We need more Metal Legion.

Please Anet add more Metal Legion instances in other parts of the world. I would personally love to see a Metal Legion concert in Lion's Arch during Halloween, maybe out in the corn field to the south east.

I can see the events reworked with Thorn's minions trying to crash the concert to give it a festive twist.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

One of the most delightful parts of the game in recent memory. Hard to know how much would be too much, though. Kinda like when that side character in your favorite entertainment becomes a main character, and you realize there was a reason they were a side character.

If done well, and not too much, it would be nice to see more Metal Legion.

• Like 3

I don't even like metal and I loved Metal Legion.  I too would love more concerts around the world.

Sadly the devs said after Prologue release that it was far too resource intensive and they simply can't do it again.  I think it might have been in the stream about the making of Metal Legion, or in a Guild Chat not long after that.

3 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

What we need is a Sylvari vegan power-violence ambient punk, and an Asura industrial dark synthwave.

And more Metal Legion of course. 😁

This. 

Why do so many people have this weird assumption that sylvari music should be something Enya-like anyway? I'm all for power-violence ambient punk! 🤩

• Like 2

Great idea! Still remember the (Elite) Tauren Chieftain concerts in Wow, loved what Blizzard did with those.

3 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

I would like a Metal Legion boombox novelty toy. It sounded cool playing on the tank speakers during the Forging Steel instance.

Also this!

3 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

This. 

Why do so many people have this weird assumption that sylvari music should be something Enya-like anyway? I'm all for power-violence ambient punk! 🤩

I imagine sylvari music would be the most experimental because they're still a relatively young race so they don't have a lot of established culture to fall back on, and they're often curious about everything. If anyone was going to do Enya style music I think it would be the norn doing something themed around the Spirits of the Wild (although I think the norn would also have a lot of drinking songs with lots of loud energetic choruses everyone can sing along to).

I also want to see an asuran mathcore band incorporating a theremin and sounds sampled from golems, or maybe a golem as one of the band members. To most people it would sound like a mess (sorry mathcore fans) but their fans would insist that's just because they're not smart enough to appreciate the significance of the changing time signatures or whatever.

(Ideally rather than 1 genre per race I'd like to see a variety of music by each one, but that would be a huge amount of work and probably not worth the hassle.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3

id like to see some other racial bands that do other music genres. And not just the obvious ones like asurans doing synthwave. I mean like off the wall, subversive niche genres. I wanna see an asuran band that does british new wave, a norn band that does 2000s linkin park rock music, a human band that does rap...

Edited by Fipmip.7219

54 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I imagine sylvari music would be the most experimental because they're still a relatively young race so they don't have a lot of established culture to fall back on, and they're often curious about everything. 

Exactly. I'd almost expect a few persistent twiggies pestering the Metal Legion guys with wanting to borrow and try their instruments. 🙂 

I also agree with the rest of your post (and must check mathcore when I'b back from work).

And there could be mixed band(s), too. Why stay monoracial when blending is possible. Although such a band might prove to be a major PITA to manage... 😀

1) Sure, let's have more music and in-game concerts.

2) If we had concerts everywhere, the events around it would become boring. Sure, I liked the metal legion concert and the event a lot, but to be fair, after completing the map and the story nine times and doing the event as often as it was necessary for AP purposes. I never really went there again and I don't miss it. If I would, I'd go there more often.

3) As it is, Metal Legion is a pro Charr segregation propaganda band which is heavily entwined with the story of the icebrood saga. Not so sure if the message of "One charr! Let's drink the blood of our enemies! RAWR!!!" would fly in let's say divinity's reach. This is not a strong point and can be fixed by shoddy writing but still.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

This. 

It’s not so weird. They’ve got Celtic derived names, and Arthurian and Sidhe inspirations in their stories.

There’s plenty of room for variety of course. Punk would fit the nightmare court well, or maybe even more so the Soundless.

6 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

This. 

Right? People always picture Sylvari like hippies, mellow and whatever, but they're anything but that. I doubt any Sylvari would even like Enya hahaha! 🤣

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

their fans would insist that's just because they're not smart enough to appreciate the significance of the changing time signatures or whatever.

"Like, oooh, they write their music in a perfect fibonacci sequence and every other bar is derived from Pi numbers, you can't possibly understand that because your IQ is too low to appreciate what they're doing!"

So, Asura mathcore fans are basically real life Tool fans? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If anyone was going to do Enya style music I think it would be the norn doing something themed around the Spirits of the Wild (although I think the norn would also have a lot of drinking songs with lots of loud energetic choruses everyone can sing along to).

Norn are more Scandinavian than Celtic. Nordic folk music fits them better. Hence some of the Wagnerian strains in the Shiverpeaks music.

Definitely agree with the idea of several types of music for each race. With the various factions in each, it would make sense.

Just in Charr, each legion could have its own style, and the  Olmalkhan could have something wonderfully divergent.

5 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Right? People always picture Sylvari like hippies, mellow and whatever, but they're anything but that. I doubt any Sylvari would even like Enya hahaha! 🤣

“More violets, less violence, I say.”

Some very much are. Some aren’t. Which is better writing for a race than they all are or aren’t one thing. There’s definitely enough hippy-like ones to give people that impression.

10 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Norn are more Scandinavian than Celtic. Nordic folk music fits them better. Hence some of the Wagnerian strains in the Shiverpeaks music.

Definitely agree with the idea of several types of music for each race. With the various factions in each, it would make sense.

Just in Charr, each legion could have its own style, and the  Olmalkhan could have something wonderfully divergent.

I was thinking of it more in terms of which genres or styles suit the 'personality' of the race, rather than trying to match up ones from the real-life cultures which inspired the race. Norn are probably the most nature 'focused' with the Spirits of the Wild being an important part of every day life for a lot of them, and also tend to be very traditional and put a lot of importance in maintaining and passing on old legends, so I think they'd be more likely to create something like Enya and other real-life folk music.

Sylvari have a lot of Celtic names, but other than that and a few references to Arthurian legends there's not a lot of similarity there.

36 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Sylvari have a lot of Celtic names, but other than that and a few references to Arthurian legends there's not a lot of similarity there.

Interesting!

I've always seen those inspirations as pretty deep in the way the Sylvari are written, not just as flavor sprinkled over the top. In addition to the names and the personal story, the Firstborn court and the Nightmare Court always seemed like reflections of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts. The Sylvari have this sort of agelessness and youthful wonder together that feels like the Sidhe as well, and the pale tree functions as a sort of Queen Mab.

As reformed dragon minions, they also fit the strange place the Sidhe occupy, not damned, but not able to be redeemed like the sons of Adam. Ventari's Tablet (although more new age, neo-Buddhist than medieval Christian) as a chivalric code that allows them to rise above their base nature (as dragon minions). Their time in the dream before emerging gives each Sylvari an Arthurian vision quest (although not all of them are Wild Hunts, many we wouldn't eve recognize as "quests").

The roots of Sylvari lore in the Sidhe and Arhturian legend are part of what drew me to them, and one of the reasons why almost all of my characters are Sylvari.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

“More violets, less violence, I say.”

Some very much are. Some aren’t. Which is better writing for a race than they all are or aren’t one thing. There’s definitely enough hippy-like ones to give people that impression.

Yes, the banker's whole personality is based on a pun lol, so i wouldn't call that character developmnet. 😛

But the ones that are developed, do tend to steer towards action and well, violence. They are a new race after all, and judging from who created them, it's no wonder, they were probably meant for violence too had they not been saved.

Thankfully the Tree taught them Ventari manners and now they're as diverse group as any. 😉

1 minute ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yes, the banker's whole personality is based on a pun lol, so i wouldn't call that character developmnet. 😛

But the ones that are developed, do tend to steer towards action and well, violence. They are a new race after all, and judging from who created them, it's no wonder, they were probably meant for violence too had they not been saved.

Thankfully the Tree taught them Ventari manners and now they're as diverse group as any. 😉

I wouldn't base the whole race on one example either, it was just one example. There is a general "seek out experiences" cultural thing that dovetails with hippy "open your mind". Ventari's tablet is definitely of a new-age, neo-Buddhist kind of philosophy, which also tracks with hippies.

But as you say, they are a diverse group, and too well written (as a whole) not to have inner tensions between their cultural ideals and personal leanings. I like that we have a full range between the Violets Sylvari and Faolain.

It's just that the hippy thing can't be dismissed like, "where do people get this crazy idea?" It's there enough to be one thread in their culture.