ESpec Name - Willbender

Cisii.8317

I must admit, my own response was a bit of a "is that better or worse than dragonhunter".

Main problem is that it feels like a name for a mesmer elite spec. I guess we'll see how it shakes out. Maybe it's a 'willbender' not in that it bends the will of others but that it bends its own will as a weapon, kind of like an Avatar firebender except it's ALL blue?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kaizoku.1298 said:

Poor guardians always get lame ESpec names lol

So far… we’re at 2 for 3 on bad elite spec names in EoD…

Willbender seems completely counterintuitive to Guardian design and principles… the elite spec is described as being “the elite personal guard to the emperor and his ministry”… but “Willbender” sounds like an inquisitor or torturer… and it just doesn’t feel like an elite spec name either…

Virtuoso is also a terrible name for the new Mesmer elite spec… the name is great for A Mesmer elite spec… just not this one… what about throwing mind daggers around reads as a “Virtuoso”? The spec name implies a musical elite spec… Virtuoso should be a bow wielding spec with shouts and arias… supporting their allies while befuddling their foes… instead we have a dagger throwing mentalist… at least Guardian’s new elite spec name kinda fits the theme of the spec… but this one isn’t even in the same ballpark…

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

So far… we’re at 2 for 3 on bad elite spec names in EoD…

Willbender seems completely counterintuitive to Guardian design and principles… the elite spec is described as being “the elite personal guard to the emperor and his ministry”… but “Willbender” sounds like an inquisitor or torturer… and it just doesn’t feel like an elite spec name either…

Virtuoso is also a terrible name for the new Mesmer elite spec… the name is great for A Mesmer elite spec… just not this one… what about throwing mind daggers around reads as a “Virtuoso”? The spec name implies a musical elite spec… Virtuoso should be a bow wielding spec with shouts and arias… supporting their allies while befuddling their foes… instead we have a dagger throwing mentalist… at least Guardian’s new elite spec name kinda fits the theme of the spec… but this one isn’t even in the same ballpark…

Admittedly I'm not too thrilled about willbender. Though to the lore point you raised, last time we saw Cantha, it was devolving into a dictatorship, so the imperial guard might very well be closer to inquisitors than bodyguards.

As for virtuoso, the term applies to artists in general, not just musicians. Sure, knives are not very artistic, but I guess they have more pizazz than your regular old assassin.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294
  • Like 1

Willbender - to me it sounds like a cc spec. Bending the enemy to your will threw what else? Control skills. But that doesnt look like the case. Idk how they came up with the idea or name of willbender when they say its an elite gaurd for canthas royalty that would mean? Defence? Gaurd, protection, idk im just thinking out loud on what they said in the video.

I think that Paladin, Palatinate, Pretorian, Lifeguard, or similar would be better names for an Elite Spec inspired by royal guard. Granted, none of these are particularly Asian, but then you could have a Varangian guard situation where the Emperor trust lone Kurzicks or Luxons warriors as bodyguards more than Canthans because the Canthan nobility got too scheming and murderous while Kurzicks/Luxons can be executed without repercussion if they asssassinate the Emperor. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Legion.4198 said:

I think that Paladin, Palatinate, Pretorian, Lifeguard, or similar would be better names for an Elite Spec inspired by royal guard. Granted, none of these are particularly Asian, but then you could have a Varangian guard situation where the Emperor trust lone Kurzicks or Luxons warriors as bodyguards more than Canthans because the Canthan nobility got too scheming and murderous while Kurzicks/Luxons can be executed without repercussion if they asssassinate the Emperor. 

Ha now I am just picturing Lifeguards at the beach. Time to get out the lifejackets everyone.

• Haha 3

What part of Guardian means they have to be just? 

Just going by the forum header we have:

"Devoted defenders, smiting their foes with purifying flames."

Nothing about that says they have to be moral or just, only that they are devoted defenders.  Could be a White Mantle type slant on it for all we know...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Exile.8160 said:

Better than dragonhunter imho

wich doesnt feel nor look like a dragon hunter 😄 .

Neither Dragon Hunter hunts dragons nor Will Bender will make any one bending, feels that long animation of slaping and kicking will make spammer and one burst builds can have time to  make coffee, read the newspaper and then burst the "will bender" down.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

wich doesnt feel nor look like a dragon hunter 😄 .

Neither Dragon Hunter hunts dragons nor Will Bender will make any one bending, feels that long animation of slaping and kicking will make spammer and one burst builds can have time to  make coffee, read the newspaper and then burst the "will bender" down.

Would have prefer something like willbreaker but oh well guard will be for ever curse with lame E spec names lol 

I don't know what name I would have gone with, but it's funny. Described as guards for the Cantha Emperor, wields 2 swords. Wields magic. So basically we're Shiro?

But I completely agree that Dragonhunter was a dumb name and still is to this day. Firebrand made sense. Willbender, eh, gonna have to see it in action I guess.