Possibly the new Rev Silhouette

Raknar.4735

5 hours ago, Jijimuge.4675 said:

I like the idea and see where you're going with this, but IIRC Rurik wielded the fiery dragon sword Sohothin;  the sword in the picture is quite different.  As I recall, his flaming sword was quite iconic for him.  There's a little wisp of fire around the sword....I would have expected more if it were intended to evoke parallels to Sohothin.

OTOH, the sword in the image is golden and quite ornate, so looks like the sword of someone with wealth and status.  So perhaps the new legend is of someone with some kind of royal status?

In the real world a sword with that much gold and ornamentation as well as the (somewhat impractical) spikes would be a dress/ceremonial blade....but of course GW2 allows a lot of leeway re using impractical weapons.

Either Rurik or his father. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/King_Adelbern 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jijimuge.4675 said:

I like the idea and see where you're going with this, but IIRC Rurik wielded the fiery dragon sword Sohothin;  the sword in the picture is quite different.  As I recall, his flaming sword was quite iconic for him.  There's a little wisp of fire around the sword....I would have expected more if it were intended to evoke parallels to Sohothin.

OTOH, the sword in the image is golden and quite ornate, so looks like the sword of someone with wealth and status.  So perhaps the new legend is of someone with some kind of royal status?

In the real world a sword with that much gold and ornamentation as well as the (somewhat impractical) spikes would be a dress/ceremonial blade....but of course GW2 allows a lot of leeway re using impractical weapons.

To be fair, in GW2 that colour could mean orichalcum which would still make for a practical weapon rather than gold which, well, doesn't.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 3:51 AM, Acheron.4576 said:

To be honest, I think the closest thing to spirit Rit in gw2 is memser more than renegade. Clones/Phantasms are basically spirits. You call them out, they attack and draw attacks away from you, and the whole concept is you manipulate them through out the fight.

As for what I would like to see is a weapon spell Rit concept. Imagine a greatsword weapon and you cast this games version of splinter weapon turning your attacks into cleaves. This is just an example. Using different types of weapon spell depending on the situation at hand.

Mesmer is just a pet summoner. And they are not alone in that regard, necro can summon minions, too. I don't see how that is similar to ritualist.

Ritualist spirits were immobile summons that did damage, yes, but also provided party benefits, which other clones/phantams/minions don't. Renegade 2 spirits that do damage, and 3 that provide buffs, which is why it's closest to ritualist.

3 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Mesmer is just a pet summoner. And they are not alone in that regard, necro can summon minions, too. I don't see how that is similar to ritualist.

Ritualist spirits were immobile summons that did damage, yes, but also provided party benefits, which other clones/phantams/minions don't. Renegade 2 spirits that do damage, and 3 that provide buffs, which is why it's closest to ritualist.

Phantasms used to provide party benefits. The old Phantasmal Defender was the best example, Disenchanter used to remove conditions from allies, and Illusionary Avenger (the chronomancer phantasm) used to give alacrity as its primary purpose. There were also traits that could enhance this. All of which got blown away in the phantasm rework, since sustained party boons wasn't a viable role for summons that generally only existed long enough to perform a single attack.

So post-rework phantasms don't really work much like spirits (they're really more like a fancy attack skill with the additional counterplay in that it's technically possible to kill or disable the phantasm before the attack lands), but there was a time when it could have been viewed as an analogue.

Engineer was always the intended home for the ritualist playstyle, though... or, rather, ritualist was designed as a home for an engineer playstyle in the lower-tech GW1 setting. Problem with that, though, is that most turrets have been nerfed out of practicality for years.

23 hours ago, GrayHawk.7560 said:

The blue and red colouring is entirely consistent with core Rev's weapon skill tool tips, the blue flames may not be flames at all and may just be rift energy (see Hammer's skill 4 tool tip),  the most pronounced colour is the sword itself which is warrior colouring, the sword looks like it could be a Tengu weapon, it also looks like the tool tip for Talon Silverwing's " quivering blade" skill.  Tengu are thematically on point given that they protected the Celestials, people have already pointed out the similarity in shape of the Rev eye looking icon and Talon Swiftwing/Soar Honorclaw's silhouette.  My bet is a Tengu and either Talon, his descendant who led the exodus or one of the Honorclaws.

Do the people that say Talon actually him as a legend? 

Revenant can channel any one of the powerhouses in Tyria's history, why choose a random Tengu with no special ability of his own? 

On 8/28/2021 at 11:14 AM, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

You guys are looking too much into the art color. It was the same with WB when ppl thought its thief spec bc of some red. I highly doubt it will be another blue colored themed legend cuz we already have 2. Spikes on armor is general rev desing as well and all specs have it

WB's source of red were details on the armor and swords, the people that were saying thief were high on copium.

This teaser on the other hand is summoning blue flames, it's not just some minor detail, and they don't look like they have been edited, same with the sword. Only the silouette is obscured.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Phantasms used to provide party benefits. The old Phantasmal Defender was the best example, Disenchanter used to remove conditions from allies, and Illusionary Avenger (the chronomancer phantasm) used to give alacrity as its primary purpose. There were also traits that could enhance this. All of which got blown away in the phantasm rework, since sustained party boons wasn't a viable role for summons that generally only existed long enough to perform a single attack.

So post-rework phantasms don't really work much like spirits (they're really more like a fancy attack skill with the additional counterplay in that it's technically possible to kill or disable the phantasm before the attack lands), but there was a time when it could have been viewed as an analogue.

Engineer was always the intended home for the ritualist playstyle, though... or, rather, ritualist was designed as a home for an engineer playstyle in the lower-tech GW1 setting. Problem with that, though, is that most turrets have been nerfed out of practicality for years.

Turrets have the immobility, but they too are very damage/cc oriented. Only the healing turret provides party support.

Honestly, if renegade was skinned differently, nobody would think twice about declaring it a true gw2 ritualist. The mechanics and gameplay is there, people are just attached to the spooky chained ghosts visuals.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

WB's source of red were details on the armor and swords, the people that were saying thief were high on copium.

This teaser on the other hand is summoning blue flames, it's not just some minor detail, and they don't look like they have been edited, same with the sword. Only the silhouette is obscured.

To be fair, initially those marks of colour were the only hint that was picked up on. Once it became evident that the armour was a specific (heavy) set, however, there wasn't really any reasonable doubt any more.

But yeah, in this case, I'm pretty sure the colours on everything except the silhouette itself are unmodified. Mind you, it's possible that they just wanted to make sure the sword stood out and the flame-like thing is another silhouette - it would explain why the wisp of orange just happens to be over the sword (that was an element they couldn't remove so easily).

4 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Turrets have the immobility, but they too are very damage/cc oriented. Only the healing turret provides party support.

They could (and still can) be traited to provide a protective bubble and boons. Not enough to really be worthwhile, though. If you go maximum boon duration, you might get... full uptime on some boons that are nice but aren't worth speccing full boon duration for, and/or 60% uptime on protection and resolution. It's pretty much another case of the intent being there, but simply being too weak for turrets to be worth using.

4 minutes ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Honestly, if renegade was skinned differently, nobody would think twice about declaring it a true gw2 ritualist. The mechanics and gameplay is there, people are just attached to the spooky chained ghosts visuals.

Pretty much. It would still have the issue that it would have to keep going back to a core revenant legend, but it takes a lot of copium to think that's likely to change.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Do the people that say Talon actually him as a legend? 

Revenant can channel any one of the powerhouses in Tyria's history, why choose a random Tengu with no special ability of his own? 

Personally I'm just using Talon as an example because he was one of the more recognisable names as far as Tengu's go. As far as Talon does go however, he was a staunch ally of Togo's (who a lot of people want as a legend) , was a leader of the Angchu and was part of the original peace summit.   At the summit he assisted Togo's escape as the summit was an ambush to kill him.   Talon's actions eventually lead to the peace treaty with the Angchu marking the end of the two century long Tengu Wars. 

He was also the original warrior trainer on Shing Jea and as I surmised, the prominent colour of the Greatsword being the same as the warrior's colours could be a hint at a Legendary Warrior Stance (since we have both Demon and Assassin - making Kanaxai difficult unless they call his Reaver stance or something)

Those actions alone are plausible to justify his inclusion in a world where we channel Kalla for doing something similar.

Other Tengu options could be -

Either of the Honorclaws (Swift or Soar), Swift lead the Angchu and was a Warrior/Necro so could have some fun mechanics, his daughter Soar was also an Angchu leader and was an assassin trainer being warrior/assassin.

Talon's as yet unnamed descendant that led the exodus, unification of the Tengu tribes and establishment of the Dominion of winds.

As to why Tengu in the first place, I'm not saying they would be the best choice or even my first choice because they aren't but -

1. Many people wanted Tengu to feature more prominently in EoD

2. They were the guardians of the celestials and part of the We no Su trials

3.  They are a warrior race which would be fitting if we do get a warrior themed spec

4. In GW2 lore they are said to have ancient lost knowledge of the elder dragons

5. They aren't human so still fit in with the multi racial/entity legend theme

Edited by GrayHawk.7560
Added a point which I had forgotten
  • Confused 1

All that being said and given the prominent blue flames / mist energy it would be fun to have the fire icon that looks like super saiyan hair and Rytlock's kamehameha from the 2015 trailer as a skill (I assume like Holo's elite).... 

Before anyone thinks I'm being serious I'm just playing on this one.

For funsies here is the link for anyone who hasn't seen it 

Edited by GrayHawk.7560

3 hours ago, GrayHawk.7560 said:

All that being said and given the prominent blue flames / mist energy it would be fun to have the fire icon that looks like super saiyan hair and Rytlock's kamehameha from the 2015 trailer as a skill (I assume like Holo's elite).... 

Before anyone thinks I'm being serious I'm just playing on this one.

For funsies here is the link for anyone who hasn't seen it 

So Rytlock has been to the Mists, same as Joko.

What if the legend is Rytlock?  😖

• Haha 1

I gotta say, the idea of Rytlock channeling Adelbern is hilarious to me. The pose definitely screams "Foefire" and while Magdaer wasn't a greatsword it was at least a sword.

It would also be nice for Rytlock's story with the Foefire to actually progress. He hasn't done anything since becoming a Revenant. 

I doubt we'll see Ascalon without ghosts. They'll have to rework the entire region.

The Tengu's are being featured a lot more prominently in the current storyline, so I think it'd fit if they carry it on and expand their lore a bit with a legend.

Edited by Heinel.6548

15 minutes ago, Heinel.6548 said:

I doubt we'll see Ascalon without ghosts. They'll have to rework the entire region.

The Tengu's are being featured a lot more prominently in the current storyline, so I think it'd fit if they carry it on and expand their lore a bit with a legend.

The zones would just be frozen in time. Both Flame Legion and Branded should, at the very least, be substantially reduced after S4 and IBS, but the zones mostly remain in their HoT state. Similar for svanir and icebrood in the Shiverpeaks post-IBS, and bandits and centaurs in Kryta post-S3.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The zones would just be frozen in time. Both Flame Legion and Branded should, at the very least, be substantially reduced after S4 and IBS, but the zones mostly remain in their HoT state. Similar for svanir and icebrood in the Shiverpeaks post-IBS, and bandits and centaurs in Kryta post-S3.

You'd have to rework all events and hearts and enemies, soo... woudln't be worth it.
Especially as it would spoiler or confuse players who haven't yet played the story.

4 minutes ago, Brunnsteinangel.2568 said:

You'd have to rework all events and hearts and enemies, soo... woudln't be worth it.
Especially as it would spoiler or confuse players who haven't yet played the story.

Which is why the zones would be frozen *shrug*

That's the point I was making - there are several zones that are still filled with enemies that should be gone according to the story. Undoing the Foefire could be among them. Especially if there's some handwave like "it will take some time for all of the ghosts to pass on".

• Like 1

As much as I love the idea of the Ritualist coming back, I'm hoping for the new Rev Spec to have more diversity with their Utility skills. The Herald and Renegade have the straightforward line of skills. 

The core rev legends like Shiro and Jalis have unique skill types that make their playstyle versatile. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, Jumpel.3972 said:

I wondering  which e-spec icon correspond to this.

They change the position of the harbinger icon to fit the reveal order. So the next one to be reveal look like to be the flame icon but it doesn't really fit to Rev.

Then the last picture show a blue flame 🤔

Maybe that blue flame means guardian will finally get a burn spec.

2 hours ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

If it's indeed Foefire related, I hope it's Adelbern and called Legendary Sorcerer Stance, since he's known as the Sorcerer-King.

Don’t know why but I see something from Orr in this sword’s guard. About Adelbern… I think that he is not so important (in global perspective) and strong.

As a former adventurer (not world-saving hero) he basically just used super-strong sword - not much of his own power. He is just like Rurik - Royal from fallen Kingdom… also - pretty much insane in the end. 

Adelbern - very important character for human kingdoms. Not as a hero/villain or other strong being but as crazy king who killed and cursed his own people. His only important possible future - if his soul “merged” with Foefire, apart from this - he is just like Queen Jenna, not much more 😄

… but - isn’t our mighty Foefire swords - from Orr too?

So… yep - blue fire and sword guard in Orrian (..?) style, maybe-maybe…

• Confused 1