Underwater combat

Max.5280

20 minutes ago, Max.5280 said:

Yes, but there's no new content for it, hasn't been for ages. Just the fractal. The pvp map that had aquatic combat has been changed in the past as well

True. I guess it’s because underwater combat is not very popular among the majority of players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yoni.7015 said:

True. I guess it’s because underwater combat is not very popular among the majority of players. 

To be fair they also never tried to make it better.

Its a hot mess and would require a total overhaul to be even remotely fun and well..i dont think they will do one. Even the new legendaries dont include any UW weapons. So i doubt UW combat will be getting that overhaul.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Arena doesn't even do Underwater weapon skins anymore. They didn't even add Legendary Aqua Breathers. And i would love to match my Helmet stats to Breather stats in all templates.

Underwater stuff pretty much dead.

But i do not dislike it.

Edited by Aeon.4583

4 hours ago, Aeon.4583 said:

Arena doesn't even do Underwater weapon skins anymore. They didn't even add Legendary Aqua Breathers. And i would love to match my Helmet stats to Breather stats in all templates.

Underwater stuff pretty much dead.

But i do not dislike it.

You can always get the ascended Breathers from Bitterfrost Frontier.

But I agree that the lack of new underwater content is saddening.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2

Underwater could actually be decent if they did an overhaul. Likewise, they probably should stop making underwater areas so large. Unless they want to make an underwater griffon, you're essentially traveling the same space as one but significantly slower.

The only reason why there's negative stigma around it is because it hasn't really been touched in years unlike pretty much every facet of the game. The devs think that means it's a waste of time to work on it but it's literally a result of their own making imo

They could probably even just adjust the physics to be slightly less slippery and it'd likely be less hated from that alone

Edited by Kalocin.5982
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I've always wished they'd just let us use our normal weapons (and all utilities) in the water and just tweak the animations for them. Move harpoons and etc to land+water. The dream. Was one of my big hopes with going to Cantha involving a lot of water travel and wondering if boats would be added (and they were) with more underwater content.

Some things don't really make sense that they're not useable underwater, like Shadow Refuge, which could just spawn a sphere around you like the guardian's ground target sanctuary bubble does in water. So it's like the fix required for a lot of these things have already solved they just need to make the effort to apply it to everything similar.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

The less time and developer resources given to underwater content the better.

One of the biggest signs that this content is awful is we are being given a second mount to skip over it in EoD in the form of a skiff.

I am fully aware that UW content is something many players don't like. Maybe it's the extra peces of gear or the 3-axis movement that gets to some. For me it's more of an immersion thing while exploring. If JI see a body of water I know I can go there, I can dive into it and maybe find something. ANet did this extremly well in the core maps when compared to other games.
But yes, there are many reasons for ANet to not spend resources on this feature and I doubt they ever will. A good sign for this is also that gen3 legendaries don't have UW-weapons, this is especially telling, since for gen3 all they had to do was a slight rework of the rifle/staff skin to get the UW-skins.

• Like 1

It’s one of my only disappointments in the open world content where underwater was mostly ignored post launch. Even to the point to see some things removed in starter areas during the NPE.

It never needed a full revamp it just needed to be included where appropriate. Ember Bay, Maguuma (that underground river could have been a bit more than an empty channel), Thunderhead - all had rather pointless water areas that could have had reasons to explore.

I get they had to drop skins to keep the workload down, but to cut out so many possible skins was disappointing.

It is seemingly gone for good from future development which is a shame because it was well done and a pioneering part of the game at launch. I guess we cant all have nice things

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, lokh.2695 said:

I am fully aware that UW content is something many players don't like. Maybe it's the extra peces of gear or the 3-axis movement that gets to some.

Posts like this that assume people don't like the content because they are somehow deficient do no favours to the game.

Plenty of us have zero problems with the third axis or the extra gear pieces.

Some of us dislike the flow of the combat, or find the movement janky. Some of us dislike the enemy skills or the overuse of certain cheap mechanics.

Dismissing that feedback with these kind of "you just don't know..." posts is just another variant of "git gud".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Agreed with most points.  Some things they could do to make it more appealing:

- Homogenize the ground to underwater combat, skills and gear. If I’m playing a particular profession and build, I don’t want my gear (helmet) and gameplay to change entirely going underwater.  Certainly we can have different builds going underwater, but make that a choice. 

This also could result in skills being retooled and not underwater ONLY. More bang for buck and nothing wasted.

- Make the aqua breather a ‘skin only’ feature much like the how the glider is right now. Maybe even tie certain advantages to a mastery line. That way the function and feel is still there but it’s no longer tied to gear.

- Make the Trident, Spear and Harpoon gun land based as well with the skill retooled so they work both on land and water. Perhaps make them the best choice for underwater combat but still viable anywhere. 

- A Mastery line related to underwater, having to do with mostly exploration, such as being able to use currents to swim faster or be directed to treasure much like how leyline gliding works. Treasure hunting, temporary underwater mounts with combat tied in such as grabbing the fin of a dolphin or shark and riding it. Perhaps certain movement abilities on certain temporary mounts can take you to unreachable areas due to currents, coral reefs, whirlpools, dense schools or pods of sea life, etc

These are just a few things that could be implemented in a variety of ways and I feel could be used throughout the games many modes. Consistently adding variety and fun to the game while still keeping combat similar so it’s not so jarring. 

Edited by IYield.1204
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I always had the idea with UW content. They could make masteries that let you use your land skills and weapons underwater. To do so would “sink” you to the water floor, and you can fight normally. Or, you could swim if you prefer. Another mastery could allow you to use UW skills on land. Why? Because they can! Lol why not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

You can always get the ascended Breathers from Bitterfrost Frontier.

But I agree that the lack of new underwater content is saddening.

Thats also means you will have to add Infusions in all Breathers for all Templates. With Legendary Breather it can be one Infusion for all Templates. I, for example, add atleast one +20 swim speed per character. And it will not be cheap to add 6(atmost) per character.

Edited by Aeon.4583

41 minutes ago, Aeon.4583 said:

Thats also means you will have to add Infusions in all Breathers for all Templates. With Legendary Breather it can be one Infusion for all Templates. I, for example, add atleast one +20 swim speed per character. And it will not be cheap to add 6(atmost) per character.

Infusions can be shared across templates on the same character mate.

Underwater combat was removed from the game by design OP has a point, i purely pvp only and I too would like underwater combat back in some way. But this community dislikes anything slightly difficult you just can't afk zerg in so i doubt it.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

I have been told 1st few years in WvW there was an island in the middle of the map where players had to get some items underwater. I was informed there were a lot of underwater battles via zerg, havoc groups, or roamers. There were always someone fighting underwater. Currently in WvW there are some fights underwater as well and sometimes you can lure a few to chase you and fight them as well.

In PVE there are some under water boss fights as well. I also think there are some underwater swim speed infusions which I have not yet looked into how to get them.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Posts like this that assume people don't like the content because they are somehow deficient do no favours to the game.

Plenty of us have zero problems with the third axis or the extra gear pieces.

Some of us dislike the flow of the combat, or find the movement janky. Some of us dislike the enemy skills or the overuse of certain cheap mechanics.

Dismissing that feedback with these kind of "you just don't know..." posts is just another variant of "git gud".

Ngl, your feedback and feedback like yours should be 100% dismissed.

People like you ask to remove things that you dislike to the detriment to the game. Anytime anyone hears the word remove something because of flow of combat it is 100% a l2p issue that should be ignored.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Underwater combat was removed from the game by design OP has a point, i purely pvp only and I too would like underwater combat back in some way. But this community dislikes anything slightly difficult you just can't afk zerg in so i doubt it.

2 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Ngl, your feedback and feedback like yours should be 100% dismissed.

People like you ask to remove things that you dislike to the detriment to the game. Anytime anyone hears the word remove something because of flow of combat it is 100% a l2p issue that should be ignored.

Toxic comments like these should be flat out ignored and dismissed. You arent some almighty allknowing god. You dont know what kind of player mindcircus, or anyone else who has issues with underwater combat are like.

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Full underwater combat rework and new underwater meta map ending in a huge boss fight (bubbles?) Anet, GO, GO, GO (please!!!)!

If anet reworked underwater combat, and i mean fully, id be down for that, probably never happen, and if we fight the dsd i bet we end up doing it from skiffs.