New Player. Worth Getting Into WvW?

SpArTaN.9105

I'm a very active WvW player and I can only recommend it. It's fun zerging around and taking objectives, fighting around them and seeing your points increase (plus tons of loot and chests from the reward track.. currently going for legendary armor too)

The best tip I can give you is looking up some guides, getting an idea of your class and then just do your own thing based on that. Most importantly having the right stats that you are a bit durable but also deal some damage (Marauder comes to mind for power classes like Spellbreaker for example) and the most important one: Look for an active wvw guild and preferably with voice comms! It increases the fun tenfold when you can see your group get better and better and coordinate properly.

You can do what you like however if you are abosolutely starting at ground zero with no WvW Masteries (which were haphazardly forced into the game mode for "progression" sake without realizing the ramifications on new players)

So some things to keep in mind...

As a new player in WvW...

1. Don't use offensive siege since you won't have mastery until after you spent all your mastery points on gliding...and special merchant privileges...and supply mastery..okay now you can spend it on siege stuff. Oh wait that'd take 200ish mastery points. Good luck fam! Don't know what WvW mastery points are? This is WvW, ain't nobody at ANET got time for tutorials to explain silly game design jargon!
  2. Don't build or repair anything because you lack the mastery and it'd just take too long resulting in your death if the enemy is engaging you. Actually, don't bother picking up supply since using it takes too long and you might just end up dying building/repairing whatever is in combat.
  3. Don't bother roaming alone without expansions either, since specializations are outright better than core classes anyway (warrior might work sometimes...).
  4. Don't man defensive siege since you won't have mastery and cannons/oils get bombed if an enemy zerg is nearby resulting in your immediate death. Ta-ta.
  5. Don't use normal siege unless it's an alpha golem or a treb behind a gate. Treb behind a gate? Bizarre, right? Well you see... #CusGameDesign
  6. Don't worry about PiPs. You won't get any for a while. Track rewards are okay though I guess.
  7. Don't do reset night if you are susceptible to lag. You will probably die because lag. Sucks being an uplevel in WvW too. #CusGameDesign
  8. Leave WvW and go back to PvE in order to get the things you need to do the thing you actually wanted to do in first place that is WvW. Also #CusGameDesign

@"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:You can do what you like however if you are abosolutely starting at ground zero with no WvW Masteries (which were haphazardly forced into the game mode for "progression" sake without realizing the ramifications on new players)

1. Don't use offensive siege since you won't have mastery until after you spent all your mastery points on gliding...and special merchant privileges...and supply mastery..okay now you can spend it on siege stuff. Oh wait that'd take 200ish mastery points. Good luck fam! Don't know what WvW mastery points are? This is WvW, ain't nobody at ANET got time for tutorials to explain silly game design jargon!
  2. Don't build or repair anything because you lack the mastery and it'd just take too long resulting in your death if the enemy is engaging you. Actually, don't bother picking up supply since using it takes too long and you might just end up dying building/repairing whatever is in combat.
  3. Don't bother roaming alone without expansions either, since specializations are outright better than core classes anyway (warrior might work sometimes...).
  4. Don't man defensive siege since you won't have mastery and cannons/oils get bombed if an enemy zerg is nearby resulting in your immediate death. Ta-ta.
  5. Don't use normal siege unless it's an alpha golem or a treb behind a gate. Treb behind a gate? Bizarre, right? Well you see... #CusGameDesign
  6. Don't worry about PiPs. You won't get any for a while. Track rewards are okay though I guess.
  7. Don't do reset night if you are susceptible to lag. You will probably die because lag. Sucks being an uplevel in WvW too. #CusGameDesign
  8. Leave WvW and go back to PvE in order to get the things you need to do the thing you actually wanted to do in first place that is WvW. Also #CusGameDesign

Aside from just trying to be handy in general that's a nice list to keep in mind.

Pay attention to detail out there when you're doing stuff, try to stomp people and get in on all the action. You can knock out reward tracks pretty quickly if you're floating with an active squad, I sell salvaged mats mostly for a living, and if you're stomping and trying to fill out your role the whole time you're out there instead of sleep zerging on a long squad tail then you should be able to gear up some from the wvw vendor. I always hit up an expansion or living story and get what I need and to open it's reward track then get back to wvw the rest of the time since I don't get a lot of time to play. WvW is great if you're casual but active and need to get all the fight out of you in a short amount of time. You're going to need to craft either way though.

@"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:You can do what you like however if you are abosolutely starting at ground zero with no WvW Masteries (which were haphazardly forced into the game mode for "progression" sake without realizing the ramifications on new players)

someone seems quite unhappy with the mastery system here...but you know what? i wish i had even more advantages as higher ranked wvw player, id welcome guard buff back, even tho id make it permanent for anyone who skilled it. alone keeping in mind how few rewards we had in the first years of gw2 while pve player got rich as hell.and if not combar stats (i know trey are not fair) give us something else to do with the points, karma or luck increase.

also you dont rly have to pve anymore for wvw gear, you can now even get high end stuff

If you play for end game rewards like legendary armor , no , it's not worth , you have to be dedicated only to that game mode ,and if you do it for rewards only , it will destroy your game experience.

If you play the WvW to have fun only and take part effectively to big scale battles , just roll a firebrand , elementalist , herald or scourge , and jump on the train .

If you have a full ascended gear with infusions you will have lot a fun solo roaming, but some classes can get pretty good results even if in exotic.

I think ascended trinkets are mandatory because they are way better than the exotic one and not that hard to get. So start from ascended trinkets, then weapons and finally armor.

If you are a casual player you can stay in exotic and still have good results. Berserker exotic is easy to get, but some classes are better on marauder for example; marauder exotic is not super easy to get, you get it from some reward track which give you exo with stats selectable, so first search a build, if for small scale or for zerg and start from there.

My advice as a semi-new player to WvW: don't get mad if you get killed. It's really easy to start raging, thinking how unfair the game is when some thief or mesmer takes you out within seconds from stealth or a group of 5 people ganks you. Accept it as a part of the game and move on to spawnpoint, you'll be a lot happier.

The emotional investment is what really makes PvP stand out.The rage you feel now makes the triumph later so much the sweeter.Not really something on offer in gw2 PvE.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

I think ascended trinkets are mandatory because they are way better than the exotic one and not that hard to get. So start from ascended trinkets, then weapons and finally armor.

What the heck kinda bassawkwards advice is that?Trinkets have the absolute lowest value stats-wise. Overall the cheapest bang for your buck is 1)amulet 2) chest piece 3) leg piece 4) weapons (only because you need 2-4)

@LetoII.3782 said:The emotional investment is what really makes PvP stand out.The rage you feel now makes the triumph later so much the sweeter.Not really something on offer in gw2 PvE.

@"whoknocks.4935" said:

What the heck kinda bassawkwards advice is that?Trinkets have the absolute lowest value stats-wise. Overall the cheapest bang for your buck is 1)amulet 2) chest piece 3) leg piece 4) weapons (only because you need 2-4)

Ascended trinkets are mandatory. Chest piece cheap to get? I wonder how.

Everybody knows if you are full exotic the first thing you wanna upgrade to ascended are trinkets, then weapons and finally armor which doesn't make a huge difference, so please don't act like I said some weird or crazy thing. This is the "normal" gear progression you should get if you wanna upgrade to ascended for wvw.

You said random amulet chest piece and leg piece, nonsense because armor is the last ascended thing you should get.

@LetoII.3782 said:The emotional investment is what really makes PvP stand out.The rage you feel now makes the triumph later so much the sweeter.Not really something on offer in gw2 PvE.

Indeed, last night some spellbreaker was all up in my business, couldn't get away from him and sucks when they have their endure pain kick in and still able to hack the hell out of you so I died (seriously starting to think they shouldn't be doing full damage when this is on). Anyways 5 mins later he was in a zerg fight and I happen to tab on him, so I unloaded all my damage to help get him down quickly and got the stomp off in the middle of the zerg fight, damn did that ever feel good.

P.S for the op wvw is worth getting into for the fun, when you can find it, not really the rewards as they can be gotten in the other game modes with less time restrictions if that's what you're playing for, but it's nice that there is now a couple ways to get most of the important upgrades for gear in wvw.

@RedShark.9548 said:

someone seems quite unhappy with the mastery system here...but you know what? i wish i had even more advantages as higher ranked wvw player, id welcome guard buff back, even tho id make it permanent for anyone who skilled it. alone keeping in mind how few rewards we had in the first years of gw2 while pve player got rich as hell.and if not combar stats (i know trey are not fair) give us something else to do with the points, karma or luck increase.

also you dont rly have to pve anymore for wvw gear, you can now even get high end stuff

Why would I be happy with it? Such statistical progression in anything remotely competitive isn't good in the long run. Unless you can randomly buy it like in Starwars Battlefront 2 I guess. Err wait, wut? Just ignore this if you want the game mode to stagnate in population growth.

I never sayed (yes) high end stuff was necessary. Regardless of loot...you have get to level 80 which is more easily done in PvE as opposed to WvW (and including the now deserted Eotm due to pips). This is assuming you wish to be effective. Exotics with the right setup would be functional. Uplevels are going to have a bad time doing anything in WvW. It is silly to start out level 1 WvWing in 2018, and may deter such individuals from ever returning. Which why there is number 8 in such a silly nonconstructive tone.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:You can do what you like however if you are abosolutely starting at ground zero with no WvW Masteries (which were haphazardly forced into the game mode for "progression" sake without realizing the ramifications on new players)

Why would I be happy with it? Such statistical progression in anything remotely competitive isn't good in the long run. Unless you can randomly buy it like in Starwars Battlefront 2 I guess. Err wait, wut? Just ignore this if you want the game mode to stagnate in population growth.

I never sayed (yes) high end stuff was necessary. Regardless of loot...you have get to level 80 which is more easily done in PvE as opposed to WvW (and including the now deserted Eotm due to pips). This is assuming you wish to be effective. Exotics with the right setup would be functional. Uplevels are going to have a bad time doing anything in WvW. It is silly to start out level 1 WvWing in 2018, and may deter such individuals from ever returning. Which why there is number 8 in such a silly nonconstructive tone.

ppl should lv up there class in pve, there they do no harm to others while learning the basics of their class, so thats a plus for me, and having longterm goals and rewards is a plus too, so i see no real problem with thatplayer who have no idea of their class should definately stay out of wvw, you shouldnt even be able to enter itand ppl with experience who know their class most likely have enough tomes to level up

@"whoknocks.4935" said:If you have a full ascended gear with infusions you will have lot a fun solo roaming, but some classes can get pretty good results even if in exotic.

If you are a casual player you can stay in exotic and still have good results. Berserker exotic is easy to get, but some classes are better on marauder for example; marauder exotic is not super easy to get, you get it from some reward track which give you exo with stats selectable, so first search a build, if for small scale or for zerg and start from there.

As someone who's just created a new account to play in a different region, I must say the mountain of ascended gear looks very high indeed when starting from scratch. Pretty daunting. :(

Especially being used to full ascended with infused/attuned trinkets and masteries on my main account - I'm pretty intimidated with going anywhere solo until having unlocked a load of account bound stuff on the new account.

Even though full exotic might be ok with some classes, I still feel I'm going to be food for "pro" solo roamers decked out in full ascended and with masteries such that I'm not planning to go anywhere solo until ranking up sufficiently and getting some ascended weapons/trinkets. Nevermind cross continent ping... Ah I wish Anet hadn't introduced ascended gear...

WvW is worth checking out. You'll have maybe a month before you really get sucked in, then another 6-12 months of it being the cat's pajamas. After that, depending on what parts of it you love, it may start to feel like a necessary chore.

I definitely recommend giving it a shot. Even though I don't currently log on much and have little faith in Anet to manage the game mode, it's raw potential alone is incredibly epic and was mostly worth all the time I sunk into it.

I have recently made some alt accounts to play WvW with friends in other tiers.

Here is my experience:

• WvW is very enjoyable regardless of your rank/world ability points
  • A lot of it is about positioning; you can still contribute to your server, squad, team mates etc without the need for ascended gear or going full ham aggressive. Play wise, know your limits etc
  • It is fun to challenge yourself using only core stats and either core class or 1 elite spec available (cleric's for guard, apothecary/shaman for necro etc)
  • I chose to level up gliding first then ram/cata mastery as most of the time I am doing small scale gameplay or the odd occasion of solo breaking into a tower
  • I currently have 5/6 pieces of exotic minstrel gear for my firebrand from the reward tracks so there's no need for gold grind
  • Not sure about how other player's new accounts are faring but on both of my alts at roughly WvW rank 20-30 I've gotten at least 2-3 asc drops (no magic find, just a lot of WvW and fun crushing my enemies!)
  • Try and find a WvW guild to be part of, coordination & communication is key

I'd say it's worth getting into if you enjoy large scale combat & siege warfare against other players, being part of a team and excelling your skills as an individual in the process.

Hope that helps.

@SpArTaN.9105 said:Basically what the title says.I understand how it all works just wondering whether or not it is worth getting into now given the current levelling and reward system.

As opposed to?GW2 WvW is a 5 year old setup.

If you are heavily invested into GW2 then yes.If you are new to Guild Wars you might want to look at an upcoming game and IP.DO NOT look at a Korean port though as those games are aged by the time they come to the West and are at a core meant for a different audience.

WvW has never been more rewarding as far as overall gold and gear is concerned. It is not as rewarding as general PvE and never will be but that is like saying PvE is not as rewarding as TP flipping and thus you should never do anything other than play the TP in this game. Not to mention that these rewards come as a side thing in WvW, they stack up quite easily while you continue to play as you forget about the time.There is a good population in WvW. The upcoming changes will increase these numbers even further, though we do not know how long that will last. Check out the different activities in WvW (roaming, blobs, WvW guilds, etc.) and decide for yourself wether you enjoy it or not.

Rewards, ranks and fun come naturally if you enjoy the content you make yourself play. It is just a matter of time.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Anthony.3207 said:I have zero fun in wvw because I main engineer.

Feels bad man. Broken class. Unviable profession.

Scrapper is the answer to your sadness.Completely viable.

After seeing the wvw spvp split changes on Reddit - I feel that everyone will get nerfed and engineer will have a fighting chance. Glad they nerfed scourges and thiefs.

Back on topic - wvw is fun today and every Friday Saturday and Sunday. The servers are active and pip farming is not to bad. Also tracks are fun. I usually make enough gold every week from wvw to buy a few exp boosters and get track exp / wvw exp / and some pips

As far as wvw gameplay goes - I love roaming and zerging but I often find my self just roaming with random pugs and doing skirmishes.

If you love your class (I love engineer) it makes wvw more fun. I hate playing firebrand and scourge even if I am winning and getting loot - I tend to not have fun. I have more fun with my comfort class engineer.

Archived