Should Portal Be Giving to Other Classes?

Deified.7520

Portal Abilities can be exceptionally strong when used correctly. They can be a great benefit to the team or other players in certain situations.

Do you think more classes should have the ability to create portals that allies can travel through?

With some exceptions of course.

For example, maybe one in each armor weight class. They can be steered to the least played classes (Reveannt and Engineer) and each are unique in their own rite and be tied to an elite spec.

Revenant - Some kind of mistwalker spec where the user can create a portal that is only one way. Perhaps users gain stability and/or protection upon exit.

Engineer - Has to build each side of the portal using some kind of special mechanic (like picking up scrap during battles). The portals can be destroyed, but also repaired using toolkit.

Each has the same limited uses as the last.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:There are currently 2 kind of portals actually which work differently. good ol mesmer and scourge.They also could add something like jump pads for engineer or a rift for rev that pulls enemies in and spits them out on the other side to isolate targets and so on.

hell no not portald that fiddle with enemies,we had that in hot beta on mallyx rev, that was completely bonkers

@RedShark.9548 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:There are currently 2 kind of portals actually which work differently. good ol mesmer and scourge.They also could add something like jump pads for engineer or a rift for rev that pulls enemies in and spits them out on the other side to isolate targets and so on.

hell no not portald that fiddle with enemies,we had that in hot beta on mallyx rev, that was completely bonkers

Bonkers because of what? Broken? Useless?As far as i know there was a down skill that randomly portet an enemy away from you and it wasnt ground targeted.Lets say it places an entrance and an exit. As soon as you place the exit the entrance pulls enemies in and teleports them to the exit. Not as complicated on the technical standpoint.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Bonkers because of what? Broken? Useless?As far as i know there was a down skill that randomly portet an enemy away from you and it wasnt ground targeted.Lets say it places an entrance and an exit. As soon as you place the exit the entrance pulls enemies in and teleports them to the exit. Not as complicated on the technical standpoint.

it was the mallyx leap, creating a field that ported ppl randomly positioned out of the circle, affecting 5 or 10ppl at the same time (not a single time, everytime you entered it) making it a nightmare in wvw, especially when zerging and trying to push your enemy who placed that under himself, no port animation, just relocating, you didnt know if you were lagging or standing in that skill

@RedShark.9548 said:

it was the mallyx leap, creating a field that ported ppl randomly positioned out of the circle, affecting 5 or 10ppl at the same time (not a single time, everytime you entered it) making it a nightmare in wvw, especially when zerging and trying to push your enemy who placed that under himself, no port animation, just relocating, you didnt know if you were lagging or standing in that skill

Yeah but this was a random port and not one with a designated destination.If its predictable its easier to play against.

Yeah, that displacement mechanic Rev had at beta wouldn't have been so bad if it displaced enemies at the starting location of where the Rev initiated the attack. Was one of the few, unique and interesting things it had before it was changed to the more generic effects rather than being refined. Shame, too.

Edit: On topic, Rev seems like a likely candidate for another portal user, thematically anyway. I'd even consider Engineer and Ranger. Engineer using alchemy to create portals and a Ranger pet that's mystical/magical that can create a portal or burrowing tunnel.

id be happy if the thiefs shadow trap would teleport like a one man portal and would gladly take a range nerf to 5k range as i am not sure if portals would work on greater range with that loading screen stuff.allied portals again would let the professions get more into each other territory, i mean having several profession options for the same task while it is good. it is important to keep profession identity. so that not on the long run everyone is doing the same with different visual animation.. mesmer and scourge portal for example while both portals, they have different use, different situations were one or the other is better.

• 3 weeks later...

Portal is huge on jumping puzzle which are a part of the game. Any player who cares has to have a mesmer. Any group who cares has to have.a mesmer to do pve because alacrity.

This is blatantly imbalanced and at least one of every armor class should have those options.

@Wondrouswall.7169 said:Yeah, that displacement mechanic Rev had at beta wouldn't have been so bad if it displaced enemies at the starting location of where the Rev initiated the attack. Was one of the few, unique and interesting things it had before it was changed to the more generic effects rather than being refined. Shame, too.

Edit: On topic, Rev seems like a likely candidate for another portal user, thematically anyway. I'd even consider Engineer and Ranger. Engineer using alchemy to create portals and a Ranger pet that's mystical/magical that can create a portal or burrowing tunnel.

Aw gosh I forgot it was that way ... I miss it so much

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:I think alacrity should be given to maybe firebrand too, just in general more support options is good for the game I think. Druid and Chrono have a bit of a support monopoly right now.

The Druid doesn't in terms of boon mechanics..... and definitely nowhere near what the Chrono does. Druid's current spot in the meta rests heavily Might generation AND spirits, because the Spirits are unique and will stack with other bonuses. Take away the might, and they will immediately sub in a Condi Ranger or Condi SB for the same benefits, but with more personal DPS.

Firebrand doesn't need Alacrity, because its already overstacked in the features its given. The problem with its spot in raids, is raids view builds as DPS puzzle. The ChronoTank is the first and oldest victim of this optimization method, essentially having one build carry/keystone an entire boss fight. And those who would argue otherwise, would you be seriously be willing to pug without one (other then to try and prove a point)?

The meta is attempting to cram as much functions as possible into the supports, so it frees up additional DPS slots. The only way to break this is to normalize the classes in a way that any mixture can work...... but the Especs being overly specialized directly fight this premise on a fundamental level. This is the reason so many passive buffs have been nerfed, and many unique buffs are replaced by boons. The goal is to make mixtures of classes to generate the collective "max buffs" a Raid comp wants, but not let a specific class carry too much of that (ie condensing the job of 3 slots into 1 build). But since the class mechanics weigh so heavily into optimizations, its basically impossible to do this without skewing heavily in favor of "Best in Slot" type choices...... Thats exactly how the Chronotank came into existence. But the reason they haven't touched it, is because Chrono gets all of its strong tanking abilities from Core Mesmer. And this makes sense, since Core Mesmer is a dueling class made to excel in 1v1 combat. You can't dismantle ChronoTank without dismantling Core Mesmer; unless Chrono gets a complete mechanical overhaul to replace Shatters (and modify illusions) with something that offers almost no personal defense and very little offensive capability. This forces Chrono into contention with its utilities for personal defense, and Wells being THE group support option makes it an obvious choice as to what to take. Even then, the core weapons offer way too much defense utility; so all these changes might not even have the desired effect of forcing Chrono to choose between Tank or Boon Reflect.

the only classes i could see geting any type of portal is going to be rev if they get a legendary mes and engi becouse of tech maybe a ele with the arcan magic but that is still a iffy one. for war, thief, guardion, and ranger i cant see them geting a portal becouse it would not fit in with the roles they have right now. this is just what i see right now anyway.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:I think alacrity should be given to maybe firebrand too, just in general more support options is good for the game I think. Druid and Chrono have a bit of a support monopoly right now.

The Druid doesn't in terms of boon mechanics..... and definitely nowhere near what the Chrono does. Druid's current spot in the meta rests heavily Might generation AND spirits, because the Spirits are unique and will stack with other bonuses. Take away the might, and they will immediately sub in a Condi Ranger or Condi SB for the same benefits, but with more personal DPS.

Firebrand doesn't need Alacrity, because its already overstacked in the features its given. The problem with its spot in raids, is raids view builds as DPS puzzle. The ChronoTank is the first and oldest victim of this optimization method, essentially having one build carry/keystone an entire boss fight. And those who would argue otherwise, would you be seriously be willing to pug without one (other then to try and prove a point)?

The meta is attempting to cram as much functions as possible into the supports, so it frees up additional DPS slots. The only way to break this is to normalize the classes in a way that any mixture can work...... but the Especs being overly specialized directly fight this premise on a fundamental level. This is the reason so many passive buffs have been nerfed, and many unique buffs are replaced by boons. The goal is to make mixtures of classes to generate the collective "max buffs" a Raid comp wants, but not let a specific class carry too much of that (ie condensing the job of 3 slots into 1 build). But since the class mechanics weigh so heavily into optimizations, its basically impossible to do this without skewing heavily in favor of "Best in Slot" type choices...... Thats exactly how the Chronotank came into existence. But the reason they haven't touched it, is because Chrono gets all of its strong tanking abilities from Core Mesmer. And this makes sense, since Core Mesmer is a dueling class made to excel in 1v1 combat. You can't dismantle ChronoTank without dismantling Core Mesmer; unless Chrono gets a complete mechanical overhaul to replace Shatters (and modify illusions) with something that offers almost no personal defense and very little offensive capability. This forces Chrono into contention with its utilities for personal defense, and Wells being THE group support option makes it an obvious choice as to what to take. Even then, the core weapons offer way too much defense utility; so all these changes might not even have the desired effect of forcing Chrono to choose between Tank or Boon Reflect.

We can have warr as banner tank. But the chrono is being used up to this day only because people don't want to change what they have gotten used to before. Chrono was placed there because groups back then could've skipped raid mechanics just because of distortion share. And it has been a long duration that distort era existed that many people invested so much time gearing and mastering chrono that they would not use other tanks.

I'm ok with mesmer having exclusive access to portal, and I say this as someone who doesn't play mesmer outside of raids. We already got the White Mantle Portal device, that gives you a portal with 30min of CD regardless of your profession. It think it is good enough to allow you to do some portal stuff while keeping the class fantasy and uniqueness of mesmer.

Archived