skill #2: a simple and boring volley attack, with 20% more damage than rifle, the same cooldown and doesn't benefit from the ammunition system

Skill #3: a strong charged (0,5 seconds) shot that applies daze (0,5 seconds); in PvP and WvW the Daze duration is halved and the damage next to nothing

Burst: a 300 knock back that also sends the Warrior 300 backwards

43 minutes ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

Warrior is the only core class that does not have a 1 handed ranged weapon. So 100% it will bring something new to the class, along with the many weapon combinations.

They may as well have Warriors throw sceptres as if they were javelins.

That'd be a one-handed ranged weapon as well.

Edit:
If we end up getting staff or shortbow, and they end up being weapons that dont work in content, you have nothing to use but your core weapons, or even no combinations of weapons to make them work.

The same goes for a pistol or a javelin.

Edit II:
Some people have a theory that it will be focus as the weapon, however, warrior already has a warhorn which already buffs allies with both a shield and a damage buff. So with a process of elimination of weapons it cant be due to already having a counter part:
Focus and Shortbow can not be provided to the warrior as weapons already exist for the warrior (with the same number of hands using them)
Weapons it could be:
Staff - Condition damage - Warrior does not have a 2 handed condition damage weapon, you could say support at a push however there is a high risk of the weapon feeling very thin.
Sceptor - curveball here, what if they provided magic to the warrior with some sort of jade energy power. (I personally would not like this one at all but its a possibility)

Similar to using sceptres to emulate javelins, foci could be used to emulate fist weapons.

Just because all current focus users use them for spells, doesn't mean Warrior has to cast spells with them as well.

Staff could be used as a spear with its primary focus in quick singled target and mobility/evasion. Ideally this would be less clunky to use than greatsword.

Shortbow could be used as a quickly attacking mid range and highly mobile power weapon, which is something that Warrior doesn't yet have access to.

But we can fantasize about this all we want, Arenanet could make any of these weapons great or (more like in the case of Warrior) terrible.

Unlike the wishful thinking of some people on the forums, Warrior getting pistol doesn't automatically make it a good weapon or have combo functionality.

Edited by Fueki.4753