What ist the purpose of staff? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What ist the purpose of staff?

Dschromm.2946Dschromm.2946 Member ✭✭
edited April 25, 2019 in Necromancer

Hello fellow necros,

I am fairly new to the game and finally decided to main necro through the content of this awesome game.

But, i find myself struggeling to understand the role of necro staff. While other main hands seem to have designated roles (as far as i understand: dagger - sustain, axe - power burst, scepter - condi application), i am confused by staff:
1. Slow moving, lf generating auto that looks cool, but hits like a wet noodle (power)
2. Aoe bleed and regen. So some kind of sustain, Support and condi application (condi)
3. Aoe poison and chill. So condi and CC (condi)
4. Aoe condi transfer coupled with Power damage
5. Aoe fear- CC

So what's it role? Power damage? No. Condi damage? No. Support? Not really. CC/tank weapon? Maybe, but why then ranged?

So, Help and advice is much appreciated.

See you ingame \○/

<1

Answers

• @Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

I am fairly new to the game and finally decided to main necro through the content of this awesome game.

But, i find myself struggeling to understand the role of necro staff. While other main hands so to have designated roles (as far as i understand: dagger - sustain, axe - power burst, scepter - condi application), i am confused by staff:
    1. Slow moving, lf generating auto that looks cool, but hits like a wet noodle (power)
    2. Aoe bleed and regen. So some kind of sustain, Support and condi application (condi)
    5. Aoe fest- CC

So what's it role? Power damage? No. Condi damage? No. Support? Not really. CC/tank weapon? Maybe, but why then ranged?

See you ingame \○/

It's dated from back when the game launched, It and danger main-hand along with I think to some degree focus are all kind of lack-luster when compared to the necro's other weapons in their current form. They all need reworks (Staff and mainhand dagger need a complete overhaul/rework) so that they can be made more engaging and fun to play with; Main hand dagger and Staff are two weapons that always screamed occultist to me outside of scepter and focus. Out of those scepter shines and is strong but the others kind of feel... sub-par.

It will probably be redone one of these days and brought to the games new way of function, role and unique feel.

This is pretty sad. There are so many great staff skins out there, but i dont find myself using it due to its skills (and due to the pretty lame animations of staff 2-5) 😥

• Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    @Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

But, i find myself struggeling to understand the role of necro staff. While other main hands so to have designated roles (as far as i understand: dagger - sustain, axe - power burst, scepter - condi application), i am confused by staff:
    5. Aoe fest- CC

See you ingame \○/

It's dated from back when the game launched, It and danger main-hand along with I think to some degree focus are all kind of lack-luster when compared to the necro's other weapons in their current form. They all need reworks (Staff and mainhand dagger need a complete overhaul/rework) so that they can be made more engaging and fun to play with; Main hand dagger and Staff are two weapons that always screamed occultist to me outside of scepter and focus. Out of those scepter shines and is strong but the others kind of feel... sub-par.

It will probably be redone one of these days and brought to the games new way of function, role and unique feel.

This is pretty sad. There are so many great staff skins out there, but i dont find myself using it due to its skills (and due to the pretty lame animations of staff 2-5) 😥

I feel you, we can only hope that they will fix it moving forward

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

Tagging mobs in Meta events for loot, as well as providing some unblockable ranged pressure and LF generation via Soul Marks in PvP/WvW.

Necromancer just has a lot of confused design left over from when the game launched which was never really touched on, or at least not sufficiently.
    Things like Staff is just one of many things like that, from a time at launch where the idea of dedicated Condition or Power builds didn't even exist yet, and condis functioned in a very different way as supplement to the general damage you did, although Necro Staff was always a bit odd, even at launch.

It's kind of similar as to how the Dagger/Dagger dual skill of Thief is primarily a condi skill on the otherwise Power kit for some reason, although Thief, with it's no CD initiative system, is less affected be such design relics of the past, as well as anet having made an effort with Trait changes/additions over the years to facilitate play styles around it.

As it stands, it's simply the only 1200 ranged option Necro has, coming with some nice perks like Condition Transfer and Fear (especially when unblockable with Soul Marks) on a weapon skill as well as primarily being AoE, plus the mentioned benefits from Soul Marks like LF generation, which made it always somewhat passable, leaving it mostly unchanged.

"As you know, those who you once called friends have become enemies." ~Glint

• I'm an oddball that uses it for reaper. Fear/Chill/Transfer on Mark's. Axe/wh still the way to go and when comparing the slow animations of GS.. nah, I've stuck with it. Dropping a trail of them after being chased down is handy in terms of defense as well. It still has its spot, just speed the AA animation up alongside focus 4 pls, come on.

• Psaro.6178Psaro.6178 Member ✭✭

Staff is really amazing for condition Necromancer in terms of PvP and sometimes WvW.

• Tobias.8632Tobias.8632 Member ✭✭✭

Staff is literally one of the only weapons in the game with a completely unique mechanical design, being based around the trap-like marks. It just so happens that marks are kind of useless in pve, but actually amazing in all forms of pvp, so I get the mindset that necro staff sucks, but you're not understanding why it's actually lowkey the best and most interesting weapon in the entire game. I do feel like they should make the staff auto apply burning or torment alongside it's currently mediocre power damage in pve only though since it's weird having a power auto and then 4 condi skills.

• @dceptaconroy.7928 said:
    I'm an oddball that uses it for reaper. Fear/Chill/Transfer on Mark's. Axe/wh still the way to go and when comparing the slow animations of GS.. nah, I've stuck with it. Dropping a trail of them after being chased down is handy in terms of defense as well. It still has its spot, just speed the AA animation up alongside focus 4 pls, come on.

Staff + GS for Reaper is probably the best combination at higher tier PvP. So you're not that weird!

💎 [HUNT] [IH] [JEEP] | Necromancer, Engineer, Revenant | Maguuma | Diamond Legend 💎

• Psaro.6178Psaro.6178 Member ✭✭

@SpellOfIniquity.1780 said:

@dceptaconroy.7928 said:
    I'm an oddball that uses it for reaper. Fear/Chill/Transfer on Mark's. Axe/wh still the way to go and when comparing the slow animations of GS.. nah, I've stuck with it. Dropping a trail of them after being chased down is handy in terms of defense as well. It still has its spot, just speed the AA animation up alongside focus 4 pls, come on.

Staff + GS for Reaper is probably the best combination at higher tier PvP. So you're not that weird!

Sounds like a fun build!
    Have a link to build?
    the new focus and warhorn aren't cutting it for me.

• EremiteAngel.9765EremiteAngel.9765 Member ✭✭✭✭

Staff is more a utility weapon.
    Jack of all trades, master at none.
    Versatile and adept at doing everything.
    It's my second favorite weapon on a Necro.

• Range pressure? Check
    • Piercing Damage? Check
    • AOE Pressure and Denial? Check
    • Combo Field? Check
    • Combo Finisher? Check
    • Condi Management? Check
    • Power Pressure? Check
    • Condi Pressure? Check
    • LF generation? Check
    • Sustain via Regen? Check
    • Soft CC via Chill? Check
    • Hard CC via Fear? Check
    • Traited Unblockable? Check

Visit 🏴‍☠️ Eremite's WvW Necromancy Graveyard 🏴‍☠️

CD -> TC -> Mag -> GOM -> AR -> JQ

• ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Staff needs an update skill 2 and 3 could arguably be much different while skills 4 and 5 gain an additional charge. Maybe do more with the auto attack too.. To be honest i dont use a staff anymore unless im playing core necro for the fun of it.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

it's pvp/utility/pressure weapon. in pve is the last loot-stick left in the game.

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

Building up life force from a distance against large groups of enemies, ensnaring enemies so they can be hit by more pulses from AoEs from your allies, and a bit of interruption and healing.
    That's mostly all they do.

Personally, I would prefer if marks were spread among different weapons like Guardian symbols, and that marks and traps got a flip-over skill to trigger them on demand so they can be used against world bosses and objects, since those do not trigger marks and traps.

• Marks:

• Marks are now on every main hand and 2h weapon instead on staff only. Each weapon gets only 1 mark.
      • Now marks flip over to a skill to activate the mark manually. Marks triggered manually take longer to recharge.
    • Soul Marks: This trait still makes Marks unblockable. Increase life force from marks to 15%.

• Blood Bond renamed Vampiric Bond

• Instead casting lesser Signet of Vampirism, now it heals allies around an enemy when you steal life from them (1s cooldown)
      • Also replaces Necrotip Grasp with Vampiric Grasp, that deals more damage, bleeding for 6s and steals life from bleeding enemies.
    • Staff:

• Necrotic Grasp
      • Mark of Blood renamed Path of Blood

• No longer a mark, now it's a cascading AoE with 600 range l like Legendary Dwarf stance's Inspiring Reinforcement, but starting at target enemy, so there won't be hits between caster and target like with revenant hammer 2 Coalescence of Ruin.
        • Still gives regen.
        • Increase bleeding stacks to 4 and damage by 15%.
      • Chilblains

• No longer a mark, now it's a pulsing Poison Field AoE.
        • Each pulse deals damage and poison. Bleeding enemies receive more stacks of poison.
        • First pulse deals chilled.
        • Last pulse removes 2 boons.
      • Putrid Mark renamed Plague Sending

• No longer a mark. Still a single strike blast that deals damage and transfers conditions.
      • Reaper's Mark renamed Mark of Fear

• Effects would be unchanged, and remains as the Mark for Staff.
    • Scepter - Grasping Dead renamed Mark of Undead and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

• Axe - Unholy Feast renamed Unholy Mark and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.
    • Dagger - Dark Pact renamed Dark Pact Mark (say that 3 times fast) and converted into a Mark. Bleeds self on cast. Same effects otherwise.
    • Spear - Deadly Catch renamed Deadly Mark and converted into a mark. When triggered, it pulls enemies to the mark location instead self. Same effects otherwise.
    • Trident - Feast renamed Mark of Hunger. Same effects on trigger.
    • Greatsword - Nightfall renamed Mark of Nightfall and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

Scourge won't get a mark in torch since marks would be in the main hand weapon for 1h weapons.

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭

Staff has a lot of flexibility with its traps. It is great for tagging, area denial, and making dark fields, which are not completely horrible, now.

Staff auto's piercing is also good for tagging but takes some practice because it does not bounce to the nearest target.

Staff is also a great way to replenish LF.

• gavyne.6847gavyne.6847 Member ✭✭✭

-Best weapon set for lifeforce regen, you never have lifeforce issues when using staff marks.

-Unblockable marks are useful in competitive modes (PvP/WvW) due to the amount of blocks available ingame.

-Staff marks can work around terrain and objects, where the other weapons require line of sight and have travel time on hits. Example if you were sieging a keep staff is the only weapon you can reliably mark the walls with.

-Staff 4 spikes for good 5 target, unblockable damage. It just so happen to also be a blast finisher.

With that said, staff's usefulness have diminished a bit in WvW because of the current meta. Current meta requires boon corrupts and there's zero corrupt boons with staff. Scourge shades are being utilized in place of staff for ranged pressure. And more are encouraged to use double weapons for more corrupts.

• Lol, agree with the previous comment that staff is really useful for tagging mobs at farming event

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

Staff is okay on condi builds and basically your only option as a secondary weapon.

I've tried to create a viable staff+GS power based build a few times as in theory this sounds like the holy grail for reapers (hitting hard in melee and 1200 range to prevent kiting) but it's too easy to counter (and I think that's intended as ANet seems to want power reaper not to be too stong at melee and long range at the same time). The moment you switch to staff you become a freekill to every single duelling build in the game. This setup can work in team fights as it's 100% AOE, but you should never think about entering a 1v1 against a semi compentent target. You will feel helpless and cry for that axe.

@KrHome.1920 said:
    Staff is okay on condi builds and basically your only option as a secondary weapon.

I've tried to create a viable staff+GS power based build a few times as in theory this sounds like the holy grail for reapers (hitting hard in melee and 1200 range to prevent kiting) but it's too easy to counter (and I think that's intended as ANet seems to want power reaper not to be too stong at melee and long range at the same time). The moment you switch to staff you become a freekill to every single duelling build in the game. This setup can work in team fights as it's 100% AOE, but you should never think about entering a 1v1 against a semi compentent target. You will feel helpless and cry for that axe.

Agreed, staff has not kept up with elite power creep. That has marginalized its usefulness but not obliterated it.

• @Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

But, i find myself struggeling to understand the role of necro staff. While other main hands seem to have designated roles (as far as i understand: dagger - sustain, axe - power burst, scepter - condi application), i am confused by staff:
    5. Aoe fear- CC

From the PvP standpoint, I tend to use staff to engage most fights with 3 , 2 , 5. From that point I can begin my mid/close range combo and then apply 4. But generally speaking, I use the staff to engage my fights before switching over to my second weapon set. Also, I find that generally the AoE skills help me in team fights where I can fear and slow multiple targets, before going into shroud (if i'm playing core build.)

Additionally, the staff skills have some solid range and a "trap-like" feature which I find useful in PvE events like holding down a camp or something. You can set the traps as the mobs roll in and they walk right into it, then you can burst with your secondary weapon set (and/or shroud skills). The trap feature works pretty well in certain situations in PvP as well.

I'm relatively new myself, so I am open to hearing some other techniques as well. Always willing to learn.

I'm not PC bro

• killfil.3472killfil.3472 Member ✭✭✭

Circle-painting simulator.

• VDAC.2137VDAC.2137 Member ✭✭✭

I use staff on my support scourge in PvE when I need to generate life force at range. Plus #2 gives regen. :)

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

life force.

Te lazla otstra.
    nerf list

• I used staff for open world up until level 80 when I unlocked reaper. Then I dropped it like a hot potato to make way from the GS.

Simply enough rotation.. Use Staff 2+3 - Then switch to Axe/WH to bury them down.

I'd start using staff again if they made the 1 skill bounce between targets and the aura's moved with the caster instead of stationary on the floor.

• Rym.1469Rym.1469 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019

As people above have pointed out in many ways, Staff is Necromancer's weapon that patches the gaps your build may have by providing a wide variety of tools that may not look exciting standalone, but as your understanding of the game (hopefully) grows you begin to notice that Staff goes well with many, many builds and is a source of some much needed effects Necromancer may want, but has shortage of outside of Staff.

It's a supplementary weapon, never the main one.

Yeah, I stream once in a blue moon.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019

I have to admit, I love the staff because most weapons combos are pretty capable to stand alone without swapping (Specter/anything for condi, GS on Reaper, etc...) and having staff to swap to is just always that extra fear to break a bar, or the range with chill option if you want on a reaper. AOE for tagging, VERY versatile.

I wouldn't ever use it as a primary, but I have yet to find a build that it doesn't provide supplemental capabilities for.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• XECOR.2814XECOR.2814 Member ✭✭✭

Staff is the weapon that is bad but just good enough that people dont want it changed in fear of it becoming kitten. I feel like anet wants it to be utility based weapon and it is OK in what it does but its extremely bland in flavour and animation. Could use revamp. Possibly move away from aoe for less clutter in wvw and provide stronger utility. Staff is not fun to play and i believe anet makes changes based on fun factor. I hope they touch staff someday too.

• aspirine.5839aspirine.5839 Member ✭✭✭

Like someone said before, dagger offhand is also in need of an update. Powerbuilds could be more fun with a good dagger/dagger combo.

• EremiteAngel.9765EremiteAngel.9765 Member ✭✭✭✭

@aspirine.5839 said:
    Like someone said before, dagger offhand is also in need of an update. Powerbuilds could be more fun with a good dagger/dagger combo.

I rarely play Dagger Mainhand due to its limitations in WvW, but I love Dagger offhand.
    Although it has low damage and no LF regen but Dagger Offhand is like the Staff, a utility type all-rounded weapon.
    And it is very good at setting up counter-bursts in a fight, unlike the other off-hands.
    Its my favorite weapon to date.

We already got a Focus which is power-based so I would be very upset if they changed Dagger OH :anguished:

Focus : Power Burst
    Warhorn : Sustain
    Dagger OH : Utility
    Torch : Condi Burst

Visit 🏴‍☠️ Eremite's WvW Necromancy Graveyard 🏴‍☠️

CD -> TC -> Mag -> GOM -> AR -> JQ

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2019

@aspirine.5839 said:

The problem with that setup is, that MH dagger is a power weapon and OH dagger is a condi weapon, which is weird as on the other hand these two weapons are designed to have synergies.

Dagger 4 is a good and useful skill. I would like to see it switching with focus 4. Then focus would be a great OH weapon (even without the then missing LF generation). Dagger 5 is the problem. It's the incarnation of necro problems: too slow to hit anything and underwhelming on impact on top of that - which brings me back to staff which shares the same issues as dagger 5.

Staff suffers from ANets game design inexperience at launch. It has a huge teamfight potential (can be a game changer), but is weak against single targets.

It could get the shout threatment: A viable baseline effect against a single target and then a minor upscaling against multiple targets.

Alternatively they could get rid of the mark mechanic but increase the skill strength or add the ammo system for better viability.

• Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭

My main avatar is my necro/minion master. I throw the critters out and use my staff as support. I love it. I have dual daggers as my alt weapons but cannot remember the last time I used them. The staff is my main weapon. I got Path of Fire this week, and have almost finished the first map, with no deaths. It serves me well enough. My warrior and ranger have each had a few dirt naps - the staff wielding necro has not.

• Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019

Staff is main weapon for scourge reaper and core for spvp it’s just that good and needed. Staff is for kiteing or pre dh rotation bomb

• Thorstienn.1642Thorstienn.1642 Member ✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019

Staff is a competitive weapon, and a really good one at that.
    Meanwhile, dagger/dagger has a great sustain synergy whilst building LF: 3 (immobile foe and bleed self), 5(weaken and bleed foe), 2 heal self and damage foe (both increased by bleeds on foe and self), 4 blind and transfer conditions to foe, AA for LF to get in shroud again.

Edit: changed "for"s to "foe"s

• Tom Hsiao.9705Tom Hsiao.9705 Member ✭✭✭

Necro staff is more of a life force building weapon. It doesn’t do a lot of damage but I like to use it when I’m running MM build lol
    Skill 2 heals your minions and do little damage to mobs... skill 3 kinda mah I spam it doesn’t do much for me.
    Skill 4 transfer condition is quite nice and skill 5 cc is for your breaking bar...I just wish the necro staff do a little more damage otherwise it’s not too bad overall. Consider all the skills are aoe except skill 1... which should also be aoe!!

I think necro staff is better than ele’s earth and lighting staff tho. It’s like everything all build into one weapon.

Don’t just argue for the sake of arguing, I don’t have time for trolls!

• The damage has to be increased and it's auto attack sped up to match other staffs in the game, this would make it useful as a counter to the current bomb blobs in WvW.

• Nimon.7840Nimon.7840 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    The damage has to be increased and it's auto attack sped up to match other staffs in the game, this would make it useful as a counter to the current bomb blobs in WvW.

Not really. This would only make bomb blobs even more effective

• Staff is a utility weapon, unless you use it on a condition build where it is kinda usefull to do damage through conditions. It can be very effective if used with the terror trait, for damaging fear. I'd run it in pvp only on condi scourge and condi core necro. If you go power reaper or power core you really dont need it. It has great use in wvw since coupled with wells can be use to bomb an enemy zerg.

• Vlad Morbius.1759Vlad Morbius.1759 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    The damage has to be increased and it's auto attack sped up to match other staffs in the game, this would make it useful as a counter to the current bomb blobs in WvW.

Not really. This would only make bomb blobs even more effective

Sorry what I meant to say was a counter to Scourges without having to play a damnable scourge lol!

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:
    Staff is a utility weapon, unless you use it on a condition build where it is kinda usefull to do damage through conditions. It can be very effective if used with the terror trait, for damaging fear. I'd run it in pvp only on condi scourge and condi core necro. If you go power reaper or power core you really dont need it. It has great use in wvw since coupled with wells can be use to bomb an enemy zerg.

To your part, this is a problem today for power builds, the staff is almost useless and without it Reapers have virtually no range attack, most everything we do have is far too slow in competitive play like WVW or PVP to make range effective. In my view if they don't want to buff staff then they need to speed up skills like necrotic grasp, soul grasp and grasping darkness. As it is today it is far too easy to outrun, dodge or use the terrain for Reapers to be very effective in many circumstances.

Staff has lost some potency over the years but still has value in competitive play. Its dps was always low and is abysmal in the current state of the game but its design provides utility to excuse some of its low damage issue.

Staff's value is from LF generation, its ranged and targetable traps (Marks) with a large AoE, and the utility it offers in those marks. Few weapon concepts are this good even if its damage output and utilities have not kept up with the game.

• Nimon.7840Nimon.7840 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Anchoku.8142 said:
    Staff has lost some potency over the years but still has value in competitive play. Its dps was always low and is abysmal in the current state of the game but its design provides utility to excuse some of its low damage issue.

Staff's value is from LF generation, its ranged and targetable traps (Marks) with a large AoE, and the utility it offers in those marks. Few weapon concepts are this good even if its damage output and utilities have not kept up with the game.

Then we get to a whole different problem: every good build runs soulreaping.
    -On staff you almost have to take it for lf-gen
    -on power builds for extra dmg
    -on Condi builds for extra dmg

And on all builds: more lf gen, more CDR for shroud abilities, bigger lf pool.

But is the traitline that strong?
    I don't think so. It's more that you don't have other good options to choose from.

• Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019

Staff is amazing for kitting a team support why u waiting for cds. I don’t even use lfgain trait on it I use swiftness trait.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:

Then we get to a whole different problem: every good build runs soulreaping.
    -On staff you almost have to take it for lf-gen
    -on power builds for extra dmg
    -on Condi builds for extra dmg

And on all builds: more lf gen, more CDR for shroud abilities, bigger lf pool.

But is the traitline that strong?
    I don't think so. It's more that you don't have other good options to choose from.

Excellent point!

Necro sustain is so strongly dependent LF and shroud cool down that not taking it feels bad. Death Magic and Blood Magic do not give that much personal sustain.

Considering the dps aspect, DM offers nothing, though BM offers group sustain and a bit of dps.

Taking the mandatory SR gives the already useful staff more utility with its reduced CD. Soul Marks is good. Speed of Shadows is good for non-staff builds like in PvE. Unyielding Blast seems worthless, though, because it only gives vulnerability on Life Blast so it has limited situational use.

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am beginning to appreciate the staff as i find it covers a pretty big gap in the Reaper's arsenal. Pitiful tagging ability in open world groups

• EmmetOtter.8542EmmetOtter.8542 Member ✭✭✭

@LucianDK.8615 said:
    I am beginning to appreciate the staff as i find it covers a pretty big gap in the Reaper's arsenal. Pitiful tagging ability in open world groups

I think it has really good open world tagging abilities.

• 1200 range
    • An auto attack that can go through multiple baddies if you target the guy in the back
    • 3 long range AOE abilities (not counting the fear which you wouldn't use for tagging)

If the baddies are already engaged, you do enough damage to tag but not switch aggro to you.
    If you want to aggro unegaged baddies, you should be able to easily hit multiple groups and still have time to switch to your main weapon before they get to you.

You just have to be good at ground targeting and there are multiple game options to make that more convenient. Or you can use the Taco overlay with the mouse highlight option which gives you a great, high visibility mouse cursor option.

What else would you want for tagging?

• XECOR.2814XECOR.2814 Member ✭✭✭

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

• 1200 range
    • An auto attack that can go through multiple baddies if you target the guy in the back
    • 3 long range AOE abilities (not counting the fear which you wouldn't use for tagging)

If the baddies are already engaged, you do enough damage to tag but not switch aggro to you.
    If you want to aggro unegaged baddies, you should be able to easily hit multiple groups and still have time to switch to your main weapon before they get to you.

You just have to be good at ground targeting and there are multiple game options to make that more convenient. Or you can use the Taco overlay with the mouse highlight option which gives you a great, high visibility mouse cursor option.

Open world application of a weapon is irrelevant.

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

• 1200 range

I think the "pitiful tagging ability" was associated to reaper and the staff is what cover this weakness of the reaper.

• EmmetOtter.8542EmmetOtter.8542 Member ✭✭✭

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:

• 1200 range

I think the "pitiful tagging ability" was associated to reaper and the staff is what cover this weakness of the reaper.

Ooohhh. That makes total sense.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

5. Aoe fest- CC

See you ingame \○/

Don't be dissing my dagger bro!!
    my dedicated healing skill is on that beast :P

I mostly used staff as a setup/trap weapon for my hybrid corruptor.

Pop down marks then aggro, swap to sceptor and start stacking condi's.
    By the time they've reached my marks i've applied a few condis to myself too which get trasferred when mark 4 is triggered, plus additional bleeds and chill.

I don't find staff all that useful as an in combat weapon though.. it could definitely use a rework, perhaps less damage/condi application but marks gaining ammo and having multiple uses and the ability to place multiple of the same mark down allowing Necros to pretty much make a magic minefield.
    Also more CC with it over damage would be fun, add slow and enfeeble to it to make it more of a offensive support weapon.
    Could certainly see Necros being able to play tactically with that.

• Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

5. Aoe fest- CC

See you ingame \○/

just saying it could be better lol

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:
    Hello fellow necros,

5. Aoe fest- CC

See you ingame \○/

just saying it could be better lol

It could :)
    I'd settle for just bringing back the ability to hit 3 targets lol
    Skill 2 and 3 are great though ^^ Life Siphon is an awesome healing skill if you take advantage of it.
    Decent dmg, great heal and small CD, only problem is it can be evaded and blocked which can leave you in a pickle lol
    that short CD does help there though.
    Combine it with minion life steal and some tankier stats though and it's awesome ^^

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.