Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

5 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Correction: Human "Female" light cultural T3. Anet tries to avoid males at all cost even though we grew up on Pro Wrestling where men just wore spandex trunks and nothing else aside from maybe shoes and knee/elbow pads to make movement and flexibility easier and less things for the enemy to grapple onto or get tangled in. Majority of the male armor I can't imagine a person easily running around and dodge rolling everywhere in the way we do, especially Thieves. And most things would be impossible to swim in.

You might be surprised, I've seen videos of people doing tumbling, cartwheels, and the like while wearing historically accurate full plate armor (Here's one one such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc ). There are even some people that have been able to swim reasonably well while wearing chain-mail armor.  Add in the existence of magic, magi-tech and metals that don't exist IRL like mithril there exists the possibility that even the heavy armors are as or even less restrictive and weighty than the full kit of a modern day soldier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

You might be surprised, I've seen videos of people doing tumbling, cartwheels, and the like while wearing historically accurate full plate armor (Here's one one such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc ). There are even some people that have been able to swim reasonably well while wearing chain-mail armor.  Add in the existence of magic, magi-tech and metals that don't exist IRL like mithril there exists the possibility that even the heavy armors are as or even less restrictive and weighty than the full kit of a modern day soldier.

never heard of the Battle of Agincourt, huh? Meme videos of people fooling around it's not the same as real combat.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

never heard of the Battle of Agincourt, huh? Meme videos of people fooling around it's not the same as real combat.

You know, there is very little more ASININE than making assumptions about what another person knows about or has heard of, especially when make such a conclusion on such a small amount of info.  And claiming that the mud-fields of Agincourt actually has any bearing on what I posted earlier is equally fallacious, most of the infantry soldiers were only wearing chain-mail or gambeson and as such it was primarily their body weight that was making them sink, it would be like saying the existence of quicksand disproves a person can be agile or swim in armor.
As for "MEME VIDEOS", if you "rewatch" the compilation vid I posted you could have can see that one of the clips comes from NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.  Much of the rest of the various videos and films are made by Medieval enthusiasts and official historians, people to take part in HEMA and reenactments and know about as much about the physicality of Medieval combat as a living person can manage without a time machine.  I'll take their 'MEME VIDEOS' over the kitten of people like you any day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

you take NG seriously? Ok, I guess... 🙄

I am amused when people criticize sources, but fail to give examples of sources that they would find acceptable.  In my opinion, you don't want him to find truth or to learn. I believe you just want to mock him again, no matter what source he cites next.  Simply claim that the opposition's research is garbage untill they give up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

You might be surprised, I've seen videos of people doing tumbling, cartwheels, and the like while wearing historically accurate full plate armor (Here's one one such: ). There are even some people that have been able to swim reasonably well while wearing chain-mail armor.  Add in the existence of magic, magi-tech and metals that don't exist IRL like mithril there exists the possibility that even the heavy armors are as or even less restrictive and weighty than the full kit of a modern day soldier.

Looks really slow and draining, which is pretty accurate. Also no ones going to swim in that.

I like how Dark Souls treated armor where lighter = faster movement and faster dodging. I helped someone defeat a boss they struggled on for hours by telling him to take off all his armor which he thought was silly at first but he was fighting a fast multistriking boss in heavy armor. A few tries later he caved and removed it all and won in a single try naked with no damage taken because of how much easier to dodge it was.

It's not just about weight either but too many baggy parts flying around as well with all the giant trenchcoats. You just dont wear stuff like that if you care about movement. It's also why people keep making fun of superheroes about wearing capes (which was even poked fun at and used against someone recently in "The Boys") because it's a bad idea since they can be grabbed, caught or tangled along with their weight~ which also becomes heavier when wet. People can wear them if they want but for us rational agile ladz and those who enjoy swimming we could use some options at all.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

All the battling in here is just making me want a Southsun-themed WvW or PvP map. They could top it off with micro-events like scoring the most points in a volleyball match, pulling tricks on a surfboard, or fighting a high-power Karka boss for bonus loot.

While wearing swimwear, naturally.

Surfboards could be a nice boat idea. Barely any room to stand but it could work XD It'd have to be a solo boat though unless we can carry them on our shoulders.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Surfboards could be a nice boat idea. Barely any room to stand but it could work XD It'd have to be a solo boat though unless we can carry them on our shoulders.

So it isn't a nice boat idea since it would require to change boat mechanics, which is not what skins do 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I've thought about this since boats came out and the seating issue for single-person crafts could be solved creatively by having passengers get towed behind on life preservers, Zephyrite-style kites/parasails, or even a small train of tiny one-person boats; most boat skins already have custom seating arrangements so this would just be more of the same (tea table is a prime example of how it'd work; starts with one chair, adds another if someone sits). It'd be nice to have a fishing canoe or kayak for solo sessions.

Alternatively, one-man rides could be relegated to water-treading novelties and side-step the problem completely (ie: not using the Skiff system at all, novelties purely for fun). We already have single-person mounts and toys such as the riding broom, so if they felt like it, they'd already have the tech to make it work.

When fun is your goal, the possibilities are endless. 👀

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So it isn't a nice boat idea since it would require to change boat mechanics, which is not what skins do 😄

Nah boat skins already have a pretty big effect overall when it comes to size actually mattering. The preorder skiff has a lot more surface area to stand on than the default and the Canoe one has very little space. It's just the passenger aspect that makes it tricky. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

This thread goes to odd places. The simple fact, again, is just wanting swimsuits. Would I settle for dye-able underwear? Yes. Should we have to? No. Though I do find Anet's current trends interesting. When did a liberal company get so conservative in their styling. 👀

Yet to see a convincing argument against, mind you.

"They don't have time." Wrong, they do. Check the gemstore.
"Mah immersion" Magical girl outfits, next
"think of the children" weird American puritanism go away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

31 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

"think of the children" weird American puritanism go away.

Literal complaint from some people now suddenly wanting to run in panties into battle 🙃

Yet to see a convincing argument for, mind you.

Want to run around Labirynth Cliffs in matching clothes? Use changing tents, which are there for a reason.

Want to jump into water in matching outfit? Use diving goggles and they do that for you in a context appropriate situation.

Want to run around in panties pretending "it addresses style deficiencies"🤦‍♂️? Consider drinking some water if you're that thirsty.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Literal complaint from some people now suddenly wanting to run in panties into battle 🙃

Yet to see a convincing argument for, mind you.

Want to run around Labirynth Cliffs in matching clothes? Use changing tents, which are there for a reason.

Want to jump into water in matching outfit? Use diving goggles and they do that for you in a context appropriate situation.

Want to run around in panties pretending "it addresses style deficiencies"🤦‍♂️? Consider drinking some water if you're that thirsty.

Revenue. That's just one, but probably one of the most important.

That was easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

How do you cover a cost for something already in the game. Do I cover the costs of the guy from 2013 who put them in?

Also the 3 of us are millionaires, so, the joke's on you.I'm also the heir to the Swimco. fortune. I also own the concept of the beach. Frankly I'm just more qualified.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

If it was already in the game, you wouldn't be complaining about it not being in the game.

Unless you're just talking about dye-able underwear now then sure.

6 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Also the 3 of us are millionaires, so, the joke's on you.I'm also the heir to the Swimco. fortune. I also own the concept of the beach. Frankly I'm just more qualified.

Weird.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If it was already in the game, you wouldn't be complaining about it not being in the game.

I'm going to assume you're being genuine here. The issue is that NPCs can wear them, but PCs can't. When using a changing booth, for example, your character is forced in to their underwear. If you've never been to a beach before, I can tell you swimsuits and underwear are not interchangeable.

Also I just realized 'They have other things to sell' - What business works like that?

'Should we increase sales through more products?'
'No'
???

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

I'm going to assume you're being genuine here. The issue is that NPCs can wear them, but PCs can't. When using a changing booth, for example, your character is forced in to their underwear. If you've never been to a beach before, I can tell you swimsuits and underwear are not interchangeable.

Only if you don't understand swimsuits have different styles, which apparently you don't by excluding "this one you dislike".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Only if you don't understand swimsuits have different styles, which apparently you don't by excluding "this one you dislike".

This one I don't like? Do you- Do you mean underwear? To the beach? You're right, I don't like wearing underwear to the beach. For multiple reasons. It's weird, you look weird, it's uncomfortable, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Altonese.6542 said:

This one I don't like? Do you- Do you mean underwear? To the beach? You're right, I don't like wearing underwear to the beach. For multiple reasons. It's weird, you look weird, it's uncomfortable, etc.

Do you no understand what "they come in different styles" means or did you just decide to skip that part intentionally? Yes that "kind of looks like underwear" can and is also one of the swimwear types whether you like it or not. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4