What would a Gunslinger even do?

DanAlcedo.3281

Let's say War is getting P/P. 

What would that even do? 

While I can guess that the Weapon skills will be straightforward, I have no idea what the class mechanic or utility skill could be. 

Maybe a second bursts kill on F2 but that would be rather lackluster. Especially with Anet saying they break some rules this time. 

Utility skill? Literally no clue what that could be. 

While I agree that war could use some midrange but what role would that even fill that makes sense other then "it looks cool" 

Any ideas? 

Warrior lacks condi ranged. 

I personally would use utilities which changes the type of effects the attacks have on impact, similar to how Spider_Venom or Sharpening_Stone works giving different stacks of different effects. Unblockables, CC, Boon rip... you name it. 

Some mobility in the kit will be needed to reposition. Maybe the F1 is a shoot-while-leap similar to something like an Unload + Vault

Having projectiles would not mean single target thou, some ammunition utility skill or trait may give the gunslinger piercing or staggering projectiles attacks. 

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Warrior lacks condi ranged. 

We have longbow. We don't need any other condition based weapons.

With pistols, we could get a "two-handed" pistol that uses a Cup and Saucer hold on one pistol like the police SWAT and the soldiers in the army do. And maybe our gimmick would be akin to law enforcement or bounty hunting. Maybe tackles and arrests 😁.

If its dual pistols, we could get a highly mobile specialization. For example, for every shot in the 1 weapon skill chain could make us move while we fire and maybe it could have some evade in there. We could also get a dive while shooting like an action hero and go into a roll after that'll obviously be an evade. It'd be badazz if our dual pistols were more mobile than even greatsword. Imagine.

There's a lot they could do with pistols. Hopefully we get some better synergy than we we got in the previous two especs.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

....For example, for every shot in the 1 weapon skill chain could make us move while we fire and maybe it could have some evade in there. ....

You don't want that, here talking from the experience of suffering ranger's sword auto attack leap. Not a good idea. 

Mobility yes, leap in autos no thank you. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 1

Just now, anduriell.6280 said:

You don't want that, here talking from the experience of suffering ranger's sword auto attack leap. Not a good idea. 

Mobility yes, leap in autos no thank you. 

Oh, no. I wasn't talking about leaps. I was picturing shuffling steps like a cowboy and we'd get to choose which direction to shuffle in. But yea, a mobility weapon set is more needed than condition or support imo. A weapon skill set that equals greatsword in every way. I doubt it'll happen but I like to dream.

3 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What would that even do? 

While I can guess that the Weapon skills will be straightforward, I have no idea what the class mechanic or utility skill could be. 

Maybe a second bursts kill on F2 but that would be rather lackluster. Especially with Anet saying they break some rules this time. 

While I agree that war could use some midrange but what role would that even fill that makes sense other then "it looks cool" 

Any ideas? 

Necro is getting pistol , it was revealed in the expac stream. My bet is we're getting staff.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What would that even do? 

Any ideas? 

One of the espec ideas I posted was a pistol/pistol support spec with an F2 'Offhand' burst mechanic (two handers got a second burst).

The P/P weapon bar and Burst skills focused on quickly laying combo fields down and then blasting them. P2 was a very short CD moderate dps blast finisher AoE skill. F2 was also a blast finisher. P3, F1, P4, and P5 were all fields. For utilities I posited 'paper bombs' like you see ninja use in popular anime. Basically they created a field, like water for the heal skill, while producing an initial effect, and then self blasted their own fields. I think I had their radius at 600.

In the trait line I had things like enhanced effects on hitting with a field (things like pulsing cripple, weakness, vulnerability, and/or poison), enhanced personal DPS under certain conditions, and enhancing the effects of blast finishers. Said enhanced blast finishers with things like double the amount of steal on blasting a smoke field, protection for blasting a poison field, double healing when blasting a water field, etc.

The idea would be to stand in the mid line using your weapon bar fields to place them where they need to be to hinder the enemy and provide support condis like weakness and cripple, and blast said fields to help you friends in the area, then reposition to the front line or backline as needed to pop the needed 'paper bomb' skill.

It would ideally have been a fast paced spec that required focus and attention on the surrounding fight in order to be good, and not a faceroll spec.

19 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

One of the espec ideas I posted was a pistol/pistol support spec with an F2 'Offhand' burst mechanic (two handers got a second burst).

The P/P weapon bar and Burst skills focused on quickly laying combo fields down and then blasting them. P2 was a very short CD moderate dps blast finisher AoE skill. F2 was also a blast finisher. P3, F1, P4, and P5 were all fields. For utilities I posited 'paper bombs' like you see ninja use in popular anime. Basically they created a field, like water for the heal skill, while producing an initial effect, and then self blasted their own fields. I think I had their radius at 600.

In the trait line I had things like enhanced effects on hitting with a field (things like pulsing cripple, weakness, vulnerability, and/or poison), enhanced personal DPS under certain conditions, and enhancing the effects of blast finishers. Said enhanced blast finishers with things like double the amount of steal on blasting a smoke field, protection for blasting a poison field, double healing when blasting a water field, etc.

The idea would be to stand in the mid line using your weapon bar fields to place them where they need to be to hinder the enemy and provide support condis like weakness and cripple, and blast said fields to help you friends in the area, then reposition to the front line or backline as needed to pop the needed 'paper bomb' skill.

It would ideally have been a fast paced spec that required focus and attention on the surrounding fight in order to be good, and not a faceroll spec.

The problem I have with support pistols is that the skills would be projectiles. 

Unusable in Wvw. 

40 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The problem I have with support pistols is that the skills would be projectiles. 

Unusable in Wvw. 

Maybe, maybe not. I did put in utilities that are themselves not projectiles that would fill the gaps. As far as ranged blasting of fields, you have the freedom to put the targeting reticle on the part of the field that doesn't overlap with an enemy reflect/block.

41 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Maybe, maybe not. I did put in utilities that are themselves not projectiles that would fill the gaps. As far as ranged blasting of fields, you have the freedom to put the targeting reticle on the part of the field that doesn't overlap with an enemy reflect/block.

GM Trait: Gain x amount of unblockable attacks after a blast finisher. 

19 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Probably lots of quickness, swiftness on skills. I would give them shouts or stances (but that's already taken on warrior)

They could use Commands. Or a supportive kind of Preparations. But yeah... Shouts would have been my pick as well.

Why are you convinced its called 'gun slinger' thats a very light/medium armoured profession name. 'Bountyhunter' or 'Commando' (yes the meme anet set up made real) are much more fitting to the class, or even the already in game NPC 'Keeper' ( a heavy class using Pistol Pistol (this is why ontop of the logo's im convinced warrior will have this weapon)).

One of the big things im looking forward to is mixing and matching weapons with pistol to see which works for each type of content, how the traits function with the class, new mechanics and how the new skills will function.

7 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

PoF:

Soulbeast -> dagger

Spellbreaker -> dagger

Firebrand -> Axe mainhand

Mirage -> axe mainhand. 

etc.... 

HoT:
Ranger -> Staff

Thief -> Staff

Classes will always get the same weapons, could be two could be 3, honestly depends what they have lined up. Not quite sure where all these rules people seem to make up for new elite specs in the game lol. My new fave rule is 'the new elite spec cant be guardian, its facing the camera and posing wrong' Did tickle me.

• Like 3