Mastery Point Reallocation - Please Add This Feature

Can we please get the QoL feature of being able to reallocate mastery points however we wish? The mastery system tends to fill up with one-time use skills (Oakheart's Reach, Counter Magic, Siren of Orr, Etc.) that have little to no use outside of one area of the game. As time goes on, more of these turn up...I'm betting the Icebrood Saga masteries will have little use in Cantha.

My hope is that the End of Dragons expansion comes with a full Mastery system overhaul that allows this feature. The dream would be that mastery points become universal, refundable and useable on any mastery track you want at any time...but even a refund system within mastery tracks would be enough.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:Can we please get the QoL feature of being able to reallocate mastery points however we wish? The mastery system tends to fill up with one-time use skills (Oakheart's Reach, Counter Magic, Siren of Orr, Etc.) that have little to no use outside of one area of the game. As time goes on, more of these turn up...I'm betting the Icebrood Saga masteries will have little use in Cantha.

My hope is that the End of Dragons expansion comes with a full Mastery system overhaul that allows this feature. The dream would be that mastery points become universal, refundable and useable on any mastery track you want at any time...but even a refund system within mastery tracks would be enough.

Seems like a great idea! Would be pretty cool!

I remember when HoT came out and unlocking certain masteries were needed to progress the story. But I did not know which one would be needed next. I ended up spending my points on the wrong mastery and could not progress the story until I had managed to acquire enough points for the one I needed. After that I did not use any mastery points until the story said what I needed next.

Was not an ideal way to play. Being able to reset them would have been useful.

You can reset how you assigned things in WvW, so why not with this too.

The entire point of the different mastery point types is specifically so you can't stockpile points and just speed through new content.If I could use all my points, I'd have like 60+ extra points to just dump on anything new. And yes I'm currently at max mastery.There are more than enough points to get you through the new content.

I would also say no. There is indeed more than enough spare and you get them by just getting insights and playing the game. As for the HoT mentioned... the story tells you which masteries you need. You can prevent wasting exp by activating mastery lines (when full do not spend the mastery points, but click to learn another mastery) so you can spend the points when you see that is the next thing needed (or look on wiki as they are mentioned there too). For HoT there are many easy mastery points to get via activities and metas. Living worlds make things easier, they give you extra insights and extras via achievements on top. I actually like that each region has its own set of mastery points. Makes you having a goal to strike for and have some sort of progress.

That doesn't seem...well, fair. To be able to use Mastery Points one place to gain achievements/rewards, then use the same Mastery Points another place to gain achievements/rewards...is not what was/is intended, I'd guess.

Or, if this 'feature' was implemented (in the next expansion, only), the Mastery Points would be pretty difficult to attain.

There are excess mastery points for each of the expansions and IBS (this acronym makes me think of something else which can kind of describe the entire saga in a way).

Being able to freely move points in and out of masteries removes the need to acquire the majority of mastery points. It would undermine the progression of the entire system.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:Can we please get the QoL feature of being able to reallocate mastery points however we wish? The mastery system tends to fill up with one-time use skills (Oakheart's Reach, Counter Magic, Siren of Orr, Etc.) that have little to no use outside of one area of the game. As time goes on, more of these turn up...I'm betting the Icebrood Saga masteries will have little use in Cantha.

Oakheart's Reach and Counter Magic still have their uses in other areas, but I know your pain. I have not used Siren of Orr a single time since obtaining it and I still barely understand what it does or how to use it.

I'm going to sound hypocritical here by saying it's a bad idea now, but I wish I had it when I needed it the most.

Like most new players, I spent my points in the first open slot that came along instead of looking at the long game and what the end result could give me. I spent points on Fractal Attunement (11 total) when I don't even touch Fractals. Those points could have gone toward Advanced Logistics (picking up loot automatically) or Legendary Crafting.

Now I tend to hold off on spending MPs until I play a while and know exactly which line I want to finish first. And I ask veteran players what they wish they had done regarding the order to complete.

• 5 weeks later...

This is needed. Not just needed it's absence doesn't make any sense other than Anet trying to artificially make people spend more time in the game for their marketing agenda. Not everyone enjoys grinding achievement points and visiting a million locations just to make their skimmers go underwater. Also it could be a good way for turning of the speed buffs in the cities.

@Tere.4759 said:Disagree with everyone who says it is not needed. It is needed when as in HOT, you need certain mastery points to complete the story.

Same with PoF btw. You need the mastery for increased jumping range for raptor to progress. I do not remember HoT very well. I think you needed both gliding and mushroom.

As for mastery points, I hope we would be able to allocate the points among the same mastery section. Example, between core masteries, move from 1 mastery to another. You cannot move core to HoT though.

Mastery Points are fine. If at all ANet should make more use of masteries throughout the game. They did in fact do stuff along those lines(ley-lines and jumping mushrooms in drizzlewood for exaple) but they could do more. Add some of the siren spots to the core orr maps, add some kodan braziers and meltable walls to core maps in the shiverpeaks, add some Oakheart's rech thingies to HoT maps, the list goes on.

But the amount of points available relative to what is needed to learn new masteries is fine.

@"Tere.4759" said:Disagree with everyone who says it is not needed. It is needed when as in HOT, you need certain mastery points to complete the story.

The mastery requirements to finish the story in HoT:

• Glider Basics, Updraft Use, Bouncing Mushrooms, Exalted Markings and Nuhoch Hunting are required for story completion
  • Counter Magic is required to progress the Living World Season 3 season

This is equivalent to 6 mastery points total in order to unlock access to the entire HoT story (on top of which the required masteries are all the first or second tier in each mastery, and given how masteries unlock progressively as you follow the story it is near impossible to miss these). Counter Magics for living world season 3 requires an addition mastery point for a total of 7.

As of right now, there are a total of 217 Mastery Point unlocks available for HoT (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks), of which 144 are needed in total to complete ALL HoT related masteries, including raid and season masteries.

This leaves you with a spare 73 points in HoT, approximately half of the total required mastery points, to either ignore or accumulate as spares.

The mastery requirements to finish the story in are similar generous (even more since all you really need is the raptor far jump and the bunny), with 148 mastery point unlocks total for the required 110 mastery points. Again with a spare 38 points in PoF to either ignore or accumulate as spares.

So you might disagree, but the actually availability and design of this system does not support your argument.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Absolutely not needed, theres way more mastery points ingame. And you get more thrown in your face in LS3 and 4

I'm closing in on maxing my masteries after half a year away from the game (9 more to go). There are only 5 more mastery points than I need to finish. And all of them are tedious to the maximum (i.e. run the bjorra march meta 25 times... bounce all around the map lighting bugged lighthouses inside of jumping puzzles and not getting credit for them).

It doesn't matter to me. I care more about hitting max points than I do about having the specific skills they unlock (don't even know what they are). But there's no reason why OP's idea is a bad one.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:Absolutely not needed, theres way more mastery points ingame. And you get more thrown in your face in LS3 and 4

I'm closing in on maxing my masteries after half a year away from the game (9 more to go). There are only 5 more mastery points than I need to finish. And all of them are tedious to the maximum (i.e. run the bjorra march meta 25 times... bounce all around the map lighting bugged lighthouses inside of jumping puzzles and not getting credit for them).

If you are referring to the Icebrood Saga and the mastery points related to that, then yes, those are the most scarce currently. That is by design as to not make mastery points and progression completely irrelevant. This was the case with HoT and PoF before that (and notice that those were huge expansion content beginnings with living world season after to additional mastery points on top, unlike these materies, which are introduced via a episodic approach) and towards the end the spare amount of mastery points made this a non issue.

By the time the Icebrood Saga ends, or this mastery points cycle ends in case the next expansion continues to use the Ice Brood Saga mastery points, there will be enough spare points, just as before.

Even so, as of right now, the current available 56 mastery points for the IBS (not actually sure, the wiki has been incorrect in the past and I am currently at 52 IBS points without any more available in the achievement pane), already cover the 43 mastery points required with 13 spare (9 spare in case the wiki is incorrect).

@Fallesafe.5932 said:It doesn't matter to me. I care more about hitting max points than I do about having the specific skills they unlock (don't even know what they are). But there's no reason why OP's idea is a bad one.

The idea is flawed because it is:1.) not needed, give the huge spare amount of mastery points in past content, which will likely be mirrored on current and future content (given the developers have made available 3 times by now a large amount of spare points)2.) makes the entire mastery point system irrelevant if implemented3.) opens way to a ton of potential bugs which can simply be avoided by keeping with the system as is (and we already have had our share of bugs with masteries