Viable Spvp ranger build for ranked?

Aylpse.6280

Please, anything. I hate playing Guard and Necro just to get points. I want to play a class I actually enjoy but I am terrible at sic'em soulbeast and die to quickly and get too frustrated to learn it. At this point I am considering just quitting outright again because there is no way catch up to plat+ players let alone reach the top. There are no resources. There are no people to ask for advice. There are no places to learn. I've given this game 8 years on and off and still can't climb the wall.

Edited by Aylpse.6280
  • Confused 2

On 8/19/2021 at 5:29 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Ranger is not the class for PvP if you want to climb, many has told you already.

The sicem noobstomper does not work against normal players. The complaining in the forums are very disingenuous, usually are from player who is raging and needs something to complain about. 

Lmao what? Ranger is great in PVP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

It's in a good place (ignoring low hanging fruit), but it isn't a carry class for solo climbing.

I actually feel ranger in the current meta is a great class for solo climbing, cause you have a vast variety builds that can take you up to gold 3 / plat 1 range. 
With the variety you can take a loadout that matches whatever your team setup looks like, which is key in my opinion for when you wanna climb anything solo.
The options get's more limited when you enter plat, so I guess it comes down to how far you wanna climb?

The Core Valkyrie GS / A/D build is a solid power duelist
You can play condi trapper Core/Druid/Soulbest (I see plenty of variances of this in gold 3 / plat 1 this season)
In some matchups you can still play a decapping side note druid if you don't have a thief
You can also still find success with Sic'em burst builds until you hit plat  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

I actually feel ranger in the current meta is a great class for solo climbing, cause you have a vast variety builds that can take you up to gold 3 / plat 1 range. 

Ranger has a decent build variety, but the classes that carry in plat will only carry harder in gold.

I play in plat, ranger isn't much of a carry class in those tiers. Core valkyrie is okay, it gets (soft)countered by fire weavers and spellbreakers (and I personally think it's extremely boring to play, but that's beside the point). Trapper runes still provides some options for different trapper builds, but they also get worse as you climb. I also get the feeling Anet will remove those runes from PvP at some point.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 2

Play core valkyrie with a/d gs - this can definitely carry you far if you win your 1v1s and monkey around when +'d. That being said this build will not carry you forever,

or

learn sic em better. The damage can carry rank really well but it is far less forgiving.

or

both!

Edited by Eurantien.4632
  • Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Ranger is not the class for PvP if you want to climb, many has told you already.

The sicem noobstomper does not work against normal players. The complaining in the forums are very disingenuous, usually are from player who is raging and needs something to complain about. 

please dont give him kitten ideas.
to OP
Ranger is very good in pvp, and is blessed by having SEVERAL good builds.
I don't think that any of the builds is S tier levels but having 3-4 very different B-A tier builds is nice.
1 sic em 1shot monkey for fun build
2 core ranger sidenoder, 2 variations one with axe ( tankier ) one with bow ( worse but can also roam better )
3 normal condi slb ( decent side-noder )
4 trapper condi slb ( personally I think its worse on side-nodes, but its VERY good at roaming -> got over 20 win streak on variations of this build )

If you wanna start out try
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Core_Valkyrie
as side-noder, change valk for demo/maruder and use that untill you know how to use 100% crit bonuses to get the damage off, you can play with amulet/runes, like berserker + dolyak for example.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUhjlVw+YTMP2JW+Oqv/BMB-zZoKjMrgeTB/HA
this is the build I am playing around currently ( I think someone else made it, dont give me credit )
Im 1650 rating rn so at the very least its playable.
try condi, try core, try slb each plays differently and might be for you more.
personally I usually play super glass power slb or side-noding oriented duelist.

• Like 6

On 8/31/2021 at 1:48 AM, Eurantien.4632 said:

Play core valkyrie with a/d gs - this can definitely carry you far if you win your 1v1s and monkey around when +'d. That being said this build will not carry you forever,

or

learn sic em better. The damage can carry rank really well but it is far less forgiving.

or

both!

Both builds and you only decide what your team needs most and ez gaming 

But not only learn the build also learn what your enemy's do, esp against guards many players use all Their dmg while they have a trillion blocks available bait the blocks and than kill em

You don't need a build. You need to man up.
Ready builds are great, sure, but what good will that do if you're naturally uncompatible with them? What if meta build is a roamer but you prefer bunking points, not running marathons? What if meta build is duelist, while you want to support the team?

Make your own build and refine it. It's real easy:
1. Make a build.

2. Get destroyed.

3. Understand what went wrong (like not enough condi cleanses, or crap mobility etc).

4. Look over skills, traits and wiki and fix the hole in the wall while trying to stick to something that generally synergizes well. For example if you find yourself relying on survival skills, selecting wildreness survival traitline is pretty much the good play here.

Eventually through this process of refinement you will create a build that works for you. But unlike using a ready build, you will understand ins and outs of it far better and that will be critical. Because next step is to uncover the builds own inner synergies and several plays that can only be made by someone who knows it through and through and has accumulated combat experience on it.

And most importantly it'll focus on doing what you naturally do.  Because you made it with your own, instinctive purpose and playstyle in mind.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 9/8/2021 at 8:14 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Ready builds are great, sure, but what good will that do if you're naturally uncompatible with them? What if meta build is a roamer but you prefer bunking points, not running marathons? What if meta build is duelist, while you want to support the team?

1. Make a build.

2. Get destroyed.

3. Understand what went wrong (like not enough condi cleanses, or crap mobility etc).

4. Look over skills, traits and wiki and fix the hole in the wall while trying to stick to something that generally synergizes well. For example if you find yourself relying on survival skills, selecting wildreness survival traitline is pretty much the good play here.

Eventually through this process of refinement you will create a build that works for you. But unlike using a ready build, you will understand ins and outs of it far better and that will be critical. Because next step is to uncover the builds own inner synergies and several plays that can only be made by someone who knows it through and through and has accumulated combat experience on it.

And most importantly it'll focus on doing what you naturally do.  Because you made it with your own, instinctive purpose and playstyle in mind.

expecting someone new to read a kittening encyclopedia and do academical research is stupid, and demoralizing to new player exp.
New person should grab a build that is decent, and have fun. Matchups. roles, and build variations will come with time.
You DONT want to end up like me ( playing " condi " chrono without knowing you need to actually change amulet to condi one lul )
People learn by doing more then they learn by reading.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 2:03 AM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

expecting someone new to read a kittening encyclopedia and do academical research is stupid, and demoralizing to new player exp.
New person should grab a build that is decent, and have fun. Matchups. roles, and build variations will come with time.
You DONT want to end up like me ( playing " condi " chrono without knowing you need to actually change amulet to condi one lul )

Well you're right, I was unjustly harsh. I have personal hate for meta which makes everyone play the same, but that isn't his fault nor job to fix. We all need help from time to time, I myself must admit this to myself now (much to self-loathing). So yeah, help him however you can I was being an @ss.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

1. Make a build.

2. Get destroyed.

I think this was the best comment that I have read here on the forum. I share the same ideia of you. The more you play with your class and learn the mistake and synergies you gonna probably develop many build for yourself that will work and beat any meta builds.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

In some points you are right. But reading has a important value to increase your knowledge. Don't follow this very narrow ideia that just doing is that you gonna learn. You have to know what you have in hand and what they do,and them you start to pratice it.

The mastery come with time  and deep understand of the synergi of your class. And you can just achieve it reading the traits skill and testing it. Until that you gonna be throw to meta builds and gonna be a lucky day on the matchmaking crazy system.

Edited by Broxxgar.6801
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 2:44 PM, Aylpse.6280 said:

Please, anything. I hate playing Guard and Necro just to get points. I want to play a class I actually enjoy but I am terrible at sic'em soulbeast and die to quickly and get too frustrated to learn it. At this point I am considering just quitting outright again because there is no way catch up to plat+ players let alone reach the top. There are no resources. There are no people to ask for advice. There are no places to learn. I've given this game 8 years on and off and still can't climb the wall.

this is the build i have used for years its super fun. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEU6MssCGFbiZxOxy7xeVVi5XD-zZoOjCUBZKFU4A i  go back and forth between gold tier 3 and Platinum tier 1. then again i can only use one hand.  

Edited by trunks.5249

Prelude Lash -> Whirling Defense

I am not by any means an elite guild wars 2 player. I would consider myself high-intermediate on mechanics and build knowledge and somewhere in the middle of the pack for excecution (probably gold 2 as I tend to land there on condi ranger and necro), however the above build can carry to an extent. I can usually climb to plat 1 with this as it has the capability of ending entire teams lacking stab fighting over a point. In the right hands I'm sure it could perform even better. It can't survive forever (hence why I prefer defensive utilities and a longbow) compared to other builds but it usually gets the job done. Its actually weaker in 1v1s than many condi ranger variants but unlike many ranger builds that are geared for side noding, this build can also contribute heavily to a team fight. It can also end fights quickly and often forces decaps if not outright kills if you get the burst to land. Last week or so of my matches.

You can run greatsword if you want, and the damage trait over the stance sharing trait should you prefer. Utilities are yours to decide. Slot another rooting skill if you want. Zephyr for trait synergy and superspeed is always nice, too. Just make sure you keep your power damage relevant and use OWP with whirling defense for the highest AoE burst potential. That's really what this build is for. That said, once you get into plat 1 the players get both better and cheesier, so I tend to hover around there. Perhaps you can do even better. Best of luck!

~ Kovu

• Like 1