Living World Season 1 - Should it be back?

Lonami.2987

I want to see some form of LS1 return based on my own experience of story in the game. To explain: I started off playing just after HOT was released. I hadn't even looked into the game before but my rl friend wanted someone to play through the story with and I could try it for free.

I enjoyed the personal story up until that ending with no boss fight. I was genuinely in the celebration at Fort Trinity thinking 'and this is when we get the surprise last attack!'. I was kind of disappointed but I'd enjoyed it as a whole. Then I find I cannot even play the next story step. All I can find is a cut scene which didn't really explain much for me. I wouldn't have minded paying for it; I don't mind paying for any content in game that isn't part of the original release but that wasn't an option. Admittedly I am a very story driven person. I like all the other aspects of the game but some kind of story to link me to a virtual world is essential. When I found out Anet couldn't even implement story correctly is was a 50/50 for me to uninstall the game. I'm glad I stayed because I enjoy the game, and really like both the expansions, but I remember that moment and I can help but wonder how many new players which help keep this game populated are driven away by the absence of LS1.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:LS1 definitely should return, there's too much content and story lost. I'd even pay for it.I didn't play for achievements back then, but now I'm willing to go for it. So bring it back pls.

Just make everything an instance, change boss and event encounters so you can play them solo and so on...Yes it's a ton of work, but Anet could gain quite some money from that with all the new players that came after the expansions.

And those of us who have been here since the start should have to do w/o new content just to please those that came too late to experience S1 (excuse why doesn't matter). Anet needs to keep doing what they're doing....make new content FOR ALL. Watch the brilliant vid to catch up, it's quite good. Many agree leave S1 in the past and keep moving forward.

For anyone who joined later, it is new content.For more than half of the people who played while it was active, its partially new content.Only a small handful of people at that time managed to experience all the story chapters.I for example played since beta, but i missed almost the entire Eatherblade arc, and the Marionette

Let alone the enormous AP gap between those who played it, couldn’t play it, and those who weren’t even around yet.

So, kudos if you managed to not miss a single update of LS1, you’re on of ye lucky few.But did you also manage to get >50% of its AP?

• 3 months later...

I will have to disagree with Anet and the players who say no. Cryptic and Star Trek Online has all content from day 1 still up and running. New content is always coming out but they never take it away. And it is always free. Something Anet should learn. Since Anet made the mistake with part 1. They have a responsibility to bring it back. It is part of the story and should never had be removed. They can put a small amount of time to it and bring an episode back but it does not need to be fast. Players understand and if it takes 3 to 6 months per episode so be it.

@nukem.1458 said:I will have to disagree with Anet and the players who say no. Cryptic and Star Trek Online has all content from day 1 still up and running. New content is always coming out but they never take it away. And it is always free. Something Anet should learn. Since Anet made the mistake with part 1. They have a responsibility to bring it back. It is part of the story and should never had be removed. They can put a small amount of time to it and bring an episode back but it does not need to be fast. Players understand and if it takes 3 to 6 months per episode so be it.

Do you actually this they have a duty to do this?

I would totally play it again if they ever did but there is no expectation it will ever happen. Based on their actions to date the chances of this are very low. Going over and over again on this isn't going to change that.

They are not cryptic and should not have to be. It really is not up to us no matter how many times it is polled or how many tears are shed. Maybe the will do it who can say but saying they should over and over changes nothing. The have no responsibility at all to even keep the game going and could close the doors tomorrow and it really is not up to us. There is no legal issue here which would denote responsibility, other than that they have agreed to nothing.

Nothing was removed they just don't currently have a way for this to be replayed as it was LIVE content that happened as it occurred not on a re-playable slide show. The overview you can now watch is most likely all we are ever going to get.

I guess you can keep checking your stocking though and it might come to pass one day. As a person who does not liked being demanded of though at work I can say if they see these threads it is probably a big turn off to them to really want to look into it very deeply. You have frankly no idea the time nor do I it would take so stop making assumptions.

With those Temporal domes we got an Jahai allowing us to relive past experiences It may actually be possible to revive some of the old living world 1 battles in a different map.I'm sure many players would love to have the Breachmaker event and other LW1 fights as open world events in a future map using this temporal mechanic.Even getting a Rematch with the Shatterer was a great experience ^^

Hell why not even a giant dome that periodically changes it's events.. but each event is more or less an actual world boss style event.First Hour, Karka invasion of old LASecond Hour, Twisted marionetteThird Hour, Breachmaker invasion of LAFourth Hour, War in Kryta! Help defend Gw1 Lions Arch against an invading army of White Mantle and Murzaat forces!

Gw1 fans would freak out if they added that last one in :) specially if they could obtain Medal of Honor items and trade them to a uniqe Lionguard NPC who would give them GW2 Oppressor's weapon skins just like you could in Gw1.That would be one hell of a throwback.

@nukem.1458 said:I will have to disagree with Anet and the players who say no. Cryptic and Star Trek Online has all content from day 1 still up and running. New content is always coming out but they never take it away. And it is always free. Something Anet should learn. Since Anet made the mistake with part 1. They have a responsibility to bring it back. It is part of the story and should never had be removed. They can put a small amount of time to it and bring an episode back but it does not need to be fast. Players understand and if it takes 3 to 6 months per episode so be it.

You are mistaken about Cryptic.

@"Teratus.2859" said:With those Temporal domes we got an Jahai allowing us to relive past experiences It may actually be possible to revive some of the old living world 1 battles in a different map.I'm sure many players would love to have the Breachmaker event and other LW1 fights as open world events in a future map using this temporal mechanic.Even getting a Rematch with the Shatterer was a great experience ^^

Hell why not even a giant dome that periodically changes it's events.. but each event is more or less an actual world boss style event.First Hour, Karka invasion of old LASecond Hour, Twisted marionetteThird Hour, Breachmaker invasion of LAFourth Hour, War in Kryta! Help defend Gw1 Lions Arch against an invading army of White Mantle and Murzaat forces!

Gw1 fans would freak out if they added that last one in :) specially if they could obtain Medal of Honor items and trade them to a uniqe Lionguard NPC who would give them GW2 Oppressor's weapon skins just like you could in Gw1.That would be one hell of a throwback.

temporal domes, time traveling, or fractals, those are the exact opposite of fixes, they will only increase the chances of anet never ever returning the content.If they can put it in a fractal, or area-event, you get a weird cramped, story-less version that will allow anet to say "we gave a slice of the pizza you enjoyed, now be quiet".it's not just about the boss fights, it's about the story leading from one instance to the next.

@Teratus.2859 said:With those Temporal domes we got an Jahai allowing us to relive past experiences It may actually be possible to revive some of the old living world 1 battles in a different map.I'm sure many players would love to have the Breachmaker event and other LW1 fights as open world events in a future map using this temporal mechanic.Even getting a Rematch with the Shatterer was a great experience ^^

I want the STORY to return, so i can do the story whenever i want. the world bosses where only a small part of the story.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:With those Temporal domes we got an Jahai allowing us to relive past experiences It may actually be possible to revive some of the old living world 1 battles in a different map.I'm sure many players would love to have the Breachmaker event and other LW1 fights as open world events in a future map using this temporal mechanic.Even getting a Rematch with the Shatterer was a great experience ^^

I want the
STORY
to return, so i can do the story whenever i want. the world bosses where only a small part of the story.

As do I, but if that simply isn't possible or never going to happen i'll take what I can get how I can.

• 1 month later...

Like some have suggested, I'd just make small, bite-size instances that we can access directly from the Story Journal. Maybe four or five. There's a HUGE hole in the story and I've watched the in-game recap videos and read all the in-game dialogue; nothing stuck with me because the point of a game is that you EXPERIENCE it.

The new characters just kind of appear out of nowhere, you start off with Destiny's Edge, then you slay your first Elder Dragon, and all the video recap really tells you that there was this crazy Sylvari lady that drove a giant drill into a Ley-Line, which woke up a second dragon. Oh, and some dudettes and dudes helped kill her. They are your new crew now. Good luck. I struggled really hard to care for any of the new characters throughout LWS2, Heart of Thorns and LWS3. By the beginning of Path of Fire, I got kinda used to them and then I started maybe liking a few first, then the whole bunch.

I don't look back on LWS1 fondly because it had a lot of things I didn't like. Also, LWS1 combined with me starting college made me quit the game right when LWS1 ended. I remember thinking "if this is how they want to deliver content, I'm out". I felt like I couldn't keep up, and fast forward to today (just finished LWS4 ep.4), I STILL had a feeling, the entire time when I was doing the story, that there's something I'm missing. And there was: Canach's backstory, Taimi's disease, Rox... pretty much everything.

However, even though I don't like how LWS1 panned out, I still think the story itself was kind of cool (even if I didn't like the way it was delivered). So again, I'd just add a few "made from scratch" story instances, no maps, no events, anything like that, just the story in PLAYABLE format. I'd pay money/gems to play it.

@"Lonami.2987" said:There's also

, which makes some minor mistakes, but it's pretty great anyway.

What are they, if anyone knows?

I joined GW2 right at the end of the battle in Lions Arch, at the time I was actually only level 35 so I missed pretty much all of it. To me the most confusing part was finally finishing the personal story and going to LS2 and not knowing who Taimi, Braham, Rox and Marjory were and why they kept calling me boss. At least some kind of re introduction video would be nice. I started to click on the video link above, but since it's over 3 hours, I immediately exited it.

@jbrother.1340 said:

Do you actually this they have a duty to do this?

I would totally play it again if they ever did but there is no expectation it will ever happen. Based on their actions to date the chances of this are very low. Going over and over again on this isn't going to change that.

They are not cryptic and should not have to be. It really is not up to us no matter how many times it is polled or how many tears are shed. Maybe the will do it who can say but saying they should over and over changes nothing. The have no responsibility at all to even keep the game going and could close the doors tomorrow and it really is not up to us. There is no legal issue here which would denote responsibility, other than that they have agreed to nothing.

Nothing was removed they just don't currently have a way for this to be replayed as it was LIVE content that happened as it occurred not on a re-playable slide show. The overview you can now watch is most likely all we are ever going to get.

I guess you can keep checking your stocking though and it might come to pass one day. As a person who does not liked being demanded of though at work I can say if they see these threads it is probably a big turn off to them to really want to look into it very deeply. You have frankly no idea the time nor do I it would take so stop making assumptions.

As you never played Star Trek Online since Launch Cryptic actually went back and recreated 2 story arcs to make them better. They took the time to go back. Can Anet go back and create a new 5 part story. Yes. Do they want to well that is where a player friendly community comes in. That is where dev's who love the game and there work are part of a friendly community. NCsoft had one. It was called Paragon Studios.

No. I was there. I remember what it was really like, and without the rose glasses.

It was, by far, the worst content period in the history of the game. It was disruptive, had stupid writing (yes, not just bad writing, but stupid writing), had terrible and repetitive content design. I literally quit the game because it was so bad. Seriously, the entire thing was Faction X + Faction Y invade zone Z, drop Yet Another Currency $, and you farm them for two mindless weeks for the privilege of trading Currency $ for miniatures. Do that for a year. Yawn.

If you want to play the Marrionette fight today, go play Vinewrath in silverwastes. It's mechanics are identical, except there's 3 lanes instead of 5. It's literally the same fight, just the baddies are green instead of metal. Also, people show up for it. Why does everyone forget that Marrionette was a depopulated boneyard after the first weekend? Nobody at the time care enough to do it; if you didn't get the kill achieve in the first two days you never did.

Which leaves the invasion of LA as the only thing worth mentioning. Make a fractal out of it. Done.

@"Rhyse.8179" said:No. I was there. I remember what it was really like, and without the rose glasses.

It was, by far, the worst content period in the history of the game. It was disruptive

THIS. This was the word I was looking for. During that time I always felt like "why do you keep messing with the game so much?!", if felt like someone came into my house every other day and rearrange the furniture to something completely different for a very lacking reason.

Still, it did introduce characters that have stuck with us till the end of LWS4. If nothing else, I guess they could adapt the recap video to better introduce the whole band AND the whole Scarlet debacle instead of some dialogue prompts with little context and meaning (not to mention emotional involvement). I think the lack of backstory and context for the characters themselves is the biggest issue with LWS1 missing, the plot itself can be summed up in one sentence like Rhyse just did.

If anyone here has played KoTOR and they know who HK-47 was, they know how little, for example, "HK-47 was an extremely vitriolically brilliant assassin-disguised-as-protocol-droid who belonged to Revan" would actually tell you about that character. Running around with him, hearing his reactions, talking to him, seeing how he is involved in the story arc(s), THAT's what made him stick, at least for me. Sorry but no line of dialogue would ever convince me the way playing the game did.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:You know, there are some pretty talented comic writers and drawers.Maybe anet could hire a small team and rewrite LS1 in a webcomic style?Just a random idea, know some people will hate and love it

What's the point? We all know the story, there is a 2+ hours video summary on YouTube. What people want is to be able to replay it.

It's kind of helpful to have the episode list up, because it reminds me just how few episodes I'd ever want to replay.

The Lost Shores: Oh dear.All 4 Flame and Frost episodes: Nope. Pointless kill 10 not-rats quests in the open world and a few dungeons which I had no interest in.The Secret of Southsun/Last Stand at Southsun: The story instances of these might be worth revisiting to give some background on Canach. That's about itDragon Bash: This was just another festival, which doesn't really need to make a comeback as we're spoiled for choice on those alreadySky Pirates of Tyria: More dungeons I had no interest inBazaar of the Four Winds: This is already back as an annual event nowCutthroat Politics: The story instance explains... nothing of particular note these days. And the rest of it is even more irrelevant nowQueen's Jubilee: Also an annual eventClockwork Chaos: I skipped this oneTequatl Rising: This hasn't even been removedTwilight Assault: Ditto aboveTower of Nightmares/The Nightmares Within/The Nightmare Is Over: This one was actually quite interesting and I'd enjoy seeing it again. As the reinstatement has been in fractal form however, I'll give it a missFractured: Thaumanova Fractal is still in the gameThe Origins of Madness: This was quite interesting, and would be worth a revisit as a prequel to LS2 I thinkThe Edge of the Mists: The zone's still there, and I'm pretty sure I forgot the plot for a reasonEscape from Lion's Arch/Battle for Lion's Arch: This would be tricky to adapt for a story instance, but would be one of the essential elements if so.

So I suppose that accounting for all the content that has been removed and not reinstated yet, there are about two events I'd play again, both close to the end of LS1 when the content was beginning to improve dramatically. The rest are either still there or I didn't think they were that great in the first place.

• 4 months later...

I understand that it would quite the endeavour, but I wish they would bring it back. Even though I've been playing since the closed beta (off and on), I missed out on most of LWS1. And what I didn't miss out on, I can't remember. I would love to play that content!

I know folks say it wasn't that great. Got that. But. Folks say that LW4 isn't that great and frankly, I have enjoyed LW4. I guess, I would enjoy being able to judge for myself how great or not great LW1 would or would not be. And no, a video just can't do that.

Parts of it were great. However parts of it dragged and people moaned and complained about Scarlet continuously. One big problem is that the major parts were big group events, like the map invasions. Those could be recreated but what a big story line mess, different types of map invasions from Scarlet running alongside invasions from the Lich with anomalies popping up and rifts, Lions Arch destroyed/recreated again and the Karka invasion and whatever else I’ve forgotten. Maybe if they somehow make them instanced but that would remove the epic scale of fighting alongside a whole map full of people that was a core part of that experience.

It'd be nice to have a better introduction to Kasmeer, Marjory, Canach, Braham, etc. than starting up LS2 ep1 and having a bunch of random folks say, "Remember me? Remember all those adventures we had together? No? Guess you'd better go check the wiki, then, because we're not going to explain!"

Since ANet runs more than one story line at a time on the core maps right now, making it a big confusing mishmash, maybe what they could do is recreate the S1 story and then cycle through the whole gw2 story that’s has been on the core maps in sequence. A fast forward through the story, with the exception that current story events from the current Season on the maps run alongside until they are replaced with the next Seasons story. At that time the previous Season’s events are added to the event cycle. That would give everyone a chance to go through the story in sequence, give more events to do and if you miss it you wait and it will cycle through again.

Of course that would mean some things/achievements would be unobtainable until it cycles through again, such as the current Season events, rifts for the Skyscale, but at least they would be eventually available and it would mean old unavailable achievements would be possible to do.

@"Tarlonniel.6534" said:It'd be nice to have a better introduction to Kasmeer, Marjory, Canach, Braham, etc. than starting up LS2 ep1 and having a bunch of random folks say, "Remember me? Remember all those adventures we had together? No? Guess you'd better go check the wiki, then, because we're not going to explain!"

Yeah, starting LWS2 was very jarring because of that. I think that’s why it took me a while to get caught up on the story after Zhaitan because I really disliked interacting with all these characters that I didn’t know but my character does. It would be nice to have story instances to replay the introduction of these characters and the main plot points of LWS1. Having them as fractals doesn’t count as I don’t know where they fit in with the story and it doesn’t mean anything to me without any context, just a random adventure with random people like Deepstone.